PDA

View Full Version : 49er's not a SB team

chuckedafter5yards
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Didn't see the game live but watching SF on NFL Replay last night made me see the 49ers are a good but not great team. Never mind the hold on Ballard by an "All Pro" linebacker in week 10, or the fact that 49er coach claimed, (Willis) never used his hands-(PS coach, hands are attatched to arms).

Alex Smith is a good runner but not a good scrambler, he doesn't avoid pressure well and throws from a "spot" from either a 3 step or 5 step drop. Get him moving around the pocket and he is not accurate. The Giants have seen the numerous sub packages and formations on Offense. A well prepared Giant defense is not going to give up big runs because the 49ers ran an unbalanced line.

The 49er defense is full of Pro Bowl players, I'm not buying it. They have been described as tough, physical team???? The Giants are clearly afraid of this wealth of talent and gritty phyical defense as apparently the Giants are a finesse team who can't punch people in the mouth.

AllTuckedUp
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Didn't see the game live but watching SF on NFL Replay last night made me see the 49ers are a good but not great team. Never mind the hold on Ballard by an "All Pro" linebacker in week 10, or the fact that 49er coach claimed, (Willis) never used his hands-(PS coach, hands are attatched to arms).

Alex Smith is a good runner but not a good scrambler, he doesn't avoid pressure well and throws from a "spot" from either a 3 step or 5 step drop. Get him moving around the pocket and he is not accurate. The Giants have seen the numerous sub packages and formations on Offense. A well prepared Giant defense is not going to give up big runs because the 49ers ran an unbalanced line.

The 49er defense is full of Pro Bowl players, I'm not buying it. They have been described as tough, physical team????* The Giants are clearly afraid of this wealth of talent and gritty phyical defense as apparently the Giants are a finesse team who can't punch people in the mouth.

Best kicker. Best punter. Best defense. Great RB. QB who can manage the game. Great coach.

They can beat us.

jomo
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM

The 49er defense is full of Pro Bowl players, I'm not buying it. They have been described as tough, physical team???? The Giants are clearly afraid of this wealth of talent and gritty phyical defense as apparently the Giants are a finesse team who can't punch people in the mouth.
Best kicker. Best punter. Best defense. Great RB. QB who can manage the game. Great coach. They can beat us.Agreed, we need to be ready for this one and be hitting on all cylinders.

ny06
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I watched the entire game, they are a good team. But I won't use the word great. But they are in the NFC Championship game so they deserve credit. </P>

The 49ers on defense are simple, they don't use many blitzes. They pretty much just line up and dare you to beat them. </P>

They have big d-lineman to take up blockers for the tackling machines they have in the middle. (Willis, Bowman)</P>

Aldon Smith is the real deal, they like to use him on the opposing teams blind side, so I expect the Giants to help Diehl out. Justin Smith had a great year, guy doesn't let up on any plays. He is not the best pass rusher or run stopper. But he does both really well. </P>

49ers offense is not anywhere near as good as the Packers. They stick to the run, and they like short and intermediate passes to there tightends,backs. They also like to run slants for the wr's. </P>

The one thing they don't do well on offense is stretch the field. I guess that's more to they know what Alex Smith can't do. </P>

Another thing that should be mentioned is they are a great tackling team. </P>

All in all I like our chances...</P>

NYG216
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't sleep on SF. Not only have they beaten us before (granted we are playing much better as of late) but they can easily win on Sunday. On top of that, SF can also beat both Baltimore and New England if they get by us.

They are a great team that can win any given Sunday.

We need to bring our A game on Sunday.

Redeyejedi
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
The Giants offense thrives on bad tackling teams.Teams that dont tackle well get beat for at least one long TD a game against the Giants.This is the key to the game in my opinion the Giants didnt get anything easy against the 49ers.The 49ers made them earn everything.There shortest scoring drive was 7 plays and when teams do that Manning "and Most QB's" will turn the ball over and thats what he did. In my estimation if the Giants dont get at least one of there big play scores they will lose the game

GameTime
01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Best kicker. Best punter. Best defense. Great RB. QB who can manage the game. Great coach. They can beat us.</P>

this .....^^^^</P>

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Giants have faced the following offenses:

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

(FYI....Giants offense #8)

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

That's true and all, but their offense beat the saints offense (besides the fact that they didn't convert on many TOs) still they have a sick defense to counter our #8 offense

NYBlue10
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I just don't get why people think 49ers have a great defense, they gave up 462 yards and 32 points to Brees, and they knew Saints were passing the ball most of the time too. That ain't a great defense to me.

Eli in the first meeting vs SF passed for over 300 yards also.

Don't buy the hype.

NYG216
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

But we have faced the following defenses:

Green Bay: #32
Falcons: #12
Dallas: #14
Jets: #5

Next up: 49ers #4

FYI Giants D: #27

giantman8493
01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't sleep on SF.* Not only have they beaten us before (granted we are playing much better as of late) but they can easily win on Sunday.* On top of that, SF can also beat both Baltimore and New England if they get by us.

Neither team can easily win. are you kidding? you think it is an easy win?

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 12:18 PM

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

But we have faced the following defenses:

Green Bay: #32
Falcons: #12
Dallas: #14
Jets: #5

Next up: 49ers #4

FYI Giants D: #27

The difference between the Giants end-year defense and mid-year defense is night and day.

Or, more specifically: Tuck, Osi, Boley, Blackburn, and improvement by Prince.

NYG216
01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't sleep on SF. Not only have they beaten us before (granted we are playing much better as of late) but they can easily win on Sunday. On top of that, SF can also beat both Baltimore and New England if they get by us.

I said that they CAN easily win. They are a hot team as well... and it is a home game. Their crowd hasn't tasted a NFC Championship game in a long time. They just beat the Saints who destroyed us.

I had a great feeling going into Green Bay, but I am very uneasy about this one. They are a three loss team that is being disrespected at home against a nine win team that they have already beat.

I am just hoping that last week was their super bowl and that the 49ers come out flat.

GMENAGAIN
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
I watched the entire game, they are a good team. But I won't use the word great. But they are in the NFC Championship game so they deserve credit. </P>

The 49ers on defense are simple, they don't use many blitzes. They pretty much just line up and dare you to beat them. </P>

They have big d-lineman to take up blockers for the tackling machines they have in the middle. (Willis, Bowman)</P>

Aldon Smith is the real deal, they like to use him on the opposing teams blind side, so I expect the Giants to help Diehl out. Justin Smith had a great year, guy doesn't let up on any plays. He is not the best pass rusher or run stopper. But he does both really well. </P>

49ers offense is not anywhere near as good as the Packers. They stick to the run, and they like short and intermediate passes to there tightends,backs. They also like to run slants for the wr's. </P>

The one thing they don't do well on offense is stretch the field. I guess that's more to they know what Alex Smith can't do. </P>

Another thing that should be mentioned is they are a great tackling team. </P>

All in all I like our chances...</P>

</P>

Alex Smith looked awful on deep throws early in that Saints game, but he hitt a couble nice ones down the stretch . . . . . </P>

Manning2Niks
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

That's true and all, but their offense beat the saints offense (besides the fact that they didn't convert on many TOs) still they have a sick defense to counter our #8 offense

But is the Saints D as good as ours? That's a big factor as well.

I think if we can dominate green bay we have a chance vs anyone, but I take nothing for granted. Both teams can win this Sunday and beyond. We need attitude and execution to make sure we have one more week of Giants football...

miked1958
01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Giants have faced the following offenses: Green Bay....#3 Falcons....#10 Dallas....#11 Jets....#25 Next up....49ers....#26 (FYI....Giants offense #8) That's true and all, but their offense beat the saints offense (besides the fact that they didn't convert on many TOs) still they have a sick defense to counter our #8 offense</P>

Yes but Saints D can be scored on just like the Ds of GB and Pats. Barring weather Conditions I dont think SF Reaches 27pts again on this D now that we have all our guys back. </P>

Weather we can throw it in that weather, I dont know. But i think we can hold them to between 17 and 21 pts. If we do that I think we can win. I see the Gmen putting up 30. Call me crazy</P>

miked1958
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

</P>

Thanks for reminding me. I had forgot all about that Mugging of Ballard. the hold was so obvious. Had that been called like it should of been we get a first and goal and new set of downs. More then likely Eli would have then scored there and tied it.</P>

We also lost boley in that game in first half and VD ate up Greg Jones for two 2nd Half TDs... I like our chances</P>

NYG 5
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
the 2000 giants weren't a supposed super bowl team, yet they got there. anybody can get in now, you can't take anyone lightly. especially when they have a very good defense, when they can go head to head in a throwing contest, and when its in their building.

your premise of beating smith by getting him to move around only works if the giants can get pressure. the pass rush could vanish just as quickly as it appeared a few weeks ago. we'll see what happens sunday

chuckedafter5yards
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Smith is the weakest part of the whole team, he was awful when blitzed. Every 3rd and long I saw Saints blitz and get to him. The OL is young and not agile against blitzes, Smith pulled the ball down immediately when a guy came free.
The Giants will not run the ball well, neither will SF.
Eli can and will outplay Smith, he has not relied on a running game this year.

As for beating the Giants earlier this year, Manningham had the TD in his hands, Ballard was held. Bradshaw was out- still Eli had 300+ passing yards.

Rermember Kenny Phillips hit on Graham? Look for something similar on Davis.

gumby742
01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Green Bay....#3
Falcons....#10
Dallas....#11
Jets....#25

Next up....49ers....#26

Don't know. The Saints practically handed the 49ers the game and they still almost lost.

TroyArcher
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Best kicker. Best punter. Best defense. Great RB. QB who can manage the game. Great coach. They can beat us.</P>

Best kicker - OK but he will not get many opportunities. Weatherford has punted very well lately, no big edge there. Gore is good, not great. No better than the Bradshaw/Jacobs combination.A QB who is a "game manager" is just another name for mediocre. Lets see Harbaugh do it more than one year before calling him great. He was in a very weak division. I will take Coughlin over Harbaugh at this point in their careers. </P>

</P>

Weygand
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
The 9ers are very good. Their defense is solid.
If anyone thinks the 9ers aren't capable of beating all the remaining teams, they are sorely mistaken.

By the same token, we didn't get here through the lottery. The Giants can beat all the remaining teams as well...the first step to that is Sunday

Fastphilly
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Here is the thing about the 49ers that give them the potential to beat anybody..It causes defences to play honest for 60 minutes..They never surrender a sizable lead that leads them to go full pass in the 4th. They play controlled offence, sound special teams, and a defence that keeps them in reach throughout the game and pounces on the other teams mistakes...That is a sound formula for winning...This game will come down to who makes the huge mistake late in the fourth quarter. This game is a coin toss.

OrangeGiant
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
The 49ers are certainly worthy and capable of getting to the SB. Now, do I think they will? No. But this is a really good football team and anyone expecting the Giants to just roll them is maybe expecting a bit much.

NYGJayPro81
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't sleep on SF.* Not only have they beaten us before (granted we are playing much better as of late) but they can easily win on Sunday.* On top of that, SF can also beat both Baltimore and New England if they get by us.

I said that they CAN easily win.* They are a hot team as well... and it is a home game.* Their crowd hasn't tasted a NFC Championship game in a long time.* They just beat the Saints who destroyed us.

I had a great feeling going into Green Bay, but I am very uneasy about this one.* They are a three loss team that is being disrespected at home against a nine win team that they have already beat.

I am just hoping that last week was their super bowl and that the 49ers come out flat.

Who are they being disrespected by, other than the OP??? They earned my respect when they beat us the first time (although they were helped by some favorable calls, but that's part of the game and they got the win)...i fully expect us to win this time around. It's hard to beat a quality team twice, especially if they're not a divisional foe who you know pretty well...i.e. us losing to the Skins twice this year. That's also the reason I din't want to face the Patriots again if we beat the 49ers...plus we owe the Ravens for 2000

bklyn1028
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM

He said "NEITHER" team can easily win, meaning it's a coin toss, not an easy win for either side.

The 49ers defense is every bit as good as ours, don't kid yourselves. This isn't going to be a cake walk for anyone come sunday. Don't be surprised if the final score isn't:

10-7, pick a team.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, they are IMO. Whoever wins the NFC is probably going to win the SB.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Perfectly said. They are a very tough and sound team.</P>

Weygand
01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
The 49ers defense is every bit as good as ours

Actually it's better than ours but F them.

bklyn1028
01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
The 49ers defense is every bit as good as ours

Actually it's better than ours but F them.

YO, my man......LOL

Delvin_24
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Well, technically, no they are not, and neither are any of the other teams until the games are actually played. But to the broader point you're trying to make, the 49ers did go 13-3 and managed to win in the div round, and are now playing in the conf championship game...reasonable people might argue that when any team is one game way from the SB, they are a SB-caliber team. Your mileage may vary.

Spizi
01-18-2012, 03:21 PM

The 49er defense is full of Pro Bowl players, I'm not buying it. They have been described as tough, physical team????* The Giants are clearly afraid of this wealth of talent and gritty phyical defense as apparently the Giants are a finesse team who can't punch people in the mouth.

Best kicker. Best punter. Best defense. Great RB. QB who can manage the game. Great coach.

They can beat us.

Best Kicker- who cares
Best Punter- ^
Best defense- 15th against the pass= our strength
Great RB- 6 carries 0 yards last time.
Great Coach- competant sounds better. the 9ers are the same team they now have a coach that doesn't suck

They will not beat us.

bklyn1028
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, technically, no they are not, and neither are any of the other teams until the games are actually played.* But to the broader point you're trying to make, the 49ers did go 13-3 and managed to win in the div round, and are now playing in the conf championship game...reasonable people might argue that when any team is one game way from the SB, they are a SB-caliber team.* Your mileage may vary.

I agree with you, they did something right to get where they are. But the main thing the jints have that the 49ers don't, is experience. Coughlin and Manning have been there before, Smith and Harbaugh haven't.

Just using those 2 names for arguments sake.

Weygand
01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Well, technically, no they are not, and neither are any of the other teams until the games are actually played.* But to the broader point you're trying to make, the 49ers did go 13-3 and managed to win in the div round, and are now playing in the conf championship game...reasonable people might argue that when any team is one game way from the SB, they are a SB-caliber team.* Your mileage may vary.

I agree with you, they did something right to get where they are. But the main thing the jints have that the 49ers don't, is experience. Coughlin and Manning have been there before, Smith and Harbaugh haven't.

Just using those 2 names for arguments sake.

That's certainly true too....but the 9ers are so brash I don't think the gravity of the game will register for them. Lots of youth on that team who have never sniffed post-season

Delvin_24
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Could be, but I think it's easy to blow the "experience" thing out of proportion....not that it can't or won't be a factor. Going back into the archives, but it was 30 years ago that a young, inexperienced 49ers team had no shot against the vaunted, highly-experienced Cowboys in the NFCCG. And even last week, the Niners managed some clutch plays in the final 3 minutes against a very playoff-experienced Saints team. But I do know that if there are players out there choking because of the pressure created by what's at stake, Manning won't be one of them...dude does not even have a pulse.

Weygand
01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Could be, but I think it's easy to blow the "experience" thing out of proportion....not that it can't or won't be a factor.* Going back into the archives, but it was 30 years ago that a young, inexperienced 49ers team had no shot against the vaunted, highly-experienced Cowboys in the NFCCG.* And even last week, the Niners managed some clutch plays in the final 3 minutes against a very playoff-experienced Saints team.* But I do know that if there are players out there choking because of the pressure created by what's at stake, Manning won't be one of them...dude does not even have a pulse.

That narrative is 9er fiction. The 9ers were in the title game because they had a pretty damn good defense and an offense created by a HOFer and QBd by an HOFer..and I don't mean Paul Hofer

gumby742
01-18-2012, 04:21 PM
The post season is a new season with every team starting anew.

But based on the entire season, the 49ers are closer to a SB team then we are.

We're hot, and perhaps playing the best ball, but let's give Smith and the niners the respect they deserve.

C'mon people.

Delvin_24
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
While you're right to say they had a great defense in '81, plus a HC and QB that would go on to "Legend" status, the '81 Niners were absolutely considered by many in the media (and fans) to be too inexperienced to compete with the Cowboys. So you're wrong if you're saying that is fiction. When it was mentioned that, "well, the 49ers did beat Dallas 45-14 in the regular season," the retort was that wasn't the "real" Cowboys, and now this was the playoffs, the CG, domain of great teams like Dallas. On the original CBS broadcast, Vin Scully and Hank Stram made repeated references to this dynamic, and in fact, Scully called them "upstarts" literal seconds before "The Catch."</P>

NYG216
01-18-2012, 04:29 PM

I said that they CAN easily win. They are a hot team as well... and it is a home game. Their crowd hasn't tasted a NFC Championship game in a long time. They just beat the Saints who destroyed us.

I had a great feeling going into Green Bay, but I am very uneasy about this one. They are a three loss team that is being disrespected at home against a nine win team that they have already beat.

Who are they being disrespected by, other than the OP??? They earned my respect when they beat us the first time (although they were helped by some favorable calls, but that's part of the game and they got the win)...i fully expect us to win this time around. It's hard to beat a quality team twice, especially if they're not a divisional foe who you know pretty well...i.e. us losing to the Skins twice this year. That's also the reason I din't want to face the Patriots again if we beat the 49ers...plus we owe the Ravens for 2000

They are just a 2 point favorite... so on a neutral field they would be an underdog. Also a lot of analysts are picking against them. That is disrespect since they finished with four more wins and already beat us.

look@dafilm
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM

They can beat us.

Nice reply. Obviously both teams are super bowl teams otherwise they wouldn't be in the game that could get them to the big dance. I honestly stopped reading after the OP put the words to describe Willis "all-pro" in quotes. As if he isn't the very best LB right now.

If the Giants win it will be with their WRs, if the 49ers win it will be with their front 7.

TheCatchIII
01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Well one thing is for certain.

Both the Giants and Niners are NFC Championship teams.

[B]

Weygand
01-18-2012, 04:33 PM

We're hot, and perhaps playing the best ball, but let's give Smith and the niners the respect they deserve.

C'mon people.

Trust me, I don't think that is the issue. We're the #4 seed going into the #2 seed who has already beaten us this season and the 9ers are giving us points. 9er fans, being their usually ****y selves, are already treating this as a done deal and talking about which of our players will get knocked out.

The funny thing is a lot of 9er fans are complaining saying the media likes the Giants and are all on the Giants bandwagon. I just humor them.

Weygand
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Well one thing is for certain.

Both the Giants and Niners are NFC Championship teams.

[B]

I'll drink to that

gumby742
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM

C'mon people.

Trust me, I don't think that is the issue. We're the #4 seed going into the #2 seed who has already beaten us this season and the 9ers are giving us points. 9er fans, being their usually ****y selves, are already treating this as a done deal and talking about which of our players will get knocked out.

The funny thing is a lot of 9er fans are complaining saying the media likes the Giants and are all on the Giants bandwagon. I just humor them.

The media are definitely in love with us right now. I'm enjoying it, but it makes me nervous all the same being that we're the let down kings.

jjj45
01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
The Giants offense thrives on bad tackling teams.Teams that dont tackle well get beat for at least one long TD a game against the Giants.This is the key to the game in my opinion the Giants didnt get anything easy against the 49ers.The 49ers made them earn everything.There shortest scoring drive was 7 plays and when teams do that Manning "and Most QB's" will turn the ball over and thats what he did. In my estimation if the Giants dont get at least one of there big play scores they will lose the gameBig YAC plays wont matter. Did you see how Manning was dropping the ball perfectly into his receivers hands? We didn't need any big plays from Cruz or Nicks because Eli can just lay it in there. As long as there is no communication issues. We should be fine in the passing game.

Turnovers will lose this game. Not lack of big plays.

NYDestroyer
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
The 49ers are good. They have a Superbowl ready defense and a quarterback that makes them good enough on offense to win big games. I was watching the 49ers vs. Giants replay today just to see how they beat the Giants. They are an opportunist team. I was just watching the 49ers head coach talking about the Giants on NFL Network and what they do to win big games and I couldn't help laughing knowing that he was really describing his team lol.

Giants... the 49ers thrive on turn overs and sloppy football. The biggest reason why the giants lost to them this season was because of Key turn overs and giving them a short field to work with because of poor kickoffs. To beat the 49ers that giants have to PROTECT ELI MANNING. They kept getting decent presure on Eli Manning during the game and DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER. And of course they have to GET PRESSURE ON ALEX SMITH. Play giants football and those three things will win them the game.

chuckedafter5yards
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM