PDA

View Full Version : Throwing A Hail Mary Instead Of Trying a 53 Yard FG At End Of Half

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Was that a slap in Tynes face or what? NFL kickers are better than ever these days. 53 yards is doable for most kickers.

I don't think Coughlin even trusts Tynes anymore. Pretty much every team tries the FG there.

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Umm...What?

He did have one blocked and it is not a chip shot. You also do not want another one blocked and have it run back to end the half.

It worked and I'm sure he is fine with it.

TheAngryTuna
01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
He kicked it out of bounds on a kickoff and had another kick blocked. Obviously he wasn't having a great game.

BigBlueOnes
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Was that a slap in Tynes face or what? NFL kickers are better than ever these days. 53 yards is doable for most kickers.

I don't think Coughlin even trusts Tynes anymore. Pretty much every team tries the FG there.

I blew milk out my nose I'm laughing so hard at this ridiculous post. I don't think it had anything to do with Tynes. I think you're thrown off because we actually went for the jugular, which we never do. We were out to WIN. They said TC said that during the halftime, we sent a message we're going for the win aggressively.

nygsb42champs
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
It cold weather with a rock hard football? The hail mary was the better play.

Gmen2005
01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
A hail mary probably has a better chance with our receivers than a 53 yard field goal at Lambeau

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
It was the right call. But you can't say we definitely throw the pass if we had a good kicker.

mcmatty1984
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
He deserves a slap. Stop sucking (i.e. kicking the ball out of bounds) and maybe we could trust him. Until then I will take Eli magic any time.

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 04:16 PM
A hail mary probably has a better chance with our receivers than a 53 yard field goal at Lambeau

With Tynes, yeah. But is 53 that long these days, even in cold weather? I remember one of the worst kickers in the league, Josh Scobee, hitting a 59 yarder last year. Tynes finally got one right at Lambeau in the Championship game, which was from a good distance too.

chasjay
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM

I don't think it was a problem with Tynes. 53 yards is a low trajectory kick and we'd already had one blocked. I think TC felt good enough about the way we were playing to settle for ending the half with a 3-point lead instead of risking a blocked FG return for Green Bay points.

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
You think he is not a good kicker. I disagree. He makes most of his kicks and has for years now. That was not a chip shot and in that situation many coaches would have done the same thing.

GameTime
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM

</P>

I dont think so...</P>

53 yards in a sub freezing atmosphere with the score 13-10......not a slap at all.....</P>

</P>

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:21 PM
It was probably also the safe option. You never know if they block it again and run it back giving all the momentum to the home team.

miken609
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
every single kicker can get a touchback every time and practically every tynes kickoff was returned yesterday. not to mention he kicked one out of bounds and had a FG blocked. most teams go for the FG there. probably every team except us

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Actually he was kicking the ball deep yesterday. He even hit the cross bar once.

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
You guys haven't been paying attention this season, this is nothing new. On 4th and managable around the 30-40 yard line we are going for it just about every time. Tynes only has 8 attempts at 40+ yards this season, that is no accident.

greenca190
01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

With Tynes, yeah. But is 53 that long these days, even in cold weather? I remember one of the worst kickers in the league, Josh Scobee, hitting a 59 yarder last year. Tynes finally got one right at Lambeau in the Championship game, which was from a good distance too.

Josh scobee was one of the best kickers statistically las season.

greenca190
01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

StrahanTuck
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

This year he was good. But the last two years, his percentages were awful. Surprised he'd still be around with that percentage.

Also, the direction in which Tynes would have kicked the FG was the direction he was actually booming the kickoffs. So, it's not like the direction was a factor. I just think Coughlin doesn't trust him. And he shouldn't.

But you're telling me that GB wouldn't have had Mason Crosby out there if the shoe was on the other foot?

Drez
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM

</P>

Tynes does not have a big leg. He'd be lucky to hit from that far out with idyllic conditions.</P>

There's a big difference between 47 and 54.</P>

Drez
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
You guys haven't been paying attention this season, this is nothing new. On 4th and managable around the 30-40 yard line we are going for it just about every time. Tynes only has 8 attempts at 40+ yards this season, that is no accident.</P>

For real. And actually, I think it has less to do with Tynes than it does with the blocking up front. Including last night we've had what 3 or 4 FGs blocked or tipped this season? </P>

If we were going to go for a FG we would have tried a quick out to the sidelines to gain a couple extra yards and make it a more manageable attempt.</P>

g-menfanatic
01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
<font size="3"><font color="#0000FF"><font face="Times New Roman">I thoroughly agree, it had nothing to do with Tynes performance, we were throwing salt into a wound that was just beginning to grow and would get uglier and fester as the game wore on. Congratulations to the players and staff, a great effort all around. If we make it past the Niners,(I sure think we will we are a better team playing with confidence and have players back we didn't have in week 10) I wanna see those thugs in Baltimore so we can avenge an ugly SB loss. Nothing I'd like better than making Ray Lewis and all his "smooth" criminal buddies suffer at the hands of the <font size="5">GIANTS !!!</font>
</font></font></font>

Gianthunter
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Thats a time-out Mike would like to have back.

FDNY Fitzy
01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
You guys haven't been paying attention this season, this is nothing new. On 4th and managable around the 30-40 yard line we are going for it just about every time. Tynes only has 8 attempts at 40+ yards this season, that is no accident.

They tried a 61 yarder with Tynes this year.

G-Man67
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
would have been 54 yards ... and with a cold ball, which is harder to kick and Tynes had a rough half ... they had 2 options ... try a quick sideline pass or throw to end zone

i know it was a hail mary play b/c all WRs went to same spot, but b/c it wasn't 50+ yards, it did have a higher chance of success than your standard 50 yard hail mary