PDA

View Full Version : JR's pick for Coughlin's Successor, Gilbride & Fewell leaving?

Overdrive92
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
From a video on NFL.com, NFL insider Jason La Canfora has news on the Giants coaching staff.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/09000d5d8261e181/Coaches-on-the-move

Starting with Kevin Gilbride, he says that Gilbride could be the next head coach out in Oakland, and he may interview out there once the Giants' season ends.

As for Perry Fewell, he says that he is a hot coaching candidate down in Tampa Bay and the Bucs might be waiting for the Giants' season to end before they interview him. However, he also says that if Coughlin retires soon, Jerry Reese is very high on making Fewell the next Giants head coach, becoming Coughlin's successor!

Thoughts?

Firenugget
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't know if Fewell would be the best choice and frankly the owners would decide that anyways, not Reese. He can have an input I'm sure but the owners will get the guy they think is right.

Gmen2005
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
I actually would rather not lose Gilbride. As for Fewell, he has adjusted for the players benefit and it seems to be working. If they continue to have success, I'd keep them both.

NYfanatic
01-18-2012, 10:28 PM
The longer Coughlin stays the more guys (Fewell, Gilbride) will leave and we will have new coaching candidates again...

Martyr
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd rather see Gilbride be the head coach over Fewell

Giants10Joe
01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I think Coughlin will stay at least a few more years. I hope he stays a while. When he does retire (or as the NY Post and Daily News seem to love to claim, gets fired) they'll probably interview whoever the OC and DC are at the time, Spags if he's not a head coach, some big name guys like Cowher, and maybe some other OC or DC.

JJC7301
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
The longer Coughlin stays the more guys (Fewell, Gilbride) will leave and we will have new coaching candidates again...

I prefer TC to stick around more than anyone else. I've always liked KG and Fewell has won me over with the recent play of the D, but in terms of our coaching TC is the key.

If Fewell becomes the HC, I say ask Spags to come back as DC.

nygfan7387
01-18-2012, 11:19 PM
I'll tell you right now, our next HC is either going to be Cowher, or Spags...

T.Rice57
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM

I prefer TC to stick around more than anyone else. I've always liked KG and Fewell has won me over with the recent play of the D, but in terms of our coaching TC is the key.

I'm not a fan of Gilbride or Fewell. If either of them become our head coach I will cry.

wrekkincrew
01-18-2012, 11:25 PM

I'm not a fan of Gilbride or Fewell. If either of them become our head coach I will cry.

Agreed!

BrianK
01-18-2012, 11:35 PM

I'm not a fan of Gilbride or Fewell.* If either of them become our head coach I will cry.

But the front office sees how these coaches interact with the players and how the players respond. They can also talk with the players and a get a feel for how much respect the players have for Fewell/Glibride. That would go a long way into the decision making and we as fans don't have any of that type insight.....

NWKEffectElement
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
If Gilbride becomes the HC he will not have the same success TC had. He doesn't have the temperament to be a good HC in NY. He is arrogant, short tempered, and stubborn.

Overdrive92
01-18-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd rather Fewell becomes the next head coach rather than Gilbride. The players really love playing for Fewell and play hard for him.

I'm sure they like Gilbride too, but I can't imagine him instilling the same kind of fire in his team that Fewell would.

BornLegend
01-19-2012, 12:12 AM

I'm not a fan of Gilbride or Fewell.* If either of them become our head coach I will cry.

But the front office sees how these coaches interact with the players and how the players respond. They can also talk with the players and a get a feel for how much respect the players have for Fewell/Glibride. That would go a long way into the decision making and we as fans don't have any of that type insight.....Exactly. Who cares who the fans like... it's about who the players like.

slipknottin
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
I swear Gilbride is mentioned as the next potential coach of oakland every offseason.

Pakman
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I swear Gilbride is mentioned as the next potential coach of oakland every offseason.

LOL I was going to say the same thing

ghwriter1976
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM
If Fewell goes to Tampa Bay, then they should bring Spags in with the stipulation that he take over as DC for a couple years, get a stronger grip on coaching and let Coughlin groom him to take over once he retires. It'll be like the Jay Leno deal from the early 90s. "As soon as Carson retires, whenever that may be, you're the man."

LT_was_good
01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
It's funny how things change in a few weeks. Before the Jets game, I figured we'd blow up the team/coaching staff after the season and I was all for it. Now with our success, I'm worried the team/coaching staff will be blown up with coaches getting promotions and players wanting more money.

SweetZombieJesus
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
It's funny how things change in a few weeks. Before the Jets game, I figured we'd blow up the team/coaching staff after the season and I was all for it. Now with our success, I'm worried the team/coaching staff will be blown up with coaches getting promotions and players wanting more money.

if Tom retires and one or more assistants get new jobs, we may get a new staff anyway. Life is funny, same result if they bomb or go all the way...