PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Schemes vs 49ers

FDNY Fitzy
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
As we all know, the 49ers allowed a startlingly low 220 odd points during the regular season. Understanding that we will not score a ton vs this team, we will need to hold them to (likely) under 20 points to have a legitimate shot of winning the game.

The 9ers offense is not dissimilar to that of the 07 Giants. What packages would you employ to stop the run?

First, Canty, Joseph, and Bernard will all see major time on the field. Umenyiora will likely only come on for 3rd and mid to 3rd and long.

Second, Chase Blackburn and Kiwanuka will have to get good penetration and tackling.

I would almost go with a 5-2 with 3 DT's on the first down plays, Boley on the sideline and dare them to throw the ball.

Either wy, I think we'll see a lot less of the nickel then we did last game, and hopefully a lot more of Kiwi.

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Last game we got lit up by Alex Smith and they did very little on the ground.

TrueBlue07
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Gore was hurt last game, so their run game was very ineffective. This time out I would expect them to try to run much more, and be more successful.

jhamburg
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Gore was hurt last game, so their run game was very ineffective.* This time out I would expect them to try to run much more, and be more successful.

Fair enough, but at the same time Smith has been effective this season and I don't think selling out against the run is a good tactic.

JayDAche
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Gore was hurt last game, so their run game was very ineffective.* This time out I would expect them to try to run much more, and be more successful.
I thought Kendall Hunter played damn well against you guys the last time around.

bLuereverie
01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Kiwi will need to continue his strong play.

If Roddy White and Jordy Nelson were considered the most dangerous targets for the Giants, interesting to see what they do with Vernon. I think 9ers lining him on the outside against Webster works more in the Giants favor than it did with NO.

Crabtree had 4 catches on 10 targets last game? Ginn is mercurial to say the least. The game will go through Gore.

bubblesmcgee
I would almost go with a 5-2 with 3 DT's on the first down plays, Boley on the sideline and dare them to throw the ball.

Boley is our best LB he should be on the field as much as possible

Itlan
If you want to run a 5-2 I would not leave Boley off the field. That's a horrendous idea.

bLuereverie
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I thought Kendall Hunter played damn well against you guys the last time around.

Once Boley got injured. You won't find Paysinger back there Sunday.

FDNY Fitzy
01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
If you want to run a 5-2 I would not leave Boley off the field. That's a horrendous idea.

I like Boley just not vs the run.