PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote by Patrick Willis on Eli

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Willis said when he got on the team with Eli in his freshman year that he thought Eli was the best QB he had seen.

Reporter asked: why did he think Eli was the best qb that he has seen?

Willis Said : Because he was WINNING games!

That says it all.

Rudyy
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
And that's what matters.
I want a quarterback who wins games.
And we have one :) -sheds tear-

DemandedAce
01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
And that's what matters.
I want a quarterback who wins games.
And we have one :) -sheds tear-

Beautiful sentiments my friend

jhamburg
01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm a big Willis fan, especially after hearing his back story.

Like every other team in the league I'd love to see him in our uniform.

bflo23
01-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Now he has a QB that doesn't turn the ball over much..... according to 49er fans.

Pakman
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Now he has a QB that doesn't turn the ball over much..... according to 49er fans.

5 interceptions confirms what they say

giantsfan420
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM

5 interceptions confirms what they say

and not the 60+ints compared to -60 tds?

u do know he has a worse td to int ratio even after only throwing 5 picks this year...

guys had a cinderella season...the clock strikes midnight early sunday night san frannie time...

EliTE
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
pretty much. i've watched a few 9ers games this year and although he is obviously talented he is a system QB. harbaugh is making it as easy as possible on him. all short, quick throws. another thing i noticed is he never reads the defense and never adjusts to blitzes. several times on 3rd down the saints showed blitz and smith dropped back and was sacked immediately.

in comparison to eli who reads the defense on practically every single play and points out adjustments to the oline and receivers based on what he thinks the D will do.

that is one big advantage i think we have in this game, a much better QB in general but especially in the sense of checking into the right play, or simply knowing a blitz is coming and being ready to get the ball out quick.

Scarfacee71
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
We picked around 20th that year. As a matter of fact I'm almost positive we picked 20th (Aaron Ross).

I remember in the months leading up to the draft Patrick Willis was expected to go somewhere around 20. As the draft approached his stock kept rising way out of reach of where we were picking. I still wanted to trade up for him if he wasn't taken in the top 10. I cant ever remember wanting to draft a player as bad as I wanted Willis. Oh well.

I actually did a few 32 person mock drafts where each person drafts for the team they're a fan of and twice I got Willis at 20. Would've been cool if that happened in real life lol. Love that guy

n0b0dy
01-18-2012, 06:28 PM
"and not the 60+ints compared to -60 tds?

u do know he has a worse td to int ratio even after only throwing 5 picks this year...

guys had a cinderella season...the clock strikes midnight early sunday night san frannie time...

"

No he doesn't. He has a career 68 TDs to 58 INTs in the regular season. Pretty bad for sure, but he has time to make it up.

In any event, the 49ers really respect Eli Manning, as do I. Alex Smith at his press pass today said he was really tough, saying Eli had to go through a lot being the little brother to arguably the best QB in the game and having to go to a big city like NY.

DragonSoul
01-18-2012, 06:34 PM

"

No he doesn't.* He has a career 68 TDs to 58 INTs in the regular season.* Pretty bad for sure, but he has time to make it up.

In any event, the 49ers really respect Eli Manning, as do I.* Alex Smith at his press pass today said he was really tough, saying Eli had to go through a lot being the little brother to arguably the best QB in the game and having to go to a big city like NY.*
Smith before this year was 48 tds-52 ints in the regular season. Combine this year and he is 68 tds to 57ints

He still has a chance. We shall see during the remainder of the playoff run & have a better idea next year.

giantsfan420
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM

"

No he doesn't.* He has a career 68 TDs to 58 INTs in the regular season.* Pretty bad for sure, but he has time to make it up.

In any event, the 49ers really respect Eli Manning, as do I.* Alex Smith at his press pass today said he was really tough, saying Eli had to go through a lot being the little brother to arguably the best QB in the game and having to go to a big city like NY.*

oh my bad i factored this years stats into it wrongly. heck i really respect what the 9ers have done but something no one seems to want to admit or discuss is:

smith is a system qb much like dilfer for baltimore. sure he came up big in the 4th, but how much was him and how much was vernon davis going off??

secondly, the 9ers were supposed to be good for 5 years now. weak division plus at the time oober talent. ur windows closing. gores getting up there in age, justin smith is...dont get me wrong u guys will have talent, just not as much as u had this year.

but the most important is the alex smith factor. we absolutely crush teams who dont throw down field more than 20 yards...see sanchez and m.ryan...thats all smith throws really is short to intermediate stuff.

u guys WILL NOT have a bunch of 15 play 6 min touchdown drives...ur gonna need a few big plays at some point to just even keep up with us.

much respect to ur team/coach...but the cindererlla story ends sunday night. sorry. just how i feel and that sux for u guys bc i've been spot on all year

n0b0dy
01-18-2012, 07:08 PM

"

No he doesn't. He has a career 68 TDs to 58 INTs in the regular season. Pretty bad for sure, but he has time to make it up.

In any event, the 49ers really respect Eli Manning, as do I. Alex Smith at his press pass today said he was really tough, saying Eli had to go through a lot being the little brother to arguably the best QB in the game and having to go to a big city like NY.

oh my bad i factored this years stats into it wrongly. heck i really respect what the 9ers have done but something no one seems to want to admit or discuss is:

smith is a system qb much like dilfer for baltimore. sure he came up big in the 4th, but how much was him and how much was vernon davis going off??

secondly, the 9ers were supposed to be good for 5 years now. weak division plus at the time oober talent. ur windows closing. gores getting up there in age, justin smith is...dont get me wrong u guys will have talent, just not as much as u had this year.

but the most important is the alex smith factor. we absolutely crush teams who dont throw down field more than 20 yards...see sanchez and m.ryan...thats all smith throws really is short to intermediate stuff.

u guys WILL NOT have a bunch of 15 play 6 min touchdown drives...ur gonna need a few big plays at some point to just even keep up with us.

much respect to ur team/coach...but the cindererlla story ends sunday night. sorry. just how i feel and that sux for u guys bc i've been spot on all year

Well, then I wish you the best of luck with your career selling your Vegas picks. Quite a lot of the Saints game was Smith, in fact it was moreso about Smith than Davis. Davis is probably the fastest running tight end in the league, but he has poor hands and is an average route runner. Smith made quite a few long passes that game without factoring in YAC (see a the go-route to Vernon that set up the 28 yard run).

There is nothing wrong with being a system quarterback - it depends on the system you've installed. Some systems are more complex than others. Peyton Manning is a "system quarterback," but that system happens to be extremely difficult to master (and only he has mastered it). Joe Montana succeeded by working within his system. I've heard many pundits say that Harbaugh has "dumbed it down" for Smith, but I really don't see it. He lets Smith audible out of plays, calls multiple plays in the huddle, and the playbook is extremely thick. Ten games into the season, they had only installed 40% of the offense according to interviews.

I'm not sure how expectations in past seasons plays into this Sunday's game - perhaps you can clear that up for me. Alex Smith is 27, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis and Joe Staley are locked up through 2015-2017 respectively. We have a great rookie running back and some pretty solid core elements. Plus Jim Harbaugh for at least the next five years and Trent Baalke - which is the most important thing. I agree we will lose some key players from this year - Dashon Goldson wants Eric Weddle money and we probably can't afford that (if we get him back it'll be via franchise tag) and I don't see Carlos Rogers repeating this season. That being said, I still don't see how this discussion plays into this Sunday.

Many teams have crushed Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez because they are bad/overrated quarterbacks. You don't have to apologize for how you feel, but the premises you've laid out aren't particularly convincing or relevant.

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM

"

Well, then I wish you the best of luck with your career selling your Vegas picks.* Quite a lot of the Saints game was Smith, in fact it was moreso about Smith than Davis.* Davis is probably the fastest running tight end in the league, but he has poor hands and is an average route runner.* Smith made quite a few long passes that game without factoring in YAC (see a the go-route to Vernon that set up the 28 yard run).

There is nothing wrong with being a system quarterback - it depends on the system you've installed.* Some systems are more complex than others.* Peyton Manning is a "system quarterback," but that system happens to be extremely difficult to master (and only he has mastered it).* Joe Montana succeeded by working within his system.* I've heard many pundits say that Harbaugh has "dumbed it down" for Smith, but I really don't see it.* He lets Smith audible out of plays, calls multiple plays in the huddle, and the playbook is extremely thick.* Ten games into the season, they had only installed 40% of the offense according to interviews.

I'm not sure how expectations in past seasons plays into this Sunday's game - perhaps you can clear that up for me.* Alex Smith is 27, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis and Joe Staley are locked up through 2015-2017 respectively.* We have a great rookie running back and some pretty solid core elements.* Plus Jim Harbaugh for at least the next five years and Trent Baalke - which is the most important thing.* I agree we will lose some key players from this year - Dashon Goldson wants Eric Weddle money and we probably can't afford that (if we get him back it'll be via franchise tag) and I don't see Carlos Rogers repeating this season.* That being said, I still don't see how this discussion plays into this Sunday.*

Many teams have crushed Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez because they are bad/overrated quarterbacks.* You don't have to apologize for how you feel, but the premises you've laid out aren't particularly convincing or relevant.

Last I heard, Rogers wants to finish his career with the Niners, shouldn't be too hard to retain him.

EliTE
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
what was the reasoning behind smith not reading the obvious blitzes the saints were sending in nearly every passing situation? he got creamed for big loss sacks plenty of times in the game. lucky for the 9ers the saints couldn't stop fumbling the ball.

Firenugget
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
what was the reasoning behind smith not reading the obvious blitzes the saints were sending in nearly every passing situation? he got creamed for big loss sacks plenty of times in the game. lucky for the 9ers the saints couldn't stop fumbling the ball.

Because he's bad. He'll find that out again soon enough.

n0b0dy
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

There are two elements to pass protection: predicting the defense's scheme and being able to pick them up. I'm sure Smith knew there were blitzes. I don't think there was a play the Saints didn't blitz. That being said, our front just didn't execute as much as it should have, which has been a challenge all year. One sack comes to mind where they overloaded the right side and I think it was Roman Harper who got free when Anthony Davis didn't beat his assignment and Frank Gore also missed his assignment.

Secondly, yes, there is an element to timeliness when getting fumbles, but make no mistake. The 49ers practice stripping the ball all the time. As spectators, we can often rationalize fumbles as mental lapses by the fumbler, but most of the fumbles that the 49ers recover are strips.

JayDAche
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM

This has been a problem all year.
I'm not sure why, but we never send Gore out as a quick outlet to beat the blitz.

He is left in the backfield and typically doesn't pick up a block anyway.

Voldamort
01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Willis is right ELI is a Great qb

derekunion28
01-18-2012, 08:06 PM
willis is a monster and anyone thats a fan would love to have a sleepover with him and watch red dawn with cookies and milk

JMFP2
01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Willis said when he got on the team with Eli in his freshman year that he thought Eli was the best QB he had seen. Reporter asked: why did he think Eli was the best qb that he has seen? Willis Said : Because he was WINNING games! That says it all.</P>

The reporter missed a glorious chance to exclaim....</P>

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xpadHP2LoUA/S24wVInaCCI/AAAAAAAAAq0/Qq2pMnWqOCM/S1600-R/original.jpg</P>

Harooni
01-18-2012, 09:53 PM
poor guy , he may need lasik .