PDA

View Full Version : Does heavy rain and sloppy field help the Giants or 49ers more?

bflo23
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
What do you think? With the rain and sloppy field, you would think it would hurt and slow down the Giants passing attack due to slower routes and wet football. I do think that a wet and slippery Nicks and Cruz would only make them more difficult to tackle so they could get big yardage after the catch. I don't think 49ers secondary is that good considering that Brees threw for nearly 500 passing yards last week.

I do think the 49ers rush D is the best in the NFL though. The rain and sloppy field should also hurt and slow down a great and very FAST rushing 49ers defense. This is where Jacobs could take advantage of that but we still haven't seen a dominating consistent rushing attack from Gmen. It could help Gore more. Not sure.

Does heavy rain and sloppy field help the Giants or 49er more? I'm still not sure.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
What do you think? With the rain and sloppy field, you would think it would hurt and slow down the Giants passing attack due to slower routes and wet football. I do think that a wet and slippery Nicks and Cruz would only make them more difficult to tackle so they could get big yardage after the catch. I don't think 49ers secondary is that good considering that Brees threw for nearly 500 passing yards last week.

I do think the 49ers rush D is the best in the NFL though. The rain and sloppy field should also hurt and slow down a great and very FAST rushing 49ers defense. This is where Jacobs could take advantage of that but we still haven't seen a dominating consistent rushing attack from Gmen. It could help Gore more. Not sure.

Does heavy rain and sloppy field help the Giants or 49er more? I'm still not sure.

Posted 600 times since yesterday...
Doesn't hurt to look before you post..

Regardless...
It could possibly benefit either..

The Niners have been practicing on a Soggy field throughout the entire playoff run..
The field is below sea-level.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Spoken like a bias 49er fan that you are. I didn't know the field was so soggy against the 49ers. Soggy field didn't slow down the Saints one bit as he torched the 49ers secondary for nearly 500 yards. Thanks. I feel more confident in knowing that it was also soggy vs the Saints.

jhamburg
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I've never in my entire life heard anyone claim that bad conditions hurts the run game more than the passing game, so...

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Spoken like a bias 49er fan that you are. I didn't know the field was so soggy against the 49ers. Soggy field didn't slow down the Saints one bit as he torched the 49ers secondary for nearly 500 yards. Thanks. I feel more confident in knowing that it was also soggy vs the Saints.

I guess that was a Biased remark...
Why ask if you're going to be a prick about the response?

You asked for the opinion... I gave it.

Did you happen to watch the game?.. or just Look at the end game statistics..?

Yeah he threw for 400 yds, but he threw the ball 70 times, which is unreal to say the least.

90% of his passes were also quick hit screens w/ YAC.

Take away the two Scores at the end of the game, both for 40+ and Brees threw 70 times for only 300 yds.

I'd say our D held up well.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I've never in my entire life heard anyone claim that bad conditions hurts the run game more than the passing game, so...

Guess that makes you a biased 49er fan too then eh?..

Especially considering I said it could benefit either team and my response was considered 49er Biased lol.

JMFP2
01-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Sloppy conditions help the offense more, especially in the passing game. Sounds counterintuitive, but just look at what Tom Brady does to defenses when the weather sucks.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
400 yards and 70 pass attempts? 463 passing yards, 4 TD passes and 63 pass attempts actually but lets all downplay that. 49ers couldn't stop the Saints but just hoped for Saints fumbilitis..... 463 passing yards on a soggy field?

Are you going to hope for 5 turnovers by the Giants? "49ers defense did well." with those Brees stats? Sounds bias. You must have watched a different game. Without the Saints fumbilitis, the Saints would be scoring TDs pretty much on every single possession.

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Posted 600 times since yesterday...
Doesn't hurt to look before you post..

Regardless...
It could possibly benefit either..

The Niners have been practicing on a Soggy field throughout the entire playoff run..
The field is below sea-level.

Have to challenge my fellow Niner fan here :)

The field is NOT below sea level. That is an old wives tale.

If you watch the game from the last week the field was in great shape. (Even after all the talk from the Saints fans saying we were going to water down the field blah blah blah). Didn't happen.

The problem with the field is it does not drain worth a ****. So when it DOES rain, it gets nasty.

Rain starting Wednesday night and continuing through game time last I looked.

It could be nasty.

But its football right?!? :)

Aperspective
01-17-2012, 05:26 PM
If a bear ****s in the woods...

BigBlue D
I'm looking forward to an all out battle in the rain. Players being tackled into huge puddles with mud everywhere. Big hits and smash mouth football between two physical teams.

Good old school football being played for the NFC Championship, it can't get any better!

I like the running combo of Jacobs and Bradshaw in the rain though. I think the RB's win out in this occasion. And I think we can even sneak a few deep throws in there, its harder for DB's to stick a receiver in those conditions.

It's going to be a good one!

bflo23
Sloppy conditions help the offense more, especially in the passing game. Sounds counterintuitive, but just look at what Tom Brady does to defenses when the weather sucks.

I hear this quite a bit. You and many others believe that rainy conditions actually help the offense. I think that I saw the stats that prove it with Patriots. I heard that Brady actually does better in rainy conditions. Those short passes and assuming easier broken tackles go for more YAC.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
400 yards and 70 pass attempts? 463 passing yards, 4 TD passes and 63 pass attempts actually but lets all downplay that. 49ers couldn't stop the Saints but just hoped for Saints fumbilitis..... 463 passing yards on a soggy field?

Are you going to hope for 5 turnovers by the Giants? "49ers defense did well." You must have watched a different game.

If we couldn't stop the Saints, why did they have 300 yds Total offense entering the 4th Quarter?... with 17 pts?...

I watched the game... and our defense was on the field 3/4 of the game, I will stick to my stance that our defense played damn well.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Are you going to hope for 5 turnovers by the Giants? "49ers defense did well." You must have watched a different game.

If we couldn't stop the Saints, why did they have 300 yds Total offense entering the 4th Quarter?... with 17 pts?...

I watched the game... and our defense was on the field 3/4 of the game, I will stick to my stance that our defense played damn well.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Does the 4th quarter count? Last time I checked there were 4 quarters in the game. Yardage and points in 4th quarter matter as much as yardage and points in the other quarters.

I watched the game and Brees moved it with ease and then fumbilitis hits them. Relying on fumbles isn't "good defense".

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm looking forward to an all out battle in the rain. Players being tackled into hug puddles with mud everywhere. Big hits and smash mouth football between two physical teams.

Good old school football being played for the NFC Championship, it can't get any better!

I like the running combo of Jacobs and Bradshaw in the rain though. I think the RB's win out in this occasion. And I think we can even sneak a few deep throws in there, its harder for DB's to stick a receiver in those conditions.

Of course I am going for the Gore Hunter combo but....

Agreed!!!

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
We're a bad weather team. No matter how you shake the dice, I think this favors us. Not worried about it in the slightest, and neither are our players. The GMEN would kick the 49ers asses in a typhoon. They ain't stopping us from going to another Super Bowl, sorry, not gonna happen. Just like Boley said. We're winning this game.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Does the 4th quarter count? Last time I checked there were 4 quarters in the game. Yardage and points in 4th quarter matter as much as yardage and points in the other quarters.

I watched the game and Brees moved it with ease and then fumbilitis hits them. Relying on fumbles isn't "good defense".

I don't know why I waste my time arguing with a moron, you clearly haven't the slightest idea of football anyway.

Good luck on Sunday I'm done in here.
Stupid Bandwagons.

un3ek9er
01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

You act like the Saints just fumbled the ball on their own. 9ers defense CAUSES fumbles and INT's. That's what a GOOD defense does. That's why they were +28 in turnover ratio. It's a bend don't break defense. #1 in the Red Zone. Sure, he threw for 400 yards, but who won the game? You could throw for 10,000 yards, but all that matters is the score.

They completely abandoned the running game after Dhonte Whitner laid wood on Thomas and caused the first fumble. So, of course there is going to be inflated passing yards.

Keep thinking this secondary is suspect because I know your teams coaches aren't overlooking them. They are VERY opportunistic.

PIERCEnumber58rules
I'm looking forward to an all out battle in the rain. Players being tackled into hug puddles with mud everywhere. Big hits and smash mouth football between two physical teams.

This is also how I picture it in my mind! Overcast, pouring rain, muddy field, filthy uniforms. This game could be a classic!

bflo23
Tell us again how points and yardage don't count in the 4th quarter.... Tell us how 462 passing yards, 63.5% comp and 4 TDs is consider "good defense" to you. Bizarro world! That is a moron.

We'll have plenty of San Francisco plates of crow here for you after the game.

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
We're a bad weather team. No matter how you shake the dice, I think this favors us. Not worried about it in the slightest, and neither are our players. The GMEN would kick the 49ers asses in a typhoon. They ain't stopping us from going to another Super Bowl, sorry, not gonna happen. Just like Boley said. We're winning this game.

Sweet story bro!

bflo23
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM

I like the way you think. Giants could play during an earthquake and Eli will find a way to win.

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM

I don't know why I waste my time arguing with a moron, you clearly haven't the slightest idea of football anyway.

Stupid Bandwagons.

Cool. But come back after we stomp you out on Sunday!

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Tell us again how points and yardage don't count in the 4th quarter.... Tell us how 462 passing yards, 63.5% comp and 4 TDs is consider "good defense" to you. Bizarro world! That is a moron.

Yeah... I remember my first time jumping on a wagon.

Wait.. no I don't.

JayDAche
01-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Stupid Bandwagons.

Cool. But come back after we stomp you out on Sunday!

I'll be here to congratulate you all on a good game regardless of the outcome.

Well everyone except the bandwagoneer.

BParcells777
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Sloppy field always favors the passing team.......the receivers know where they are headed but the DBs slip all over the place trying to change direction

Who would you say is the passing team?

PIERCEnumber58rules

I like the way you think. Giants could play during an earthquake and Eli will find a way to win.

That's right. 49ers had a good season. But, sadly, the GMEN are going to smash them in the face with reality on Sunday. They ain't ready to run with us big dogs. They were a good story, but we're the real deal. Wrong place, wrong time for these niners...

TrueBlue07
The 49ers don't practice on the field they play on, and I would bet their practice field isn't shotty like Candlestick's field can be. From what I've heard the field was in awesome shape for the Saints game. Obviously weather will be worse this time around but I honestly don't see this being a reason either team wins or loses. The sloppy field COULD benefit the big backs, so maybe Jacobs has a little more success with it.

Honestly I think this is just a case of a lot of down time during the week for the fans, and a lot being on the line so we make a big deal out of nothing. Both teams have to play in it, don't sweat it too much.

PIERCEnumber58rules
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
The 49ers don't practice on the field they play on, and I would bet their practice field isn't shotty like Candlestick's field can be.* From what I've heard the field was in awesome shape for the Saints game.* Obviously weather will be worse this time around but I honestly don't see this being a reason either team wins or loses.* The sloppy field COULD benefit the big backs, so maybe Jacobs has a little more success with it.

Honestly I think this is just a case of a lot of down time during the week for the fans, and a lot being on the line so we make a big deal out of nothing.* Both teams have to play in it, don't sweat it too much.

I agree. I can't speak for the niners, but we don't let bad weather affect our play. Not concerned at all.

un3ek9er
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM

What does it matter if someone throws for a 1000 yards if you don't WIN the game. When a team throws 63 times, there is going to be a lot of yards put up. The Saints had two big plays go their way. Most of the other yards came off of screens because we were not trying to give up anything downfield. You say you watched the game so you should know that, but who came out with the win? Our D kept us in that game because that's what they do.

Bree's is WAY more elite than Eli. He broke Dan Marino's record this season for pete's sake. Don't think I am taking anything away from Eli, he is an amazing QB, but don't think he is coming into the stick and torching us for 400+ yards.

I'm glad you guys are playing us. Smash mouth football. It's what us as fans live to see. Hard hitting, fought in the trenches football. I can't wait.

Good luck to both teams.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

You act like the Saints just fumbled the ball on their own. 9ers defense CAUSES fumbles and INT's. That's what a GOOD defense does. That's why they were +28 in turnover ratio. It's a bend don't break defense. #1 in the Red Zone. Sure, he threw for 400 yards, but who won the game? You could throw for 10,000 yards, but all that matters is the score.

They completely abandoned the running game after Dhonte Whitner laid wood on Thomas and caused the first fumble. So, of course there is going to be inflated passing yards.

Keep thinking this secondary is suspect because I know your teams coaches aren't overlooking them. They are VERY opportunistic.

Do you know who you remind me of? The Packer fans who were constantly bragging about being #1 in interceptions even though they were dead last in passing yardage. 31 interceptions by the Packers and do you know why? Winning teams like the Packers and 49ers build big enough leads and force their opponent to throw. INTs based on the situation. Dropping more defensive players back and then there are more INTs. It happens all the time. Where were all the Packers INTs vs the Giants? It is kind of fluky when teams rely on turnovers so much. Some are defensive causing fumbles like Osi sack fumble on Rodgers but fumbles are kind of fluky as well as we see players just fumble without any defensive player touching them like Packers Kuhn fumble. And the Giants are not a team that turns it over a lot. Eli is on top of his game and is more careful. Bradshaw and Jacobs hold the ball real well. You think 49ers are gonna lay the hit these 2 RBs and knock them out and cause fumble? They may just knock out your defenders if they go helmet to helmet. This isn't Pierre Thomas or Sproles. I give the 49ers rushing defense plenty of credit and said they are the best there but I am not sold on your secondary defense.

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
The 49ers don't practice on the field they play on, and I would bet their practice field isn't shotty like Candlestick's field can be.* From what I've heard the field was in awesome shape for the Saints game.* Obviously weather will be worse this time around but I honestly don't see this being a reason either team wins or loses.* The sloppy field COULD benefit the big backs, so maybe Jacobs has a little more success with it.

Honestly I think this is just a case of a lot of down time during the week for the fans, and a lot being on the line so we make a big deal out of nothing.* Both teams have to play in it, don't sweat it too much.

I agree. I can't speak for the niners, but we don't let bad weather affect our play. Not concerned at all.

I agree. Probably the only thing that will impact this game less than the weather is all of us going back and forth here :D

ONLY thing I could see is maybe it takes the Giants a bit longer to find the right cleats.

TrueBlue07
01-17-2012, 06:17 PM
also, is everyone forgetting that weather people are wrong more than 50% of the time? It's way too early to know what's going to happen with the weather.

un3ek9er
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Do you know who you remind me of? The Packer fans who were constantly bragging about being #1 in interceptions even though they were dead last in passing yardage. 31 interceptions by the Packers and do you know why? Winning teams like the Packers and 49ers build big enough leads and force their opponent to throw. INTs based on the situation. Dropping more defensive players back and then there are more INTs. It happens all the time. Where were all the Packers INTs vs the Giants? It is kind of fluky when teams rely on turnovers so much. Some are defensive causing fumbles like Osi sack fumble on Rodgers but fumbles are kind of fluky as well as we see players just fumble without any defensive player touching them like Packers Kuhn fumble. And the Giants are not a team that turns it over a lot. Eli is on top of his game and is more careful. Bradshaw and Jacobs hold the ball real well. You think 49ers are gonna lay the hit these 2 RBs and knock them out and cause fumble? They may just knock out your defenders if they go helmet to helmet. This isn't Pierre Thomas or Sproles. I give the 49ers rushing defense plenty of credit and said they are the best there but I am not sold on your secondary defense.
Wow, you just all credibility. You have never watched a 9ers game, just admit it. We do not build up leads and cause teams to pass. We stop the run and manage the clock with running the ball and rely on special teams, mainly Akers to kick field goals.

When you stop the run, you force teams to pass which in turn causes INT's. We also get pressure with 4 closing passing lanes, which leaves Willis and Bowman to roam the field causing QB's to make mistakes.

I think most of your brethren on here would agree with me, that Jacobs and Bradshaw are not knocking out Willis and Bowman, they knock people out. We shut down the Giants running game last time like we do every other team. Granted, you guys were without Bradshaw, but I doubt it would have been any different than any other team we shut down all season. Our front 7 is one of the best, if not the best in football right now. No one can argue that Willis and Bowman are not the best inside linebacker tandom in football.

Lol at Jacobs holding the ball real well. Sure, he is carrying it better, but this is Jacobs we are talking about. He is overdue to cough it up.

I live in Virginia and respect your team. I watch a lot of Giants games. Good luck this weekend.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
What does it matter if someone throws for a 1000 yards if you don't WIN the game. When a team throws 63 times, there is going to be a lot of yards put up. The Saints had two big plays go their way. Most of the other yards came off of screens because we were not trying to give up anything downfield. You say you watched the game so you should know that, but who came out with the win? Our D kept us in that game because that's what they do.

Bree's is WAY more elite than Eli. He broke Dan Marino's record this season for pete's sake. Don't think I am taking anything away from Eli, he is an amazing QB, but don't think he is coming into the stick and torching us for 400+ yards.

I'm glad you guys are playing us. Smash mouth football. It's what us as fans live to see. Hard hitting, fought in the trenches football. I can't wait.

Good luck to both teams.

What does it matter? When I am seeing Brees throw for 462 passing yards and 4 TDs and 49ers are telling me that they played great defense, I am going to disagree. Lets all be real here. Without Saints fumbilitis, Saints easily blow out the 49ers. Before someone says but the Packers turned it over, Giants outplayed the Packers in every aspect of the game and still would have won the game. If it wasn't for 2 bogus ref calls, the real score would have been 37-6. Anyways, I am glad that you are happy that you are facing the Giants (you may wished the Packers after this game though) as us fans are really happy that we are facing you rather than the Saints in their dome.... The thing is that Eli Manning doesn't have to throw for 462 yards to win the game. And the Giants defense don't desperately need 5 bonehead turnovers by the 49ers to win the game either. The Giants are a well balanced team that hasn't turned the ball over much.

un3ek9er
01-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Good luck to both teams.

What does it matter? When I am seeing Brees throw for 462 passing yards and 4 TDs and 49ers are telling me that they played great defense, I am going to disagree. Lets all be real here. Without Saints fumbilitis, Saints easily blow out the 49ers. Before someone says but the Packers turned it over, Giants outplayed the Packers in every aspect of the game and still would have won the game. If it wasn't for 2 bogus ref calls, the real score would have been 37-6. Anyways, I am glad that you are happy that you are facing the Giants (you may wished the Packers after this game though) as us fans are really happy that we are facing you rather than the Saints in their dome.... The thing is that Eli Manning doesn't have to throw for 462 yards to win the game. And the Giants defense don't desperately need 5 bonehead turnovers by the 49ers to win the game either. The Giants are a well balanced team that hasn't turned the ball over much.
The defense caused 5 turnonvers which won us the game.
Keeping the ball out of Bree's hands. You win the turnover battle and you win the game. The Saints made adjustments and almost won the game, but because of the turnovers, WE WON THE GAME! If those turnovers had not had happened, we would have lost.

You beat the Packers because you won the turnover battle which kept the ball out of Rodgers hands.

You want to talk bogus calls. They threw ONE flag against the saints which was a block in the back on a punt.. They were holding Justin Smith ALL NIGHT and I counted about 5 times they were lined up in the neutral zone. There was also a blatent helmet to helmet on Alex Smith on third down which didn't get called.

You're going to tell me that the Saints only committed one penalty? C'mon man!

bflo23
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Keeping the ball out of Bree's hands. You win the turnover battle and you win the game. The Saints made adjustments and almost won the game, but because of the turnovers, WE WON THE GAME! If those turnovers had not had happened, we would have lost.

You beat the Packers because you won the turnover battle which kept the ball out of Rodgers hands.

You want to talk bogus calls. They threw ONE flag against the saints which was a block in the back on a punt.. They were holding Justin Smith ALL NIGHT and I counted about 5 times they were lined up in the neutral zone. There was also a blatent helmet to helmet on Alex Smith on third down which didn't get called.

You're going to tell me that the Saints only committed one penalty? C'mon man!

Really? I am not understating the importance of turnovers. I just find it ridiculous how you assume that the 49ers played great defense because of the Saints fumbilitis. Brees threw for 462 yards and 4 TDs. Because of the Saints fumbilitis, 49ers won. And 49ers kept the ball out of Brees hands?! In what game? Because the Saints held the ball longer than the 49ers and Brees threw over 60 times. Thank the fumbilitis God! And the Giants didn't win because of the "turnover battle". Giants won because they completely outplayed the Packers in every aspect of the game. Watch the game! It was dominating. You make it seem like Rodgers threw for 462 yards and 4 TDs. LOL

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Here is the thing though.

We have given up big passing numbers to every good QB we have faced.

Romo
Vick
Stafford
Eli (aka the lord and savor)
Brees

The thing is, except for Romo, which was back in week 2 (a different 49er team) we won every one of those games.

What you call fumblitis we call bringing the wood. I have to guess you watched the game on Saturday, the ball wasnt magically falling out of the Saints hands, we were hitting them relentlessly. We have done that all year.

The Niner D is aggressive, fast and hard hitting. This does open us up to the big play, but it also hurts players and causes turnovers.

Now you can preach numbers all you want. Watch the games and count Ws. That will tell you the story.

Peace!

bearbryant
01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
The 9ers won due to T.O.'s. They jumped out to a great beginning and the aints could not catch up; nearly did, but did not. Great end to that game.

The passing game is affected by rain, a little but not nearly as much as a windy day. Remember some of those windy Meadowland #1 days where Eli couldn't hit the broad side of a barn due to wind, so there you go.

I like our chances in this game for several reasons: they guys are peaking; they're playing as a team now; the secondary has picked up the pace, the coverage is tight as a drum ( when they do not slip); Blackburn, Boley and Kiwi are playing great together, so is grant and rolle lets not forget KP good INT. All we need is for KG to get creative and learn some more run plays that are passes because its gonna be hard to line up and run on that D but tricky passes could do it. Go Giants!!!

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 07:10 PM
The 9ers won due to T.O.'s. They jumped out to a great beginning and the aints could not catch up; nearly did, but did not. Great end to that game.

The passing game is affected by rain, a little but not nearly as much as a windy day. Remember some of those windy Meadowland #1 days where Eli couldn't hit the broad side of a barn due to wind, so there you go.

I like our chances in this game for several reasons: they guys are peaking; they're playing as a team now; the secondary has picked up the pace, the coverage is tight as a drum ( when they do not slip); Blackburn, Boley and Kiwi are playing great together, so is grant and rolle lets not forget KP good INT. All we need is for KG to get creative and learn some more run plays that are passes because its gonna be hard to line up and run on that D but tricky passes could do it. Go Giants!!!

Just FYI, this storm coming in, it could be very windy as well ;)

But like someone else said, the weather guys have a hard time predicting tomorrow let alone 5 days out.

OX1
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM

No they did not, they caused ONE!!!!!!!!

First one, huge hit on Thomas I will give you that one.

2nd. Brees had ALL DAY and missed a wide open Sproles with room to run.
Brees forced it into coverage for no reason, your D had nothing to do with it.

3rd was muffed punt. Your D, AGAIN, had nothing to do with it, you just waited for the ball.

4th. Henderson tripped, still not caused by you, just a recipient of a mistake (YET AGAIN!!)

5th Sproles dropped the ball before he was even hit. So thats #4 that your D had nothing to do with, but wait for the ball.