PDA

View Full Version : ****y Giants fans were right: Book the trip to Indy

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 04:30 AM
I know that others have made this same point, but I wasn't tired tonight and decided to do some research. I was confident on Monday, but grew concerned due to the weather and the fact that the 49ers are solid and have been consistent. But looking at their individual #'s, I feel rock solid that the Giants are going to Indy. Parcells was right -- SF has been a great team all year, but the Giants ARE more talented. And I have never felt as certain about this game as I did the Pack game...but now I do.

Gore's a top RB, but we've been playing a lot better against the run since our overall D started playing out of their skulls. But I'll give them Gore, hesitantly.

SF's receivers are just not intimidating. The best thing that you can say about them is that they do not fumble the ball. You can put Webster 1-on-1 with Crabtree, and if you can do that (Webster is usually 1-on-1 with receivers much better than Crabtree) then you can certainly go mano y mano on the other WRs. Crabtree's got something like 875 yards for the regular season this year and he's their best.

Vernon Davis. Over the past 4 games Boley held Jermichael Finley to 37 yards, Tony Gonzalez to 44 yards, Jason Witten to 69 yards, and Dustin Keller to 77 yards. Keller was 4 weeks ago and Finley was last week -- THE TE PRODUCTION HAS BEEN DECREASING EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR THE PAST FOUR WEEKS AND THESE WERE ALL ELITE TE'S. Witten and Keller were the TOP receivers of their respective games which you may think doesn't bode well for Boley, but that means that the WR's were completely shut down...which they were. Plus Romo and Sanchez were getting creamed by the D-line, so of course those two QB's were going for the their favorite targets who are usually running shorter routes than WRs, thereby allowing the endangered QB to get rid of the ball. Which means for shorter gains. All 4 of those TEs had more yards for the season (792) as Davis, except for Finley who had 767.

Their D is tough and possibly the very best this year, but our D is finally healthy and playing like a top D over the past 4 weeks as well -- all 4 previous games essentially being playoff games.

Jets, Cowboys, and Falcons were not great, but certainly not poor teams and they were each fighting in essentially playoff games as well (with the Falcs of course being in the playoffs). And of course there's GB. They were sloppy and not themselves, but we played great that entire game anyway.

49ers have better special teams, but ours is pretty solid in it's own right.

1) Stay healthy in the game; 2) protect the ball (although I feel that we could survive 2 INTs in this game); 3) focus on winning field position (don't give them a short field to get into Aker's FG range); 4) Play the receivers one-on-one; 5) only double Davis if absolutely necessary, which may not be so the way Boley has been playing; 5) If the the WRs and Davis CAN be covered 1-on-1 like I suspect, then we'll have PLENTY of extra bodies to stop the run or go after Alex Smith. Honestly, I may sound ****y, but I'm just not worried about their run game anymore. I ACTUALLY WOULD DOUBLE DAVIS BECAUSE IF WE'RE PUTTING PRESSURE ON SMITH, THEN HE'LL BE LOOKING FOR THE QUICK ROUTE LIKE THE OTHER QB'S WHO WE PUT PRESSURE ON.

Even though I said earlier that our individual #'s are better, I know that this is a team sport. But this is a much different Giants team before 4 weeks ago. I sincerely believe that we'll win this game in the reverse outcome as the regular season game -- 27-20 Giants. I'm not taking anything away from the 49ers who are very solid, but we're finally playing up to our ability now that we're healthy.

It sounds like the 49er fans are completely not understanding how and WHY this Giants team is 180 degrees different from 5 weeks ago. Just like the Jets, Cowboys, Falcs, and Pack fans. We have the same O that we've had all season, but our MLB is fixed with Blackburn in there; Boley is healthy; Osi and Tuck are healthy enough; and the secondary as a whole is playing GREAT.

You can book the Giant's trip to Indy.

calzonesays
01-19-2012, 04:33 AM
I agree. Alex Smith is just a game manager QB playing way over his head. He couldn't pull off that game winning drive another time if he tried it 10 times.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 04:38 AM
I agree. Alex Smith is just a game manager QB playing way over his head. He couldn't pull off that game winning drive another time if he tried it 10 times.
Alex Smith is the least of the 49ers'worries on offense. He's done a fine job this year. He's done a great job of working with not exactly the greatest talent. I really believe that our revitalized D is going to shut them down. 20 points may be kind, but I'm wary of their special teams getting good field position, and Akers' awesome reliability kicking FGs.

ebick
01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Akers' awesome reliability kicking FGs.</P>

That SOB has always been trouble for us....</P>

OX1
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
The more I looked into it (stats, watching game highlights, etc..), the moreconfident I become. Got so tired of hearing about their "only letting up 16 points per game", I looked pretty hard at it. </P>

I wonder if any niners fans have actually analyzed the dismal offenses (10 games against 23rd or worse offenses in points)they played all year to get that stat.Maybe their D actually is great, but it wasn't proven out by beating up on top offenses all year. </P>

</P>

TrueBlue2180
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM
I know that others have made this same point, but I wasn't tired tonight and decided to do some research. I was confident on Monday, but grew concerned due to the weather and the fact that the 49ers are solid and have been consistent. But looking at their individual #'s, I feel rock solid that the Giants are going to Indy. Parcells was right -- SF has been a great team all year, but the Giants ARE more talented. And I have never felt as certain about this game as I did the Pack game...but now I do.

Gore's a top RB, but we've been playing a lot better against the run since our overall D started playing out of their skulls. But I'll give them Gore, hesitantly.

SF's receivers are just not intimidating. The best thing that you can say about them is that they do not fumble the ball. You can put Webster 1-on-1 with Crabtree, and if you can do that (Webster is usually 1-on-1 with receivers much better than Crabtree) then you can certainly go mano y mano on the other WRs. Crabtree's got something like 875 yards for the regular season this year and he's their best.

Vernon Davis. Over the past 4 games Boley held Jermichael Finley to 37 yards, Tony Gonzalez to 44 yards, Jason Witten to 69 yards, and Dustin Keller to 77 yards. Keller was 4 weeks ago and Finley was last week -- THE TE PRODUCTION HAS BEEN DECREASING EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR THE PAST FOUR WEEKS AND THESE WERE ALL ELITE TE'S. Witten and Keller were the TOP receivers of their respective games which you may think doesn't bode well for Boley, but that means that the WR's were completely shut down...which they were. Plus Romo and Sanchez were getting creamed by the D-line, so of course those two QB's were going for the their favorite targets who are usually running shorter routes than WRs, thereby allowing the endangered QB to get rid of the ball. Which means for shorter gains. All 4 of those TEs had more yards for the season (792) as Davis, except for Finley who had 767.

Their D is tough and possibly the very best this year, but our D is finally healthy and playing like a top D over the past 4 weeks as well -- all 4 previous games essentially being playoff games.

Jets, Cowboys, and Falcons were not great, but certainly not poor teams and they were each fighting in essentially playoff games as well (with the Falcs of course being in the playoffs). And of course there's GB. They were sloppy and not themselves, but we played great that entire game anyway.

1) Stay healthy in the game; 2) protect the ball (although I feel that we could survive 2 INTs in this game); 3) focus on winning field position (don't give them a short field to get into Aker's FG range); 4) Play the receivers one-on-one; 5) only double Davis if absolutely necessary, which may not be so the way Boley has been playing; 5) If the the WRs and Davis CAN be covered 1-on-1 like I suspect, then we'll have PLENTY of extra bodies to stop the run or go after Alex Smith. Honestly, I may sound ****y, but I'm just not worried about their run game anymore. I ACTUALLY WOULD DOUBLE DAVIS BECAUSE IF WE'RE PUTTING PRESSURE ON SMITH, THEN HE'LL BE LOOKING FOR THE QUICK ROUTE LIKE THE OTHER QB'S WHO WE PUT PRESSURE ON.

Even though I said earlier that our individual #'s are better, I know that this is a team sport. But this is a much different Giants team before 4 weeks ago. I sincerely believe that we'll win this game in the reverse outcome as the regular season game -- 27-20 Giants. I'm not taking anything away from the 49ers who are very solid, but we're finally playing up to our ability now that we're healthy.

It sounds like the 49er fans are completely not understanding how and WHY this Giants team is 180 degrees different from 5 weeks ago. Just like the Jets, Cowboys, Falcs, and Pack fans. We have the same O that we've had all season, but our MLB is fixed with Blackburn in there; Boley is healthy; Osi and Tuck are healthy enough; and the secondary as a whole is playing GREAT.

I'm definitely not as confident as you are, but good post to read. The 49ers beat a great team last week (one that we did not want to play in New Orleans). However, the win was by 3 points in the final seconds after the 49ers defense forced FIVE turnovers. Generally, if a team forces five turnovers, the game really shouldn't be all that close. This is easier said than done against a very good 49ers defense but - protect the football and I like our chances.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I know that others have made this same point, but I wasn't tired tonight and decided to do some research. I was confident on Monday, but grew concerned due to the weather and the fact that the 49ers are solid and have been consistent. But looking at their individual #'s, I feel rock solid that the Giants are going to Indy. Parcells was right -- SF has been a great team all year, but the Giants ARE more talented. And I have never felt as certain about this game as I did the Pack game...but now I do. Gore's a top RB, but we've been playing a lot better against the run since our overall D started playing out of their skulls. But I'll give them Gore, hesitantly. SF's receivers are just not intimidating. The best thing that you can say about them is that they do not fumble the ball. You can put Webster 1-on-1 with Crabtree, and if you can do that (Webster is usually 1-on-1 with receivers much better than Crabtree) then you can certainly go mano y mano on the other WRs. Crabtree's got something like 875 yards for the regular season this year and he's their best. Vernon Davis. Over the past 4 games Boley held Jermichael Finley to 37 yards, Tony Gonzalez to 44 yards, Jason Witten to 69 yards, and Dustin Keller to 77 yards. Keller was 4 weeks ago and Finley was last week -- THE TE PRODUCTION HAS BEEN DECREASING EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR THE PAST FOUR WEEKS AND THESE WERE ALL ELITE TE'S. Witten and Keller were the TOP receivers of their respective games which you may think doesn't bode well for Boley, but that means that the WR's were completely shut down...which they were. Plus Romo and Sanchez were getting creamed by the D-line, so of course those two QB's were going for the their favorite targets who are usually running shorter routes than WRs, thereby allowing the endangered QB to get rid of the ball. Which means for shorter gains. All 4 of those TEs had more yards for the season (792) as Davis, except for Finley who had 767. Their D is tough and possibly the very best this year, but our D is finally healthy and playing like a top D over the past 4 weeks as well -- all 4 previous games essentially being playoff games. Jets, Cowboys, and Falcons were not great, but certainly not poor teams and they were each fighting in essentially playoff games as well (with the Falcs of course being in the playoffs). And of course there's GB. They were sloppy and not themselves, but we played great that entire game anyway. 49ers have better special teams, but ours is pretty solid in it's own right. 1) Stay healthy in the game; 2) protect the ball (although I feel that we could survive 2 INTs in this game); 3) focus on winning field position (don't give them a short field to get into Aker's FG range); 4) Play the receivers one-on-one; 5) only double Davis if absolutely necessary, which may not be so the way Boley has been playing; 5) If the the WRs and Davis CAN be covered 1-on-1 like I suspect, then we'll have PLENTY of extra bodies to stop the run or go after Alex Smith. Honestly, I may sound ****y, but I'm just not worried about their run game anymore. I ACTUALLY WOULD DOUBLE DAVIS BECAUSE IF WE'RE PUTTING PRESSURE ON SMITH, THEN HE'LL BE LOOKING FOR THE QUICK ROUTE LIKE THE OTHER QB'S WHO WE PUT PRESSURE ON. Even though I said earlier that our individual #'s are better, I know that this is a team sport. But this is a much different Giants team before 4 weeks ago. I sincerely believe that we'll win this game in the reverse outcome as the regular season game -- 27-20 Giants. I'm not taking anything away from the 49ers who are very solid, but we're finally playing up to our ability now that we're healthy. It sounds like the 49er fans are completely not understanding how and WHY this Giants team is 180 degrees different from 5 weeks ago. Just like the Jets, Cowboys, Falcs, and Pack fans. We have the same O that we've had all season, but our MLB is fixed with Blackburn in there; Boley is healthy; Osi and Tuck are healthy enough; and the secondary as a whole is playing GREAT. You can book the Giant's trip to Indy.

I'm definitely not as confident as you are, but good post to read. The 49ers beat a great team last week (one that we did not want to play in New Orleans). However, the win was by 3 points in the final seconds after the 49ers defense forced FIVE turnovers. Generally, if a team forces five turnovers, the game really shouldn't be all that close. This is easier said than done against a very good 49ers defense but - protect the football and I like our chances.
</P>

Yeah, 5 turnovers and barely winning is pretty amazing, but then again -- N.O. had an amazing offense. I'm getting as confident as I was about the GB game.</P>

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM

</P>

Akers is great. He reminds of Matt Bahr, but with a stronger leg. He's almost automatic.</P>

lttaylor56
01-19-2012, 11:45 AM

</P>

Akers is great.* He reminds of Matt Bahr, but with a stronger leg.* He's almost automatic.</P>Akers is awesome.

Our kicker, weatherford, has been in 2 Afc champ games with the Jets. He is hungry for a superbowl. He told another NYG player this week that he is so tired of not making it to the SB, that he would prefer not being in the playoffs if they were not going to go all the way.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 11:47 AM

</P>

Akers is great. He reminds of Matt Bahr, but with a stronger leg. He's almost automatic.</P>

Akers is awesome. Our kicker, weatherford, has been in 2 Afc champ games with the Jets. He is hungry for a superbowl. He told another NYG player this week that he is so tired of not making it to the SB, that he would prefer not being in the playoffs if they were not going to go all the way.</P>

Weatherford's been great. He's the main reason why our special teams has been solid this year, IMO. This could be the type of game where it's just nothing but field goals like the championship game leading up to SB XXV. Akers is obviously better, but I'll trust Tynes in a big game until he proves me wrong.</P>

lttaylor56
01-19-2012, 11:47 AM

</P>

Akers is great.* He reminds of Matt Bahr, but with a stronger leg.* He's almost automatic.</P>Akers is awesome.

Our kicker, weatherford, has been in 2 Afc champ games with the Jets. He is hungry for a superbowl. He told another NYG player this week that he is so tired of not making it to the SB, that he would prefer not being in the playoffs if they were not going to go all the way.Btw, warriors avatar is awesome

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM

</P>

Akers is awesome. Our kicker, weatherford, has been in 2 Afc champ games with the Jets. He is hungry for a superbowl. He told another NYG player this week that he is so tired of not making it to the SB, that he would prefer not being in the playoffs if they were not going to go all the way.Btw, warriors avatar is awesome</P>

Thanks. I joined the Giants boards right after they won SB 42. My feeling that entire playoff run ("Road Warriors") was summed up in a great line in The Warriors -- "We're going to bop right through these lame *****turf." Summed up our playoff experience in '07, so I went with the avatar (plus, it's a great friggen movie). Now, that's how it went down in GB and how it's about to go down in SF.</P>

burier
01-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Welcome aboard

"Get ALL IN or GET THE F-OUT!"

lttaylor56
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM

</P>

Akers is great.* He reminds of Matt Bahr, but with a stronger leg.* He's almost automatic.</P>

Akers is awesome. Our kicker, weatherford, has been in 2 Afc champ games with the Jets. He is hungry for a superbowl. He told another NYG player this week that he is so tired of not making it to the SB, that he would prefer not being in the playoffs if they were not going to go all the way.Btw, warriors avatar is awesome</P>

Thanks.* I joined the Giants boards right after they won SB 42.* My feeling that entire playoff run ("Road Warriors") was summed up in a great line in The Warriors -- "We're going to bop right through these lame ******turf."* Summed up our playoff experience in '07, so I went with the avatar (plus, it's a great friggen movie).* Now, that's how it went down in GB and how it's about to go down in SF.</P>Perfect, great analogy. You speak the truth good Sir. We all have to believe.