PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice on ESPN says Jacobs- "A little bit soft"

OrangeGiant
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, but I didn't see it. He said he's tired of seeing 180 pound guys bring Jacob's down. I can't say I completely disagree. Sometimes he does go down pretty easy, compared to Bradshaw.</P>

Can't wait to hear his reaction to this one.</P>

OrangeGiant
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
They are replaying it right now on ESPN.

TroyArcher
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, but I didn't see it. He said he's tired of seeing 180 pound guys bring Jacob's down. I can't say I completely disagree. Sometimes he does go down pretty easy, compared to Bradshaw.</P>

</P>

</P>

Never liked Jerry Rice, still don't. I don't recall Rice ever running over anyone. </P>

ny06
01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Jacobs is far from soft. </P>

You have to look at it like this, he is a big man, and there is alot of body for the defenders to hit. </P>

These 180 lbs corners rice is speaking of, are they tackling him at pad level? I think not. So if they tackle him at his ankles yes he can go down. </P>

JimC
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, but I didn't see it. He said he's tired of seeing 180 pound guys bring Jacob's down. I can't say I completely disagree. Sometimes he does go down pretty easy, compared to Bradshaw.</p>

Can't wait to hear his reaction to this one.</p>

Totally, totally, totally agree. SOFT

dempsblows
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I cant say I totally disagree. Jacobs doesn't run as tough as he used to.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
He's not soft. Opposing players FINALLY got sick of getting trucked, smartened up, and started tackling below his knees. Bradshaw is harder to tackle because of his lower center of gravity and GREAT balance that he has (plus his own toughness). If you tackle BJ above the waist, he is still hard to take down. </P>

Who cares whatJerry Rice says? Does today's 49er team need it's grandfather to do the talking for them?</P>

OrangeGiant
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Jacobs is far from soft. </P>

You have to look at it like this, he is a big man, and there is alot of body for the defenders to hit. </P>

These 180 lbs corners rice is speaking of, are they tackling him at pad level? I think not. So if they tackle him at his ankles yes he can go down. </P>

</P>

Soft wasn't the right word and I think Rice will end up regretting saying that. I still think at times he does get tackled easier than he should, and at times it is certainly because defenders are hitting him low. </P>

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
He's not soft.* Opposing players FINALLY got sick of getting trucked, smartened up, and started tackling below his knees.* Bradshaw is harder to tackle because of his lower center of gravity and GREAT balance that he has (plus his own toughness).* If you tackle BJ above the waist, he is still hard to take down.* </P>

Who cares what*Jerry Rice says?* Does today's 49er team need it's grandfather to do the talking for them?</P>Wow common sense.

I will sat there been times he has gone down a bit easy, but a lot of it is as you said. Also another issue is the lack of line blocking for him to get started. Harder to take someone down while in motion vs just trying to get started.

Desepx
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Jacobs is far from soft. </p>

You have to look at it like this, he is a big man, and there is alot of body for the defenders to hit. </p>

These 180 lbs corners rice is speaking of, are they tackling him at pad level? I think not. So if they tackle him at his ankles yes he can go down. </p>

</p>

Soft wasn't the right word and I think Rice will end up regretting saying that. I still think at times he does get tackled easier than he should, and at times it is certainly because defenders are hitting him low. </p>

Think its time our boy needs to start getting airborn a little bit more when hes got a 1v1 with a lb/saftey etc?

burier
Jacobs isnt soft but I wish he'd pick his feet up when he runs.

He gets tripped a lot.

bflo23
Yea. I heard him say it. I hope Jacobs uses it as fuel. Jacobs is pretty complex. Most people say he should only run north to south and just hit that hole. It sounds right due to his size but we all know that Jacobs gets plenty of yards running to the outside as well as his biggest gains were from the outside. Cornerbacks want no business in tackling on the outside and get steamrolled. But then when he tries to run outside, he sometimes gets run down by an ankle tackle from behind.

With 49ers great rushing defense and lateral speed, I think it would be better for Jacobs to run up the middle and hit the 49ers head on.

stormblue
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
"tip-toe burglar"

CTLadyBlue
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Sheesh, let's see how fast all of you can run carrying 260+ pounds of muscle. Jacobs isn't a FAST runner. He's a POWER runner. He plows into defenders and drags three of them 5-10 yards more.

Maybe if he fell on Rice he'd realize he ain't so soft.

JimC
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Yea. I heard him say it. I hope Jacobs uses it as fuel. Jacobs is pretty complex. Most people say he should only run north to south and just hit that hole. It sounds right due to his size but we all know that Jacobs gets plenty of yards running to the outside as well as his biggest gains were from the outside. Cornerbacks want no business in tackling on the outside and get steamrolled. But then when he tries to run outside, he sometimes gets run down by an ankle tackle from behind.

<font color="#0000FF" size="5">With 49ers great rushing defense and lateral speed, I think it would be better for Jacobs to run up the middle and hit the 49ers head on. </font>

Right, that should work. Have you ever seen him on 2 and short or 3 and short?

tripleaamin9
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
took him that long to realize it the past 3 years. I mean he is actually running hard now and he is saying it now? lol

blueomaha
01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Who cares what Rice says about BJ...he never tackled anybody in his life....

bflo23
I think gameplay calling also makes defenses zone in on Jacobs. Hard to get a gain when a couple linebackers are zooming down on him. When Bradshaw is in, Giants have plenty of options whether to run with him, Bradshaw block (better blocker than Jacobs) or have Bradshaw go run a passing route...... When Jacobs comes in, I feel like defenses are guessing Jacobs run and they tend to be right. Jacobs has only 15 receptions this season so the covering LB may just blitz Jacobs/Eli..... And with Bradshaw, LB can't just blitz Bradshaw/Eli because a little dink pass to Bradshaw could lead to a 30 yard pass play.

JJC7301
He's not soft. Opposing players FINALLY got sick of getting trucked, smartened up, and started tackling below his knees. Bradshaw is harder to tackle because of his lower center of gravity and GREAT balance that he has (plus his own toughness). If you tackle BJ above the waist, he is still hard to take down. </P>

Who cares whatJerry Rice says? Does today's 49er team need it's grandfather to do the talking for them?</P>

Wow common sense. I will sat there been times he has gone down a bit easy, but a lot of it is as you said. Also another issue is the lack of line blocking for him to get started. Harder to take someone down while in motion vs just trying to get started.</P>

The line is not what it once was -- very good in pass protection, but inconsistent at best when running. I know the line has been playing well, but I'd rather see Boothe / Petrus instead of Boothe / Bass since the RG seemed to do better with the former combo. Then again, Bass has much more experience than Petrus.</P>

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM

<font color="#0000FF" size="5">With 49ers great rushing defense and lateral speed, I think it would be better for Jacobs to run up the middle and hit the 49ers head on. </font>

Right, that should work.* Have you ever seen him on 2 and short or 3 and short?
Wont happen with Baas. Hence they are always running outside the guard spot, because of the lack of the center push.

Surprised many have not noticed it. Watch the replay tonight. It was the same vs Atl

giantsfan420
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
this is great news for me bc now i fully expect jacobs to go beast mode sunday night.

rice just did something the 9ers are feverishly trying not to do; give us bulletain board material.

sure he isnt on the team anymore but hes a big a part of that franchise as harbaugh is right now.

jacobs is gonna have the 9er defenders pissed off at rice for giving the freight train some turbo fuel.

I Bleed Blue
01-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Hate to admit it, but Jacobs goes down way to easy for a guy his size. Bradshaw runs with the heart of a lion on every down. It would probably help if he actually had a O-line that could actually push people off the line of scrimmage.

FlipNYG77
Thanks Jerry...last week a GB player called the oline soft....look what happened...no one got near Eli...now...someone called Jacob soft.....hope BJ heard that

bflo23
Right, that should work. Have you ever seen him on 2 and short or 3 and short?

Have you seen 49ers lateral rushing defense? There is a reason why they have the best rushing D. They have the fastest LBs and ran down Jacobs a lot in their last matchup. That is why I prefer Jacobs not to try to outrun the 49ers very fast LBs. If the Giants want to run outside, let Bradshaw do it.... Bradshaw didn't play in their last meeting.

As I said before, defenses zoom on Jacobs a lot because of predictable gamecalling.

Kase-1
If we're gonna have a good game with Jacobs, we need a GREAT game with the O-Line. SF's DL and their inside LBs need to be neutralized then Jacobs can establish some steam and hit those gaps for a big run here and there... Then again if Candlestick turns into a mud pit this is gonna be a FUGLY game

OrangeGiant
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
this is great news for me bc now i fully expect jacobs to go beast mode sunday night. rice just did something the 9ers are feverishly trying not to do; give us bulletain board material. sure he isnt on the team anymore but hes a big a part of that franchise as harbaugh is right now. jacobs is gonna have the 9er defenders pissed off at rice for giving the freight train some turbo fuel.</P>

Yup, like I said I can't wait for Jacob's reaction. I'm hoping we see it Sunday night. People can say, who cares what Jerry Rice says, but he's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Nobody wants to be called soft, certainly not by an all time great player.</P>

</P>

BParcells777
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Hes right...........Jacobs can run hard but often chooses to go down like a girl

Its a rare day when he wants to rumble anymore

Bradshaw is a killer

burier
01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Well Rice was named the Greatest player of all time by the NFL so I guess he can say whatever he wants.

On the other hand...he did play closer to the Gatorade than the action so...

TuckYou
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Love it. Hope LT talks ish about Alex Smith and how much he sucks.

SackingMyths
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
this is great news for me bc now i fully expect jacobs to go beast mode sunday night. rice just did something the 9ers are feverishly trying not to do; give us bulletain board material. sure he isnt on the team anymore but hes a big a part of that franchise as harbaugh is right now. jacobs is gonna have the 9er defenders pissed off at rice for giving the freight train some turbo fuel.</p>

Yup, like I said I can't wait for Jacob's reaction. I'm hoping we see it Sunday night. People can say, who cares what Jerry Rice says, but he's one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Nobody wants to be called soft, certainly not by an all time great player.</p>

</p>

Agree with OG and 420 on Jacobs. This can't be a bad thing. If anything, this team has difficulty self-motivating and clearly thrive off of external doubt and criticism.

Would love to see BJ put a huge licking on Carlos Rogers to start the game and set the tone. A la Charles Woodson NFCCG '08

BornLegend
01-18-2012, 03:13 PM

</P>

*</P>

Never liked Jerry Rice, still don't. I don't recall Rice ever running over anyone.* </P>I never heard anybody say that they didn't like Jerry Rice. Do you like when LT speaks on behalf of the Giants? Sounds like Rice might be a closet Giants fan trying to fire up the troops. If not, he might be calling out the wrong person.

loaded30
01-18-2012, 03:19 PM
I cant say I totally disagree. Jacobs doesn't run as tough as he used to.+1</P>

But I also believe that hes usually brought in on goal line packages which doesn't really create holes for his big body to get through. AB should come in on goal line packages, and we should use BJ with a 2-3 wide reciever set to spread the defense a little. If I remember correctly, his biggest runs came in those packages. AB can get through those small holes that a goalline package creates.</P>

Denaliman316
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Says the guy who was on Dancing with The Stars.

timmytimm3
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Hynoski was inactive the last time we played too.

Hopefully he can help out the running game.

FLNYGFAN
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't ever remember Brandon Jacobs fumbling the ball when no one was around him.

swordfish
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM

</P>

*</P>

Never liked Jerry Rice, still don't. I don't recall Rice ever running over anyone.* </P>He just ran PAST everyone, this guy is one of the all time greatest players to ever play the game, and his work ethic was second to none. Apparently you are young and never seen Rice play.

DownWitJPP
01-18-2012, 04:46 PM
anyone who has twitter needs to make sure Jacobs hears Rice's comments

Lets Make sure he steam rolls these guys on Sunday

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM

</P>

</P>

Never liked Jerry Rice, still don't. I don't recall Rice ever running over anyone. </P>

</P>

Biggest joke was Rice being called the #1 player in NFL History.</P>

He wasn't even the #1 WR in NFL history....Don Hutson was more dominant in his time.</P>

Denaliman316
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
anyone who has twitter needs to make sure Jacobs hears Rice's comments

Lets Make sure he steam rolls these guys on Sunday

Someone tweeted it to Mike G and he RT'd it.

jomo
01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Grazie Jerry!! [:D]

Roosevelt
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, but I didn't see it. He said he's tired of seeing 180 pound guys bring Jacob's down. I can't say I completely disagree. Sometimes he does go down pretty easy, compared to Bradshaw.</p>

Can't wait to hear his reaction to this one.</p>

</p>

</p>

Never liked Jerry Rice, still don't. I don't recall Rice ever running over anyone. </p>

Dude?

gmen46
01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
BJ Raji called our entire offensive line "soft" last week. Let's ask him how "soft" Jacobs was on that last TD sweep against him and his team mates, shall we?

Scarfacee71
01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Right, that should work.* Have you ever seen him on 2 and short or 3 and short?

Most of the time thats a schematic issue or being outnumbered. As big, strong, and fast as he is if he runs straight into the back of an offensive lineman being stalemated by a heavy defensive lineman its like running into a brick wall, he wont go anywhere.

The 3-4 schematically can be susceptible to interior runs but the 49ers front 7 is just as physical as it is athletic so I dont see either being better than the other.

Scarfacee71
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
I cant say I totally disagree. Jacobs doesn't run as tough as he used to.+1</P>

But I also believe that hes usually brought in on goal line packages which doesn't really create holes for his big body to get through. AB should come in on goal line packages, and we should use BJ with a 2-3 wide reciever set to spread the defense a little. If I remember correctly, his biggest runs came in those packages. AB can get through those small holes that a goalline package creates.</P>

I disagree about Jacobs, I think he's still pretty much the same as the old Jacobs. That said I agree with you about how the backs should be used. Jacobs doesn't get enough touches in regular situations. He's definitely better when theres not a loaded box, we get a body on a body up front, and he gets a couple steps to get rollin.

Harooni
01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
"tip-toe burglar"

lol yeah deon called him that.

Bohemian
01-19-2012, 04:13 AM
This is a bunch of bull. Lets remember the Jets game, and how Jacobs took out Pool on his TD run a few weeks ago.

It is amazing to think of how people expects him to busts people every time he runs the ball. He is not a short distance guy, but when it is completely asked of him, he will certainly do his best to take any tackler backwards. The main problem recently has been the lack of push from the offensive line on the runs down the middle. Jacobs is still Jacobs, and that alone makes every defensive player in the league sweat that much more when facing the Giants... and if that Oline is on their game, then there is no hiding the fact that Jacobs will put someone on their behind at some point in the game.

Lets see the great Jerry Rice stop Jacobs while running straight at him. I know that I would just get out of the way if I was him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqoQ3rwHZuU

Go Blue!

TheEnigma
01-19-2012, 04:22 AM
This is a bunch of bull.* Lets remember the Jets game, and how Jacobs took out Pool on his TD run a few weeks ago.That was actually Bradshaw.

Bohemian
01-19-2012, 04:31 AM
This is a bunch of bull. Lets remember the Jets game, and how Jacobs took out Pool on his TD run a few weeks ago.That was actually Bradshaw.

My bad! Thanks for reminding me. Either way, I am sure that my point still gets across.

Lets remember poor Roman Harper of the Saints.... ouch! Lets see Rice try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeAGEKNLQ8

Go Blue!