PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm concerned about 9ers game...

TrueBlue10
01-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Now, anyone who has seen me around these boards knows that, if anything, I am usually too optimistic and have bELIeved since day one.

That said, I'm legitimately concerned for this weekend's game...

It seems like the blueprint for victory would be to completely eliminate turnovers, take points when they come, and let the defense take care of Alex Smith and his crew - who are most effective when given a short field by their defense.

However, I don't think our offensive line can stack up well enough with the 9ers d-line in order to make holes for our runners or give Eli enough time to pick apart the secondary. This means our best chance at victory is reduced to Eli living dangerously via an explosive passing game. And hey, we've successfully done that for most of the season, but I think the 9ers are just as hungry as our guys and they might be playing at a level even the Saints didn't witness.

If the offense can't get going, or, even worse, starts turning the ball over, Alex Smith can do enough to put points on the board and secure the "W".

Am I worrying over nothing? I haven't seen the week 10 game since week 10 so I don't remember how our oline did. Anyone else wanna chime in on this??

Also, obviously, this is the NFL so it is entirely possible that we could end up winning 56 - 3 and Bradshaw/Jacobs could combine for 300 yds rushing.... or something. But... yea... I'm just so nervous! I didn't think we'd get a chance like this for a long time and no I want the team to seize it!!

Pakman
01-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Idk what the hell happened to the 49ers defense with the Saints, but we can't go in expecting we will score 30+

I'm not worried about Alex Smith scoring 30+ though, it will come down to the end and I'm sure a few elderly people on both sides will die because of it.

Gotta love playoff football

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 03:26 AM
I was just looking at highlights of the regular season game and one thing that worries me was that even Eli's TD passes were well defended and were only TDs because they were perfect throws.

But I look at the 49er stats, and I'm not all that impressed. We've been a lot better against the run over the past few weeks -- the entire D has been better. Put Webster on Crabtree who is their best receiver, but not even all that great and double Davis. If you can single up on Crabtree, then we can single up on the other receivers because boy do they suck.

I'm not even convinced yet that we'll have to double Davis because Boley has done such an excellent job against elite TEs this year (i.e. Finley, Whitten, and Gonzalez over the past 3 weeks).

You know what, I'll start my own thread on this train of thought.

FearPW52
01-19-2012, 03:36 AM
I was just looking at highlights of the regular season game and one thing that worries me was that even Eli's TD passes were well defended and were only TDs because they were perfect throws.

But I look at the 49er stats, and I'm not all that impressed. We've been a lot better against the run over the past few weeks -- the entire D has been better. Put Webster on Crabtree who is their best receiver, but not even all that great and double Davis. If you can single up on Crabtree, then we can single up on the other receivers because boy do they suck.

I'm not even convinced yet that we'll have to double Davis because Boley has done such an excellent job against elite TEs this year (i.e. Finley, Whitten, and Gonzalez over the past 3 weeks).

You know what, I'll start my own thread on this train of thought.

If anyone looks at the 49ers stats they would not be impressed. I suppose it is a good thing football is more than stats on a scoresheet isn't it?

This will be an incredibly close game. The Giants D-line is definitely elite, however we handle defensive lines very well. It is the extra blitzers that give the offensive lines problems, however. But if the blitz IS picked up, Alex torches the defense (second in league vs the blitz).

Really excited to watch this game. Hope the refs don't make their presence known, all three of our losses have had at least one MAJOR blown call.

REDx85xGOLD
01-19-2012, 03:44 AM
I'd be worried too if I saw this....

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z143/JDMNINO/49erDraftDayParty4-23-05002.jpg

1986Bavaro
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Ancient history!

Zaggs
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I look at it like this. The Giants should have won the first meeting. Mario lays out, return team pays attention on the onside kick or the fake punt, Mario doesnt cut off his route, Eli throws that pass just a bit higher. Any one of those plays go differently the Giants win.
Giants had injuries (namely Boley by the 2nd atr and Bradshaw) and hadn't gel'd yet. The Giants also had less experienced linebackers in than they do now. San Fran was at full strength and had no such problems. I'm more concerned with the weather and the refs than the 49ers.

Zaggs
01-19-2012, 10:51 AM

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/Zaggs/1eli.jpg

This is what the 49ers should be afraid of. Since these two will actually be on the field and not sitting pretty in some box or TV ad.

barran21
01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Honestly who the **** cares OP, it's NFC championship game, man up or go home and the players understand this....

Pksoze
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM

You had 4 of those rings when we knocked out the two time defending champs in Frisco. The majority of players with SB rings play for NY.