PDA

View Full Version : Draft day picking Nicks

sheepdip
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Do any of you remember the thoughts on him ??

They mentioned he gained 10 pounds and all this and his draft value slipped.

I recall he had a severely sprained ankle which lead to him not being able to train causing him to gain a few. Also others said he wasnt that fast but he made plays !

Well funny he s making lots of plays. I would rather draft based on play making than speed !!

Another solid draft pick.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-16-2012, 03:55 PM

I recall he had a severely sprained ankle which lead to him not being able to train causing him to gain a few.* Also others said he wasnt that fast but he made plays !

Well funny he s making lots of plays. I would rather draft based on play making than speed !!

I remember it was him or Kenny Britt. Everyone was also excited about getting Barden

Redeyejedi
01-16-2012, 03:55 PM

I recall he had a severely sprained ankle which lead to him not being able to train causing him to gain a few.* Also others said he wasnt that fast but he made plays !

Giants had a deal with the Lions to trade up to 20 to pick Maclin but the Eagles jumped ahead of the Giants at 19.Lucky for the Giants they did

Itlan
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Hated the pick. Thought we should've went Lauriniatis.

Boy was I wrong, and glad I was, although he's a hell of a MLB for the Rams.

buddy33
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Giants had a deal with the Lions to trade up to 20 to pick Maclin but the Eagles jumped ahead of the Giants at 19.Lucky for the Giants they did

The Giants where also lucky the Eagles did not pick JPP last year.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Loved the Nicks pick, he was a pro ready guy in my mind.

Hated the Barden pick, Arizona was shopping Boldin for a third, we use a third on Barden, who is a colossal bust.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

The Giants where also lucky the Eagles did not pick JPP last year.2 years ago, and I am still surprised they didn't take Earl Thomas.

logan9839
01-16-2012, 04:01 PM
There was a ton of debate, but once drafted and the youtube vids started rolling, I think all got excited

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:06 PM

The Giants where also lucky the Eagles did not pick JPP last year.2 years ago, and I am still surprised they didn't take Earl Thomas.

LOL. You know what I meant.

As long as they keep picking wrong ahead of the Giants I will be happy.

Gmen2005
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I wanted Britt being a rutgers graduate, but damn Nicks has been the best receiver from that draft easily.

nygsb42champs
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
With Nicks and Cruz we are going to have a dynamic duo at WR for a long time.

flimflam
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM

I was psyched when we picked him. The one thing that stood out in his scouting report was how big and physical he was and is. I mean, crap, we had just lost Burress,, so getting Nicks was a huge boost even though so many rated Maclin and Britt higher.

I remember Mayock saying things that made me happy about this pick. Mike Mayock is one of the better draft guys too compared to Kiper and other clowns. Mayock was like "If you have an doubt about this kid look at his bowl game. He's a poor man's Anquan Boldin. Butch Davis swears by this kid."

I was sold.

YATittle1962
01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I wanted Britt and couldnt be more happy that we did not pick him

Nicks was a beast at NC and continues more of the same here....and will for many years

Pakman
01-16-2012, 04:11 PM

The Giants where also lucky the Eagles did not pick JPP last year.

Eagles suck at jumping in front of us and getting the better player.

We both go after WR's and we win

We both go after DE's and we win

Lol that has to suck

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
They really couldn't have gone wrong, but Nicks is the more incompetent of the receivers. Maclin and Britt have been getting injured more though. Britt tears stuff up when he's on the field though. Tennessee got bad luck that he keeps getting hurt.

NYGRealityCheck
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I wanted Britt and couldnt be more happy that we did not pick him

Nicks was a beast at NC and continues more of the same here....and will for many years

The 2009 NFL draft: The year of the WR class where 6 WRs went in the first round. Looking back now, Reese undoubtly ended up picking the brightest gem out of them all with Hakeem Nicks.

Btw, we will be seeing the comparison of SF's No. 10 pick Michael Crabtree in the game vs. the Giants No. 29 pick Hakeem Nicks! for the upcoming championship game.

BigBlue1971
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I wanted Britt and couldnt be more happy that we did not pick him Nicks was a beast at NC and continues more of the same here....and will for many years The 2009 NFL draft: The year of the WR class where 6 WRs went in the first round. Looking back now, Reese undoubtly ended up picking the brightest gem out of them all with Hakeem Nicks. Btw, we will be seeing the comparison of SF's No. 10 pick Michael Crabtree in the game vs. the Giants No. 29 pick Hakeem Nicks! for the upcoming championship game.</P>

</P>

for me it was a toss up between Nicks and Britt. Britt was more of a favorite cuz hewent toRutgers.</P>

Crabtree was centered on himself and the other kid from the Vikings just didnt appeal to me.</P>

JR certainly made the right choice in Nicks. </P>

Itlan
01-16-2012, 06:18 PM
They really couldn't have gone wrong, but Nicks is the more incompetent of the receivers. Maclin and Britt have been getting injured more though. Britt tears stuff up when he's on the field though. Tennessee got bad luck that he keeps getting hurt.

.... what?

shotcalla39
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM

I recall he had a severely sprained ankle which lead to him not being able to train causing him to gain a few.* AlsNyjo others said he wasnt that fast but he made plays !

LOL. You know what I meant.

As long as they keep picking wrong ahead of the Giants I will be happy.
I wouldnt say they picked wrong in 2010 both Maclin and nicks are both great receivers

Eli2Nicks612
01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Here are some scouting reports:
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1841
http://walterfootball.com/pro2009hnicks.php
http://warroomreport.com/?id=440&Itemid=1&option=com_content&task=view
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/2/15/756864/scouting-report-hakeem-nic

Basically, his strengths were that he was strong, played very physical, and was a great route runner.

His weaknesses were that he lacked good speed, he ran a 4.5 40, and he wasn't good at getting separation. Those haven't seemed to stop him, though.

Interestingly, the last report said he was terrible with ball security and needs to hold the ball to his chest, but he still doesn't do that and it hasn't done any harm.

swordfish
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Nicks is a Playmaker, enough said, he has no fear. He was NC main passing weapon with a crap QB, our drafts have been pretty good the last few years, now in regards to Barrden, he is still young and don't forget he came from a division III school. And for the people crying we could have got that guy or this guy, we can't possibly get everyone, we take the best player on the board regardless of position, it has worked pretty well for us, JPP anyone, everyone wondered why we took a DE when we had plenty already, guess what, that is why we are fans, and not GMs payed to make the right choices for an organization, Ernie tought Reese well, and George Young was fantastic before them.

titwio
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM

In today's NFL being reliant more on passing offense....Teams now need three quality WR's. It's more like trio's than duo's now a days. I really want them to keep Mario but the reality is he's most likely gone.

I'm curious to see what the Giants do regarding that situation cause they're going to need to solidify that third receiver slot if they lose Manningham.

NYgiants141
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
http://warroomreport.com/?id=440&amp;Itemid=1&amp;option=com_content&amp;task=view

Basically, his strengths were that he was strong, played very physical, and was a great route runner.

His weaknesses were that he lacked good speed, he ran a 4.5 40, and he wasn't good at getting separation. Those haven't seemed to stop him, though.

Interestingly, the last report said he was terrible with ball security and needs to hold the ball to his chest, but he still doesn't do that and it hasn't done any harm.

Pretty cool that speed was a weakness, yet in the past two weeks he has pulled off 2 for 72 and 66 yards each, with each catch being 10-15 yards and then he added the rest. He burst through two defenders vs the falcons and beat the pack (literally lol) vs the packers.

NYGRealityCheck
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I wanted Britt and couldnt be more happy that we did not pick him Nicks was a beast at NC and continues more of the same here....and will for many years The 2009 NFL draft: The year of the WR class where 6 WRs went in the first round. Looking back now, Reese undoubtly ended up picking the brightest gem out of them all with Hakeem Nicks. Btw, we will be seeing the comparison of SF's No. 10 pick Michael Crabtree in the game vs. the Giants No. 29 pick Hakeem Nicks! for the upcoming championship game.</P>

*</P>

for me it was a toss up between Nicks and Britt.* Britt was more of a favorite cuz he*went to*Rutgers.</P>

Crabtree was centered on himself and the other kid from the Vikings just didnt appeal to me.</P>

JR certainly made the right choice in Nicks.* </P>

WR Draft Picks in 2009
No. 7 - Raiders: Darrius Heyward-Bey - . Fast but can't catch. Raiders pretty much drafted him based purely on his 40-yard dash time I believe.

No. 10 - 49ers: Michael Crabtree. Great WR coming out of college, but was well-known for his holdout that went into the regular season on the 49ers. "Crabtree set a San Francisco 49ers record by becoming the longest rookie holdout in franchise history." -wiki LOL!

No. 19- Eagles: Jeremy Maclin. A solid WR for the Eagles. Good hands, route running, etc... Too bad the Eagles are notoriously known for not being able to win a Superbowl. If D-Jax leaves the Eagles, Maclin might become their undisputed No.1 WR.

No. 22: Vikings: Percy Harvin. Another decent WR, who contributed well on special teams for the Vikings. He had the luxury of playing with Brett Favre and Sidney Rice in his rookie season and went to the Pro Bowl.

No. 29: Giants: Hakeem Nicks. Absolute STAR for the Giants. Drafted due to the hole created by Burress' own demise. Didn't take long for him to be the No.1 WR for the Giants and a star WR for Eli. Great hands, route running, speed, blocking, strength, etc...

No. 30: Titans: Kenny Brit. Another great playmaker WR. Who can forget the monster game he had against the Eagles in his rookie season? Unfortunately, his character issues caught up with him with the arrests and this season he suffered a torn ACL and MCL injury against the Broncos. Ouch!

Notable Giants-related Mention:
No. 84: Steelers: Mike Wallace. Star WR for the Steelers with ridiculous speed.
No. 85: Giants: Ramses Barden. 6 foot+ WR. Good hands and route running.
It was tough to put him on the field even to this day. Pretty much stayed on the bench in his first year. Now, he's just sitting in the shadow of the Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo. Man o man the Giants were close to adding another star WR to the team...

flimflam
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Nice. Youtube has the actual pick. :)

NY Giants select Hakeem Nicks 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syawc5tdt4k)

Redeyejedi
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I wanted Britt being a rutgers graduate, but damn Nicks has been the best receiver from that draft easily.
I liked Britt as well and when he has played he has been explosive.There were rumors of him being a diva head case and they were right

Redeyejedi
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
http://warroomreport.com/?id=440&Itemid=1&option=com_content&task=view

Interestingly, the last report said he was terrible with ball security and needs to hold the ball to his chest, but he still doesn't do that and it hasn't done any harm.They discounted the fact his hands are the size of grizzlies

TuckYou
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I actually liked the pick. I saw a strong physical wr with great ball skills. It panned out. I hated the JPP pick though. I wanted Costanzo

TuckYou
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM

*</P>

for me it was a toss up between Nicks and Britt.* Britt was more of a favorite cuz he*went to*Rutgers.</P>

JR certainly made the right choice in Nicks.* </P>

WR Draft Picks in 2009
No. 7 - Raiders: Darrius Heyward-Bey - . Fast but can't catch. Raiders pretty much drafted him based purely on his 40-yard dash time I believe.

No. 10 - 49ers: Michael Crabtree. Great WR coming out of college, but was well-known for his holdout that went into the regular season on the 49ers. "Crabtree set a San Francisco 49ers record by becoming the longest rookie holdout in franchise history." -wiki LOL!

No. 19- Eagles: Jeremy Maclin. A solid WR for the Eagles. Good hands, route running, etc... Too bad the Eagles are notoriously known for not being able to win a Superbowl. If D-Jax leaves the Eagles, Maclin might become their undisputed No.1 WR.

No. 22: Vikings: Percy Harvin. Another decent WR, who contributed well on special teams for the Vikings. He had the luxury of playing with Brett Favre and Sidney Rice in his rookie season and went to the Pro Bowl.

No. 29: Giants: Hakeem Nicks. Absolute STAR for the Giants. Drafted due to the hole created by Burress' own demise. Didn't take long for him to be the No.1 WR for the Giants and a star WR for Eli. Great hands, route running, speed, blocking, strength, etc...

No. 30: Titans: Kenny Brit. Another great playmaker WR. Who can forget the monster game he had against the Eagles in his rookie season? Unfortunately, his character issues caught up with him with the arrests and this season he suffered a torn ACL and MCL injury against the Broncos. Ouch!

Notable Giants-related Mention:
No. 84: Steelers: Mike Wallace. Star WR for the Steelers with ridiculous speed.
No. 85: Giants: Ramses Barden. 6 foot+ WR. Good hands and route running.
It was tough to put him on the field even to this day. Pretty much stayed on the bench in his first year. Now, he's just sitting in the shadow of the Nicks-Manningham-Cruz combo. Man o man the Giants were close to adding another star WR to the team...

Johnny Knox too. Great WR class.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I actually liked the pick. I saw a strong physical wr with great ball skills. It panned out. I hated the JPP pick though. I wanted Costanzo2 different drafts. JPP 2010, Costanzo 2011.

You didn't like the Prince pick?

RagTime Blue
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM

I recall he had a severely sprained ankle which lead to him not being able to train causing him to gain a few. Also others said he wasnt that fast but he made plays !

I remember it was him or Kenny Britt. Everyone was also excited about getting Barden

Reese later said that Britt was never in the equation. . .even if Nicks was gone. There were at least three others he would've chosen before Britt.

Only Rutgers alums on here wanted Kenny Britt.

Duckdownman
01-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Nicks is incompetent?

RagTime Blue
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I really think SF will try to take Nicks away in this game. Especially if there's bad weather. . .he's so dangerous on screen passes turning them upfield.

So I am looking forward to some Salsa Dancing in SF.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I really think SF will try to take Nicks away in this game.* Especially if there's bad weather. . .he's so dangerous on screen passes turning them upfield.

So I am looking forward to some Salsa Dancing in SF.
This. One or the other will have a good game.

TuckYou
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I actually liked the pick. I saw a strong physical wr with great ball skills. It panned out. I hated the JPP pick though. I wanted Costanzo2 different drafts. JPP 2010, Costanzo 2011. You didn't like the Prince pick?</P>

My bad. Yeah, I wanted Costanzo this season. Butwith Prince at 19, it was a solid choice.I didnt like the JPP pick though in 2010. </P>

JacksGiant76
01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I loved the Nicks pick at the time because when you watched the video's of him, you saw a playmaker, he wasn't just a workout warrior like some other guys you see in the first. His highlight film was just like he is now, just making solid plays.

Just like when I was looking at video one time of our new 7th round pick Ahmad Bradshaw. Never heard of him before and I just watched the draft video and I was floored with some of the things I saw. Grant it, Bardens highlight films was amazing too haha.

I'll be honest, I friggin hated the JPP pick, just thought he had bust written all over him and that's pretty much why I'm a desk jockey and not a GM LOL.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I actually liked the pick. I saw a strong physical wr with great ball skills. It panned out. I hated the JPP pick though. I wanted Costanzo2 different drafts. JPP 2010, Costanzo 2011. You didn't like the Prince pick?</P>

My bad. Yeah, I wanted Costanzo this season. But*with Prince at 19, it was a solid choice.*I didnt like the JPP pick though in 2010. </P>Me neither, but I was on board with it really quickly.

Spizi
01-16-2012, 08:54 PM

the most productive WR duo in the league this year!!

Ready to Rumble
01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Britt was on pace to be All Pro this season until he got hurt and lost for the season.

Voldamort
01-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I remember the 10lbs.,but I also remember the behind the back catch he made!!

Diamondring
01-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I liked the pick and I hope we get another one like it.

KathieLee'sPokies
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
I remember arguments on this board to the effect that it was a waste to take a WR in the first round, since so many had busted. I did some research and pointed out that fully 20 of the top 40 WRs in NFL history (yards receiving) were chosen in the first round, and that it was worth it to take Nicks with no. 29. It's a real thrill to see all the things that made Nicks so compelling on the NC highlights --- the big body excelling in catching passes in heavy traffic, the spin moves, the change of direction, body control when the ball was descending, and good acceleration --- helping the NYG to become a balanced and dangerous team. However, I have to admit I never expected Nicks to demonstrate the pull-away speed he showed against the Falcons and Packers. He really showed another gear on those two long TD receptions.

egyptian420
01-16-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syawc5tdt4k

A day we'll never forget....In Reese we trust!

JJC7301
01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Loved the Nicks pick, he was a pro ready guy in my mind.

Hated the Barden pick, Arizona was shopping Boldin for a third, we use a third on Barden, who is a colossal bust.
Wow, a 3rd for Boldin? That's pretty cheap. Maybe they didn't want him because he was always complaining about his lack of catches and attention because of Fitzgerald.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
I remember after the draft thinking that Reese was basically playing a numbers game to get replacement stars at the WR spot after Amani and Plax left.

I remember arguing that the odds were in the Giants favor of getting one legit #1 WR out of the group of Smith, MM, Hixon, Nicks, Barden and Moss. Cruz wasn't even on the radar yet. It was a numbers game that someone out of that group of premium draft picks would step up though it's certainly turned out better than I thought it would.

Heck, I thought Hixon was going to be that guy.

JJC7301
01-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Yep, I'm glad they didn't trade up. There was plenty of WR talent in that draft (I think the Vikes took Percy Harvin that year, too) and I would have been happy, at the time, with whoever fell into our lap. But between Nicks and Britt, I wanted Nicks.