PDA

View Full Version : Fumble play explained

DEgiants89
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/16/league-explais-leavys-replay-ruling/

opinion? I don't think it was indisputable evidence that his calf was down, so idk

nygsb42champs
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
There is no way his calf was down.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
the youtube link wasn't very clear.</P>

i wish i would have not erased the game yesterday.</P>

cwbb
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I didn't listen to the explanation but the ref was the only one that didn't think that was a fumble. Instead of a ref from the field, why can't the NFL hire a replay analyst for the playoffs. Baseball put two extra umpires on the field for the playoffs.

buddy33
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
LOL. NO, NO, NO! It was a fumble and to say it wasn't is just reaching to cover it up. Not a single person has said it looked like his calf was down. I saw the video, as did millions of people. LOL. I guess millions of people didn't see what they saw.

Get real please.

OX1
01-16-2012, 04:16 PM
WEAK!!!!!!!!! they would have been better off saying nothing.
Sad that the NFL just confirmed that their ref attempted to influence a game.

harrycarson
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
The fix was on, I am now a huge beleiver in the possiblity of a fix....Those refs are so lucky the Gmen dominated, that is all I can say

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/16/league-explais-leavys-replay-ruling/

opinion? I don't think it was indisputable evidence that his calf was down, so idk

Nothing was down. NOTHING. Except maybe his feet.

We won the game and that call still pisses me off. If the giants lost I might be in prison right now.

giantsandyanks1
01-16-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jyP157p4SEQ

THE_New_York_Giants
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

We won the game and that call still pisses me off. If the giants lost I might be in prison right now.
Ein furor Goodell just can't come out and say the NFL wanted the Pack in the Super Bowl

chasjay
01-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Even Greg Aiello, the NFL spokesman, is quoted in the piece as saying "<u>if </u>Jennings' calf was on the ground" (my emphasis on the <u>if</u>). I wouldn't exactly call that a ringing endorsement.

Also, the last two paragraph's of PFT's article leaves no doubt as to what they think about it. All bogus!!

Spizi
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Regardless of if it was down or not it was ruled a fumble on the field and should have stayed that way. This would have put the burden of proof on the packers and not us.

derekunion28
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM
ree****youlessss

hadenough
01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
The officials are becoming like criminals.....just deny, deny, deny

nycsportzfan
01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
It was a fumble ! The ball was clearly coming out before anything touched end of story! Its not debatable. Just because some idiot REFS judgement is ridiculously awful dosent mean any of us sane people are gonna start wondering if our judgement is the one that is shoddy.. It was a fumble!

stormblue
01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
this (of course) confirms the correctness of my position on this matter and once again proves that some of "you people" judge these calls on what you think the rule should be as opposed to what the rule actually is.

of course ; after numerous posts of derogatory assaults on my intelligence on this matter , none of you will admit my proclivity towards being correct on these types of issues.....
but that's ok , my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love.

qndarius3
01-16-2012, 05:00 PM

I swear to god this sport is gonna become 2 hand touch in the next 10 years.

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
this (of course) confirms the correctness of my position on this matter and once again proves that some of "you people" judge these calls on what you think the rule should be as opposed to what the rule actually is.

of course ; after numerous posts of derogatory assaults on my intelligence on this matter , none of you will admit my proclivity towards being correct on these types of issues.....
but that's ok , my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love.

NOTHING WAS DOWN

M0rbid
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
*sigh*

Rigged Call is a Rigged call....... End of story.

slipknottin
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
once again, the call on the field is the bigger issue.

It was originally ruled a fumble, then changed during the tv timeout? How is that possible?

If they stayed with the ruling on the field, then the packers would have had to challenge that he was down, and it would have been impossible to overturn as there was no view of his ankle.

Thats what really irks me.

TroyArcher
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
NFL = WWF

TrueBlue88
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
heres the picture, now deny it. (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34408021)

stormblue
01-16-2012, 05:15 PM
once again, the call on the field is the bigger issue.

It was originally ruled a fumble, then changed during the tv timeout? How is that possible?

If they stayed with the ruling on the field, then the packers would have had to challenge that he was down, and it would have been impossible to overturn as there was no view of his ankle.

Thats what really irks me.

great stuff.

DEgiants89
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM

haha we dont want that now but it just makes me think of how many calls dont go our way this season. Not to mention against green bay the first time we played them.

DEgiants89
01-16-2012, 05:23 PM

what is your position even?

SRTtoZ
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
The biggest problem with the play was the REVERSED call on the field which made it so the Giants had to challenge and show proof of the fumble. It should have stayed a fumble on the field with so the Packers could prove it WASNT a fumble.

chasjay
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM

It is out of character for me to resort to name-calling, but you, Sir (or Madam) are a pompous a**.

Where to begin? The redundancy of the term "derogatory assaults"? The syntactic mistakes evidenced by the phrases "intelligence on this matter" and "proclivity towards being correct"? Or the ridiculously obvious observation that your "ego is self-sustaining"? That's kind of the job description for the ego, you know.

AND THE VIDEO AND STILL SHOTS SHOW THAT IT WAS A FUMBLE! BY RULE!!!

sorry - I will return to being my usual, quiet self at this time. Please give us your opinions on all things relating to the New York Football Giants and let others pat you on the back - you're liable to break your arm.

JMFP2
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
I think you guys are all forgetting one critical point.</P>

The rules are very clear that any pass from Rodgers to Jennings cannot result in a fumble or incompletion.</P>

I learned that in the first meeting a few weeks back.</P>

G-Men Surg.
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I understand to err is human and heck to forgive is divine, I also can even take an apology from the zebras but this crock ???

Gianthunter
01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
this (of course) confirms the correctness of my position on this matter and once again proves that some of "you people" judge these calls on what you think the rule should be as opposed to what the rule actually is. of course ; after numerous posts of derogatory assaults on my intelligence on this matter , none of you will admit my proclivity towards being correct on these types of issues..... but that's ok , my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love.You don't hold a candle to the Great Carbo. Set your own style never try to sustain by apeing.

bengalee28
01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I think the explanation is nonsense but I'm glad that it didn't matter. Think of it this way though...it was initially ruled a fumble and then somehow, another ref saw that his calf was down so ruled that he was down? That's a stretch!

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
NOPE. WE'RE NOT BUYING!!!

I was looking specifically at calves and ankles to see if anything touched, and their was nothing. That was 100% a fumble, and that ref needs to own it. He's a disgrace to the NFL, and he and his crew should be fired. That was a huge game yesterday. It's one thing to make a bad call during the regular season, but what we saw yesterday is indefensible. It's very concerning that even with instant replay, a call like that can be upheld. The NFL seriosly needs to investigate this crew. The whole world knew that was a fumble except for that jackass referee. Even packer fans know that was a fumble.

BlueSanta
01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
My problem with this is 2 fold.

#1 it was ruled a fumble DURING the play. There was no whistle and they let the players play through the fumble and beyond. It wasnt until after the play was over 1 ref said he was down and it wasnt a fumble. But then why didnt that ref blow his whistle during the play? I have watched the replay and turned up the volume and nobody blew a whistle. You cannot then rule after the fact only half the play counts.

#2 the review was in my mind conclusive in the Giant favor. I am a pretty objective guy too. I will be the 1st to tell when we should be ruled against, even if it breaks my heart. But, I saw no evidence he was down prior to that strip.

When I combined these 2 I cant help but feel a little crooked about this situation. It sure seemed like someone was working hard to give that ball to back to GB.

TrueBlue88
01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I think Leavy's crew was as stunned as everyone else. They saw, called, and enforced the play as a fumble, it was Leavy who overturned that call, forcing TC to challenge, and Leavy who wasted 60 seconds of everyone's life by standing under the replay hood with his eyes closed..

bigblue4417
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
“Aggressive football play,” Coughlin called it. “The quarterback is
following through as he releases the ball. The hit is from the side,
there’s not helmet involved, it’s from shoulders to waist. We’ll coach
that one forever.”

yoeddy
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
that one forever.”

Wrong play...

stormblue
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
this (of course) confirms the correctness of my position on this matter and once again proves that some of "you people" judge these calls on what you think the rule should be as opposed to what the rule actually is. of course ; after numerous posts of derogatory assaults on my intelligence on this matter , none of you will admit my proclivity towards being correct on these types of issues..... but that's ok , my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love.You don't hold a candle to the Great Carbo. Set your own style never try to sustain by apeing.

its not plagiarism if you are not familiar with the original .
and i have never heard of the Great Carpo.

apeing is spelled "aping" by the way.
now don't you go "google' or "dictionary" on me, just take my word for it. lol

anyhow,most of this is in reference to another thread and you are obviously not aware of sarcasm or tongue in cheek self depravation when you see it.

i come in peace and humor.

blueomaha
01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
don't want to hear it...i saw it.....

Gianthunter
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
this (of course) confirms the correctness of my position on this matter and once again proves that some of "you people" judge these calls on what you think the rule should be as opposed to what the rule actually is. of course ; after numerous posts of derogatory assaults on my intelligence on this matter , none of you will admit my proclivity towards being correct on these types of issues..... but that's ok , my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love.You don't hold a candle to the Great Carbo. Set your own style never try to sustain by apeing. its not plagiarism if you are not familiar with the original . and i have never heard of the Great Carpo. apeing is spelled "aping" by the way. now don't you go "google' or "dictionary" on me, just take my word for it. lol anyhow,most of this is in reference to another thread and you are obviously not aware of sarcasm or tongue in cheek self depravation when you see it. i come in peace and humor.Hmmmmmmmmm " Carpo" deliberate mispell. Refrences to spellcheck. The "game is afoot Watson".

G-Man67
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
total BS, if that was what he saw, then he woulda said the runners calf was down, not just the ummm call stands, wink wink that he did and with all the running TDs they reviewed this year, they always focused on where the runners knee went down, not the calf ... i've only seen that come into play on a sideline inbounds out of bounds deal

Roosevelt
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM

**** them. They changed the ****ing call. And then the ****in ****suckers can't even get the replay right.

They are a ****ing disgrace.

stormblue
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM

what is your position even?

you would have to read this other thread where this was originally discussed.
this thread is a sort of offshoot from that.
my post here was in reference to the unwarrented abuse i took in the other thread.

but its all in good fun ....some people just take me seriously instead of recognizing the sarcasm or intended humor.

this thread.
http://boards.giants.com/forums/1/2430943/ShowThread.aspx

Giant stuck in Texas
01-16-2012, 06:18 PM
That’s not an explanation of the ruling. That’s an explanation of a rule that in this case is irrelevant.

bigblue4417
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
that one forever.”

Wrong play...
LOL Wrong thread.

stormblue
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM

It is out of character for me to resort to name-calling, but you, Sir (or Madam) are a pompous a**.

Where to begin? The redundancy of the term "derogatory assaults"? The syntactic mistakes evidenced by the phrases "intelligence on this matter" and "proclivity towards being correct"? Or the ridiculously obvious observation that your "ego is self-sustaining"? That's kind of the job description for the ego, you know.

AND THE VIDEO AND STILL SHOTS SHOW THAT IT WAS A FUMBLE! BY RULE!!!

sorry - I will return to being my usual, quiet self at this time. Please give us your opinions on all things relating to the New York Football Giants and let others pat you on the back - you're liable to break your arm.

"derogatory assault" is not a redundant phrase ; thats an adjective describing a noun....as is its job.
none of those other 2 statements use improper syntax and the line
"my ego is self-sustaining and will survive with or without your love."
was just an attempt at humor and i don't know what the technical "comedic" term for it might be but its just like saying "deja-vue all over again" or "frozen tundra" it was an intended play on words.

so please accept my humor as intended .
and go back to english class because you
obviously can't tell your syntass from a hole
in the ground.

gmen0820
01-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I said this in the official game thread because of one angle I saw but I saw it again and changed my mind.

I was especially pissed with call being changed on the field prior to review.

Joe Morrison
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
What better explanation do you need, great angle of the play, cleary showed the ball coming free before he hits the ground, Ferrara the ex league official top dog says he can't understand how it was not called a fumble, has to back up and say its a judgement call but had already slipped and said they blew it, same on the AR hit by OSI.</P>

It's the Homer advantage, they have been protecting the Packers all year, GMEN just wouldn't have any part of it and took care of business.</P>

Say want you want about TC, he will has his teams back and the league will be getting a boat load of incompetence to review this week.</P>