PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about moving the ball against the 49ers.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:19 AM
The 49er defense is going to cause problems for this offense. I think some of us dont realize how big that win over the Saints was.

Obviously I believe in Eli. And we are fine in that regard, but weather we like it or not, we are not good at running the ball. Lets just stop pretending.

We should have ran consistently all over the pack. And its not happening against the 49ers.

Absolutely can not be one dimensional.

I just hope we win the field position and the turnover battle.

SF's offense doesn't exactly scare me, but sometimes all you need is one big play.

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Why can't it be mostly 1 dimensional? I think if we run, pound the ball, they should be able to do WR screens and ****, get their secondary committing and then throwing the deep

meanseen
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
the niners let up 32 points despite causing 5 turnovers. While there is little doubt the saints offense is better than the giants offense, eli and his wr's have been playing lights out lately

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
the niners let up 32 points despite causing 5 turnovers. While there is little doubt the saints offense is better than the giants offense, eli and his wr's have been playing lights out lately

I think their running game is a lot scarier than ours IMO.

Pakman
01-18-2012, 01:25 AM

That's a great point, they gave up 3 HUGE plays in the game as well.

Idc man I just want Sunday to be here now!

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Why can't it be mostly 1 dimensional? I think if we run, pound the ball, they should be able to do WR screens and ****, get their secondary committing and then throwing the deepTell that to the Saints. Played right into their hands with passing it 60+ times. Drew Brees was running for his life with all that pressure.

meanseen
01-18-2012, 01:27 AM

I think their running game is a lot scarier than ours IMO.i agree however, after seeing the giants tear apart the hands down superbowl favorites and basically holding them to a fields goal and two cheapy touchdowns, i cant see us losing

AldonSmith
01-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Both teams are equally matched. It's gonna come down to who wants it more. Who will outlast who. Trust me when I say the Niners never give up. It's gonna be a great game for sure. Personally, I like how the Giants are built so I was happy for you gusy when you beat the Pack. Sick of this pass pass pass Madden NFL.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Keep in mind folks. This post is not about our offense as a whole. But our run game has been downright frustrating to watch. O-line is a joke at times.

So my point is: I don't see us running against the #1 defense in the NFL.

I guess we'll have to find some other way to win.

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 01:36 AM

I think their running game is a lot scarier than ours IMO.i agree however, after seeing the giants tear apart the hands down superbowl favorites and basically holding them to a fields goal and two cheapy touchdowns, i cant see us losing

Not taking anything away from your win, but in all fairness GB has not been playing very good towards the end of the season..They lost to a below average Chiefs team and beside a royal beat down on the Lions that Rogers didn't play in, he has been on ice since Christmas..I seen alot of dropped passes that were self inflicted and a pure luck hail mary pass..I wasn't impressed..As for the other teams you beat in the last month, Jets, Dallas, and a Falcons team that is horrible on the road and IMO was the weakest team in the NFC playoffs....But hey, you dethroned the champs..Good job.

scf424
01-18-2012, 01:39 AM

Not taking anything away from your win, but in all fairness GB has not been playing very good towards the end of the season..They lost to a below average Chiefs team and beside a royal beat down on the Lions that Rogers didn't play in, he has been on ice since Christmas..I seen alot of dropped passes that were self inflicted and a pure luck hail mary pass..I wasn't impressed..As for the other teams you beat in the last month, Jets, Dallas, and a Falcons team that is horrible on the road and IMO was the weakest team in the NFC playoffs....But hey, you dethroned the champs..Good job.

How is that not taking anything away from the win?

Lambeau12
01-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Giants are going to win the super bowl I think. Their defense will shut down the 49ers offense.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Giants are going to win the super bowl I think. Their defense will shut down the 49ers offense.I agree. But I still think we wont run for crap.

Eli will find a way though.

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Giants are going to win the super bowl I think. Their defense will shut down the 49ers offense.

Quite a few defences have slowed the 49ers offence, even though they have been scoring more as of late. Good thing is for the Niners, their defence slows other offences too. The 49ers are not flashy. They have good special teams that bury teams inside the 20 so it's a long field for the opponent. Inside the red zone it is VERY tough for opponents to score TDs, and they get pressure with their front four as well. There is no way you are running on SF..Forget it It is supposed to rain through Sunday which will hamper the passing game...I like the 49ers in this game, though not by much

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Giants are going to win the super bowl I think. Their defense will shut down the 49ers offense. Quite a few defences have slowed the 49ers offence, even though they have been scoring more as of late. Good thing is for the Niners, their defence slows other offences too. The 49ers are not flashy. They have good special teams that bury teams inside the 20 so it's a long field for the opponent. Inside the red zone it is VERY tough for opponents to score TDs, and they get pressure with their front four as well. There is no way you are running on SF..Forget it It is supposed to rain through Sunday which will hamper the passing game...I like the 49ers in this game, though not by much</P>

I think bad weather favors the offense (see: Tom Brady).....the receivers know where they need to run, whereas defenders can lose that split second reacting on a sloppy surface.</P>

Lambeau12
01-18-2012, 01:55 AM
The Giants run is looking similar to ours last season. Once we beat Philly on the road then I wasnt afraid of Atlanta. The Bears I was scared of because of the rivalry thing and the Steelers I knew we could beat. You guys can beat any of the three teams remaining easily IMO.

TheCatchIII
01-18-2012, 01:57 AM
I just hope we win the field position and the turnover battle.

This is what the Niners have been dominate in and lived by all season, so if you win this battle I say you have a great chance.

But it will be tough....

Like someone else said above.....Just can't wait until Sunday!!!!

bflo23
01-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Tell that to the Saints. Played right into their hands with passing it 60+ times. Drew Brees was running for his life with all that pressure.

49ers secondary were terrible against Brees. I don't think the 49ers were happy that Brees threw for nearly 500 passing yards and 4 TDs. I don't think that was the formula for 49ers defense. It wasn't Brees fault that his players had fumbilitis. If the players just held on to the ball, Brees is putting up like 45 points on the 49ers defense. I do agree with you that being one sided isn't a good idea but the Saints were one sided and nearly won if it wasn't for fumbles. The 49ers can be torched but it would be nice if Bradshaw/Jacobs help and get some yardage.

rainierjef
01-18-2012, 02:07 AM
screens, full back passes minimize the draw plays pass to open the run

jjj45
01-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Tell that to the Saints. Played right into their hands with passing it 60+ times. Drew Brees was running for his life with all that pressure.

49ers secondary were terrible against Brees. I don't think the 49ers were happy that Brees threw for nearly 500 passing yards and 4 TDs. I don't think that was the formula for 49ers defense. It wasn't Brees fault that his players had fumbilitis. If the players just held on to the ball, Brees is putting up like 45 points on the 49ers defense. I do agree with you that being one sided isn't a good idea but the Saints were one sided and nearly won if it wasn't for fumbles. The 49ers can be torched but it would be nice if Bradshaw/Jacobs help and get some yardage.
Very true. Like you said, you never want to have one dimension. Even though we'll probably be fine. Needless to say I'll be a very happy camper if we can run effectively Sunday. Show me Giants!

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM

....and we can go on about if the Packers didn't drop 8 passes and give up a fluke hail mary then who knows how it would have went. I don't get into the coulda, woulda, shouldas,...The fact is Brees threw 63 pass attempts. On your defence that would have been well above 40pts.

Add- The 49ers had numerous three and outs from the start of the second quarter all the way up until the end of the 4th..Thats alot of possestions in the Saints hand and they couldn't do squat.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
<font size="5">screens,</font> full back passes minimize the draw plays pass to open the run
<font color="#FF0000">We all know the Giants are beastly at those</font> [:|]

swimeasy
01-18-2012, 02:28 AM
<font size="5">screens,</font> full back passes minimize the draw plays pass to open the run
<font color="#FF0000">We all know the Giants are beastly at those</font> [:|]

LOL, so true, unfortunately, and crashed and burned again against GB. Don't have any pearls of wisdom as I share your concern and have posted before my main worry is the Oline, particularly opening holes for the run. I think TC mentioned something about the run game in one of his pressers so I am confident that he will make sure it is addressed in practices, but the game day execution will still be a nail biter for me. If we can just get some semblance of a run game going, it opens up so many options for Eli even if we don't have the balance.

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:33 AM

How is that not taking anything away from the win?

I know right?

LOL....this guy tells us he's not discrediting our wins, and then goes on a long rant discrediting each of our wins...

gotta love it...lol

Lambeau12
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
It is probably good we lost. I feel we would have gotten crushed against SF anyway.

EliTE
01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
not sure what your huge concern is about. eli passed for over 300 yards and 2 TDs in the first game, would have been 3 TDs and more yards if mario doesn't drop that last TD.

we won the time of possession, had 21 first downs, almost 400 yards total.

i recall us moving the ball pretty well against them. our first 2 drives we went right down the field but settled for field goals. the only time they really stopped us was when we turned the ball over.

i think if you should be concerned about anything it would be getting touchdowns and not settling for field goals since they have such a good run D and we stink and running it in short yardage situations.

i expect us to move the ball very well. i'm sure we'll end up settling for a FG or 2 on drives that we should have scored a TD but it won't matter in the end because our defense will dominate. it could potentially be a close game if we don't play well on both sides of the ball but if we play our best it's gonna be a fairly one sided game.

one interesting thing to consider is the giants didn't really dominate or blow any teams out all year, yet in this run that they've been on, they've won several games by multiple scores because the offense and defense are playing off each other, where as before when the O played well the D got scored on easily, and when the O struggled, the D played well but not well enough to win.

my biggest concern as far as the offensive unit goes is our Oline protecting eli. lucky for us eli has a sixth sense and is almost never blindsided and moves around the pocket very well. the 9ers have very good pass rush with the 2 smiths so we'll have to be ready for that.

Go Giants!

n0b0dy
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM

The numbers don't really tell the whole story. No, we weren't happy that we let him throw for the touchdowns (yards are pretty irrelevant to winning) but a couple of the touchdowns were on some blown coverages that were out of character. Brees was probably the most bothered all year with his entire Pro Bowl o-line in front of him. We also won a lot of one-on-one matchups with his receivers (see the T. Brown interception on Henderson and the Carlos Rogers plays).

In any event, watching the tape will tell the story more than looking at the stats.

EDIT: See this blog: Drew Brees finished with 462 passing yards against the 49ers in the NFC
Divisional Playoff. That number was truly misleading. The tape told a
different story. The San Francisco defense played very well, especially
their secondary. The coaching staff challenged the 49ers corners to play
man-to-man against the Saints wide receivers, and the 49ers were the
better unit. The Saints receivers did not get open consistently versus
man coverage. There was no rhythm or continuity to New Orleans’ high
tempo, fast break offense. http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/01/17/cosell-talks-alex-smith/

Keep in mind Greg Cosell is one of Alex Smith's biggest detractors.

nofiner9er
01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
kind of hard to hold the ball when your sleeping. that wasnt fumbleitis pierre got koncked the f@ck out.

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
kind of hard to hold the ball when your sleeping. that wasnt fumbleitis pierre got koncked the f@ck out.
Classy post.

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
It is probably good we lost. I feel we would have gotten crushed against SF anyway.
I'll take that as a compliment? :P

miked1958
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM

....and we can go on about if the Packers didn't drop 8 passes and give up a fluke hail mary then who knows how it would have went. I don't get into the coulda, woulda, shouldas,...The fact is Brees threw 63 pass attempts. On your defence that would have been well above 40pts.

Add- The 49ers had numerous three and outs from the start of the second quarter all the way up until the end of the 4th..Thats alot of possestions in the Saints hand and they couldn't do squat.
Yea let's not get into the coulda, woulda, shouldas...then we would have to get into a team that like Miami Heat Celebrated a SB Title prior to even taking a snap in 2011. Don't deem yourself The Dream Team if u can't back it up..also if u want to get into the coulda woulda shouldas then we can talk about your failures in what was it 3or4 NFC CGs in a row??? Be gone!!! And let teams that know how to win NFC CGs play for the right to go to the SB.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Keep in mind folks. This post is not about our offense as a whole. But our run game has been downright frustrating to watch. O-line is a joke at times.

Some interesting stats from an article in the news thread:

<font color="#FF0000">San Francisco's running game is ranked 8th in regular season play.</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 5th in the postseason (1 game).</font></p>

It was a rough season for the Giants rushing game. The tandem of <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2224/brandon-jacobs">Brandon
Jacobs</a> and <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16768/ahmad-bradshaw">Ahmad
Bradshaw</a> collectively ran for 1,230 yards, just nineteen yards more than
Frank Gore. These are small numbers considering that Jacobs and Bradshaw ran for
over 2,000 yards last season. Yet, they have picked things up a bit towards the
end of the regular season and in the playoffs.</p>

<font color="#FF0000">New York's running game is ranked 32nd in regular season play.</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 7th in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>Offensive Line:

The Frisco offensive line was able to punch holes in opposing defensive lines
to get their running game going. Yet, they were not strong enough to protect
Alex Smith throughout the year. Smith was the most sacked quarterback in the
NFL. The way the Giants front four have been playing, this group is in for a
long day.</p>

<font color="#FF0000">San Francisco's Offensive Line is ranked No. 26 (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked No. 7 in the postseason (1 game).</font></p>

The Giants' O-line have been quietly doing well all season long,
statistically speaking. They gave up the fifth-least amount of quarterback sacks
and the twelfth-least amount of quarterback hits. The running game wasn't
prevalent this season. The jury is still out on if they should bear the brunt of
the blame.</p>

<font color="#FF0000">New York's Offensive Line is ranked No. 7 (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked No. 4 in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">The 49ers are ranked 26th in TOTAL OFFENSE (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 5th in the postseason (1 game).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">The Giants are ranked 8th in TOTAL OFFENSE (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 3rd in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>

TroyArcher
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Giants are going to win the super bowl I think. Their defense will shut down the 49ers offense.I agree. But I still think we wont run for crap.

Ran all over the Falcons who have a good defense.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM

<font color="#FF0000">San Francisco's running game is ranked 8th in regular season play.</font></p>

It was a rough season for the Giants rushing game. The tandem of <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2224/brandon-jacobs">Brandon
Jacobs</a> and <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16768/ahmad-bradshaw">Ahmad
Frank Gore. These are small numbers considering that Jacobs and Bradshaw ran for

<font color="#FF0000">New York's running game is ranked 32nd in regular season play.</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 7th in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>Offensive Line:

long day.</p>

<font color="#FF0000">San Francisco's Offensive Line is ranked No. 26 (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked No. 7 in the postseason (1 game).</font></p>

statistically speaking. They gave up the fifth-least amount of quarterback sacks
prevalent this season. The jury is still out on if they should bear the brunt of
the blame.</p>

<font color="#FF0000">New York's Offensive Line is ranked No. 7 (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked No. 4 in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">The 49ers are ranked 26th in TOTAL OFFENSE (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">The Giants are ranked 8th in TOTAL OFFENSE (regular season).</font></p>

<font color="#FF0000">They are ranked 3rd in the postseason (2 games).</font></p>
Thanks for those stats RF.

Maybe the Giants run game will surprise me.

look@dafilm
01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

You forget that the Saints got a little lucky in that one. The 49ers held New Orleans to 14 points for over 3 quarters. The Saints mounted a great comeback and the 49ers still won.

The OP brings up a fair point however. The Saints were (surprisingly) the 6th ranked rushing offense in this game. They totaled 37 yards against the 49ers. It is very tough to run against the SF D.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Ran all over the Falcons who have a good defense.Couldn't do jack against GB who is horrible. We'll see Sunday.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM

long day.</p>

the blame.</p>

No offense meant, but it should have already. I'm not suggesting they can't be stopped or that we can win with just the running game. But they have been playing fairly well for three or 4 weeks now. Great timing, no?

buddy33
01-18-2012, 09:17 PM
The Giants had almost 400 yards of offense the 1st time they played.

They need to not throw 2 interceptions and not have an on side kick work on them.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 09:22 PM

long day.</p>

the blame.</p>

No offense meant, but it should have already. I'm not suggesting they can't be stopped or that we can win with just the running game. But they have been playing fairly well for three or 4 weeks now. Great timing, no?
yeah but cmon now, we didnt exactly run it down GB's throat did we? And the 49er D is definitely not as bad as GB's. Like I said, we'll see.

RoanokeFan
01-18-2012, 09:25 PM

long day.</p>

the blame.</p>

yeah but cmon now, we didnt exactly run it down GB's throat did we? And the 49er D is definitely not as bad as GB's. Like I said, we'll see.

They've had over 100 yards in the last three or four games. It's NOT an amazing number but, comparatively, it's been just enough and improving every week to complement the passing game.

I believe Pat Kirwan on SIRIUS today said they had the most rushing TD's in the post season.

Improvement at this time of the year usually results in success. As you say, we'll see on Sunday.