PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Backs

Giants10Joe
01-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Is it just me or does it always seem like our defensive backs are positioned one or two yards behind the first down line, especially on 2 or 3rd and long? I've noticed that opposing players frequently catch the ball either at the first down line or a few steps in front of it and take a few steps and then get tackled right after getting the first down. I'd would prefer that we play man coverage bump and run on plays where the other team will probably try a 9 yard throw. And if do play zone, we should play a few yards up more.

kaufman512
01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
our defense has been great over the past few weeks, and one reason is the fact that we haven't given up the big play. let other teams get some underneath routes and pick up intermediate yards, if they're not going 80 into the end zone, i don't mind it one bit.

Giants10Joe
01-18-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't mind giving up 5 or 6 yards as long as we stop them on third down, but it's pretty frustrating when teams convert on 3rd and 9 with a 9 yard pass and that seems to happen a lot.

bflo23
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Is it just me or does it always seem like our defensive backs are positioned one or two yards behind the first down line, especially on 2 or 3rd and long? I've noticed that opposing players frequently catch the ball either at the first down line or a few steps in front of it and take a few steps and then get tackled right after getting the first down. I'd would prefer that we play man coverage bump and run on plays where the other team will probably try a 9 yard throw. And if do play zone, we should play a few yards up more.

Yea. I noticed that Ross would be giving the WR way too much space on a hook route. He was way off the line and would be running back way too early and Rodgers would hit the receiver with ease. He may have been worried about getting hit with the deep ball because it is Rodgers and the good GB receivers.

The defense is going to play much differently against the 49ers than they did against the Packers. Whatever the Giants did last time against the 49ers rushing, they need to do again. They held Gore to 0 yards on 6 rushing attempts. I still don't buy Alex Smith and I don't think he can beat the Giants deep especially if it is raining and windy. With the D-line clicking and Osi back (who was missing in the last matchup vs 49ers) and Smith being the most sacked QB in the NFL, I think the Giants will put a lot of pressure on him and Smith should struggle.