PDA

View Full Version : Is a letdown coming?

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey Guys,

First time poster, longtime lurker.

Maybe it's cause I am a bit of a pessimist, but I do believe that teams that go on stretches tend to hit a wall. Giants have been feeling like it's been the playoffs since the Jets game. Is a letdown coming?

Could argue that we've already had those in Philly and Washington, but it' been a few weeks now.

By letdown I don't necessarily mean just a loss (losing to the Niners wouldn't be surprising, as they are a good team), but New York teams do have a history of playing low when they are supposed to be playing high.

Think this team might run out of gas?

GMENAGAIN
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I would be shocked by a letdown in the NFC Championship game. Would not be shocked by a loss . . . but would be shocked by a letdown.

gianthole
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Like when they ran out of gas in 07?

zimonami
01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I would be shocked by a letdown in the NFC Championship game.* Would not be shocked by a loss . . .* but would be shocked by a letdown.
Me, too. It's mostly mental, and I think they're at a peak that will not wane for the Championship or SB. If SF simply plays better, that's OK because they are mentally primed now, too.

Pakman
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
If anything SF would be the one with a letdown game (NOT SAYING THE ARE)

They Swapped leads so many times in the 4th qtr and they won the game in the last 10 secs. Can they recover from that kind of emotional win?

Yeah they probably will, but the pressure of a "let down" is on SF especially in front of their home crowd.

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I remembering having this same thought in 07. Thought it was too good to be true. Here's to hoping the Giants repeat.

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I think that's a good point.

You think Alex Smith is the one with the most pressure on him Sunday?

GameTime
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey Guys, First time poster, longtime lurker. Maybe it's cause I am a bit of a pessimist, but I do believe that teams that go on stretches tend to hit a wall. Giants have been feeling like it's been the playoffs since the Jets game. Is a letdown coming? Could argue that we've already had those in Philly and Washington, but it' been a few weeks now. By letdown I don't necessarily mean just a loss (losing to the Niners wouldn't be surprising, as they are a good team), but New York teams do have a history of playing low when they are supposed to be playing high. Think this team might run out of gas?</P>

the Giants let down more on games they are "supposed" to win. </P>

This is obviously a big game. I think they come out and play really hard. They can win but the Niners are a potent team and they are riding very high right now. </P>

JMGGIANTS
01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Teams don't have letdowns in the playoffs, only in the regular season.

bigjeep
01-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I would be shocked by a letdown in the NFC Championship game. Would not be shocked by a loss . . . but would be shocked by a letdown. Me, too. It's mostly mental, and I think they're at a peak that will not wane for the Championship or SB. If SF simply plays better, that's OK because they are mentally primed now, too.</P>

</P>

[Y]</P>

Zaggs
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I think because the team was ticked at how the San Fran game ended in week 10 I dont expect a letdown this week. Doesn't mean they'll win, in fact I think they will.

BigBlue121
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Noooooooooo

Zaggs
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I would be shocked by a letdown in the NFC Championship game. Would not be shocked by a loss . . . but would be shocked by a letdown.
Me, too. It's mostly mental, and I think they're at a peak that will not wane for the Championship or SB. If SF simply plays better, that's OK because they are mentally primed now, too.

I'm actually willing to bet they are over confident since they beat the Giants earlier, they just won't remember how.

G-Man67
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
great 1st post ... letdown ... please

the NFL is a war of attrition ... it's a real grind ... these guys are beat up and banged up, but with the finish line in sight ... expect a great effort ... now great effort doesn't automatically mean great execution and SF is a tough physical team with the home field advantage, so we can easily lose, but it will not be for lack of effort

BigBlue121
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
For some reason i really wanna see Rolle,Boley and Canty get a ring. I think they would cry

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

the NFL is a war of attrition ... it's a real grind ... these guys are beat up and banged up, but with the finish line in sight ... expect a great effort ... now great effort doesn't automatically mean great execution and SF is a tough physical team with the home field advantage, so we can easily lose, but it will not be for lack of effort

Agreed.

miked1958
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys, First time poster, longtime lurker. Maybe it's cause I am a bit of a pessimist, but I do believe that teams that go on stretches tend to hit a wall. Giants have been feeling like it's been the playoffs since the Jets game. Is a letdown coming? Could argue that we've already had those in Philly and Washington, but it' been a few weeks now. By letdown I don't necessarily mean just a loss (losing to the Niners wouldn't be surprising, as they are a good team), but New York teams do have a history of playing low when they are supposed to be playing high. Think this team might run out of gas?</P>

<FONT size=6>NO!!!!!!!!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT size=6>Check out the SIG for the FINAL SCORE</FONT></P>

burier
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
What we think simply does not matter.

The Giants have decided to win the Superbowl this season and that is whats going to happen.

No worries....grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

nygsb42champs
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
This is the NFC championship game if they let down for that I will be shocked.

NYfanatic
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I anything San Fran just looked so happy to win last sunday vs the saints they remind me of the Jets last year and how they used everything they got to beat the pats. Next week they look exhausted vs the steelers. I dont think our team looks like that at all. More like the 07 Giants or 11 Packers. But what do I know?

CTLadyBlue
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I think the only thing that concerns me about this 'Revenge Tour' is that IF we beat SF and NE beats Balt, that, the way things have been aligning, that it may be NE taking the SB.

Think about it - all the teams that beat us during the regular season back in '07 (Dallas, GB and NE) we took care of in the playoffs and SB.

This year, GB beat us (ironically, by the same score NE beat us back in '07) and we got 'revenge' on them. Now we're onto SF to get our revenge on them. Should we, and NE beats Balt, because we beat NE in the regular season, maybe the stars will be aligned for them to have 'revenge' for both SB 42 and the regular season loss.

Hokey - yes, I know. I don't believe in this stuff, but all these weird things have been aligning that it just makes me go hmmm.

That nonsense aside, I don't think the Giants will rest on their laurels nor think this is a cakewalk. Quite the opposite and don't think for one moment TC isn't goint to demand 'ten minutes early to meeting and no leaving until we get it right' rule. This is serious business. If anything worries me - its the crappy weather their expecting, but the forecast can change between now and Sunday

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 03:54 PM
If anything SF would be the one with a letdown game (NOT SAYING THE ARE)

They Swapped leads so many times in the 4th qtr and they won the game in the last 10 secs. Can they recover from that kind of emotional win?

Yeah they probably will, but the pressure of a "let down" is on SF especially in front of their home crowd.

I completely agree, a letdown would definitely come in the form of San Francisco with it being a home field game.

However, there was a lead switch many times... but that is due to our underachieving offense. It's no secret, that is the weak part of our team.

It's only so long that our defense could hold off Brees' 65 Pass attempts for nothing.

Voldamort
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Could it happen sure,will it happen no!! This team wants there own history the past is the past! Let's go G-MEN bring it home!!!

MikeIsaGiant
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
If we lose, but do well thats not a let-down.

If we end up getting raped, that's a letdown.

Teams playing in a NFC championship getting a major beatdown aren't good.

Look at denver, who plays so well against the Steelers and then goes to New England and gets a beatdown like that?

That's not a real playoff team.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I think the only thing that concerns me about this 'Revenge Tour' is that IF we beat SF and NE beats Balt, that, the way things have been aligning, that it may be NE taking the SB.

Think about it - all the teams that beat us during the regular season back in '07 (Dallas, GB and NE) we took care of in the playoffs and SB.

This year, GB beat us (ironically, by the same score NE beat us back in '07) and we got 'revenge' on them. Now we're onto SF to get our revenge on them. Should we, and NE beats Balt, because we beat NE in the regular season, maybe the stars will be aligned for them to have 'revenge' for both SB 42 and the regular season loss.

Hokey - yes, I know. I don't believe in this stuff, but all these weird things have been aligning that it just makes me go hmmm.

That nonsense aside, I don't think the Giants will rest on their laurels nor think this is a cakewalk. Quite the opposite and don't think for one moment TC isn't goint to demand 'ten minutes early to meeting and no leaving until we get it right' rule. This is serious business. If anything worries me - its the crappy weather their expecting, but the forecast can change between now and Sunday

Just wondering....
What makes all you Giants fans think that New England will be the team to make it to the SB....?

I'm willing to bet the Ravens beat them at the hands of Ray Rice vs the #31 defense in the NFL.

burier
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Valid concern but the Giants have a psychological advantage over the Pats and more specifically Eli has a psycological advantage over Brady. Brady will be forcing balls all over the place trying to rid himself of ghosts of SB past.

And its just a bad matchup for the Pats. They cant block our front 4 and Brady is a poor quarterback when pressured.

The Pats don't want anything to do with the Giants.

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM

I think we're all kind of thinking that, or at least a number of us might be. I know it's crossed my mind. We may be getting a little 'stitious.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I anything San Fran just looked so happy to win last sunday vs the saints they remind me of the Jets last year and how they used everything they got to beat the pats. Next week they look exhausted vs the steelers. I dont think our team looks like that at all. More like the 07 Giants or 11 Packers. But what do I know?

We haven't won a playoff game since '97....
I wouldn't have expected anything less.

I can't say I've seen the 9ers come out flat once this season.... With the exception of the Harbaugh Bowl... We looked awful.

1. Played on a Short week.
2. Back to back East coast games.

Took a huge toll on the team.

ErnieReese
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Just wondering....
What makes all you Giants fans think that New England will be the team to make it to the SB....?

I'm willing to bet the Ravens beat them at the hands of Ray Rice vs the #31 defense in the NFL.

I actually think Ravens have a better chance of winning than most people may be giving them credit for. I think Brady is great, and his targets are great, but Ravens have a lot of great defensive players, so it's not out of the question that they can at least contain Brady. It's really up to Flacco and Rice to play well. Unless people think New England has an underrated defense, I can see Flacco and Rice doing a number on it. But Flacco is very inconsistent. But, it's possible. He's still talented, or has enough to talent. Plus, he has Boldin.

JJC7301
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
I would be shocked by a letdown in the NFC Championship game. Would not be shocked by a loss . . . but would be shocked by a letdown.</P>

Well put. The 49ers have been a very consistent team this year who has beaten some darn good teams themselves like the Steelers and the Saints. They've got the best D this year and Alex Smith is having a very good year. Plus, they're on a mission too and Harbaugh is a darn good coach (I really like his style). </P>

It's going to be tough and a loss is certainly a possibility, but I don't think we'll be throwing tons if INTs and losing a sloppy game. If we lose, it's because we lost straight-up to the better team. That's how I describe a "let down" in this game.</P>

But I like our chances, our players, our play, our mentality, our experience, our coaches, and our leadership. Most of all, I like our chances.</P>

BigBlue D
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Teams don't have letdowns in the playoffs, only in the regular season.

Unless your name begins with FAL and ends in CONS

CDN_G-FAN
01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
this team isn't just getting the bounces and the breaks in a game.</P>

they're playing on an emotional high after spending most of the season on a roller coaster.</P>

i don't think we'll get a let down as you've defined it.</P>

they could certainly lose, and if the weather is really cruddy their chances of winning diminish, but they won't come out and lay an egg.</P>

</P>

NY_Eli
01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
After destroying the best team in the league over the regular season, I'd be shocked if there was a letdown. Obviously anything can happen, but I don't think 49ers match up against the giants any better or worse than vice versa.

Roosevelt
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys,

Maybe it's cause I am a bit of a pessimist, but I do believe that teams that go on stretches tend to hit a wall. Giants have been feeling like it's been the playoffs since the Jets game. Is a letdown coming?

Could argue that we've already had those in Philly and Washington, but it' been a few weeks now.

By letdown I don't necessarily mean just a loss (losing to the Niners wouldn't be surprising, as they are a good team), but New York teams do have a history of playing low when they are supposed to be playing high.

The Niners had an extra week off, so they might feel a little better physically then us, but I see no let-down in this team.

We have playoff experience on our side. Our vets have already won one. They will lead our younger guys - letting them know they have to seize the moment.

Regardless of what happens on Sunday there will be no let-downs on our side.

BigBlue D
01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Just wondering....

I think the Ravens will win as well. The Texans have a very good D, and they were able to pull out a win, even though they played poorly on the offensive side of the ball.

The Pats D has been playing quality D the past few games but I don't think they can stop Ray Rice and the deep threat in Smith.

Top that with their physical D who can disrupt routes and rattle Brady (and we know what happens when you get him moving outside the pocket), and I think the Ravens win by a score.

blueomaha
01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
IMO, no...we are 1 of 2 teams left...this is it...this is a must win...this oppertunity may never come anytime soon...get it done...this week is the slowest week in history...dont even think about a let down.....

gmen46
01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey Guys,

What you fear HAS happened to the Giants before.

The 2000 season, when we won 7 consecutive games capped by a beat down of the Vikings in the NFC Championship game.

And we then stunk up the Super Bowl.

But this isn't the Fassel / Collins-led Giants that had not won anything higher than that NFC Championship game.

This is the Coughlin / Manning-led Giants, which not only has overcome the monkey of a home playoff game, it has already won the Big Game against the winningest team in NFL history in a single season.

Win or lose, there will be no "let down" vs the Niners.

I admit I harbored a slight fear of that going into the Packers game, but the Giants overcame that fear in a stunning manner.

Watch all the Monday interviews of Giants players and Coughlin. There can be no doubt, this team has not taken their eye off the prize.

gmen46
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Hey Guys,

What you fear HAS happened to the Giants before.

The 2000 season, when we won 7 consecutive games capped by a beat down of the Vikings in the NFC Championship game.

And we then stunk up the Super Bowl.

But this isn't the Fassel / Collins-led Giants that had not won anything higher than that NFC Championship game.

This is the Coughlin / Manning-led Giants, which not only has overcome the monkey of a home playoff game, it has already won the Big Game against the winningest team in NFL history in a single season.

Win or lose, there will be no "let down" vs the Niners.

I admit I harbored a slight fear of that going into the Packers game, but the Giants overcame that fear in a stunning manner.

Watch all the Monday interviews of Giants players and Coughlin. There can be no doubt, this team has not taken their eye off the prize.

We beat the Niners by a MINIMUM of 10 points.

Bigbluereckingcrew
01-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with this post, valid concern. If history is any indicator, we r the most dangerious team in the playoffs right now. Everyone will point to 07, but the

2010 packers ran the table last year

2005 steelers were also a low seeded team that needed to run the table and did

2006 colts won it in feb 07 i think they were a third seed, had to play through

In fact, i think the last #2 seed to win the superbowl were the 2000 rams....btw when we won it in feb 08, we were a 4th seed, same seed we are this year.....this is just getting creepy, the only thing that would bug me out more is if words comes out that tuck skipped training camp on purpose.....does that lock out count???

NYCDBS
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't think a let down is coming at all... I think if anyone is due for a let down its San Fran... They played a very hard fought emotional game this weekend letdowns usually follow performances like that... The Giants on the other hand for as good as we have been playing I still don't think this team has played its best ball... I'm really looking forward to the game this weekend should be another classic...

gmen46
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with this post, valid concern. If history is any indicator, we r the most dangerious team in the playoffs right now. Everyone will point to 07, but the

2010 packers ran the table last year

2005 steelers were also a low seeded team that needed to run the table and did

2006 colts won it in feb 07 i think they were a third seed, had to play through

In fact, i think the last #2 seed to win the superbowl were the 2000 rams....btw when we won it in feb 08, we were a 4th seed, same seed we are this year.....this is just getting creepy, the only thing that would bug me out more is if words comes out that tuck skipped training camp on purpose.....does that lock out count???

Actually, we were #5 seed in 07, wild card to Cowboys Division Champs. We played ALL post season games on the road, remember?

However, we played the NFC South champs in TB in the first rd 07, whereas we played the NFC South wildcard the first round this year.

Other than that, there are many eerie similarities to 07, and I don't want to jinx the 2011 Giants by talking too much about them--as the media has already been doing to my dismay.

Definitely spooky.

JMFP2
01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Seems like the Giants are gaining confidence and momentum with every win.

A letdown in the NFCCG would be highly unlikely, especially given everything I've seen on the field and heard from the players.

G-Dawg92
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
"We won't be denied." - Antrel Rolle

I'll take his word for it...

Manning4MVP
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
If the Giants were to have a letdown going in the NFC Championship game, coming off an epic win over Green Bay, someone needs to call a team psychologist.