PDA

View Full Version : New Breed of Tight End

RedskinHater
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Was reading an article on the NY Times ( subscription ) that the only to truly stop these guys is to press them at the line and disrupt the timing. They are not the quarter horse type of receiver and take a little longer to get up to speed.
It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................

THE_New_York_Giants
01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Was reading an article on the NY Times ( subscription ) that the only to truly stop these guys is to press them at the line and disrupt the timing. They are not the quarter horse type of receiver and take a little longer to get up to speed.
*It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................

You're right, he is better than Jimmy Graham.

Eli TO Shockey
01-17-2012, 02:29 PM
can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch

NYCDBS
01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Davis is a beast but so is Ballard he may not be as fast as those guys but he's tough to get on the ground...

giantsforce
*It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................
The way you defend against TE like these is to bring pressure so they keep them back for extra protection.

THE_New_York_Giants
can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch

I've always thought he was the best tight end in the game.

RedskinHater
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM

I don't know. Gronk seems to be a Frankenstein character : size, speed and an unearthly athletic ability. ( Got to hand it to Belacheat drafting him and Hernandez and redoing the position...or at least what can be done there )

THE_New_York_Giants
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM

I don't know. Gronk seems to be a Frankenstein character : size, speed and an unearthly athletic ability. ( Got to hand it to Belacheat drafting him and Hernandez and redoing the position...or at least what can be done there )

If we drafted a beast tight end to go with Ballard. My goodness.

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM

I would say the most athletic. He can be a little frustrating at times. Looks unstoppable like he did against the Saints, and then sometimes makes bonehead plays or has hand troubles.

A beast though, that's for sure.

GMenNY21
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

If we drafted a beast tight end to go with Ballard. My goodness.One name: Dwayne Allen

RedskinHater
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM

If we drafted a beast tight end to go with Ballard. My goodness.One name: Dwayne Allen

Uh- that's two [;)] Ever realize how many criminals have two first names [6]

IamGiantsfan
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop
That is a real criminal name :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45926359/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/beezow-doo-doo-zopittybop-bop-bop-arrested/

RedskinHater
01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop
That is a real criminal name :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45926359/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/beezow-doo-doo-zopittybop-bop-bop-arrested/
Knew his brother : Zippity Doo Dah

Giantz4Life
01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
These new tight ends are ridiculous simply because they are essentially basketball players who bulked up and converted into football players.

Antonio Gates was the first one that comes to mind.

Jimmy Graham is scary good, but he comes off WAY too ****y. He's probably such a **** head off the field just walking around like he owns the world.

Gronk is just a beast. Plain and simple. I actually thought Hernandez was going to be the more effective receiver of the two prior to this year because he is basically a WR in a TE's body and another converted basketball player.

These guys have completely redefined the position.

AllTuckedUp
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM

Spot on. Once they get running you're not stopping them. JPP would bang Finley everytime on the line and that would mess him up.

NYCDBS
01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
These new tight ends are ridiculous simply because they are essentially basketball players who bulked up and converted into football players.

Jimmy Graham is scary good, but he comes off WAY too ****y. He's probably such a **** head off the field just walking around like he owns the world.

Gronk is just a beast. Plain and simple. I actually thought Hernandez was going to be the more effective receiver of the two prior to this year because he is basically a WR in a TE's body and another converted basketball player.

Could you imagine what Eli would do with One of these guys and our receivers...

Spizi
01-17-2012, 06:23 PM

come on over to my Dwayne Allen thread in the draft forum. He makes too much sense!!

bLuereverie
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
No one likes Coby Fleener?

bflo23
01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................

I watched Gronk. I have to say he gets away with so much push offs. Defensive backs just brush against a WR or TE and they get the flag. He ran 15 yards down the field, 2 arm push that creates like 5 yard space and then Brady hits him for the TD last game. I am like "Where is the flag?". All year Gronk and Brady combo has been doing this. We all know how the NFL protects Brady and the Pats so they let it go. I am not saying Gronk isn't good bc he has size and strength. I am saying he gets away with a lot. Whoever faces Gronk or Davis even Hernandez? Lets plow their ***** to the ground within 5 yards.

gmen46
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Kellen Winslow (Sr) is the one who redefined the position, followed by Tony Gonzales 16-17 years later.

It just took a generation to develop more players like them, since Winslow was a true freak (a one-of-a-kind TE) at the time he played.

Today, most big colleges are looking to recruit the next "Gonzales" TE, or at least to develop one, because the NFL is always looking for the next Tony G.

Gronk, Graham, Davis, Finley, Winslow II are all descendants of the original Winslow / Gonzales mold.

Even Shockey was in the earlier mold of Gonzales, and functioned that way his rookie year in particular. Gates is in the Shockey "transition class" of the new TE., not the original.

At least that's how I see the timeline of the modern receiving TE.

In our case, Beckum is more like Shannon Sharpe in physique (small for a TE) as a receiving TE, although of course has none of the talent of Sharpe.

And Ballard is more a retro classic TE like Ditka and Bavaro, although without the talent--so far, anyway--of those 2.

Zaggs
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

Outside of 1 coverage lapse the Giants did a good job on Davis in the first game (only 40 yards I think). It was either Grant a Greg Jones that was in the wrong zone to cover him.