PDA

View Full Version : Baseball/Football card collectors? Share some of your great collections

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g458/The_Mossberg500/Football%20Cards Some of my football cards.

I'll have to go through more and actually label them. Right now, I'd have to say, so far my Pete Rose autographed, 5 of 10 with game worn jersey, is the most expensive card I have now.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g458/The_Mossberg500/Baseball%20Cards/101811163524.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g458/The_Mossberg500/Baseball%20Cards/101811163602.jpg

I'll also be taking pictures of all the comics I have (yes, I have Marvel trading cards too that are worth a lot, haha).

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Damn it, the board doesn't even resize the damn thing.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Oh, and then there was this card http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g458/The_Mossberg500/Football%20Cards/101811172647.jpg

myles2424
10-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Haven't screwed with buying packs of cards since I was a kid.....but I do have quite the collection of high end psa graded vintage baseball & football cards...

shockeyg
10-28-2011, 04:52 AM
While not a "typical" football card. My wifes Grandfather knew Vince Lambardi and was at his funeral . I have the Mass card from his funeral .

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Haven't screwed with buying packs of cards since I was a kid.....but I do have quite the collection of high end psa graded vintage baseball & football cards...Post'em up bro. I can't even figure out how much that Pete Rose card costs..I think I'd havve to get an estimate.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
While not a "typical" football card. My wifes Grandfather knew Vince Lambardi and was at his funeral . I have the Mass card from his funeral .Wow, that's really cool. Did he ever tell you stories about him personally?

My mother and her sister met a lot of the Yankees in the 60's when they'd go to games. They'd either talk to you at the game, or they'd run into them in the parking lot.

Things were so laid back then, now you can't even watch the Yankees enter or exit the stadium anymore because of jack asses.

shockeyg
11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
While not a "typical" football card. My wifes Grandfather knew Vince Lambardi and was at his funeral . I have the Mass card from his funeral .Wow, that's really cool. Did he ever tell you stories about him personally?

My mother and her sister met a lot of the Yankees in the 60's when they'd go to games. They'd either talk to you at the game, or they'd run into them in the parking lot.

Things were so laid back then, now you can't even watch the Yankees enter or exit the stadium anymore because of jack asses.
Yeah people seem to ruin things for everyone now a days.

ccolwell
11-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey guys! My name is Chris and I have been reading these boards for about 2 years now. I'm a big GIANTS fan and just wanted to show off some of my stuff and sort of use this thread to introduce myself.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0036-1-1.jpghttp://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0065-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0033-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0050-1-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0039-2.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0041-1.jpghttp://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0039.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0079-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/scan0034-1.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/colwellpa1309/Football%20PC/humph.jpg

Thanks for looking!!! Go GIANTS!!!

JPizzack
11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
yaaaoo</P>

I haventcollected anything in YEARS...like probably 15 years....but I did get my hands on some awesome stuff as a kid.
(at work so i cant show pics rt now)

-I have a 69 Mickey Mantle
-I have the 89 UD Griffey Jr. RC which took me like 3 years to get by spending all my allowance on packs when the card shop found unopened boxes on ocassion. lol
-71 Topps Roberto Clemente
-(ppl laugh at this one) i have a PSA 9 1986 Fleer Spud Webb RC (same year as the Jordan RC). For some reason, it's actually worth some money lol
-I have an Autographed 95 UD Ken Griffey Jr. card!

Junior is my all time favorite baseball player ;)

And despite it's lack of value, i have a binder full of only Michael Jordan cards, probably about 150 of them....and about 30 MJ cards that i considered "case worthy" at the time I got them cuz they were worth a bit more.
Of course now, half this stuff is worth garbage. But it kept me out of trouble as a kid as I had a hobby lol.</P>

NYfanatic
12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I have:
- Autographed Curtis Lofton card
- Tim Tebow jersey card
- Eli manning Jersey card
- Hakeem Nicks Jersey card
- JPP autographed card
- Larry Fitzgerald jersey card
- Derek Anderson jersey card
- Mark Teixera Jersey card
Thats the best I got.

CruzMissle
12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
My dad has the All Star Rookie Thurmon Munson card. My grandfather had a Mickey Mantle [it MIGHT be a rookie] but we're not exactly sure who's in possession of that now.

Tons of the Dynasty 90's Yankees cards, namely the Topps Derek Jeter rookie card and some of the 80's/early 90's Giants, namely the Strahan/Marcus Buckley duo rookie card from 93' I believe.

Other non Giant/Yankees goodies--

Jeff Bagwell rookie
random Jordans
Malik Sealy
Frank Thomas rookie
two Ken Griffey Jr. rookies
Andruw Jones rookie lol at the time it was something
Reggie Jackson card but he's on the Angels in 84
83' Mike Schmidt card
golden All NFL Team Barry Sanders
Orel Hershisher on the Indians
Mark McGwire on the A's
Marshall Faulk rookie
Jerome Bettis rookie
Rey Ordonez rookie LOL remember when he was gonna be better than Jeter?
Juan Gonzales rookie [not the inverted one sadly]

and a ton more but those are the best I guess. never spent too much on my card hobby but i always liked collecting them as a kid.

mr.hiroki
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
nice cards. i like em all, but i don't place the same value on em. autographs are cool, but i won't pay for em. the jersey cards with the little pieces of cut up jersey are a such a waste of money imo. they take a game worn jersey that could sell for $400-$1000, they cut it up into a bunch of little pieces, put the little pieces in cards and then people are silly enough to pay $50+ a card and they help establish a ludicrous value. then take into account that they have some players wear multiple jerseys during the same game on purpose (especially during pro bowls,) just to say the jersey was 'game worn,' and then they ask ludicrous amounts of money for them.</P>

no kid or their parents for that matter can comfortably part with that much money. only the corporate types. takes the fun out out of it for me as a collector.</P>

that being said i have quite a few cards from 1998 to about 2002 or so. i am a huge walter payton fan and would love to have his autograph, but i haven't found one that i liked that much, and all the really good ones go for $150+. one day i may go for it, as i can see paying for his sig since he is no longer with us. i probably have about 300+ walter payton cards, and that is not exaggerating. i have 6 of those single column collector boxes filled with payton cards that are in the semi-thick protective cases.</P>

i also have a few of the philadelphia cards. bart starr, mike ditka, and 2 others. they look really cool, i appreciate that they were made before i was even a thought.</P>

mr.hiroki
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
My dad has the All Star Rookie Thurmon Munson card. My grandfather had a Mickey Mantle [it MIGHT be a rookie] but we're not exactly sure who's in possession of that now. Tons of the Dynasty 90's Yankees cards, namely the Topps Derek Jeter rookie card and some of the 80's/early 90's Giants, namely the Strahan/Marcus Buckley duo rookie card from 93' I believe. Other non Giant/Yankees goodies-- Jeff Bagwell rookie random Jordans Malik Sealy Frank Thomas rookie two Ken Griffey Jr. rookies Andruw Jones rookie lol at the time it was something Reggie Jackson card but he's on the Angels in 84 83' Mike Schmidt card golden All NFL Team Barry Sanders Orel Hershisher on the Indians Mark McGwire on the A's Marshall Faulk rookie Jerome Bettis rookie Rey Ordonez rookie LOL remember when he was gonna be better than Jeter? Juan Gonzales rookie [not the inverted one sadly] and a ton more but those are the best I guess. never spent too much on my card hobby but i always liked collecting them as a kid.</P>

hey that juan gonzalez card; are you talking about the red bordered donruss card that has him batting one way on the correct card, and the flipped image on the incorrect card? if so I have one of each that I would part with for a reasonable $$$. not a huge baseball fan, but its the only card that i have boththe correct &amp; incorrect versions of.</P>

CruzMissle
01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that's the one. It was folk lore of the highest degree back in the 90s when I was a kid. Dunno if it's still that highly valued. Afterall, I don't think he really took off like he was supposed to.

There was also a flipped Frank Thomas card that was rumored to be floating around.

Would love to see pic's if you can ever get one up of the Juan Gonzales, never did get to see one.

And I also agree with you about the autographed cards and such, I mean they're great but unless you got them autographed yourself I don't see the reason. And the jersey ones are neat too, but again, unless the player actually gives you that stuff -- why spend the money?

Rookie cards are where it's at with card collecting; and also having whole sets whether of a certain team or for example; the entire 1999 Upper Deck set.

mr.hiroki
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah, that's the one. It was folk lore of the highest degree back in the 90s when I was a kid. Dunno if it's still that highly valued. Afterall, I don't think he really took off like he was supposed to. There was also a flipped Frank Thomas card that was rumored to be floating around. Would love to see pic's if you can ever get one up of the Juan Gonzales, never did get to see one. And I also agree with you about the autographed cards and such, I mean they're great but unless you got them autographed yourself I don't see the reason. And the jersey ones are neat too, but again, unless the player actually gives you that stuff -- why spend the money? Rookie cards are where it's at with card collecting; and also having whole sets whether of a certain team or for example; the entire 1999 Upper Deck set.</P>

i'm not sure how to post pictures, if i was, it would be no problem, and i'd like to, but idk how [:(]</P>

the rookie cards are even gimmicky, as only thelimited print/numbered rookie cards are worth the real loot, and the only way you really make out on those is if you get one from a pack you opened yourself, because if you buy the cardindividually after someone else got it out of a pack, they're gonna want the $$$ that it's listed for. Some of the rookie cards are outrageous too, player hasn't played a down, yet his rookie card that is numbered to 250 is worth $100+ right from the pack......say you spend the $100 or even get a dealand pick it up for $70, unless the player is the next peyton manning, that card will either lose value or level out at around what you paid for it. if you crack cases/boxes to try to find these cards yourself, that is also very costly. the main way to make money on cards is to luck out and get some nice cards in your packs or you buy someone elses cards when they are down on thier luck aka selling cheap. theres also the occasional person who has no idea what they have, but those people are a dying breed, lol.</P>

it would be nice to get back into picking up a complete set each year, the problem is the different sets have a few different players, so you'd have to pick up multiple sets and/or team sets to get all the players. do you remember the billy ripken '**** face,' card? i don't have any of those, but i do have a handful of baseball cards laying around somewhere. i most like to collect walter payton, and insert sets........ooooh, shiney, lol. [:D]</P>

patsrule666
02-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Haven't screwed with buying packs of cards since I was a kid.....but I do have quite the collection of high end psa graded vintage baseball & football cards...Post'em up bro. I can't even figure out how much that Pete Rose card costs..I think I'd havve to get an estimate.
I would put a rough estimate of $250 on the Pete Rose Card..I have been collecting all sorts of things for over 40 years now. I have a pretty extensive collection. Vintage and rookie cards is where its at...Nice stuff guys...Good luck tomorrow.

mr.hiroki
02-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Haven't screwed with buying packs of cards since I was a kid.....but I do have quite the collection of high end psa graded vintage baseball &amp; football cards...Post'em up bro. I can't even figure out how much that Pete Rose card costs..I think I'd havve to get an estimate.
I would put a rough estimate of $250 on the Pete Rose Card..I have been collecting all sorts of things for over 40 years now. I have a pretty extensive collection. Vintage and rookie cards is where its at...Nice stuff guys...Good luck tomorrow.</P>

without the swatch, they go for as little as $50 or as much as: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Pete-Rose-Diamond-Kings-Auto-Patch-SP-10-BGS-9-5-10-Donruss-Threads-/400264321345?_trksid=p4340.m185&amp;_trkparms=algo%3DS IC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmo d%3D260931019912%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6097967242994 042476</P>

i doubt the card will sell for that $499 in this market. i personally place no value whatsoever on autographs that are placed on stickers and then the stickers are placed on the cards. the player gets mailed a sheet(s) they sign all the little stickers and send it back, i would imagine that an authenticator/agent may be present when they're being autographed.</P>

patsrule666
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I would put a rough estimate of $250 on the Pete Rose Card..I have been collecting all sorts of things for over 40 years now. I have a pretty extensive collection. Vintage and rookie cards is where its at...Nice stuff guys...Good luck tomorrow.</P>

without the swatch, they go for as little as $50 or as much as: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Pete-Rose-Diamond-Kings-Auto-Patch-SP-10-BGS-9-5-10-Donruss-Threads-/400264321345?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3D UA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D260931019912%26ps%3D63%26clk id%3D6097967242994042476</P>

i doubt the card will sell for that $499 in this market. i personally place no value whatsoever on autographs that are placed on stickers and then the stickers are placed on the cards. the player gets mailed a sheet(s) they sign all the little stickers and send it back, i would imagine that an authenticator/agent may be present when they're being autographed.</P>The rough estimate was my guess as to what the ungraded version may be valued at in the Beckett Price Guide. There is one numbered out of /75 from the same set that lists for $150...Cards numbered under /25 are not listed so you kind of have to wing it there..Your right though, a card is really only worth what someone is ultimately willing to pay for it..I have been doing on card through the mail autos for years..I also have been studying and authenticating my own stuff since the 70's...Just got a nice Peyton Manning back in the mail a few days ago..If i have time at some point in the future, i will post some pics of a few...

mr.hiroki
02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Haven't screwed with buying packs of cards since I was a kid.....but I do have quite the collection of high end psa graded vintage baseball &amp; football cards...Post'em up bro. I can't even figure out how much that Pete Rose card costs..I think I'd havve to get an estimate.

without the swatch, they go for as little as $50 or as much as: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Pete-Rose-Diamond-Kings-Auto-Patch-SP-10-BGS-9-5-10-Donruss-Threads-/400264321345?_trksid=p4340.m185&amp;_trkparms=algo%3DS IC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmo d%3D260931019912%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6097967242994 042476</P>

i doubt the card will sell for that $499 in this market. i personally place no value whatsoever on autographs that are placed on stickers and then the stickers are placed on the cards. the player gets mailed a sheet(s) they sign all the little stickers and send it back, i would imagine that an authenticator/agent may be present when they're being autographed.</P>

The rough estimate was my guess as to what the ungraded version may be valued at in the Beckett Price Guide. There is one numbered out of /75 from the same set that lists for $150...Cards numbered under /25 are not listed so you kind of have to wing it there..Your right though, a card is really only worth what someone is ultimately willing to pay for it..I have been doing on card through the mail autos for years..I also have been studying and authenticating my own stuff since the 70's...Just got a nice Peyton Manning back in the mail a few days ago..If i have time at some point in the future, i will post some pics of a few...</P>

thats cool, i'd love to see it. peyton was my favorite qb until eli signed on with the giants. i collect payton also, walter payton, lol. i have collected in a few years but i have quite a few of them. i like them alot, their monetaryvalue means little to me, yet i feel like a little kid when i get em out and go through em. have em all in nice protectors so i can check em out whenever without damaging them. i'll have to try to post a few pics as well. let me take a look and see what pics are on my pc right now:</P>

[https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426067_2282347957525_1813624045_1414218_1654170690 _n.jpg]</P>