PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith = Most sacked QB in the NFL

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:17 AM
For a QB who really don't have many pass attempts, this is quite surprising and shows a pretty big weakness in their offensive line. Very nice. Good news for the Osi, Tuck and JPP. Unleash! The front 4 should put plenty of pressure on Smith and we shouldn't have to blitz. And when the Giants do blitz, Smith should get crushed and will be hurting.

None of the 49er fans make any mentioned this.

meanseen
01-18-2012, 01:19 AM
do you have a source because this is news to me

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I'd like a source too, I thought their O-line was pretty good? I guess maybe for the run game.

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Check out the stats on yahoo.

Alex Smith has been sacked 44 times. Tarvaris Jackson is 2nd. Gabbert is 3rd.

Alex Smith (most sacked QB) + Giants (best pressuring line) = disaster for 49ers?!

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Passing&conference=NFL&year=season_ 2011&sort=8&timeframe=ToDate

Look at the sacks.

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/seasontype/2</P>

</P>

</P>

whakka
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
alex smith sacked 44 times?

here (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&amp;d-447263-n=1&amp;d-447263-o=2&amp;d-447263-p=1&amp;d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKED&amp;tabSeq=0&amp;season=2011&amp;experience=n ull&amp;Submit=Go&amp;archive=false&amp;conference=null&amp;statis ticCategory=PASSING&amp;qualified=true)

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh wow, Osi you know the D

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Get a load of Easy's QB Rating this postseason....</P>

</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating</P>

meanseen
01-18-2012, 01:25 AM
wow i had no idea this was the case. why has nobody mentioned this stat before? this is big

jomo
01-18-2012, 01:28 AM

</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating</P>Gentlemen (of our DL) start your engines!!

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:29 AM
And Alex only threw for 445 times and had 44 sacks.

Eli threw for 589 times and had only 28 sacks. With the far less pass attempts, it just shows how bad that offensive line is for Alex. And I am sure Alex slipped out of plenty of tackles with his good speed.

Very nice.

GfieldGmen
01-18-2012, 01:31 AM
He also got sacked 4 times in that Saints game. He probably takes more sacks then risk throwing a pick to though. Which is why he only has 5 picks on the yr.

If we play the type of coverage we did vs Green Bay then the D-Line should be able to get there sacks in.

Martyr
01-18-2012, 01:32 AM
I dont remember any pressure during the game this year. I think Osi was out and Tuck hurt? but I cant remember

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Let Alex Smith hit the floor! Let Alex Smith hit the floorrrrrrr!... Somethings got to give!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88yirhXOBk&amp;list=FLFT1QthnbullZB6xuFwEuKg&amp; index=1&amp;feature=plpp_video">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88yirhXOBk&amp;list=FLFT1QthnbullZB6xuFwEuKg&amp; index=1&amp;feature=plpp_video
</a>

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 01:35 AM
For a QB who really don't have many pass attempts, this is quite surprising and shows a pretty big weakness in their offensive line. Very nice. Good news for the Osi, Tuck and JPP. Unleash! The front 4 should put plenty of pressure on Smith and we shouldn't have to blitz. And when the Giants do blitz, Smith should get crushed and will be hurting.

None of the 49er fans make any mentioned this.

Oh he definitely takes is fair share of sacks...
When he does, they are usually for a big loss since he is constantly dropping back 7-10 steps per attempt.

But, it's preventing big turnovers.

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I dont remember any pressure during the game this year. I think Osi was out and Tuck hurt? but I cant remember</P>

I'm a little foggy too, but I'm pretty sure Tuck and Osi were banged up that week.</P>

MTG21
01-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Let's hope the sack number on him gets a big boost on Sunday!

ajd121
01-18-2012, 01:41 AM
If the Giants can get ahead in this game and force the 49ers to throw, I don't think they have a chance.

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 01:44 AM
If the Giants can get ahead in this game and force the 49ers to throw, I don't think they have a chance.

Smith threw more than the Niners rushed vs the Saints.

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Last time we didnt get enough pressure on Smith. We had one or two sacks at most but for most of the game, he had a clean pocket.

I'd attribute that to his OL protecting him well, a very banged up Tuck who, frankly, was a shell of himself at that particular time, and no Osi, allowing JPP to be relentlessly double-teamed.

This should change this weekend.

TheCatchIII
01-18-2012, 02:18 AM
I don't think this is new news to most Niner fans.

Watching our O line this year has been a bit of jekyll and hyde.

The O Line doesn't get over powered, but they have been out schemed in some games.

If you look at the sack numbers, they come in big junks, also I might add with a lot coming early in the season.

But even later in the season Zona and Balt made work of us for a couple weeks there.

It will be a test for sure this weekend. I hope our good line shows up. They have talent and strength, just get burned in some games.

Giants got 2 sacks against us in week 10. Just FYI....

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 02:24 AM

Eli threw for 589 times and had only 28 sacks. With the far less pass attempts, it just shows how bad that offensive line is for Alex. And I am sure Alex slipped out of plenty of tackles with his good speed.

Very nice.

Smith is instructed to take the sack instead of forcing a ball into coverage for a pick...He doesn't turn over the ball...Manning on the other hand has been known to be reckless under pressure and coughs up interceptions.

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:24 AM

The O Line doesn't get over powered, but they have been out schemed in some games.

If you look at the sack numbers, they come in big junks, also I might add with a lot coming early in the season.

But even later in the season Zona and Balt made work of us for a couple weeks there.

It will be a test for sure this weekend.* I hope our good line shows up.* They have talent and strength, just get burned in some games.

Giants got 2 sacks against us in week 10.* Just FYI....

Jekyll and Hyde huh? Same could be said of our line, although they've been quite consistent the past several weeks.

I really wanna see how our finally healthy line with its full complement of pass rushers will do against your OL.

BTW, just curious...who is your replacement for David Baas, former Niner, now Giants center?

I ask, because Baas doesn't seem to be the upgrade we thought he'd be and leaves a lot to be desired as a run blocker (though he's a solid pass blocker)

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:26 AM

Very nice.

Smith is instructed to take the sack instead of forcing a ball into coverage for a pick...He doesn't turn over the ball...Manning on the other hand has been known to be reckless under pressure and coughs up interceptions.

Still watching the Eli of old huh?

Eli has improved dramatically in this aspect of his decision-making, taking far more sacks this year, and throwing far less risky passes.

TheCatchIII
01-18-2012, 02:36 AM

It will be a test for sure this weekend. I hope our good line shows up. They have talent and strength, just get burned in some games.

Jekyll and Hyde huh? Same could be said of our line, although they've been quite consistent the past several weeks.

I really wanna see how our finally healthy line with its full complement of pass rushers will do against your OL.

BTW, just curious...who is your replacement for David Baas, former Niner, now Giants center?

I ask, because Baas doesn't seem to be the upgrade we thought he'd be and leaves a lot to be desired as a run blocker (though he's a solid pass blocker)

Haha, yeah, I doubt you will see many Niner fans shed a tear at the loss of Baas. Goodwin has been starting Center with Snyder getting some work as well.

For me our O-Line has also improved much this year. Davis is finally living up to his first round draft pick and after getting pissed at him repeatedly early in the season Staley has been playing great. Iupati has had a good year from start to finish IMO.

Good group playing their best at the right time.

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Osi, if this is your farewell tour, make it one for the ages.

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 02:39 AM

Very nice.

Eli has improved dramatically in this aspect of his decision-making, taking far more sacks this year, and throwing far less risky passes.

Just looked up Eli's 2011 stats,

29 TD's 16 ints 6 fumbles....Not great by any means. 92 QB rating

Alex Smith:
17 TD's 5ints 90 QB rating

Verdict is Smiths TD to int ratio is much better but he gets the ball in the end zone far less due to a really good running game and a less productive passing game. I know Eli is the better two of the QB's but when you have a really good defence and running game you don't have to be spectacular to win games.

scf424
01-18-2012, 02:46 AM

Very nice.

Just looked up Eli's 2011 stats,

29 TD's 16 ints 6 fumbles....Not great by any means. 92 QB rating

Alex Smith:
17 TD's 5ints 90 QB rating

Verdict is Smiths TD to int ratio is much better but he gets the ball in the end zone far less due to a really good running game and a less productive passing game. I know Eli is the better two of the QB's but when you have a really good defence and running game you don't have to be spectacular to win games.

Is it a SF thing to take thinly veiled cheap shots masked as comparisons?

My ******bag brother is less of a passive aggressive....******bag

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:47 AM

It will be a test for sure this weekend.* I hope our good line shows up.* They have talent and strength, just get burned in some games.

Haha, yeah, I doubt you will see many Niner fans shed a tear at the loss of Baas.* Goodwin has been starting Center with Snyder getting some work as well.

For me our O-Line has also improved much this year.* Davis is finally living up to his first round draft pick and after getting pissed at him repeatedly early in the season Staley has been playing great.* Iupati has had a good year from start to finish IMO.

Ah, Iupati.....

There's one guy I was hoping we'd draft before I realized we hit gold w/ JPP...

Nothing against Iupati, we could've used a stud guard but man, I couldn't be happier NOT being a GM...lol

Anyway, yea Baas is alright...nothing special but most of us def thought we'd be getting more from him...especially in the run blocking department.

But yea, our OL is playing really good right now too...giving Eli lots of time to deliver to his targets...

Sigh...can't wait for Sunday...

loaded30
01-18-2012, 02:51 AM
He also got sacked 4 times in that Saints game. He probably takes more sacks then risk throwing a pick to though. Which is why he only has 5 picks on the yr. If we play the type of coverage we did vs Green Bay then the D-Line should be able to get there sacks in.Im sure SF is going to test our rush defense due to this stat. Dont get fooled by these stats, its all game plan. If their running game starts strong, that stat will be meaningless.

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 02:53 AM

Very nice.
Smith is instructed to take the sack instead of forcing a ball into coverage for a pick...He doesn't turn over the ball...Manning on the other hand has been known to be reckless under pressure and coughs up interceptions. Still watching the Eli of old huh? Eli has improved dramatically in this aspect of his decision-making, taking far more sacks this year, and throwing far less risky passes. Just looked up Eli's 2011 stats, 29 TD's 16 ints 6 fumbles....Not great by any means. 92 QB rating Alex Smith: 17 TD's 5ints 90 QB rating Verdict is Smiths TD to int ratio is much better but he gets the ball in the end zone far less due to a really good running game and a less productive passing game. I know Eli is the better two of the QB's but when you have a really good defence and running game you don't have to be spectacular to win games.</P>

Manning: 4900+ Yards</P>

Smith: 3100+ Yards</P>

esbias
01-18-2012, 02:56 AM
There is a reason he is the most sacked. He would rather take a sack than make a dumb throw that turns into a pick. Hence why he has 5 INT all year.

Diamondring
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
I think that was in the pass and he is a different qb now.

TheCatchIII
01-18-2012, 03:06 AM

Haha, yeah, I doubt you will see many Niner fans shed a tear at the loss of Baas. Goodwin has been starting Center with Snyder getting some work as well.

For me our O-Line has also improved much this year. Davis is finally living up to his first round draft pick and after getting pissed at him repeatedly early in the season Staley has been playing great. Iupati has had a good year from start to finish IMO.

Ah, Iupati.....

Nothing against Iupati, we could've used a stud guard but man, I couldn't be happier NOT being a GM...lol

Anyway, yea Baas is alright...nothing special but most of us def thought we'd be getting more from him...especially in the run blocking department.

But yea, our OL is playing really good right now too...giving Eli lots of time to deliver to his targets...

That is the way it works out sometimes.

Going into this last draft I knew pass rush was a big need. When we drafted Aldon I (frankly) was like who? But I was glad they went after the need.

A season later he has been a STUD.

Those draft pics are gambles. Fun when they work out.

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 03:16 AM

Haha, yeah, I doubt you will see many Niner fans shed a tear at the loss of Baas.* Goodwin has been starting Center with Snyder getting some work as well.

For me our O-Line has also improved much this year.* Davis is finally living up to his first round draft pick and after getting pissed at him repeatedly early in the season Staley has been playing great.* Iupati has had a good year from start to finish IMO.

Ah, Iupati.....

That is the way it works out sometimes.

Going into this last draft I knew pass rush was a big need.* When we drafted Aldon I (frankly) was like who?* But I was glad they went after the need.

A season later he has been a STUD.

Those draft pics are gambles.* Fun when they work out.

no doubt...

bflo23
01-18-2012, 01:03 PM
There is a reason he is the most sacked. He would rather take a sack than make a dumb throw that turns into a pick. Hence why he has 5 INT all year.

So instead of throwing it away, he prefers to take a 10 yard loss sack? Smith never heard of throwing it away? The great QBs throw it away rather than hurt their team with a 10 yard loss sack. I don't think there are many 49er fans saying "Great job by Alex in taking that 10 yard loss sack rather than simply throwing it away."

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 01:09 PM

So instead of throwing it away, he prefers to take a 10 yard loss sack? Smith never heard of throwing it away? The great QBs throw it away rather than hurt their team with a 10 yard loss sack. I don't think there are many 49er fans saying "Great job by Alex in taking that 10 yard loss sack rather than simply throwing it away."

So basically his QB rating would be 80 instead of 90 if he knew how to throw it away.

NYGinIN
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Why ask for a source when you have a google search bar mere inches above what you just read???????????????????

NYG4ME
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Why ask for a source when you have a google search bar mere inches above what you just read???????????????????

+1

lawl
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

+1
</P>

Because the OP made the thread, not us. It's a forum rule to provide a link with any claim made.</P>

Otherwise, thousands of random BS threads would be made and everyone would be saying, "oh well, shouldve googled it yourself"</P>

TuckYou
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
And we were the worst running team in the NFL... DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. Doesnt mean much. 49ers and the Giants are both playing better then they did during the regular season.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM

+1
</P>

Because the OP made the thread, not us. It's a forum rule to provide a link with any claim made.</P>

Otherwise, thousands of random BS threads would be made and everyone would be saying, "oh well, shouldve googled it yourself"</P>

WTF are you talking about? So every time someone refers to a stat they need to link to a stat page? That's absurd.

CGYgiant
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM

+1
</p>

Because the OP made the thread, not us. It's a forum rule to provide a link with any claim made.</p>

Otherwise, thousands of random BS threads would be made and everyone would be saying, "oh well, shouldve googled it yourself"</p>

WTF are you talking about? So every time someone refers to a stat they need to link to a stat page? That's absurd.

How is that NOT absurd? well that is if you dont mind reading bs statements all the time (not saying this topic is bs but I think you know what I mean.)

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM

</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating</P>

</P>

And Brees with over 900 yards in two postseason games. Friggin' Madden football. No hatred towards Brees, but I'm sick of that crap. Kudos to SF for taking out a Madden-esque team -- just like we did with GB.</P>

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
There is a reason he is the most sacked. He would rather take a sack than make a dumb throw that turns into a pick. Hence why he has 5 INT all year.</P>

Same philosophy with Rodgers. 45 TDs and 6 INTs. Can't say it doesn't work.</P>

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM

</P>

Gentlemen (of our DL) start your engines!!</P>

That stat makes me feel better too, but the mud could slow down getting to the QB.</P>

yatitle
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Very nice.
Smith is instructed to take the sack instead of forcing a ball into coverage for a pick...He doesn't turn over the ball...Manning on the other hand has been known to be reckless under pressure and coughs up interceptions. Still watching the Eli of old huh? Eli has improved dramatically in this aspect of his decision-making, taking far more sacks this year, and throwing far less risky passes. Just looked up Eli's 2011 stats, 29 TD's 16 ints 6 fumbles....Not great by any means. 92 QB rating Alex Smith: 17 TD's 5ints 90 QB rating Verdict is Smiths TD to int ratio is much better but he gets the ball in the end zone far less due to a really good running game and a less productive passing game. I know Eli is the better two of the QB's but when you have a really good defence and running game you don't have to be spectacular to win games.</p>

Manning: 4900+ Yards</p>

Smith: 3100+ Yards</p>

Yeah Chuckles conveniently left out those measly 1800 yards.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM

+1
</p>

Because the OP made the thread, not us. It's a forum rule to provide a link with any claim made.</p>

Otherwise, thousands of random BS threads would be made and everyone would be saying, "oh well, shouldve googled it yourself"</p>

How is that NOT absurd? well that is if you dont mind reading bs statements all the time (not saying this topic is bs but I think you know what I mean.)

Look if someone posts "Eli Manning out for season with broken leg" then you need a link for that. But asking people to cite every stat they refer to is ridiculous. How hard is it to look up a stat? It isn't a damn research paper.

KathieLee'sPokies
01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Smith was sacked on 9% of dropbacks this season, while Manning was sacked on 4.5% of dropbacks. I have a feeling that Smith will have plenty of opportunities to avoid interceptions by taking sacks this Sunday.

MA49fan
01-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Smith was sacked on 9% of dropbacks this season, while Manning was sacked on 4.5% of dropbacks. I have a feeling that Smith will have plenty of opportunities to avoid interceptions by taking sacks this Sunday.

Your actually right in a way. With the best punter in football having the best season for a punter in history why would you risk a turnover when you can constantly pin a team deep with superior ST play. Harbaugh looked at what the niners have and figured out the best way to use the players. It isn't a mystery that the niners are pencil thin at WR which has inflated the sack number as well with a few "coverage sacks". Alex only had 7 total turnovers to Eli's 24. Does that mean Alex is more accurate? Nope, it just means he takes almost NO risk of a turnover and that has led to 14 wins.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Smith was sacked on 9% of dropbacks this season, while Manning was sacked on 4.5% of dropbacks.* I have a feeling that Smith will have plenty of opportunities to avoid interceptions by taking sacks this Sunday.

Your actually right in a way.* With the best punter in football having the best season for a punter in history why would you risk a turnover when you can constantly pin a team deep with superior ST play.* Harbaugh looked at what the niners have and figured out the best way to use the players.* It isn't a mystery that the niners are pencil thin at WR which has inflated the sack number as well with a few "coverage sacks".* Alex only had 7 total turnovers to Eli's 24.* Does that mean Alex is more accurate?* Nope, it just means he takes almost NO risk of a turnover and that has led to 14 wins.

There's plenty to be said for conservative play. But sooner or later you come up against a team you can't beat by being conservative.

Gianthunter
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM

Your actually right in a way. With the best punter in football having the best season for a punter in history why would you risk a turnover when you can constantly pin a team deep with superior ST play. Harbaugh looked at what the niners have and figured out the best way to use the players. It isn't a mystery that the niners are pencil thin at WR which has inflated the sack number as well with a few "coverage sacks". Alex only had 7 total turnovers to Eli's 24. Does that mean Alex is more accurate? Nope, it just means he takes almost NO risk of a turnover and that has led to 14 wins.
There's plenty to be said for conservative play. But sooner or later you come up against a team you can't beat by being conservative.They did.

bflo23
01-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Only a 49er fan can spin getting QB sacked into a QB attribute. You are telling us that the 49ers offensive line is good at protecting Smith? This is a 49er fan after the billion sacks on Alex Smith.... "Yes. Another 10 yard loss sack and no INT. Great job!".... Just imagine if by some miracle, Alex Smith could throw it away but maybe he can't throw it away because the O-line stinks at protecting him. No time for Smith to even throw the ball away. Nobody here is buying into your denial that the Smith takes sacks on "purpose". The 49ers have a flawed offensive line. So all fumbles are considered turnovers? If you are going to say that Eli had "24 turnovers" which isn't true, then I can say that Smith had 12 turnovers.... Not 7.

When the best Alex Smith stat is "5 INTs and 7 fumbles", it is sad.

KathieLee'sPokies
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Eli didn't have 24 turnovers in 2011. He had 16 picks and 4 lost fumbles. That's 20 turnovers. Still far more than Smith. But this season has been an aberration for Smith, who is lifetime 68/58 TD/INT. Regarding sacks, the quantity of sacks can have a quality all its own. If the Giants stop the SF running game (meaning, say, less than 90 yards), Smith will have to pass more. The most-sacked QB dropping back versus the best D-Line in football (now that they are healthy) will mean sacks. And the ball will probably come loose at some point. Looks like a tough game, and I can see either team getting a bounce or two and coming out on top.

bflo23
01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Hopefully the Giants line can get as much as pressure as the Ravens did.

The Ravens sacked Alex Smith for 9 times in their matchup....... Yep. I said 9 sacks.

Axels15
01-19-2012, 08:56 PM
There is a reason he is the most sacked. He would rather take a sack than make a dumb throw that turns into a pick. Hence why he has 5 INT all year.</P>

Same philosophy with Rodgers.* 45 TDs and 6 INTs.* Can't say it doesn't work.</P>

Except Rodgers' sack rate is far less (based on passing attempts)....

harrycarson
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Smith was sacked on 9% of dropbacks this season, while Manning was sacked on 4.5% of dropbacks.* I have a feeling that Smith will have plenty of opportunities to avoid interceptions by taking sacks this Sunday.

Your actually right in a way.* With the best punter in football having the best season for a punter in history why would you risk a turnover when you can constantly pin a team deep with superior ST play.* Harbaugh looked at what the niners have and figured out the best way to use the players.* It isn't a mystery that the niners are pencil thin at WR which has inflated the sack number as well with a few "coverage sacks".* Alex only had 7 total turnovers to Eli's 24.* Does that mean Alex is more accurate?* Nope, it just means he takes almost NO risk of a turnover and that has led to 14 wins.
There's plenty to be said for conservative play. But sooner or later you come up against a team you can't beat by being conservative.They did.

They did? They wer throwing on 1st down and attacking. The last time we played them in no way were they conservative.

Joe Morrison
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Eli didn't have 24 turnovers in 2011. He had 16 picks and 4 lost fumbles. That's 20 turnovers. Still far more than Smith. But this season has been an aberration for Smith, who is lifetime 68/58 TD/INT. Regarding sacks, the quantity of sacks can have a quality all its own. If the Giants stop the SF running game (meaning, say, less than 90 yards), Smith will have to pass more. The most-sacked QB dropping back versus the best D-Line in football (now that they are healthy) will mean sacks. And the ball will probably come loose at some point. Looks like a tough game, and I can see either team getting a bounce or two and coming out on top.
</P>

Alex - ONE HIT WONDER - Get Ready for Sunday!</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiOtouyBOg&amp;feature=fvst</P>

</P>

jomo
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
[:D]

JayDAche
01-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Very nice.
Smith is instructed to take the sack instead of forcing a ball into coverage for a pick...He doesn't turn over the ball...Manning on the other hand has been known to be reckless under pressure and coughs up interceptions. Still watching the Eli of old huh? Eli has improved dramatically in this aspect of his decision-making, taking far more sacks this year, and throwing far less risky passes. Just looked up Eli's 2011 stats, 29 TD's 16 ints 6 fumbles....Not great by any means. 92 QB rating Alex Smith: 17 TD's 5ints 90 QB rating Verdict is Smiths TD to int ratio is much better but he gets the ball in the end zone far less due to a really good running game and a less productive passing game. I know Eli is the better two of the QB's but when you have a really good defence and running game you don't have to be spectacular to win games.</p>

Manning:* 4900+ Yards</p>

Smith:* 3100+ Yards</p>

Eli
359 out of 589 for 4,933yds 29 TD 16 INT 28 SACKs

Alex
273 out of 445 for 3,144yds 17 TD 5 INT 44 SACKs

Now we can compare the Running backs which have an effect on QB stats...

Top 3 49er Running backs
Gore 282 Attempts 1,211yds
Hunter 112 Attempts 473yds
Dixon 29 Attempts 87yds

Total: 423 Attempts 1771 Yards

Top 3 Giants Running backs
Bradshaw 171 Attempts 659yds
Jacobs 152 Attempts 571yds
Ware 46 Attempts 163yds

Total: 369 Attempts 1393 Yards

Total Offense

49ers
423 Rush Attempts 1,771 Yards
445 Pass Attempts 3,144 Yards
868 Total Attempts 4,915 Yards

Giants
369 Rush Attempts 1,393 Yards
589 Pass Attempts 4,933 Yards
958 Total Attempts for 6,326

On paper we are a lot closer statistically on offense then everyone thinks...

MA49fan
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Only a 49er fan can spin getting QB sacked into a QB attribute. You are telling us that the 49ers offensive line is good at protecting Smith? This is a 49er fan after the billion sacks on Alex Smith.... "Yes. Another 10 yard loss sack and no INT. Great job!".... Just imagine if by some miracle, Alex Smith could throw it away but maybe he can't throw it away because the O-line stinks at protecting him. No time for Smith to even throw the ball away. Nobody here is buying into your denial that the Smith takes sacks on "purpose". The 49ers have a flawed offensive line. So all fumbles are considered turnovers? If you are going to say that Eli had "24 turnovers" which isn't true, then I can say that Smith had 12 turnovers.... Not 7.

When the best Alex Smith stat is "5 INTs and 7 fumbles", it is sad.

I will admit I was wrong about Eli's total turnover number. All I am saying is that the niners offense tied the record for fewest turnovers in a season with 10. That is not something that happens by "accident". They finished the season with 5 straight games without a turnover which is ridiculous. ST helped a lot in that too. O-line does still have some protection issues but I guarantee Alex will take a sack over trying to force a pass to Brett Swain 10 times out of 10. It's a formula that obviously has worked as the niners have only lost 3 games by a total of 15 points.

gumby742
01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Very nice.

Manning:* 4900+ Yards</p>

Smith:* 3100+ Yards</p>

Look at yards per attempt. Much more accurate.