PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the 49er's game.

Salsa80
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
1. Make the most out of every possession. Against GB, we got the ball first, took it down the field, and scored. I know it was only a FG but it set the tone. We also constantly converted on 3rd dows.

2. Defensively, set the tone early. The first time the defense is on the field, do something to set the tone. i.e.(sack, big hit, TFL) anything tone setting to let the Niners know we're her to play.

3. Take advantage of our receivers. As we've seen lately, teams have been spying on Cruz, leaving Nicks open, and he has really showed what he can do.

4. Pressure Alex Smith. Establish the pass rush and don't shy away from it Let him know, right out the gate, he's playing against a different defensive team than he played in week 10.

5. Establish the run. I know people are going to say " the run hasn't been working lately so why try to establish it". I know Eli is great on 3rd downs, but if we can get good running gains on first down( 4 yards and up) wouldn't that open up our 3rd play calling. If we can establish the run, the play action becomes way more effective.

***Key matchup to watch***
Boley vs. Davis. As we've seen, a healthy Boley, is a first tier linebacker. In the last 4 games, he has helped shut down Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, and Finley. If he can shut down Davis, Smith can be taken out of rhythm.

Feel free to discuss.

SackingMyths
01-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Boley going down in that game directly led to 14pts. Otherwise, I loved our chances up to that point.

And you're right, he's one of the few that can adequately matchup with elite TEs 1-on1. Never would've beaten Brady, with Gronk and Hernandez without him.

I heard Collinsworth on the radio say that John Lynch told him that the only way to stop guys like Gronk, Graham etc is with an an athletic tight end like them. Wonder if we'll ever see that.

UNLESS you are one of the few who already have a LBer who can cover these guys. Boley is shaping up to be worth every penny now that elite, freakish tightends are becoming more and more frequent.

Poor Greg Jones got picked on and reacted poorly the first time around. Not this time, my friends.

whakka
01-18-2012, 12:44 AM
one big key to the game. do not run jacobs to the outside. if he thinks he needs to bounce out, thats fine but he should always start between the tackles. these linebackers can get side to side really good too. and gilbride isnt fooling anyone with that mess.

pica01
01-18-2012, 12:53 AM
there is one key to this game.Turnovers.The niner defense is very good but it lives on turnovers,much like the packers.Both plus 28.If the Giants take care of the ball i'll take my chances.If i told you neither turned it over sunday or once each,who do think might win?All things equal,especially turnovers,I think the Giants are the better team.

Salsa80
01-18-2012, 12:53 AM
one big key to the game. do not run jacobs to the outside. if he thinks he needs to bounce out, thats fine but he should always start between the tackles. these linebackers can get side to side really good too. and gilbride isnt fooling anyone with that mess.

Agreed man, and on a side not, how do you get pictures in your sig?

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 01:51 AM

</P>

Agreed.....Jacobs needs to get North/South immediately.</P>

I also think it's very import to get Jacobs involved early.....the 49ers are going to want to set a physical tone early.....the Giants need to get the Big Diesel moving as early as possible.</P>

RiceFan49
01-18-2012, 04:43 AM
OP makes valid points. Let me add another point:

6. Ball security and protecting the football.

You will be going against the defense which boasts the most takeaways in the league and the best turnover differential.

87Spider91
01-18-2012, 04:49 AM
OP makes valid points. Let me add another point:

6. Ball security and protecting the football.

You will be going against the defense which boasts the most takeaways in the league and the best turnover differential.

You mean like the Packers?

wuzpapn
01-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Eli needs to be aware of where Carlos Rogers is at all times. That dude is one mean CB, and I'd probably put him in the top 10. I know Eli loves to air it out to Cruz and Nicks, but he's going to need to watch where #22 is on defense, because he's just as much of a ball hawk as our receivers are.

calzonesays
01-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Reminds me of the San Francisco episode of South Park where they were so smug.

giantsfan420
01-18-2012, 05:08 AM
Eli needs to be aware of where Carlos Rogers is at all times. That dude is one mean CB, and I'd probably put him in the top 10. I know Eli loves to air it out to Cruz and Nicks, but he's going to need to watch where #22 is on defense, because he's just as much of a ball hawk as our receivers are.

eli owns rogers going back to when he was a redskin. no one on the 9er secondary scares me except maybe goodson. eli will kill it thru the air, he'll be just a lil more careful then he was week 10. one of the huge things to favor us is we have a quick strike big play offense. we can score on literally any play any where. the 9ers have to have a near perfect 12 play drive bc they dink and dunk and run the ball a lot.

this game isnt even going to be all that close. gmen take it by a few scores.

buddy33
01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the 1st time they played Cruz dropped a pass and then they went right back to the same play and it was intercepted. Then there was some miscommunication on the other interception. Cut those out and they should be fine.

Also, they like to use trick plays. They did an on side kick that game and recovered it.

The Giants are a much healthier team this time around.

Snappinnecks
01-18-2012, 08:27 AM
The team that has the least mistakes and turnovers will win this game.

bandwgn86
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
4. Pressure Alex Smith. Establish the pass rush and don't shy away from it Let him know, right out the gate, he's playing against a different defensive team .
This right here..

Eli and gang should be able to move the ball enough to win.. Alex needs to be harassed from the get go..
I don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure, not just from our pass rush but the magnitude of this game..

GameTime
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
The absolute BIGGEST key to this game is not all the tangibles. Like scoring, tackling, ball protection, etc. The Giants will do all that IMO.</P>

The intangibles like heart, will, attitude, perserverance, etc. The Giants have to have the right mind and theright focus. They cant listen to the radio and hearhow good they have been. They have to play the Niners like the 14-3 team that they are and the 11-7 team the Giants are. They cant underestimate anyone or anything regarding that team. They have to be ready for the trick plays too. </P>

To me its the mindset of the Giants that matters most. Its early in the week and I am anxious about the game so that plays into my pessimism at this time but I just hope they are not too happy with themselves. </P>

NJ10
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
The four biggest things I think are :

1. Ball Security- SF is a very opportunistic defense, there dbacks are ball haws and everybody is trying to strip the ball. We cant allow them to win the turnover battle.

2. Protecting Eli- The Oline needs to have a really good game, SF's front 7 do a good job getting to the QB. We have not really been great against teams that have a great pass rush.

3. Contain Vernon Davis- He was the difference in the win they had against the Saints. We did a good job on Finley last week, so we are more than capable of containing Davis

4. Get Pressure on Smith- Hit him, Knock him down, force him into making mistakes. We have the pass rushers to do it, we just cant let him escape the pocket and run when everything is covered like Rodgers did against us last week.

RonJon
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
If the Giants win the coin toss, are they better off recieving or deferring? I'd rather they defer so the defense can try and set an early tone. 49ers , all year have deferred when winning the coin toss

Kruunch
01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
1. Make the most out of every possession. Against GB, we got the ball first, took it down the field, and scored. I know it was only a FG but it set the tone. We also constantly converted on 3rd dows.

2. Defensively, set the tone early. The first time the defense is on the field, do something to set the tone. i.e.(sack, big hit, TFL) anything tone setting to let the Niners know we're her to play.

3. Take advantage of our receivers. As we've seen lately, teams have been spying on Cruz, leaving Nicks open, and he has really showed what he can do.

4. Pressure Alex Smith. Establish the pass rush and don't shy away from it Let him know, right out the gate, he's playing against a different defensive team than he played in week 10.

5. Establish the run. I know people are going to say " the run hasn't been working lately so why try to establish it". I know Eli is great on 3rd downs, but if we can get good running gains on first down( 4 yards and up) wouldn't that open up our 3rd play calling. If we can establish the run, the play action becomes way more effective.

***Key matchup to watch***
Boley vs. Davis. As we've seen, a healthy Boley, is a first tier linebacker. In the last 4 games, he has helped shut down Witten, Gonzalez, Keller, and Finley. If he can shut down Davis, Smith can be taken out of rhythm.

Feel free to discuss.

1) Stop their run,

2) Double Davis all day long.

3) Do our normal shtick on offense.

4) Profit