PDA

View Full Version : Official "Eat crow about Osi" Thread

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Even as recently as last week I would say we need to make a business decision and part ways. At this point, give him whatever he wants I don't even care anymore.

buddy33
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh good another just pay Osi thread.

I like Osi, but they can not give him what he wants. If they did they would have to let Tuck go. They can not let him go. They need to resign other players that are younger and will be here longer. It is not about hating Osi. It is about money and what they can not give him.

Oh, and before we all hear "you are not a GM so you don't know", please tell me how they "just pay the man" which by the way, they already have in a heavily front loaded contract.

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Oh good another just pay Osi thread.

I like Osi, but they can not give him what he wants. If they did they would have to let Tuck go. They can not let him go. They need to resign other players that are younger and will be here longer. It is not about hating Osi. It is about money and what they can not give him.

Oh, and before we all hear "you are not a GM so you don't know", please tell me how they "just pay the man" which by the way, they already have in a heavily front loaded contract.

I will probably agree with you in a few weeks. At this point I'm still on a high from last night though.

Kruunch
01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Even as recently as last week I would say we need to make a business decision and part ways. At this point, give him whatever he wants I don't even care anymore.

No one has ever had a problem with Osi's performance (2009 aside).

It's how he handled this situation that's been detrimental to the team and I do not agree with giving him whatever he wants. He's an aging player whose best years are behind him, but still juice in the tank.

Whatever team picks him up next (be it the Giants or another team) will pay him as such.

I'd like to see Osi realize that he's made more money over the past few years then several people will collectively see in their lifetimes and decide to retire a Giant.

Be a nice change of pace from all the contract drama of late.

BigBlue1971
01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Osi wont get what he wants. he may be offered an extension to his current contract but JR wont break the bank on him.</P>

he has been an impactful player this season but hes also missed time from the lineup. </P>

personally i think he'll be traded during the off season to an afc team. </P>

buddy33
01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Listen, he is great at what he does, no doubt. However, there are younger guys they need to sign and lets also not forget how many games he missed this year. You don't "just pay" a player that does not play half the season.

GameTime
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I hated how he handled the "pay" thing. I also accused him of hanging out and not playing until the Giants were close or assured to be in the playoffs.....I still kind of feel that way.</P>

BUT....I never dissed his play when he was playing. The guy just flat out makes things happen. he is a game changer....</P>

BlueDog10
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
I will take my crow with a side of of more crow for criticizing Eli during the preseason. And I will wash it all down with crow juice.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Even as recently as last week I would say we need to make a business decision and part ways. At this point, give him whatever he wants I don't even care anymore.</P>

he wants Charles Johnson's contract.</P>

6 years, $72 million with a 30 million signing bonus.</P>

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Even as recently as last week I would say we need to make a business decision and part ways. At this point, give him whatever he wants I don't even care anymore.</P>

he wants Charles Johnson's contract.</P>

6 years, $72 million with a 30 million signing bonus.</P>

A $30 million signing bonus?

WHY? Because he's demonstrated such a solid grasp of front-loaded contracts?

slipknottin
01-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I really dont think Osi wants a 6 year deal, hes already hinted that he doesnt want to play more than a couple more seasons.

I think he just wants guaranteed money, as he has none on his contract right now.

I think they can give it to him.

Hes due to make 4 mil next season. Add another 2 mil to it and make 4 of it guaranteed.

gumby742
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
You will care when we won't be able to resign X favorite player. That's when people will come out wondering why we have no cap money.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
if that's what he wanted, that deal would be done already.</P>

regardless of length, he made it clear that Johnson set the bar for what elite passrushers should get a season.</P>

$7 million -$10 million was his ask in the offseason.</P>

we'll see what it is this offseason and whether he plays.</P>

if i was his agent, i wouldn't let him play the final year of his contract.</P>

buddy33
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Would it count against the cap if they signed him to a 2 year deal but gave him a nice amount as a signing bonus?

PrideofNY
01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I hope they are able to keep him around. Hopefully, they are able to restructure a couple more contracts and retain a couple of the free agents.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
You will care when we won't be able to resign X favorite player. That's when people will come out wondering why we have no cap money.</P>

+1</P>

good point and good post.</P>

gumby742
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
You will care when we won't be able to resign X favorite player. That's when people will come out wondering why we have no cap money.</P>

+1</P>

I love Osi and would love to keep him. It's just not practical to pay him big money with JPP, Tuck, etc on the roster. Use that potential money to resign Cruz, or Nicks, or god knows who else we need to lock up soon .. extend JPP or resign Philips .. whatever.

T-Murda84
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Osi is an IMPACT player on defense when he is on the field. Osi fits the defensive philosophy on this defense...which is to get after the QB with our front 4. Losing Osi would be huge because I think its important to have a fresh and good Defensive Line rotation. The only way to play defense today is to get after the QB since the rule changes benefit the offense.

Jerry Reese needs to pay Osi....and Osi needs to retire as a Giant, we can not lose Osi, JPP, Kiwi and Tuck until we see a drastic drop in their game. Demarcus Ware will probably retire as a Cowboy, but does not make the impact sacks or forced fumbles like Osi does....Ware is sooo overrated but at least his organization values him. I cant see why Canty is making so much more than any of our pass rushers....Reese needs to figure something out.

slipknottin
01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I love Osi and would love to keep him. It's just not practical to pay him big money with JPP, Tuck, etc on the roster. .

Its always practical to keep one of the best pass rushers in the league. You find a way to do it.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 11:42 AM

+1</P>

I love Osi and would love to keep him. It's just not practical to pay him big money with JPP, Tuck, etc on the roster. Use that potential money to resign Cruz, or Nicks, or god knows who else we need to lock up soon .. extend JPP or resign Philips .. whatever.</P>

Same.</P>

so many call it Osi hate. it's just being practical. we're a better team with Osi on it. But we're a better team with Kevin Boss on the roster. We're a better team withBarry Cofield on the roster.</P>

you have to make choices, and we're lucky that we can look at someone like Osi and say that given the fact we have JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, and Tolly, we can better use his dollars somewhere else.</P>

NJ10
01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Osi has been amazing since he came back from injury. We are so much better with him on that Dline. I would love for them to extend him for a few more years. I admit I wanted him gone for the BS he pull in the preseason. But he obviously has alot more left in the tank, we have to find a way to keel him

Gimaniac
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Why should we pay Osi what he wants?

He's playing great now without the contract extension that he wanted. Why should next year be any different?

Reese is the man.

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Used to feel Osi made his sack numbers on the mediocre LTs of the league and against the easier teams. aside from the one time he feasted on Walter Jones in the Feely game. Look at his game logs. He usually feasted on mediocrity and was nowhere to be seen when needed. But he's been clutch recently. That strip on Rodgers was legit.

ITELLNOLIES
01-16-2012, 12:55 PM

+10000000

Sarcasman
01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
if that's what he wanted, that deal would be done already.</P>

regardless of length, he made it clear that Johnson set the bar for what elite passrushers should get a season.</P>

$7 million -$10 million was his ask in the offseason.</P>

we'll see what it is this offseason and whether he plays.</P>

if i was his agent, i wouldn't let him play the final year of his contract.</P>

Good thing for him you're not his agent.

They should offer him an affordable extension, guarantee some money and give him huge upside incentives.

If he hits the incentives, he gets paid Johnson money; if not, he doesn't.