PDA

View Full Version : Giants must be physical with 49ers

Coach Carter
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Saints came out passing and Thomas got knocked out of the game. Giants need to run Jacobs up the middle and let him run over some people.

Also, Kenny Phillips needs to lay someone out on the first drive to set the tone - even if he gets a 15yd penalty.

TrueBlue07
01-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I agree we do need to match their physical level, and it would be great if we could establish the run but I think we need to keep in mind we need to do what we do. We are a pass first team, they are not good at defending the pass (at least aren't as good). I think it would be foolish for us to try and be some one we're not. We can match their physical level and intensity and still play our game. I believe a big reason why we both advanced was our ability to punch NO & GB in the mouth. They are finesse, offensive teams. We can play a little tougher, this will be a dog fight.

scf424
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Score a touchdown on our opening drive.

I want BJ to truck Dashon Goldson

Maurice55
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I believe a big reason why they have has success in the past 4 weeks is a balanced mix of finesse and physical punch and intensity. I expect it to be no different this week and if we are going to win we are going to need to play much the same way. The desire and intensity they have shown leads me to believe there will be no letdown on this front. Stopping the run is going to e the big key in this game in my opinion.

buddy33
01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Play them the same way they did the last time. Just don't have the miscommunications that lead to a couple of interceptions and be ready for the on side kick.

That game changed when they lost Boley. They where already playing with and injured Tuck and no Osi. Now they are all back and healthy.

wyogiant77
01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
I want BJ to truck Dashon Goldson

Damn, I just had the same thought. Could maybe split some atoms with that type of collision.

bLuereverie
01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
The dry erase board in the Giants locker room against the Packers said Beat the crap out of 88.

I say you they leave that sign up and change the second 8 to a 5.

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Just a perspective from a Niners fan.

Yes, you will need to play this game very physically. It's what we do, and you guys do as well.

You can look at the stats that show weakness in pass defense, and to some degree it is true. What the stats don't show is that those number come from us first completely shutting down the run, forcing teams to pass. Once they become one dimensional, watch out, we have a very good pass rush. Look at the stats in those big passing games and then look at who won the game.

I am really expecting this game to be played more old school from both sides. You guys will fight to establish the run, and that fight will be huge. We will do the same.

I have said this before, but I don't think this game comes down to Eli/Nicks, etc vs. Smith/VD etc, as much as it comes down to the O/D lines on both sides.

It will be a BATTLE. At least that is my guess.

Coach Carter
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I agree we do need to match their physical level, and it would be great if we could establish the run but I think we need to keep in mind we need to do what we do.* We are a pass first team, they are not good at defending the pass (at least aren't as good).* I think it would be foolish for us to try and be some one we're not.* We can match their physical level and intensity and still play our game.* I believe a big reason why we both advanced was our ability to punch NO & GB in the mouth.* They are finesse, offensive teams. We can play a little tougher, this will be a dog fight.

I agree, we are not a ground and pound offense but I just wish Gilbride would stop with the designed outside runs for Jacobs. Give it to him up the middle and let him cut outside if he wants to.

lawl
01-17-2012, 10:21 PM
I mean no disrespect, but in what scenario would we ever not want to play physically?

Coach Carter
01-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Yes, you will need to play this game very physically.* It's what we do, and you guys do as well.

You can look at the stats that show weakness in pass defense, and to some degree it is true.* What the stats don't show is that those number come from us first completely shutting down the run, forcing teams to pass.* Once they become one dimensional, watch out, we have a very good pass rush.* Look at the stats in those big passing games and then look at who won the game.

I am really expecting this game to be played more old school from both sides.* You guys will fight to establish the run, and that fight will be huge.* We will do the same.

I have said this before, but I don't think this game comes down to Eli/Nicks, etc vs. Smith/VD etc, as much as it comes down to the O/D lines on both sides.

It will be a BATTLE.* At least that is my guess.

Unlike the JV league that is your division, all of the teams in the NFC East are in the top 10 of total sacks, so our o-line knows how to stop a ferocious rush.

Coach Carter
01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I mean no disrespect, but in what scenario would we ever not want to play physically?

Non taken. I just don't want us to come out passing and get a WR knocked out. I really meant it for the offense. Our defense is brutish. Atlanta could not run and Green Bay could not pass.

lawl
01-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I mean no disrespect, but in what scenario would we ever not want to play physically? Non taken. I just don't want us to come out passing and get a WR knocked out. I really meant it for the offense. Our defense is brutish. Atlanta could not run and Green Bay could not pass.</P>

Gotcha.</P>

Thanks Coach</P>

TheCatchIII
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Yes, you will need to play this game very physically. It's what we do, and you guys do as well.

You can look at the stats that show weakness in pass defense, and to some degree it is true. What the stats don't show is that those number come from us first completely shutting down the run, forcing teams to pass. Once they become one dimensional, watch out, we have a very good pass rush. Look at the stats in those big passing games and then look at who won the game.

I am really expecting this game to be played more old school from both sides. You guys will fight to establish the run, and that fight will be huge. We will do the same.

It will be a BATTLE. At least that is my guess.

Unlike the JV league that is your division, all of the teams in the NFC East are in the top 10 of total sacks, so our o-line knows how to stop a ferocious rush.

LOL, I'm about to give up having any hope of one decent convo on this board. [:-*]

whakka
01-17-2012, 10:45 PM
I just wish Gilbride would stop with the designed outside runs for Jacobs. Give it to him up the middle and let him but outside if he wants to.^^that^^

Coach Carter
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Kenny Phillips has to do that to Frank Gore or that crying TE.

Spytheweb
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
49ers may think they are tough but there's only one team playing out of the NFC East. 49ers live in the NFL's weakest div.

Giants get the ball first, like last time, but they have to score a TD not a FG. SF will be kicking FGs all day. Once they fall 14 points behind, they're finished.