PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Comment Made by an Eagles fan

nybeatmaker
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
This is what an Eagles fan posted on one of their boards

"Steve Spagnuolo is regarded as a great DC and great defensive mind
because he crafted a defense that shut down the amazing Patriots offense
of 07-08. But during the regular season the Giants' defense was not all
that great and only truly got hot once in the playoffs.

Now in 11-12, the Giants are kind of doing the same thing, only under a
totally different DC. The Giants defense kind of sucked during the
regular season and now in the playoffs they are taking it up multiple
notches. Just like in 07 when taking the Patriots apart, they did the
same thing with the Packers who were the NFL's best offense this season.

So if the Giants continue this trend and go on to win the Superbowl or
even get to the Superbowl and their defense plays well, does it put a
damper on the legend of Steve Spagnuolo? Fewell would have done the same
exact thing Steve Spagnuolo did with his defense just a few years
after."

Interesting you think?

Pakman
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought the same thing last week. Only difference is Fewell didn't win an NFC championship game or a superbowl.

If he pulls it off, we can say Eli was much better compared to 07, but our defense is also much improved compared to how good they were in 07

Idk ..it is a good point

TrueBlue07
01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
as Pak hinted it, Fewell is only HALF WAY to what Spags did. I wouldn't even begin to entertain this comparison just yet. Still so much more work to do.

tikiandphil
01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I think the interesting part of this is that there is someone rooting for the eagles that can speak in complete sentences.

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM
if it happens it'll be a really interesting conversation for sure.</P>

but it has to happen first.</P>

derekunion28
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
makes u think was it spags or was it the players that made the difference

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
makes u think was it spags or was it the players that made the difference</P>

its going to be a valid conversation soon.</P>

lots of coordinators have gone on to other jobs and their area of expertise has been a real strength on the teams they head coached.</P>

can't say that for Spags. So far, his legend is confined to 24 months of coaching only.</P>

kodijake
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Good points, but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the 2008 Giant D exceedlingly good in the regular season? I can't remember statistically, but I thought that Giants team was quite good and they had lost Strahan by then. Also, they were pretty terrible in 2009, (thatmuch I think Iremember clearly)when Spags left for St Louis, so I think he deserves a good chunk of the credit he's received. </P>

</P>

Voldamort
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
more work to do

slipknottin
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I thought the 2008 season was what gave Spags real potential as a HC. The defense was just plain dominant that season.

ashleymarie
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I believe the players had a lot to do with the 08 run and also in the 12 run. The players are the ones who make the plays and do the executing. Not taking anything away from Spags and Fewell.

BParcells777
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Spags did not have this Defense

He had 75% of this in terms of manpower

brad
01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I believe the players had a lot to do with the 08 run and also in the 12 run. The players are the ones who make the plays and do the executing. Not taking anything away from Spags and Fewell.

Great coaches can make mediocre players look great while poor coaches can make great players look average. Conversely great players can make a decent coordinator look great and a lack of skilled players can make a great coach look bad. They go hand in hand, to be great you need both great player and great coaches. If that wasn't the case, why bother paying so much to get the good coaches, in fact, why have coaches at all?

TuckYou
01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
IF fewell pulls it off, it would be more impressive actually, with all the injuries we had on defense this season. But during the season, we were ranked what, 28th overall? Spags never was ranked outside the top 15.

yoeddy
01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Spags did not have this Defense

He had 75% of this in terms of manpower

Don't know if I agree with this. Spags had Strahan and legitimate LBs...

CDN_G-FAN
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
IF fewell pulls it off, it would be more impressive actually, with all the injuries we had on defense this season. But during the season, we were ranked what, 28th overall? Spags never was ranked outside the top 15.

spags had a better defense during the year, but he had less parts in an out of his starting line-up.

we had 5 different playcallers on defense this year.

Firenugget
01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Spags turned our D from crap to world beater in his 1st year. Installed his own brand new and decisively different schemes/approach/culture and got it all to come together within a single season.

Sorry but Fewell inherited a Ferrari and for the most part has driven it like a Gremlin. Now, he's turned it back around for sure and hopefully it stays that way but he didn't create it. Spags did.

Having said that...I'm not sure if having Spags back means auto good D or not. But if Fewell goes to Bucs or wherever and Spags is available, he has to be the favorite for sure.

yoeddy
01-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Spags turned our D from crap to world beater in his 1st year. Installed his own brand new and decisively different schemes/approach/culture and got it all to come together within a single season.

Sorry but Fewell inherited a Ferrari and for the most part has driven it like a Gremlin. Now, he's turned it back around for sure and hopefully it stays that way but he didn't create it. Spags did.

Having said that...I'm not sure if having Spags back means auto good D or not. But if Fewell goes to Bucs or wherever and Spags is available, he has to be the favorite for sure.

Don't know if I agree with that distinction. Spags and Fewell both inherited defenses that underperformed the prior year under bad coordinators. And in Fewell's case, the Sheridan defense he inherited had the worst defensive season in Giants history in terms of points given up.

G.I. Ants
01-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Spags inherited a good D who played like crap the year before. Fewell was in the same situation as Spags but this year the injury bug really hit the team big time on the D.

gumby742
01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought the 2008 season was what gave Spags real potential as a HC. The defense was just plain dominant that season.
This.

Garbloz
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
tc deserves credit

Voldamort
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
got it

bigblue5611
01-16-2012, 09:58 PM
big diff IMO between 07 and 11 is that the D was more likely to bail out the O in the former, with the opposite tending to be the case for most of the latter...

DandyDon
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
makes u think was it spags or was it the players that made the difference

IMHO it's the Giants head office and head coach that makes the difference.

The Giants organization has always been about family. They win (and lose) as a family.

I cant wait to see what this family does in San Fran next week.

Go Gints!!

JJC7301
01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
as Pak hinted it, Fewell is only HALF WAY to what Spags did. I wouldn't even begin to entertain this comparison just yet.* Still so much more work to do.

Not taking ANYTHING from Fewell, but the Giants D was playing very good in '07-08 -- it was Eli elevating his play that made them that more dangerous in the playoffs that year. Not taking anything away from the victory this weekend, but GB did have the layoff and Philbin's son had died. In SB 42, the Pats were primed and ready and so were the Favre-led Pack. We beat both straight-up.

Not taking anything away from Fewell. I have not been a fan of us even going back to last year, but obviously I was wrong. He's doing great, but lets get to the SB.