PDA

View Full Version : Christie says Giants parade should ONLY be in NJ

GOBIGBLUE52
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/gov_christie_says_a_giants_sup.html

Christie is a self-proclaimed jet fan, I don't think he really has a right to make this determination.

I'm not trying to make this into a war between the NJ and NY Giant fans on this board, because that's wrong, but as a fan living between NYC and Albany my opinion is this: if the giants win another super bowl in the next 3 years or so what's wrong with having the parade in NYC and the rally at the Meadowlands like we did after XLII? Best of both worlds, the championship is celebrated in both states. When I read the "New York Football Giants," I read it as the "New York Metropolitan Area Giants", not the "New York City Giants" or the "New York State Giants". The Giants have always belonged to the metropolitan area, meaning NYC, north Jersey, Connecticut, and the whole area up to and including Albany.

MikeIsaGiant
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd flip if it was in NJ, we have a beautiful city, NY is great for the parade

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd flip if it was in NJ, we have a beautiful city, NY is great for the paradeReally should be both. And I believe they did both or some semblance of it.

But Christie needs to shut it, MR. JET FAN.

JJC7301

Christie is a self-proclaimed jet fan, I don't think he really has a right to make this determination.

I'm not trying to make this into a war between the NJ and NY Giant fans on this board, because that's wrong, but as a fan living between NYC and Albany my opinion is this: if the giants win another super bowl in the next 3 years or so what's wrong with having the parade in NYC and the rally at the Meadowlands like we did after XLII? Best of both worlds, the championship is celebrated in both states. When I read the "New York Football Giants," I read it as the "New York Metropolitan Area Giants", not the "New York City Giants" or the "New York State Giants". The Giants have always belonged to the metropolitan area, meaning NYC, north Jersey, Connecticut, and the whole area up to and including Albany.
</P>

I live in NJ and even I think that is pathetic. Yeah, a ticker-tape parade down the Canyon of Heroes, or a celebration in the parking lot of Giants Stadium (I refuse to call it MetLife) -- what a close call that one is. How about the ticker tape parade, followed by a celebration at Giants Stadium.</P>

bklyn1028
I agree with you.........BUT.........When Wellington Mara moved the jints to the meadowlands, because of restrictions at yankee stadium, he said "This is the NY football Giants, always and forever. The move to the meadowlands was logistical only. they are legally the NY Football Giants. Yes they have tons of fans in Joisey and conn, but for all intents and purposes, they are a NY team. Go ahead, be mad at me. I got cousins who live in Spotswood, God knows why.....lol

BigBlue D
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
I was born and raised in NJ, and I think the Canyon of Champions is the most honorable place for the parade.

UFGiantFan
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately this seems to become an issue each time the Giants have come close to winning the SB, but I'll take the controversy every year.

That said, as a NJ Giant fan, I'd be disappointed if the parade was in Jersey. There's something special about going through the city and Jersey could never duplicate it.

Here's to hoping we see it happen in a few weeks.

CTLadyBlue
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
What a tool! A majority of the fans live in NY.

He saw the turnout in '08 and doesn't want to foot the bill for police, security, cleanup, etc.

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Ed Krotch felt the same way and denied the 86/90 teams a NYC parade. I thought it was great, for the players, the fans, the organization, to have that Canyon of Heroes parade in 2007.

Christie can go to hell on this one, let him take Coach Cryan and Woody Johnson out for donuts or something that morning. Take 'em to Bowcraft and ride the teacups.

http://blog.ctnews.com/jets/files/2011/07/chris.jpg

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM

He saw the turnout in '08 and doesn't want to foot the bill for police, security, cleanup, etc.

Actually last I heard Wellington said the STHs were about 40-40 between NJ and NYC/Westchester and the remaining 20% from CT and other far-away places.

This was when they were planning the new stadium...

GiantWarfare
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Christie's a Jet fan.

'Nuff said.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Actually last I heard Wellington said the STHs were about 40-40 between NJ and NYC/Westchester and the remaining 20% from CT and other far-away places.

What about Long Island and upstate?

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Presumably in that 20% (and not counting Brooklyn/Queens as Long Island but as NYC).

NYG4ME
01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Christie's a Jet fan.

'Nuff said.

+1. Didnt want the Giants before, now wants the revenue from a parade in lieu of their superbowl win? No Christie, the loyal New Jersey, Giants fans will make the trek to the Canyon Of Heroes to give OUR boys the proper celebration!

RoanokeFan
01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
He rooted for the jets in THEIR box, predicting they would beat us. I hope he changes course and calls it for SF

Giantz4Life
01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm from NJ and I think the parade should remain in New York City....it just makes sense. Have a rally at Giants Stadium like 2007/08.

However, I will say that our sports culture in general for New Jersey teams is simply pathetic. Until the Devils moved to the Prudential Center no one was going to the games at the Izod Center. Don't even get me started on the Nets...ever since they lost Kidd, Carter and Jefferson its been the showing of a high school game in terms of fans. It's no wonder they're taking away one of New Jersey's teams and sending them to Brooklyn...a move I'm quite happy about as a Nets fan.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM

Presumably in that 20% (and not counting Brooklyn/Queens as Long Island but as NYC).

So we're comparing NYC + 1 county vs. an entire state? I don't see how that makes sense.

NYG4ME
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Giants Fans in LI? Thought it was all Jets with a few sprinkles of NYG here and there, I know upstate once you get past the Utica/Syracuse area its all Buffalo.

TrueBlue10
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't care where the source of this idea is coming from, but all I know is if they hold a parade in NJ I will drive down there. I love the Giants, and my family is from NYC, but well, I'd much rather go to a parade in NJ!!

Why not just have TWO parades!? Who wouldn't want more celebrations??

Also, talking like this we have officially jinxed the Giants chances. We will now probably lose by 40 points to SF. =(

Weygand
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
He's trying to jinx the Giants....

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

So we're comparing NYC + 1 county vs. an entire state? I don't see how that makes sense.

I'm not making up data, I'm telling you where the Giants said the Season Ticket Holders were located.

Or are you surprised that only 20% of the fanbase would be coming from 3+ hours away? Do you really think there are that many season ticket holders in Nassau, Suffolk, and upstate NY, and CT?

Weygand
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Giants Fans in LI? Thought it was all Jets with a few sprinkles of NYG here and there, I know upstate once you get past the Utica/Syracuse area its all Buffalo.

Stealing your animated .gif

Weygand
01-18-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm from NJ and I think the parade should remain in New York City....it just makes sense. Have a rally at Giants Stadium like 2007/08.

However, I will say that our sports culture in general for New Jersey teams is simply pathetic. Until the Devils moved to the Prudential Center no one was going to the games at the Izod Center. Don't even get me started on the Nets...ever since they lost Kidd, Carter and Jefferson its been the showing of a high school game in terms of fans. It's no wonder they're taking away one of New Jersey's teams and sending them to Brooklyn...a move I'm quite happy about as a Nets fan.

Off topic...I used to live right by the hotel where the sublime singer ODd

Itlan
01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
I live 10 minutes from the Meadowlands and 10 mins from NYC. I don't care either way lol.

mitchmac
01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
What a tool! A majority of the fans live in NY. He saw the turnout in '08 and doesn't want to foot the bill for police, security, cleanup, etc.</P>

</P>

Eh...you're aware Christie is the governor of New Jersey, right?</P>

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't care where the source of this idea is coming from, but all I know is if they hold a parade in NJ I will drive down there. I love the Giants, and my family is from NYC, but well, I'd much rather go to a parade in NJ!!

Why not just have TWO parades!? Who wouldn't want more celebrations??

This. I live in jersey and really wanted to go to the parade in the city but look at how many people were there on the Fox 5 coverage, no point, and you would have to be there the night before to be in front and there'd be no way to get out in time to get to the stadium...

Went to the stadium rally instead, they all said the same stuff and did the same things, and you got to soak it in in Giants Stadium. Not really a parade but a rally... They set up a platform/podium on the field and march them in when they're done with the NYC parade. It was sweet soaking that all in, I stayed at the stadium glowing for about an hour after it was all done.

And yes we are jinxing things two wins short...

gmen0820
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
He can tell his butt buddy Woodie Johnson to have their parade in NJ.

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm not making up data, I'm telling you where the Giants said the Season Ticket Holders were located.*

Or are you surprised that only 20% of the fanbase would be coming from 3+ hours away?

I'm not arguing the data- I just don't see how fact that NYC/Westchester and NJ are roughly equal means that the number of fans from NY and NJ are equal. The original post you replied to was that most fans come from NY state. As far as I can tell, that is still true.

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not arguing the data- I just don't see how fact that NYC/Westchester and NJ are roughly equal means that the number of fans from NY and NJ are equal. The original post you replied to was that most fans come from NY state. As far as I can tell, that is still true.

Well I don't know how to tell where the fans are from, there is no data on that -- only on where the paying season ticket holders are from. I would assume the STH data has some correlation to the fanbase at large as Wellington used that data to keep the new stadium in the Meadowlands (where it's still easy access to the NJ, NYC, and Westchester fans) and not move somewhere else.

I would also add that almost half of NY state's population is in NYC, the rest of the state is very sparsely populated and as near away as Albany the fan base starts fading to Buffalo. And once you get to CT/RI it starts fading to New England.

We're arguing over where the remaining 20% of the STHs come from and the choices are:

<ul> Nassau/Suffolk Upstate (all of it but realistically within a 90 mile-ish radius) CT RI South Jersey Pennsylvania Even further away such as VA/NC/SC/VT/NH, there are people who keep their tix even when they move away.
[/list]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/New_York_Population_Map.png

Cio7760

I completely agree with this.....the Giants represent the NY metropolitan area....but although they are based in NJ, they have historically been the NY Giants. I'm a proud NJ resident, but you can't take away the history aspect.....why can't we do it the way it was the last time? I think it's classic to have the parade in NYC....and then have a rally in NJ Meadowlands.</P>

njsean
Man I cant stand Christie.

I really, really loathe that man as a consumer of oxygen.

That said, I'm a lifelong resident of Jersey, and I was thrilled to take the train up to the city after SB42. I loved being in that crowd.

If I'm ever so fortunate again to have that opportunity, that's where I want to go again.

jomo
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I like Christie but it is really a dumb argument. NJ gets the economic benefit of the games (hotels, bars and restaurants etc) and NY gets the parade. Part of the economic benefit derived by NJ flows from them being the NY Giants. When I lived in Newark, I went to NY for parades all the time and never thought twice about it. It is all one big metropolitain area and only the politicians get hung up on that stuff.

GMenNY21
01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I hate this parade location talk. We haven't won anything yet

SweetZombieJesus
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I like Christie but it is really a dumb argument. NJ gets the economic benefit of the games (hotels, bars and restaurants etc) and NY gets the parade. Part of the economic benefit derived by NJ flows from them being the NY Giants. When I lived in Newark, I went to NY for parades all the time and never thought twice about it. It is all one big metropolitain area and only the politicians get hung up on that stuff.

Exactly. If you're a visitor from France you look at the whole area and you see the skylines of Jersey City and Hoboken building up and meshing with what's going on across the Hudson... Half of Ellis Island belongs to NY, half to NJ. Over there is Brooklyn, over there is Jersey City, the Statue is closer to NJ but belongs to NY (or does it), Staten Island is NYC but it's over further south into Jersey than Fort Lee/Jersey City/Hoboken... Look at a map and Giants Stadium is closer to lower Manhattan than Yankee Stadium is. It's all one big metro area and the politicians are the ones with the squabbling.

G-Man67
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
1st off, why in the heck is anyone talking parades? ... channeling my inner Jim Mora "PARADES, ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME, PARADES!!, PARADES!!!"

2nd listen i live in NJ and i was on board with the notion way back in the day that the Giants would simply be called the Giants, not NYG, but the reality is they are the New York Football Giants fine with me ... IF this were to become real, then the way they did it last time is fine with me

Kase-1
01-18-2012, 04:21 PM

LOL, there are a TON of Giants fans on LI, just as much as anywhere else in the Tri-State. Its ridiculous when people try to say certain areas of the Tri State are Jets or Giants areas, cause its just not true. There are Giants n Jets fans all over

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Exactly.* If you're a visitor from France you look at the whole area and you see the skylines of Jersey City and Hoboken building up and meshing with what's going on across the Hudson...* Half of Ellis Island belongs to NY, half to NJ.* Over there is Brooklyn, over there is Jersey City, the Statue is closer to NJ but belongs to NY (or does it), Staten Island is NYC but it's over further south into Jersey than Fort Lee/Jersey City/Hoboken...* Look at a map and Giants Stadium is closer to lower Manhattan than Yankee Stadium is.* It's all one big metro area and the politicians are the ones with the squabbling.

Except that there's one person who the geographic divide matters a whole lot to, and that's Chris Christie (and other politicians)

Gianthunter
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Christie is the middle born son always trying to be relevant. He should team up with Tivi Babble.