PDA

View Full Version : NFL and The National Anthem

Red Dog
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Front Office, if you read posts on this board now and again, I ask that you strongly consider what I write.

It's evident with each NFL game, especially the Super Bowl, the NFL promotes an ongoing embarrasment for the nation and a lack of respect for the United States and its National Anthem. Not only the NFL but most other sports as well, except the New York Yankees who get it right

Continuing to hire singers who believe the National Anthem is just vehicle for them to entertain and take liberties with the tune and words. And who also make the singing of the Anthem all about them without a stitch of reverance for the US, the once revered National Anthem, and those who serve and who have died to make this nation great.

Turning the National Anthem into some rock song with notes never included in the original and performed by those who do not have the voice for the Anthem's great tune and words, make the US, and the NFL, a laughing stock to the rest of the world.

Yes this past SB was another embarrasment fostered on the nation and to the rest of the watching world. by a supposedly professional and experienced rock singet who couldn't even prepare by memorizing the words she should have known by now.

Is she a citizen or did she drop in from Mars for the occasion?. I would be remiss not to also mention her (awful) rendition that sounded like a room full of rocking chairs rocking on a hundred cat tails.

The NFL should be better than this by now, but it isn't because each year another talentless clown steps into the SB spot light and ruins the National Anthem

I am disgusted with the lack of respect for the National Anthem and the nation by the NFL and by its selection of the soloists who believe they have the right to rewrite the tune and the way it is supposed to be sung by injectiing a style bereft of talent and artistry.

I am sending this to our local newspaper editorial page as well.

Kruunch
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Front Office, if you read posts on this board now and again, I ask that you strongly consider what I write.

It's evident with each NFL game, especially the Super Bowl, the NFL promotes an ongoing embarrasment for the nation and a lack of respect for the United States and its National Anthem. Not only the NFL but most other sports as well, except the New York Yankees who get it right

Continuing to hire singers who believe the National Anthem is just vehicle for them to entertain and take liberties with the tune and words. And who also make the singing of the Anthem all about them without a stitch of reverance for the US, the once revered National Anthem, and those who serve and who have died to make this nation great.

Turning the National Anthem into some rock song with notes never included in the original and performed by those who do not have the voice for the Anthem's great tune and words, make the US, and the NFL, a laughing stock to the rest of the world.

Yes this past SB was another embarrasment fostered on the nation and to the rest of the watching world. by a supposedly professional and experienced rock singet who couldn't even prepare by memorizing the words she should have known by now.

Is she a citizen or did she drop in from Mars for the occasion?. I would be remiss not to also mention her (awful) rendition that sounded like a room full of rocking chairs rocking on a hundred cat tails.

The NFL should be better than this by now, but it isn't because each year another talentless clown steps into the SB spot light and ruins the National Anthem

I am disgusted with the lack of respect for the National Anthem and the nation by the NFL and by its selection of the soloists who believe they have the right to rewrite the tune and the way it is supposed to be sung by injectiing a style bereft of talent and artistry.

Oh get over it already,

slipknottin
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
What irony

You americans shall have NO freedom to interpret a song the way you think it should be sung!

I am disgusted by your post.

WORLDCHAMPS
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
What so proudly we waaaaaatched...........lmao.....i vote for enrico pollatzo......

WORLDCHAMPS
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCc1DzRAgQ

giantsP28
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldnt be shocked to see Drake do the national anthem with autotune one of these days...

pthere55
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I wouldnt be shocked to see Drake do the national anthem with autotune one of these days...

LMAOOOO!!

YATittle1962
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
this is extremely silly.....

im surprised you didnt write a letter to every school in America about the Pledge of Allegiance and students not saluting the flag properly.....

WORLDCHAMPS
02-08-2011, 01:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gkBqEfRNr0&feature=related

NOW THIS IS SOMETHING WORSE THAN CHRISTINA

Kruunch
02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
this is extremely silly.....

im surprised you didnt write a letter to every school in America about the Pledge of Allegiance and students not saluting the flag properly.....

You don't salute the flag properly?!

Commie pinko!

Roosevelt
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
What irony

You americans shall have NO freedom to interpret a song the way you think it should be sung!

Your disgusted because he, like many Americans want their National Anthem to be sung the way IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN?

Let's be real, that version was so annoying, somebody should have smacked her.

Kruunch
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM
What irony

Your disgusted because he, like many Americans want their National Anthem* to be sung the way IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN?

I think she got smacked by a few million irate nationalists.

YATittle1962
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
What irony

Your disgusted because he, like many Americans want their National Anthem* to be sung the way IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN?

all I hear is praise for Whitney Houstons version at SB 25........last I checked ...thats not how it was originally meant to be performed

Dorkasaurus
02-08-2011, 01:58 PM

I am with you. Sing the National Anthem as it was written and what it stands for. No one singer can add to it, they only degrade it with any attempt to personalize it. The National Anthem stands for all those that live under it, defend it, and the heroes that die for it.

LT_was_good
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
What irony

Your disgusted because he, like many Americans want their National Anthem to be sung the way IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN?

all I hear is praise for Whitney Houstons version at SB 25........last I checked ...thats not how it was originally meant to be performed

Yes but everything that happened that day in that stadium was perfect.

Honestly, the problem isn't when singers try to make the Anthem "their own," the problem is when their rendition is hard on the ears.

slipknottin
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Um, Im perfectly fine with allowing people freedom to do their own performances.

Yea, but it wasent the version, it was the forgetting of words that made it horrible.

slipknottin
02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
The National Anthem stands for all those that live under it, defend it, and the heroes that die for it.

and the freedom for people to do what they want.... Or did we forget that part?

slipknottin
02-08-2011, 02:05 PM

exactly. Really nobody in this thread is arguing for it to be done exactly the way as written, they just want it to be good. Completely different things.

YATittle1962
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM

exactly. Really nobody in this thread is arguing for it to be done exactly the way as written, they just want it to be good. Completely different things.

she did a horrible job....we all know this....but it wasnt Roseanne Barr for petes sake......

the song can legally be interpreted in any way the performer wishes......

see Marvin Gayes version....everyone loved it
see Whitney Houstons......everyone loved it.....

the composition is public domain .....they could do a thrash metal version if they want.....

this is all subjective and extremely unimportant

TrueBlue@NYC
02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I disagree with the OP's general statement against artists adding or putting their own spin on the national anthem. I have no problem with any artist trying to put more passion into our anthem, or those who do it in a different tone. As a guitarist I love Jimmy Hendrix's guitar rendition of the anthem. </P>

I respect miss Aguillera as a singer, she's generally very good. However, I thought it disrespectful that on the biggest stage in the world she didn't even bother to double check the words. It's one thing to try and add some artistry, it's another to just not bother to learn the song. </P>

She says she got caught up in the moment, but I find that hard to believe since she's a professional who has sung on the worldwide stage many times. </P>

buddy33
02-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Most of them are bad.

The best one I heard in a long time was the Black Hawks player that did it for the Chicago vs. Seattle playoff game.

Kruunch
02-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Um, Im perfectly fine with allowing people freedom to do their own performances.

Yea, but it wasent the version, it was the forgetting of words that made it horrible.

I thought it was her dress that made it horrible.

I mean funeral much?

Roosevelt
02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
What irony

I don't mind if they add their style to it, but at the same I do understand how some people could be offended by some of the crap that's been done to it.

Whitney was great BTW.

Roosevelt
02-08-2011, 09:55 PM

People abuse freedom all the time which causes others to want to remove it. Bottom line is she sucks for subjecting all of us to that crap, and so does the NFL.

Same thing goes for the Black Eyed Pees. They sucked too.

Mr Excitement
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM

People abuse freedom all the time which causes others to want to remove it. Bottom line is she sucks for subjecting all of us to that crap, and so does the NFL.

Same thing goes for the Black Eyed Pees. They sucked too.

Agreed...I just don't know why if the NFL is all about supporting our troops and what not...why not have a Armed Forces Band or Choir sing it...the way is was meant to be sung?. I mean aren't they the ones fighting for the flag anyway?.Why would that be so bad? Hiring these Pop stars and others who have no clue what the actual words are is disgusting...

nygfanmaybe
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
We are Americans and we are free...so she was able to sing it the way she sang it without going to prison. With that said, I do agree that some things should be sacred, such as singing the National Anthem the way it is written. Nobody is going to stop anyone else from singing it the way they want to, but since we also share the freedom of speech, those of us who do hold certain things sacred certainly have the right to voice our displeasure when people put their own spin on it and butcher the lyrics.

GameTime
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I am not as bent as some of you are but I do understand why. </P>

I do agree that the anthem should be sung the way it was written out of respect and the fact that it is a great and moving song. It doesn't need enhancement.</P>

CA mentioned she got caught up in the moment and emotion of the song. I can kind of see that. But no excuses and she did own up to it. She is human and made a mistake. So what. The OP talked about its an embarassment for the NFL.......you have to be kidding me Red Dog...... </P>

Have you seen what many of the NFL PLAYERS ACTUALLY DO TO EMBARASS THE LEAGUE THEY PLAY FOR AND GET PAID BY!!!!!!!</P>

</P>

NYGRealityCheck
02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Eh, they're professional singers paid very well to get the job done right.
She screwed up and it sure isn't the "twilight" that's getting the "last reaming" by the media and the public. The mistake will fade from people's thoughts over time...

FlyingTruck
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
So, how's the weather?