PDA

View Full Version : How did the jets let weatherford go

pica01
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
i'm new here and i'm gonna ask about some things i discuss with my buds.punters are so underappreciated.Feagles was as good a directional punter as i ever saw.Even that killer Westbrook return a few yrs ago came from the sideline.We saw last yr with Dodge how bad things can be.Weatherford has been sensational.I really can think of only 1 shank the whole yr.many 50+ yarders from deep territory and very few touchbacks.what were the jets thinking?Also,I don't trust Tynes as far as i could throw him.Give me Matt Bahr in a big spot any day.Jan 91,giants 15 49ers 13 bahr from 47 to win it.tynes in GB 07,2 shanks and great kick.Admit it,every time he kicks outside 30 yards you never take it for granted.he does,however,hold the record for consecutive PATs made.last,have you noticed how much better the kickoff coverage has been since Blackburn returned?

ebick
01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
they're the jets</P>

Gmen2005
01-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I honestly have no idea. Feels like we have Feagles back there the way he has been punting as of late.

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Same way they took Mason and Plax.... what idiots

bflo23
01-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Steve Weatherford has been great and has a lot of pop in that leg. I ordered Mens Fitness magazine and they had Weatherford in an issue. He is completely shredded, has like 4% body fat and is built like a strong safety. He looks nothing like a punter/kicker. He trains very hard in the gym and in practice and it shows with his success this year.

http://www.zinio.com/articles/Mens-Fitness/Dec-11/STEVE-WEATHERFORD/2631014

jjj45
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
they're the jets</p>I like this reason.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Because they are the Jets.... Question answer's itself

jjj45
01-18-2012, 12:06 AM
i'm new here and i'm gonna ask about some things i discuss with my buds.punters are so underappreciated.Feagles was as good a directional punter as i ever saw.Even that killer Westbrook return a few yrs ago came from the sideline.We saw last yr with Dodge how bad things can be.Weatherford has been sensational.I really can think of only 1 shank the whole yr.many 50+ yarders from deep territory and very few touchbacks.what were the jets thinking?Also,I don't trust Tynes as far as i could throw him.Give me Matt Bahr in a big spot any day.Jan 91,giants 15 49ers 13 bahr from 47 to win it.tynes in GB 07,2 shanks and great kick.Admit it,every time he kicks outside 30 yards you never take it for granted.he does,however,hold the record for consecutive PATs made.last,have you noticed how much better the kickoff coverage has been since Blackburn returned?Weatherford is going to be huge. This game is gonna be all about field position. He is gonna have to pin the niners deep in their own territory.

We are gonna need him big in this game.

I'm really worried that we are gonna have trouble moving the ball.

Eli TO Shockey
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM
he is solid. Not as good a directional punter as feagles. (feagles was the best) but has a stronger leg than feagles. it balances itself out.

hope hes a giant for a long time

BK07071
01-18-2012, 12:40 AM
nd they have Rex Ryan as a head coach........enough said!!!

jomo
01-18-2012, 12:44 AM
they're the jets </P>I like this reason.
lol that's the truth and after they got rid of him their coach Westhoff in typical Jets fashion had to ridicule him. They are an arogant franchise to the core and not too bright at that. Thanks for the gift! Go Blue!!

Pakman
01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
i'm new here and i'm gonna ask about some things i discuss with my buds.punters are so underappreciated.Feagles was as good a directional punter as i ever saw.Even that killer Westbrook return a few yrs ago came from the sideline.We saw last yr with Dodge how bad things can be.Weatherford has been sensational.I really can think of only 1 shank the whole yr.many 50+ yarders from deep territory and very few touchbacks.what were the jets thinking?Also,I don't trust Tynes as far as i could throw him.Give me Matt Bahr in a big spot any day.Jan 91,giants 15 49ers 13 bahr from 47 to win it.tynes in GB 07,2 shanks and great kick.Admit it,every time he kicks outside 30 yards you never take it for granted.he does,however,hold the record for consecutive PATs made.last,have you noticed how much better the kickoff coverage has been since Blackburn returned?Weatherford is going to be huge. This game is gonna be all about field position. He is gonna have to pin the niners deep in their own territory.

Do you write that every time you post? "worried about moving the ball"

Just Write it into your sig man.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 12:49 AM

Just Write it into your sig man.I made a thread about it and I wrote it <u>once</u> here. Thats not "writing it every time I post"

Its a valid concern. Our run game sucks. We did squat against Green Bay. So what makes you think we'll be able to do it against SF??

stormblue
01-18-2012, 12:50 AM
because he isn't top 10 in anything.....
very pedestrian stats to be honest.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/puntYards/seasontype/2

pica01
01-18-2012, 01:02 AM
see,thats your problem.Stats don't tell the story.The giants play field position football and move the ball.Bad offenses go 3 and out alot and the punter gets to air it out.Weatherford punts alot in pin them inside the 20 spots and does it well.When he needs to i've seen him some boomers and almost everything is to the sidelines,never down the middle.Don't post weak crap responses to my posts.

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
they're the jets</P>

this

Pakman
01-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Just Write it into your sig man.I made a thread about it and I wrote it <u>once</u> here. Thats not "writing it every time I post"

Its a valid concern. Our run game sucks. We did squat against Green Bay. So what makes you think we'll be able to do it against SF??

Point is legit..I hate seeing it though.

I'm not "worried" though. We will figure something out

stormblue
01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
see,thats your problem.Stats don't tell the story.The giants play field position football and move the ball.Bad offenses go 3 and out alot and the punter gets to air it out.Weatherford punts alot in pin them inside the 20 spots and does it well.When he needs to i've seen him some boomers and almost everything is to the sidelines,never down the middle.Don't post weak crap responses to my posts.

no .....it's your problem for ignoring stats that matter.
pinning the other team inside their own 20 is one of those stats .......he is 13th.
booming kicks ? his longest is 62 yds ...27th.
his average is 45.7.......14th.

i'm just responding to the OP.
the jets let him go because he's nothing special.

and we are not a posession/field position type ball club. we would like to be ....but we are not. no running game and our defense lets the opposition roam from coast to coast until they score or we get a turnover.

pica01
01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I also have a feeling that Weatherford might run on a fake sunday.I know it's very unusual for the giants but Weatherford grew up playing australian rules football and isn't a *****.Coughlin never uses trickery but i could see him trying something unusual this week.Remember north dallas 40 people.It's all about tendencies.Ah hell,Harbaugh's too smart not to think what I'm thinkin.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM

I'm not "worried" though. We will figure something outYeah, I hope we "figure something out" lmao...sorry I couldn't resist.

I didnt mean to sound like a total nancy. Just trying to be objective in my reasoning. This is the only concern I have by the way.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM
double post

Pakman
01-18-2012, 01:27 AM

I'm not "worried" though. We will figure something outYeah, I hope we "figure something out" lmao...sorry I couldn't resist.

I didnt mean to sound like a total nancy. Just trying to be objective in my reasoning. This is the only concern I have by the way.

Trust me I got you bro lol

I hate games like this because you just don't know what's going to happen. We could go in and blow them out or we could lose like 3-0 lol

I just can't wait till Sunday

Jet-Blue
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
they're the jets</P>

Yup and the same way they let Danny Woodhead go to the Pats, piss poor insight!!!

Jet-Blue
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I also have a feeling that Weatherford might run on a fake sunday.I know it's very unusual for the giants but Weatherford grew up playing australian rules football and isn't a *****.Coughlin never uses trickery but i could see him trying something unusual this week.Remember north dallas 40 people.It's all about tendencies.Ah hell,Harbaugh's too smart not to think what I'm thinkin.

He did it on the JETS in 2010. Made the First Down!

BParcells777
01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
We got in a verbal altercation with that ST coach they have who has cancer

The Jets let so many good players go the last few years it boggles the mind

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I honestly have no idea. Feels like we have Feagles back there the way he has been punting as of late.
only knock on him was hid lack of directional kicking. He has always had a booming kick. But as of late he has improved his directional kicking. You saw that especially vs GB. Nice to have a solid ST with kicking, punting, and coverage. But we need better returns.

Spedracer
01-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Woah, woah, woah...Feagles he is not. But he is good.

Feagles was a monster. Easily one of the top 10 punters to ever play.

miked1958
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
i'm new here and i'm gonna ask about some things i discuss with my buds.punters are so underappreciated.Feagles was as good a directional punter as i ever saw.Even that killer Westbrook return a few yrs ago came from the sideline.We saw last yr with Dodge how bad things can be.Weatherford has been sensational.I really can think of only 1 shank the whole yr.many 50+ yarders from deep territory and very few touchbacks.what were the jets thinking?Also,I don't trust Tynes as far as i could throw him.Give me Matt Bahr in a big spot any day.Jan 91,giants 15 49ers 13 bahr from 47 to win it.tynes in GB 07,2 shanks and great kick.Admit it,every time he kicks outside 30 yards you never take it for granted.he does,however,hold the record for consecutive PATs made.last,have you noticed how much better the kickoff coverage has been since Blackburn returned?</P>

I dont know but i am glad they did. W/O Weatherford we prob are not in the position we are in. He has pinned the the other team down deep time and time again and has allowed us to Switch FP due to his Punts. He has allowed us to get 2pt Safeys. He has punted us out of danger when we were pinned deep in our own end.</P>

I think with Dodge we would have been in trouble</P>

JMGGIANTS
01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
he is solid. Not as good a directional punter as feagles. (feagles was the best) but has a stronger leg than feagles. it balances itself out. hope hes a giant for a long time</P>

I totally disagree with you saying he is not a good directional punter. He is an awesome directional punter.</P>

giantman8493
01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Good one

giantman8493
01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
i'm new here and i'm gonna ask about some things i discuss with my buds.punters are so underappreciated.Feagles was as good a directional punter as i ever saw.Even that killer Westbrook return a few yrs ago came from the sideline.We saw last yr with Dodge how bad things can be.Weatherford has been sensational.I really can think of only 1 shank the whole yr.many 50+ yarders from deep territory and very few touchbacks.what were the jets thinking?Also,I don't trust Tynes as far as i could throw him.Give me Matt Bahr in a big spot any day.Jan 91,giants 15 49ers 13 bahr from 47 to win it.tynes in GB 07,2 shanks and great kick.Admit it,every time he kicks outside 30 yards you never take it for granted.he does,however,hold the record for consecutive PATs made.last,have you noticed how much better the kickoff coverage has been since Blackburn returned?</P>

I dont know but i am glad they did. W/O Weatherford we prob are not in the position we are in. He has pinned the the other team down deep time and time again and has allowed us to Switch FP due to his Punts. He has allowed us to get 2pt Safeys. He has punted us out of danger when we were pinned deep in our own end.</P>

I think with Dodge we would have been in trouble</P> I think with Dodge we would be better.

r1000
01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
We got in a verbal altercation with that ST coach they have who has cancer

The Jets let so many good players go the last few years it boggles the mind

well i have to personally thank them for D Ward

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
pinning the other team inside their own 20 is one of those stats .......he is 13th.

and we are not a posession/field position type ball club. we would like to be ....but we are not. no running game and our defense lets the opposition roam from coast to coast until they score or we get a turnover.

You aren't looking at the stats correctly. He is tied for 13th (tied with Klue 45.7) out of 32 punters (top 40%). That is above average. Longest punt is kind of fluky as a good bounce can get plenty of yards. I don't think many people are complaining about 62 yards though..... 13th with punts inside the 20 yard line but more importantly 30% of his punts are inside the 20 yard line which is very high..... 6th! out of 32 with punts inside the 10 yard line which is showing great directional punting...... And he only has 6 touchbacks. Did I mention that he plays in a windtunnel stadium and not in some dome with the perfect weather conditions?

Zoboomafoo
01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
The story, as I understand is, is that Westhoff laid into Weatherford after an unauthorized sneak punt against the Packers that was inches short after a McCarthy challenge. There was bad blood between them after that. Weatherford was eventually offered a contract by the Jets, but he decided to pack his bags and sign with the Giants.

Note that Weatherford had tied a record for most punts inside the 20 in his last season with the Jets.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
</P>

+1,000 -- totally.</P>

stormblue
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM

You aren't looking at the stats correctly. He is tied for 13th (tied with Klue 45.7) out of 32 punters (top 40%). That is above average. Longest punt is kind of fluky as a good bounce can get plenty of yards. I don't think many people are complaining about 62 yards though..... 13th with punts inside the 20 yard line but more importantly 30% of his punts are inside the 20 yard line which is very high..... 6th! out of 32 with punts inside the 10 yard line which is showing great directional punting...... And he only has 6 touchbacks. Did I mention that he plays in a windtunnel stadium and not in some dome with the perfect weather conditions?

well make up your freakin' mind.
do you want to use stats or not ?
you can interpret stats anyway you
you want to.
but none of them put him in the top 5 all
around punters....after that they are all pretty even.
and i never said he sucks.....i just said
he ain't nothin' special , and thats why the
jets could let him go.

and i can't believe i stuck my nose in a kicker conversation.....life is too short.

cheers

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
They needed to spend Weatherford's money on such awesome team players like Holmes and Mason.</P>

I believe that Weatherford said that he wanted out of there anyway.</P>

bflo23
01-18-2012, 02:57 PM
you can interpret stats say anyway you
you want to.
jets could let him go.

and i can't believe i stuck my nose in a kicker conversation.....life is too short.

cheers

You are confused because I never said to ignore the stats. I wasn't aware that you believed Weatherford had to be a "top 5" punter out of 32 to be considered good. Do you realize that he doesn't have to be a top 5 punter to be a good punter?

You are the one that put up stats but when others put up the stats that shows he is good like his percentage of punts inside the 20, 11 punts inside the 10 yard line, etc, you become all defensive and then it is you who are ignoring the stats..... "very pedestrian stats" as you called him having. But you also believe that one single longest punt matters more than 11 punts inside the 10 yard line.

OX1
01-18-2012, 03:00 PM
I think with Dodge we would be better.</P>

Dodge was horrible, brought in by the jets for a workout andnot picked up. </P>

So he is worse than the guy that is worse than than WF. </P>

</P>

</P>

stormblue
01-18-2012, 03:59 PM
you can interpret stats say anyway you
you want to.
jets could let him go.

cheers

You are confused because I never said to ignore the stats. I wasn't aware that you believed Weatherford had to be a "top 5" punter out of 32 to be considered good. Do you realize that he doesn't have to be a top 5 punter to be a good punter?

You are the one that put up stats but when others put up the stats that shows he is good like his percentage of punts inside the 20, 11 punts inside the 10 yard line, etc, you become all defensive and then it is you who are ignoring the stats..... "very pedestrian stats" as you called him having. But you also believe that one single longest punt matters more than 11 punts inside the 10 yard line.

@ bflo23

sorry , i think you got stuck in the middle of me and the OP.

my response to the original question was;

"because he isn't top 10 in anything.....
very pedestrian stats to be honest. "

then the OP very impolitely sniped back with ;
'see,thats your problem.Stats don't tell the story.The giants play field position football and move the ball.Bad offenses go 3 and out alot and the punter gets to air it out.Weatherford punts alot in pin them inside the 20 spots and does it well.When he needs to i've seen him some boomers and almost everything is to the sidelines,never down the middle.Don't post weak crap responses to my posts."

which i thought was fairly rude considering
the peaceful nature of my post.

but you jumped in there somewhere in between and i just didn't notice i was talking to someone else.

my bad .....and my apologies.