PDA

View Full Version : Re-Watched Game From Earlier This Season - Notes & Thoughts

kkr
01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
First up i think this matchup is tougher than last weeks, mainly because the 49ers have a legitimate defense where as i always thought we matched up against the Packers very favourably. Essentially i think we have a great chance to win if we can match their intensity early and not get in a hole like the Saints did.

As far as personnel goes, last time we played Bradshaw was injured and missing, Boley left injured in the 2nd quarter, Nicks was playing his first game back from a hamstring injury and Mario was affected by a knee in the week also. Ross also missed time during the game and Tuck wasn't 100% too. For the 49ers they were basically without Gore even though he played the first half because he was so limited by his ankle.

Greg Jones started at MLB and obviously we were without Blackburn and Amukamara also. Michael Coe spelled Ross when he was injured out the game for a series or 2.

Cruz & JPP weren't starting at this point and Will Beatty was still at LT. The line for the most part played pretty well and gave Eli time, but not having Bradshaw really hurt the run game and Jacobs 55yards on 18 carries sounds worse than it was also, he had some nice runs but without the change of pace back and having Bradshaw and all he can do in there, it really hurt the run game.

The 49ers had Braylon Edwards at this point, he has since been released.

Delanie Walker made a number of big plays, he is now recovering from a broken jaw but looks like he might be back this week.

Tedd Ginn is questionable for this week, not sure on exactly what injury he has, but if he is missing then they lose a kick returner and slot receiver.

A far as game notes go essentially we lost the game in a few minute span late in the 3rd, early in the 4th.

00:35 to play in the 3rd quarter, 3rd down and 4, Eli scrambles right and floats a ball to wide open Hakeem Nicks for the first down but it is too short and incomplete. Nicks had room to get some YAC here also. Next play Weatherford shanks a punt, 29 yards to the 50 yard line. Kendal Hunter 6 yard run sees out the 3rd quarter.

One more run for two yards to start the 4th quarter and then on 3rd and 2 the 9ers ran a BS shift where Smith was calling for the snap and then they shifted the line and we jumped to go offsides. Another 6 yard run by Kendal Hunter and then the blown coverage by Greg Jones for the TD to Vernon Davis, 31 yards. 2 point conversion was successful on a rollout to the right, Crabtree in the flat.

Following the kick off and a 3 yard run by Jacobs, Eli was picked off after Manningham stopped his route early. Next play to the house for a 17 yard TD run, Greg Jones and Paysinger both in on this run.

3 minutes, 14 points, game over, although we rallied late and Justin Smith batted the ball down to win the game on 4th and 2, but there was a nice no call on this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/383595_10100159820211087_27616420_44004808_1471340 919_n.jpg

Other Notes:
- 49ers stole a possession with an onside kick in the second quarter. Ultimately led to a pick off a tipped Ted Ginn catch. We have set up our special teams in mind of these surprise onsides a lot differently since and this even led to a recovery last week against the Pack
- 2:50 to play Mario dropped the game tying TD, if he had dived for it, then its 6. He said as much himself after the game.
-Justin Smith vs Diehl/Boothe is a nightmare matchup, he completely over powered Diehl at LG last game.
-Aldon Smith was chipped by Ballard on occasions.
- Eli's first pick was a result of a huge drop by Cruz. After the drop we run the same exact route on Rodgers again and he read it all the way.
-Cruz easily has the legs on Rodgers, ran by him for a big grab.
-When under extreme pressure Smith releases the ball high to his receivers, which led to Walker and Davis taking big shots.
-Both their kickers are pro bowlers and had great games.
-Eli started 10/10 102 yards
-Their secret weapon/motivational tool is the honey badger, which is a fearless badger that doesnt give a ****, will fight any animal, any size and is just ferocious. This is how they play on D, like the honey badger!

We lost the game in a 3 minute span due to a blown coverage and a turnover. The D is healthier and playing better now. We have Blackburn and Boley so hopefully they can play the whole game this time around and have an impact.

Containing Gore and Hunter will be first and foremost, followed by Vernon Davis. If we could take away those two things we will be in a great position.

Its going to be a wet soggy field and possibly even raining during the
game. I dont think this will particularly help any team. Stopping the
run will be the key still and when passing it will favour the offenses more
as a soggy muddy field would slow down the defense as they dont know
where the offense is going. I dont think the weather will have a big impact, unless a wet slick ball leads to drops and fumbles, but its the same for both teams.

Essentially i think it will come down to matching their intensity levels and ball security. Its not going to be easy but i like our chances.

All in!

lttaylor56
01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Agreed with most of it. NYG matches up well physcially with the 9'ers. Our offense has to be prepared to get blasted by the 9'ers defense when they get the ball and not allow that to interfere with their concentration. SF has already said that is how they are going to try to get into our heads. Seems like exactly what our d did to the pack receivers last week. Limit mistakes, deal with their d successfully and stop the run and we got this.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Very well done, sir -- I lovebreakdowns like this. The Giants D is just night-and-day compared to that game. 49ers are tough, but I agree with Parcells that we are the more talented team (and better balanced) and will prevail. </P>

However, what am I missing in the still-shot? Is it Ballard getting blocked at the knees when he's going out for a pass?</P>

GreenZone
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Great post. Beats any articles in the major media this week.

I rewatched parts of the game too. The Giants led in the offensive yardage 395 to 305, but were minus 1 on the turnover battle with 2 interceptions vs. 1 for Smith.

The offense was 7 for 14 on 3rd down conversions vs. 3 for 11 for SF.

Even with everything else, you got the feeling they could come back with about 8 minutes left in the game and down 27-13. Nice touchdown to close the gap, got back the ball, got to about the 11 yard line with a 2nd down and 2, but died there.

The Giants biggest failure was the lack of finish in the greenzone. SF is tops in preventing touchdowns there, so that will be the big battle to watch.

kkr
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Very well done, sir -- I lovebreakdowns like this. The Giants D is just night-and-day compared to that game. 49ers are tough, but I agree with Parcells that we are the more talented team (and better balanced) and will prevail. </p>

However, what am I missing in the still-shot? Is it Ballard getting blocked at the knees when he's going out for a pass?</p>
Willis blatantly held Ballard on that play which wasn't called and ultimately led to him and Cruz being in the same position. Video here covers it better: link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82415e90/Smith-s-defensive-stand)

As you can see, he virtually tackled the Ballard. No flag......

chuckedafter5yards
01-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I look forward to the NFL replay tonight. I recall the bad punt which really hurt. The non-call on Ballard is incredible but the ref is not even looking at the play and Cruz and Ballard end up 2 feet from each other. I love the endless replays of Justin Smith knocking down the ball. Smith is given credit like he makes a great play but it's well after the Willis (Aikman says Swilling?) hold.
49ers ran many formations, I see those as fluff in the rematch. Noticed how Smith rarely moves in pocket and anxious to see him week 10 agianst NYG.

repeatchamps
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Very well done, sir -- I lovebreakdowns like this. The Giants D is just night-and-day compared to that game. 49ers are tough, but I agree with Parcells that we are the more talented team (and better balanced) and will prevail. </P>

However, what am I missing in the still-shot? Is it Ballard getting blocked at the knees when he's going out for a pass?</P>

Willis blatantly held Ballard on that play which wasn't called and ultimately led to him and Cruz being in the same position. Video here covers it better: link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82415e90/Smith-s-defensive-stand)

</P>

Based on that still shot, while Iagree he cannot tackle the guy, it actually is not aillegal contactpenalty but perhaps it is a holding call. It was 4th and 2 and you can clearly see the first down marker highlighted in red. He was hit well shy of the sticks and since this is not 5 yards down the fieldthe contactis legal. If a penalty would be called there it would be because of the excessiveholdingby the line backer that would probably force a ref in some situations to throw the flag. Howeverthe actual <U>initial contact</U> there ispretty muchwithin the rules. Thank you for posting that shot because up until now I was unsure if Ballard was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and now I see clearly he wasn't.There is no doubt though that apenalty for defensive holding is something that probably should have been called.</P>

Other than those semantics, nice analysis in your original post.</P>

Excuse me for nowwhile I go watch the 1986 Giants-49ers divisional playoff game when the Giants won 49-3, lol.</P>

Voldamort
01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Ginn's knee could be bad,hit Walker in the mouth a few times and he will go to the bench!

EliTE
01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
cool post, but i'm pretty sure their onside kick led to a FG. alex smith's turnover came after eli threw the pick to rodgers (after the cruz drop) or at least that's how i remember it.

GreenZone
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Willis blatantly held Ballard on that play which wasn't called

The defensive player is allowed to bump in the five yard window. Jake needed to do a better job breaking free, though I think the game was really lost on 2nd and 3rd downs, more than that play...not to mention the line needed to block when it counted most.
<a href="http://http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers#menu=gameinfo&amp;tab=analyze">
Here's the stats, with play by play of the game</a>

EliTE
01-19-2012, 09:19 PM
he didn't bump ballard though, he practically dove in at his legs and form tackled him, which is a hold. ballard should have just fell down and maybe it would have been called, but he tried to fight through it and run his route. if you're allowed to do what willis did, every DB would simply tackle the receiver at the line of scrimmage on every play.

that was a blatant illegal move by willis and it should have been flagged no doubt, but as the pic shows, the ref right in front of the play was staring at eli.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Very well done, sir -- I love*breakdowns like this.* The Giants D is just night-and-day compared to that game.* 49ers are tough, but I agree with Parcells that we are the more talented team (and better balanced) and will prevail.* </p>

However, what am I missing in the still-shot?* Is it Ballard getting blocked at the knees when he's going out for a pass?</p>
Willis blatantly held Ballard on that play which wasn't called and ultimately led to him and Cruz being in the same position.* Video here covers it better: link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82415e90/Smith-s-defensive-stand)

As you can see, he virtually tackled the Ballard.* No flag......

That's funny because I was watching that part of the video last night and I was wondering about that as well. I listened to the commentators talk during the replay of the down and neither of them mentioned anything about it. I just figured that nothing happened because it was so obvious that they would have caught it.

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Very well done, sir -- I love*breakdowns like this.* The Giants D is just night-and-day compared to that game.* 49ers are tough, but I agree with Parcells that we are the more talented team (and better balanced) and will prevail.* </P>

However, what am I missing in the still-shot?* Is it Ballard getting blocked at the knees when he's going out for a pass?</P>

Willis blatantly held Ballard on that play which wasn't called and ultimately led to him and Cruz being in the same position.* Video here covers it better: link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82415e90/Smith-s-defensive-stand)

As you can see, he virtually tackled the Ballard.* No flag......

</P>

Based on that still shot, while I*agree he cannot tackle the guy, it actually is not a*illegal contact*penalty but perhaps it is a holding call. It was 4th and 2 and you can clearly see the first down marker highlighted in red. He was hit well shy of the sticks and since this is not 5 yards down the field*the contact*is legal. If a penalty would be called there it would be because of the excessive*holding*by the line backer that would probably force a ref in some situations to throw the flag. However*the actual <U>initial contact</U> there is*pretty much*within the rules. Thank you for posting that shot because up until now I was unsure if Ballard was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and now I see clearly he wasn't.*There is no doubt though that a*penalty for defensive holding is something that probably should have been called.</P>

Other than those semantics, nice analysis in your original post.</P>

Excuse me for now*while I go watch the 1986 Giants-49ers divisional playoff game when the Giants won 49-3, lol.</P>
Yeah, there had to be SOME type of penalty on that, otherwise the secondary would just go low on every WR like that on every down in order to slow them down.

GreenZone
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
he didn't bump ballard though, he practically dove in at his legs and form tackled him, which is a hold. ballard should have just fell down and maybe it would have been called, but he tried to fight through it and run his route. if you're allowed to do what willis did, every DB would simply tackle the receiver at the line of scrimmage on every play.

that was a blatant illegal move by willis and it should have been flagged no doubt, but as the pic shows, the ref right in front of the play was staring at eli.

Yes, but tackling/holding is different than blocking, which is allowed in five yards. Ballard was too slow, but I just didn't see grabbing, which would be defensive holding. It was borderline.

EliTE
01-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Yes, but tackling/holding is different than blocking, which is allowed in five yards. Ballard was too slow, but I just didn't see grabbing, which would be defensive holding. It was borderline.
how was it borderline? he basically tackled ballard, which is illegal. not borderline at all.

Drystt
01-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Well done post.

poppa smurph
01-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Yup, nice breakdown.</P>

Now how do you kill a Honey-Badger????</P>

Give BJ the keys and say, " Roadkill!!! ".</P>

rainierjef
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
I Highly recommend downloading the nfl rule book pdf. before this game so you can see the bull**** calls

jomo
01-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Awesome piece kkr, thanks! [B]

chuckedafter5yards
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Don't worry the Ref didn't see it either which almost makes me think they may have been down an official. No it's holding, illegal contact- the thing is Ballard is lined up on the wing off the line of scrimmage so Willis is hitting essentially a RB coming out of the backfield, it's hard to sell that Willis is playing the run here and the only intent in putting his head down and hitting Ballard square with his shoulder pads is to "adjust" his route on the play. Eli ends up still unpressured but with Cruz and Ballard standing there next to each other- Eli threw the ball to get the blatant penalty.

SackingMyths
01-20-2012, 08:59 AM
To the OP, this was fantastic. Thanks!

I came away with basically the same notion that you seemed to have; SF needed a lot of things to go right to barely win, we plugged and shuffled around pieces to eliminate easy TDs like Davis' and Hunter's, and I don't see how SF doesn't get hammered this game. Sorry, it's not overconfidence; it's what my eyes see.

Oh, and Bradshaw being back is super huge. Not so much for his running, because you're not gonna gash this D on the ground. But his pass protection (Top 2-3, imo) and knack for leaking out for a timely check down was sorely missed.

26-13 Baby!

yatitle
01-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Thought your recap was spot on. Couple of items I would add:

- Ballard played a huge part in the game plan the 1st time. He was coming off his great performance against Pats and was huge using his size on a couple of plays that Eli threw into a tight window. I worry about if he is healthy enough and confident enough this game to duplicate those results
- Ware played a big part of the offense both out of the backfield and in shot gun formation both in blitz pickup and draws. Assuming Bradshaw can get the majority of those plays I worry about Jacobs in this game because you can not run wide on this team and our O-line was overpowered on straight ahead runs.
-I think the favorable matchup for the Giants will be whoever lines up against Rogers. Yes he had 2 picks but he was abused by Cruz for most of that game.

RonJon
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
kkr:

I remember that misses 3rd down pass to Nicks. That play I felt was the turning point. Giants were leadin 13-12 AND Nicks was wode open there. Eli gets him the ball and he's got at least 10 maybe 15 yards of room to run. keeps that drive alive. Weatherford shanks the punt and the Niner score and grab all the momentum

BParcells777
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
really nice analysis but its going to just come down to which team wants it more

both are very talented, and well coached

kkr
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
yatitle - I agree with you about Ballard. Im not sure he is 100% from the injury just yet, hopefully he feels a lot better this week as he was even making plays over Willis the last game.

If we can get a big game from one of Ballard, Beckum or Manningham, then i think we will be in a pretty good position as Nicks and Cruz should have success against their starting corners too.

kkr:

I remember that misses 3rd down pass to Nicks. That play I felt was the turning point. Giants were leadin 13-12 AND Nicks was wode open there. Eli gets him the ball and he's got at least 10 maybe 15 yards of room to run. keeps that drive alive. Weatherford shanks the punt and the Niner score and grab all the momentum
Yeah that was the beginning of a huge momentum swing to the 49ers and also the start of a number of really bad events that just completely sealed the W for San Fran.

Play hard mistake free football this week and we have a great chance. Im tired of waiting now, the game cant get here soon enough!