PDA

View Full Version : WEATHER: Rain...CONDITIONS: Muddy

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, I heard that its expected to rain Thursday through Sunday in SF. I don't like our chances nearly as much with that info. They've got a healthy Gore, but we've been doing a much better job against the run. But I'm concerned about our running game. I know that we've been running it better, the SF D is obviously very good. I hope that BJ and AB, plus Bass and the rest of the o-line are up to the task.</P>

AND PROTECT THE FOOTBALL!!</P>

miked1958
01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, I heard that its expected to rain Thursday through Sunday in SF. I don't like our chances nearly as much with that info. They've got a healthy Gore, but we've been doing a much better job against the run. But I'm concerned about our running game. I know that we've been running it better, the SF D is obviously very good. I hope that BJ and AB, plus Bass and the rest of the o-line are up to the task.</P>

AND PROTECT THE FOOTBALL!!</P>

</P>

yes in those conditions you are looking more like a score like our 90 game with them. low scoring 15-13 type deal with lots of FGs. You need to have a STRONG RGame in those type conditions and have your Oline moving people out to make room for the runners. We have not done all that well in that dept other then the Falcons game and Late in GB game. I hope eli can still find his footing but if its that muddy we may find alot of dropped balls or INTs with WRs slipping and falling on both sides which will allow guys playing Centerfield to pick up easy INTs. </P>

buddy33
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
If the conditions slow the Giants passing attack what will it do to the 49ers? Eli can throw the ball in the rain and the defenders will be slows just as much as the WR's. The RB's on both sides will have problems moving the ball on a messy field.

nygsb42champs
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
A muddy field will not make it easy to run either.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Normally, I'll take the more physical team in those conditions and SF is damn physical. I'm downgrading my winning prediction from something like 23-20 to 17-13...Giants win. After everything we went through, gotta believe.

swimeasy
01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, I heard that its expected to rain Thursday through Sunday in SF. I don't like our chances nearly as much with that info. They've got a healthy Gore, but we've been doing a much better job against the run. But I'm concerned about our running game. I know that we've been running it better, the SF D is obviously very good. I hope that BJ and AB, plus Bass and the rest of the o-line are up to the task.</p>

AND PROTECT THE FOOTBALL!!</p>

</p>

yes in those conditions you are looking more like a score like our 90 game with them. low scoring 15-13 type deal with lots of FGs. You need to have a STRONG RGame in those type conditions and have your Oline moving people out to make room for the runners. We have not done all that well in that dept other then the Falcons game and Late in GB game. I hope eli can still find his footing but if its that muddy we may find alot of dropped balls or INTs with WRs slipping and falling on both sides which will allow guys playing Centerfield to pick up easy INTs. </p>

This! Oline is my biggest worry for this game especially with the forecast. The holes for the RBs were sorely lacking in the first half at GB. While Eli doesn't complain, he also took some pretty good shots to the sternum. Running the ball more effectively against this tough defense will be key.

Raptor22
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
...Okay

Its not like they've never played in rotten weather in Jersey.

I kinda expect them to be out on the practice field today, because anyone who lives in the northeast knows that as of right now, the weather is full of suck.

nycsportzfan
01-17-2012, 12:06 PM
If the conditions slow the Giants passing attack what will it do to the 49ers? Eli can throw the ball in the rain and the defenders will be slows just as much as the WR's. The RB's on both sides will have problems moving the ball on a messy field. Jacobs becomes harder to tackle as players slide of him and harder for them to plant and tackle on slick field

buddy33
01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
If the conditions slow the Giants passing attack what will it do to the 49ers? Eli can throw the ball in the rain and the defenders will be slows just as much as the WR's. The RB's on both sides will have problems moving the ball on a messy field. Jacobs becomes harder to tackle as players slide of him and harder for them to plant and tackle on slick field

Good point. I'd add Bradshaw into that as well because he runs just as hard.

They both have to play in it. They will both be slowed down by a wet field.

G-Man67
01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
it's all about the wind ... if it's not too windy, we can and will have to pass in those conditions ... we won't be able to out physical them ... (wow, what a difference from the 80s-90s)

the WRs know where they are going, so it can actually be an advantage

but we all know, just as the last game was, this game will be decided by turnovers and the conditions will make it even harder to manage turnovers

galaxy10
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I see the difference in the game at the QB position. Eli plays well in adverse conditions, he throws for more than 300 yards and we win by 7.

HilliardFan16
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Wasn't the Dallas game rainy and wet? Eli murdered that game.

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
...Okay

Its not like they've never played in rotten weather in Jersey.

I kinda expect them to be out on the practice field today, because anyone who lives in the northeast knows that as of right now, the weather is full of suck.

No comparison, the Candlestick Park grass becomes a nightmare when it rains.

Pakman
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry..are we team that plays in a dome? Are we playing one of the best offenses in the NFL?

I'm just confused as to why the 49ers are going to be perfectly fine and we are going to suffer..if someone would please help me understand I would really appreciate it.

lttaylor56
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
The condition of the Candlestick field is horrible. This would have to play into the 9ers game, as they are more used to playing on their surface.

This is where our equipment man, skiba , one of the best in the business comes in. Adapt your equipment to the field conditions and go from there. Let's install some longer spikes in our cleats and dig in god dammit! We have a conference championship to win.

Redeyejedi
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
The Giants Oline I thought looked terrible run blocking in Green Bay. Boothe had his worst game of the season. This 49er front is 10 times more physical I really hope the weather forecast improves.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
The Giants Oline I thought looked terrible run blocking in Green Bay. Boothe had his worst game of the season. This 49er front is 10 times more physical I really hope the weather forecast improves.</P>

Yeah, it's getting me worried.</P>

THE_New_York_Giants
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
The mud makes the run game just as difficult as the pass game. Power backs like Gore and Jacobs tend to have a hard time in the mud as they can't get the traction to push the pile. Running backs like Bradshaw who juke people out of their jockstrap all the time slip and fall. I feel the mud actually benefits slot receivers and receivers like Nicks, as well as designed QB runs. It also benefits the Defensive line but is bad for defensive backs.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
The mud makes the run game just as difficult as the pass game. Power backs like Gore and Jacobs tend to have a hard time in the mud as they can't get the traction to push the pile. Running backs like Bradshaw who juke people out of their jockstrap all the time slip and fall. I feel the mud actually benefits slot receivers and receivers like Nicks, as well as designed QB runs. It also benefits the Defensive line but is bad for defensive backs.</P>

Good points. I still wish we had the run game that we used to have. </P>

SIMMS5611
01-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Just pack the extra-long cleats, &amp; DIG DEEP, BIG BLUE!!!</P>

My dry-cleaner might be afraid of some mud; my football team ain't.</P>

LET'S GO GIANTS!</P>

Manstache
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Wasn't the Dallas game rainy and wet?* Eli murdered that game.*
spoken like a true scholar. im with u 100% on that bruh.

gmenfan2020
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
It is supposed to rain for a few days before the game in SF. The 49ers turf for their outdoor
facility and their stadium is made by Western Sod. [at
http://www.westernsod.com/clients.php] Seems
to me that the Giants should try to find a very wet soggy field of the same Arizona turfgrass to practice on before the game. <u>Three
days of 49er practice on the same sloppy turf in both their practice
facility in Santa Clara and Monster Park will give them a distinct
advantage in game preparation</u>. Hope someone important in the organization takes a look at this issue. Go Blue!

Voldamort
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Just win the game Giants,blizzard,hurricane what ever!!! Eli just keep the noze of the football down,would be nice if the NFL could keep the ball's dry I know that's a lot to ask this group of ref's!

titwio
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I heard heavy rain and maybe even a monsoon...Are they going to at least tarp the field till Sunday to protect to it?

Does anyone know?

dinz
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
on weather.com it said rain for thursday, then chance of showers up to sunday, so maybe that moonsoon wont be coming.. we shall see..

since55
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Tynes kicking off a muddy surface terrorizes me.

miked1958
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Tynes kicking off a muddy surface terrorizes me.</P>

Yes that kick out of bound when they got it at the 40 could have been a killer in a closer game</P>

GameTime
01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
I would assume in a rain game or muddy field the defense has to play like a "contain" kind of scheme since its difficult to run right at a ball carrier or receiver. Maybe I am wrong but I see like a shell type of defense if the footing is terrible.

miked1958
01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
No change in the Forecast.. still calling for heavy rain from thursday through Monday. Wow. This really takes away our HUGE Play ability.</P>

We have been Feeding off at least 1 or 2 HUGE TD plays in each game over past four to either Cruz, Nicks or MM. the weather may just take that away totally.</P>

Guys will be slipping and not running the routes as quick and clean as normal. Hands will be wet and slippery which could mean lots of drops..people falling down as they make their Cuts which could lead to INTS. </P>

So if its a running affair only then based off this season the advantage would have to tip towards SF. Now i know Gore had no rushing yards in last game due to coming off injury and only played a Half. the time before that though he was held to 13 yards i think. But different D.

AB, BJ and Ware have to come to play. and more impt we need the Oline to move people out. Tough to do with SF. We will need an effort like they had vs the Falcons to have chance to win this game. </P>

Hopefully if we can get in close (20 yard line in) Eli can still work his magic and hit for a few TD passes. but you have to think in weather like this you wont see the 30/50 yard passes with the long YAC that you would see on a dry day. </P>

miked1958
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
also in games this messy you can have alot of bad exchanges between the qb and the Rb.. That could lead to Fumbles you would not normally see.

miked1958
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Not that it will matter... but does anyone know if they cover the Turf at Candlestick prior to games?... If they are calling for Rain Through Monday it may not matter cause if they do have the Huge Rollout Tarps, as soon as they take them off and the guys start running and cutting, it wont take long to tear it to sheds. </P>

But i guess its better(tocover it)then to let it pour on the Turf from Thursday to Sunday.. </P>

gfl21213
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
the rain will not hinder BJ.
He will be less inclined to run east, west where he is less effective. BJ running straight downhill will be difficult to stop in this type of weather

freeoscar
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I just want our punt returners to run away from the ball. There is no upside to trying to catch the ball in the wet and wind. The ball won't bound forward in the mud, so you don't lose much field position. And our return game is mediocre at best anyway. This is a game where avoiding TO's is huge.

miked1958
01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I just want our punt returners to run away from the ball. There is no upside to trying to catch the ball in the wet and wind. The ball won't bound forward in the mud, so you don't lose much field position. And our return game is mediocre at best anyway. This is a game where avoiding TO's is huge.</P>

Going to have to agree. We dont need to take any unnecessarychances in weather like this. let it hit and go back on offense</P>

GameTime
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Not that it will matter... but does anyone know if they cover the Turf at Candlestick prior to games?... If they are calling for Rain Through Monday it may not matter cause if they do have the Huge Rollout Tarps, as soon as they take them off and the guys start running and cutting, it wont take long to tear it to sheds. </P>

But i guess its better(tocover it)then to let it pour on the Turf from Thursday to Sunday.. </P>

</P>

they would have to cover the turf. No way they let that sit in rain for 4 days......</P>

It will get messy for sure but it will be covered until game day...</P>

</P>

</P>

buddy33
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
They both have to play in it. Yeah, the WR's will be slowed down, but so will the defenders. The WR's know where they are going. The defenders do not.

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
The mud makes the run game just as difficult as the pass game. Power backs like Gore and Jacobs tend to have a hard time in the mud as they can't get the traction to push the pile. Running backs like Bradshaw who juke people out of their jockstrap all the time slip and fall. I feel the mud actually benefits slot receivers and receivers like Nicks, as well as designed QB runs. It also benefits the Defensive line but is bad for defensive backs.

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Advantage: the better QB / Receivers.

lttaylor56
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Advantage: the better QB / Receivers.The field/weather will effect both teams. The team with the most reps on that type of surface will have an advantage of familiarity. On offense, a slip here and there will effect the timing of routes and schemes.

The QB and offense who can adapt to the environment quickest and most effectively will have the advantage.

I wish we did not have to consider the weather Sunday, but we have 0 control over it.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
The mud makes the run game just as difficult as the pass game. Power backs like Gore and Jacobs tend to have a hard time in the mud as they can't get the traction to push the pile. Running backs like Bradshaw who juke people out of their jockstrap all the time slip and fall. I feel the mud actually benefits slot receivers and receivers like Nicks, as well as designed QB runs. It also benefits the Defensive line but is bad for defensive backs. DING DING DING DING!!!! Advantage: the better QB / Receivers.</P>

Yeah, I don't see BJ being the key to this game. It's going to be AB and his low center of gravity / great balance that will count. I can't picture the big guy running well in mud.</P>

repeatchamps
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, well, well what do we have here, by Saturday only a slight chance remains, nada for Sunday:</P>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=94101</DIV>
<DIV class=titleSubtle></DIV>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Today</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/chancerain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreCondition>Chance of Rain
<DIV>20% chance of precipitation</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Tonight</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/nt_rain.gif</A> 41 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreCondition>Rain
<DIV>60% chance of precipitation</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Tomorrow</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/rain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> | 48 F </DIV>
<DIV>80% chance of precipitation</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Friday</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/rain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>61</SPAN> | 48 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Saturday</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/chancerain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> | 45 F </DIV>
<DIV>40% chance of precipitation</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>Sunday</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/partlycloudy.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>54</SPAN> | 45 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreCondition>Partly Cloudy</DIV></DIV>

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Well, well, well what do we have here, by Saturday only a slight chance remains, nada for Sunday:</P>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=titleSubtle>http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=94101</DIV>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/chancerain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/nt_rain.gif</A> 41 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/rain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> | 48 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/rain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>61</SPAN> | 48 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/chancerain.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>55</SPAN> | 45 F </DIV>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreSummary><A class=iconSwitchSmall>http://icons-ak.wxug.com/i/c/a/partlycloudy.gif</A> <SPAN class=b>54</SPAN> | 45 F </DIV>

</P>

Even so, it'll still be a mudbowl after all those days of rain. Tarp or no tarp.</P>

repeatchamps
01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>

</P>

Even so, it'll still be a mudbowl after all those days of rain. Tarp or no tarp.</P>

</P>

Disagree. Slippery yes, mudbowl no.</P>

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>
<DIV class=foreGlance>

</P>

</P>

Disagree. Slippery yes, mudbowl no.</P>

</P>

I don't know that's a lot of rain over a few day period. Either way, I miss when WE were built for games like this -- power running. Well, maybe we still are. Let's see.</P>

OX1
01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
And the winds are way down from what they were calling for, even more important to our passing game than the rain, IMO........

ozzie0075
01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Forecast looking better and better with each passing hour.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0987:1:US

Cindy in INdy
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
and for sure Eli will remember Peyton scuffing the wax off the balls for SB XLI, that info was what made a difference according to SI

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

But i guess its better(to*cover it)*then to let it pour on the Turf from Thursday to Sunday.. </P>

</P>

they would have to cover the turf. No way they let that sit in rain for 4 days......</P>

It will get messy for sure but it will be covered until game day...</P>

*</P>

*</P>
Absolutely they would. Wouldn't doubt that they'd dump the water from the tarp onto the field.