PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Tynes needs to step it up.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 10:46 PM
VS the Falcons, he missed an easy 32 yard FG.

VS the Packers, he had a kick blocked that appeared too low of trajectory. And he had a kickoff that went out of bounds putting the ball on the 40 yard line. I flipped when he kicked it out of bounds.

Considering that the 49ers have a much better defense than the Falcons and Packers and may be a lower scoring game, Tynes will probably get more opportunities for FGs. He can't be missing chip shot FGs, getting blocked FGs or kicking the ball out of bounds.

egyptian420
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
I hear you....we've been pretty lucky at avoiding FG situations, and haven't had one to decide a game all year, but Tynes definitely needs to step it up

I'm pretty much scared of anything over 35 with Tynes, which is embarrassing since almost every other kicker can get a 45-50 yarder with ease

NYG4ME
01-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Something tells me that when we need Tynes the most.. He'll be there for us... Got a feeling..

frantlj
01-17-2012, 10:59 PM
+1. I get nervous when Tynes kicks the point after the TD. But he does seem to come through on those pressure, long kicks. He did kick us into the Super Bowl but he doesn't make anything look easy!

nybeatmaker
01-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I completely agree. I was thinking this early in the season when he was hurt. Then when he came back, he didn't have many opportunities to kick long field goals which in my opinion was not good because I think that raises the possibility of a missed one during clutch time in a big game. Like you guys mentioned, we've been very fortunate to get the ball in easy kicking ranges for him.....Makes you wonder too, did Tom go for that Hail Mary pass last game because he was unsure of Lawrence????

GOBIGBLUE52
01-17-2012, 11:22 PM
I completely agree. I was thinking this early in the season when he was hurt. Then when he came back, he didn't have many opportunities to kick long field goals which in my opinion was not good because I think that raises the possibility of a missed one during clutch time in a big game. Like you guys mentioned, we've been very fortunate to get the ball in easy kicking ranges for him.....Makes you wonder too, did Tom go for that Hail Mary pass last game because he was unsure of Lawrence????

No, the weather in Lambeau was windy and that would've been a VERY long field goal. Long field goals in Lambeau are never easy to make.

Moreover, I even said right before to take a shot at the endzone because I thought it had a VERY good shot of working given the Packer's horrendous defense. I wasn't really surprised when that Hail Mary happened.

Now with that said, I've liked Tynes for a long time but I've been a bit more nervous with him the past couple of weeks. Yet I feel that in a big game spot he'll pull through. Those missed kicks against the cowboys and falcons were absolutely meaningless.

bflo23
01-17-2012, 11:33 PM

Tom may have lost a little confidence in Tynes or just not have enough confidence compared to the great kickers. I was surprised that the Giants opted for the Eli 37 yard hail mary rather than Tyne's 54 yard FG attempt at the end of the 1st half. Not sure about wind conditions but I was surprised at that time because you would think the kick had higher percentage chance.... Hopefully it doesn't become a competition between Akers vs Tynes that decides the winner. Akers is 7 for 9 with +50 yard FGs and Tynes is 1-3.

nybeatmaker
01-18-2012, 01:00 AM
tell me about it

stormblue
01-18-2012, 01:51 AM
+1. I get nervous when Tynes kicks the point after the TD. But he does seem to come through on those pressure, long kicks. He did kick us into the Super Bowl but he doesn't make anything look easy!

had he not missed 2 attempts in regulation the overtime kick would not have been necessary.
his chipshot choke was what sent the game into overtime to start with.

Diamondring
01-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Hell yeah he better step it up because we need him to perform well.

threenout
01-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Tynes always scares me any time he gets on the field.

nycsportzfan
01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Tynes stinks and is lucky he kicked the game winner against GB after missing a couple in that very same game.. Had he not made that game winner he'd probably of been let go becuase hes really not that good at all.. I hope we can get Connor Barth after the season as hes alot better then Lawerence Tynes..

miked1958
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
With the kind of weather they are calling for this game may have tons of FG attempts and very well may come down to a FG Try to win the game.</P>

Bad turf and footing scares me with Tynes on FGs and KOs</P>

rwmcquarters
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Tynes may have more blocked field goals this season than any other kicker in recent memory. Still get nervous whenever he has to put anything through the uprights

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
The thought of a game that becomes Akers v. Tynes fills me with dread.

NYGJayPro81
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I made two previous threads on this subject, so needless to say I agree with the OP...i just hope we don't end up in a situation where we need him to come through.

And in one of the threads I made someone said Tynes hasn't caused us to lose a game all season...that's because he hasn't been given the opportunity to. Lets keep it that way.