PDA

View Full Version : Can Beckum be salvaged?

NYG 5
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM
the Giants have the dumbest, slowest, weakest, worst run blocking tight ends in the league. all i see is ballard not knowing whats going on, beckum getting tangled up in traffic, and pascoe whiffing blocks on the edge.

that said, beckum has a little bit of speed. i wonder if he could lose weight and just become a bigger possession receiver, sort of like derek hagan. if he can't get inside positioning on linebackers, maybe he could do it against corners?

that said, who's toes do they have to suck for the giants to get a legitimate tight end?

MikeIsaGiant
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I like Ballard, but that's my opinion

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Maybe it's just me but I am not thinking about our prerceived TE issues right now. We have a game to play on Sunday, for the NFC Championship. Ballard had done more than an average job anyway.

krygny
01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Even if what Ballard did earlier in the year was over-achievement, worst case, he's at least serviceable. I think Beckum comes into camp next year having to make the team. Either way, we need at least two bona fide TEs with Pasco and Hynoski in dual roles.

miked1958
01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
the Giants have the dumbest, slowest, weakest, worst run blocking tight ends in the league. all i see is ballard not knowing whats going on, beckum getting tangled up in traffic, and pascoe whiffing blocks on the edge.

that said, beckum has a little bit of speed. i wonder if he could lose weight and just become a bigger possession receiver, sort of like derek hagan. if he can't get inside positioning on linebackers, maybe he could do it against corners?

that said, who's toes do they have to suck for the giants to get a legitimate tight end?
</P>

I think there is a use for both Ballard and Beckum. I like the way we have been using them both. Tailored to their Strenths. </P>

they have both contributed</P>

G-Man67
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
i double dog dare you to say that to their faces :)

Beckum has made a few plays lately ... he is obviously a pass-catching TE only

and TE is a position we do need to upgrade, Ballard has been a nice story, but a real stud there would give us yet another weapon

Voldamort
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Before Ballard hurt his knee he was having a good year not great. Beckum needs to catch every thing thrown to him,and run when Reese picked this guy I thought he was going to be a very good passcatching tight end,but the guy is always hurt!!!

THE_New_York_Giants
01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
i double dog dare you to say that to their faces :)

Beckum has made a few plays lately ... he is obviously a pass-catching TE only

and TE is a position we do need to upgrade, Ballard has been a nice story, but a real stud there would give us yet another weapon
I like the way all 3 of them have been playing.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I like Ballard, but that's my opinion</P>

+1. And I like Pascoe, too. I'm not saying that we can't improve the position via the draft, but I'm okay with those guys. Pascoe can play FB too, if necessary. I could live with them for 1 more year and see how they progress. They seem very coachable and lets face it -- Ballard had one heck of a year. Keep both for at least one more year -- they're dirt cheap and we can spend that money elsewhere.</P>

Beckum, I don't mind anymore having him around as a 3rd TE &amp; 4th WR. I do NOT want him strictly asa TE -- a TE MUST be able to block and I don't see him having the strength to do it, and he hasn't shown that he can do it. If MM is gone after this year, it would be interesting to see if Beckum could strictly become the 3rd WR. He's made some plays this year and had a very nice 1st half against GB this past Sunday.</P>

Zaggs
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
If I remember right, Ballard is basically a first year player like Cruz. He maybe played in a couple of games last year. I mean I'd love a Vernon Davis type guy at TE, but give the guy a break.

Spizi
01-17-2012, 04:11 PM

no he can't be salvaged.

With the 32nd pick in the 2012 NFL draft the New York Giants select Dwayne Allen. TE, Clemson.

G-Dawg92
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
can Beckum be salvaged? as a TE, no. WR, yes...I think.

since we dont use our TEs in the role that of a Dustin Keller or Dallas Clark. Like the OP, I think Beckum essentially slims down and plays that possession WR role that Barden can't really seem to grasp.

gmen46
01-17-2012, 06:19 PM

since we dont use our TEs in the role that of a Dustin Keller or Dallas Clark. Like the OP, I think Beckum essentially slims down and plays that possession WR role that Barden can't really seem to grasp.

Perception is reality, I guess. Barden actually has 1 more yard total than does Beckum, with 4 more total receptions for the year, playing in 5 fewer games.

That 67 yard TD vs GB in December amounted to 72% of Beckum's production in 2011, and is the only play that distinguished him in his 3 year CAREER, not just this season.

Nothing about Beckum's contribution to date justifies retaining him while dropping Barden.

And they both have had serious injuries keeping them off the field during their 3 years in the league.

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
LOL, sorry but the "perception is reality" saying is not pertainable to fan's perception of reality. Just read these boards right.

G-Dawg92
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Perception is reality, I guess. Barden actually has 1 more yard total than does Beckum, with 4 more total receptions for the year, playing in 5 fewer games.

That 67 yard TD vs GB in December amounted to 72% of Beckum's production in 2011, and is the only play that distinguished him in his 3 year CAREER, not just this season.

Nothing about Beckum's contribution to date justifies retaining him while dropping Barden.

And they both have had serious injuries keeping them off the field during their 3 years in the league.

you're absolutely right now that I think about it.

I guess I took the Giants' coaching staff decision to de-activate Barden after his poor outing vs. the Jets as a vote of no confidence and him not being here next year. hell, it's possible both could be axed...

bLuereverie
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Beckum's career can be salvaged. Just not with the NY Football Giants.

bLuereverie
01-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Beckum's career can be salvaged. Just not with the NY Football Giants.

gmen46
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
LOL, sorry but the "perception is reality" saying is not pertainable to fan's perception of reality. Just read these boards right.

I understand.

But I am incapable of discounting a fan's blind belief in the pursuit of intelligence and common sense, even about football.

Call it a genetic flaw on my part.

gmen46
01-17-2012, 06:33 PM

I guess I took the Giants' coaching staff decision to de-activate Barden after his poor outing vs. the Jets as a vote of no confidence and him not being here next year. hell, it's possible both could be axed...

Agreed.

Or it could come down to if we draft a TE in first 3 rounds, which could result in dropping Travis and retaining Barden as a 4th or 5th WR.

G-Dawg92
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Agreed.

Or it could come down to if we draft a TE in first 3 rounds, which could result in dropping Travis and retaining Barden as a 4th or 5th WR.

seems like the more likely route.