PDA

View Full Version : Strahan sack record in danger?

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Jared Allen has 12.5 already, on pace for 25. Although the vikes play a tough 2nd half schedule. I'll give him credit, tough to get to the QB that much when you're usually playing from behind.

BigBlueIsNumber1
10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Lets be honest Strahan has no sack recored. It still should be Mark Gastineaus. I kind of hope someone gets it so it can be in the hands of a legit title holder again.

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Strahan never deserved that Record- Favre laid down for him

now that we know more about Favre's character it all makes sense

NYGRealityCheck
10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
when Osi sacked McNabb like 6 times in one game, Osi was on pace for 100+ sacks???

Players don't really think much about records as much as winning these days...

bleedinblue27
WHATEVER!! does it really matter?? Stra has the record, live with it and get over it!

NYG4lifeNYK

Why do people say stupid stuff like this all the time... Favre laid down because he didn't want to get hit... he didn't give Strahan anything.

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Lets be honest Strahan has no sack recored. It still should be Mark Gastineaus. I kind of hope someone gets it so it can be in the hands of a legit title holder again.

I just pretend that if favre stayed in the pocket strahan would have gotten him anyway

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
when Osi sacked McNabb like 6 times in one game, Osi was on pace for 100+ sacks???

Players don't really think much about records as much as winning these days...

Well theres obviously a difference between one game and half a season.

little blue
10-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Strahan never deserved that Record- Favre laid down for him now that we know more about Favre's character it all makes senseWHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 05:04 PM
because I actually watched the play and it reminded me one of those stupid fake "wrestling" fiascos

barran21
10-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Records are meant to be broken....weather i see it or it happens after i die Favre records will fall...

Plus i rather see Allen break it than a damn Cowboy/Redskin/Eagle...

P_Simms_#11
10-30-2011, 05:06 PM
It amazes me when someone who calls themselves a Giants fan bashes a future HOF Giant like Strahan.

njersey
10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
The record doesn't mean much to me, since sacks are a relatively new stat. I think they started keeping track in 1982? Decon Jones had like 12 sacks in one game once!

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
because I actually watched the play and it reminded me one of those stupid fake "wrestling" fiascos

Its pretty obvious that favre was laying down for him on that play. Show me another play in favres career that resembles that play at all.

With that said i dont agree that the record is illigitimate...stray has no control over how much QBs are trying to avoid him

bigjeep
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Strahan never deserved that Record- Favre laid down for him now that we know more about Favre's character it all makes sense

Why do people say stupid stuff like this all the time... Favre laid down because he didn't want to get hit... he didn't give Strahan anything.
</P>

</P>

Sorry, watched it and it is what it is. Greenbay had the game and farve gave him the record. Case closed.</P>

PS-- Farve was smiling while he was going down. [:D]</P>

bigjeep
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
because I actually watched the play and it reminded me one of those stupid fake "wrestling" fiascos Its pretty obvious that favre was laying down for him on that play. Show me another play in favres career that resembles that play at all. With that said i dont agree that the record is illigitimate...stray has no control over how much QBs are trying to avoid him</P>

</P>

[B]</P>

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I think Jack Gregory of the Giants had about 25 one year

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 05:29 PM
not to mention they were best Buds

both were probably chasing after that little Jet Chick

Strahan4gov
10-30-2011, 05:33 PM
This thread has more trolls than Lord of the Rings

Pksoze
10-30-2011, 05:45 PM
because I actually watched the play and it reminded me one of those stupid fake "wrestling" fiascos Its pretty obvious that favre was laying down for him on that play. Show me another play in favres career that resembles that play at all. With that said i dont agree that the record is illigitimate...stray has no control over how much QBs are trying to avoid him</P>

*</P>

[B]</P>

Agreed! Strahan cannot control what another player does. He played great that season. To say he didn't deserve his record is very unfair.

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
The guy was right

Favre was laughing as he went down

and he practically ran to Strahan like a lost lover

Poor Gastineau was then asked to congratulate Strahan in person......he was speechless......looked like a guy who just had his wallet filched

GiantWarfare
10-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Are you kidding me w/ this sh*t?

Who gives a f*ck if Favre did in fact lay down for Stray?

Ain't #92's fault...he earned his record.

I'm not Mark Gastineau and I'm no Jets fan...granted I do have respect for Gastineau he was a great player but I honestly could give 2 sh*ts about him or his fans viewing the record as invalid.

Stray has it, end of story. If its broken its broken but lets not act like he didnt get it/deserve it.

This is ridiculous....

NY_Eli
10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Strahan's sack record will be in danger every year Jason Pierre-Paul plays in the league [:D]

BParcells777
10-30-2011, 06:00 PM

I'm not Mark Gastineau and I'm no Jets fan...granted I do have respect for Gastineau he was a great player but I honestly could give 2 sh*ts about him or his fans viewing the record as invalid.

Stray has it, end of story. If its broken its broken but lets not act like he didnt get it/deserve it.

This is ridiculous....

your right he has the official record but there ought to be an asterisk for croynism

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 06:14 PM

This is ridiculous....

your right he has the official record but here ought to be an asterisk

Following that line of reasoning almost any NFL record would have an asterisk. If you play a team resting their starters week 17, those stats don't count cause the other team isn't trying hard enough.

giantsforce
10-30-2011, 06:20 PM

because people do not really watch football. If they did they would have known that the naked bootleg was Favre's staple move forever. If you watched enough Packers games, you would have noticed that. Strahan capitalized on that tendency.

GiantWarfare
10-30-2011, 06:32 PM

This is ridiculous....

your right he has the official record but here ought to be an asterisk

You need an asterisk.

Diamondring
10-30-2011, 07:32 PM

</P>

[B]</P> Agreed! Strahan cannot control what another player does. He played great that season. To say he didn't deserve his record is very unfair.I think that Strahan was talking to Favre too before the incident.

jhamburg
10-30-2011, 07:51 PM

*</P>

[B]</P> Agreed! Strahan cannot control what another player does. He played great that season. To say he didn't deserve his record is very unfair.I think that Strahan was talking to Favre too before the incident.

So? I doubt Strahan asked Favre to lay down for him. At worst maybe Favre said something like "make sure to keep outside contain next play" wink wink...Either way I'm sure it was Favre's idea, it would be really weird for Strahan to request that.

danishGiant
10-30-2011, 07:55 PM
JPP will anyways own the record in a few years.

jhamburg
10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Ware also with 12 now, in only 7 games.

If one of them has to break it, I'm rooting for Allen.

redbeardxxv
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
It amazes me when someone who calls themselves a Giants fan bashes a future HOF Giant like Strahan.

Who's bashing him? All I see is people saying that Farve ran out of the pocket and laid down so his personal friend and golf buddy, Mike Strahan, could break the single season sack record. Nobody has diminished Strahan's play, they just pointed out the KNOWN FACT that the title was gifted, and not truly earned.

Roosevelt
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM

Yeah right. Keeping telling yourself that. lol.

DragonSoul
10-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Strahan tweeted yesterday, that he has no problem if his record is broken, as they are meant to be broken, and that he left a mark on the nfl and now it is up for the younger guys to do the same (paraphrasing)

lttaylor56
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM
I remember the play like it was yesterday. Favre laid down and gave Strahan the record. Brett knew that Strahan needed the sack to break the record in that game. I'm jaded in my opinion as a Strahan/Giant fan. I like to think that Favre's actions that day were based on his respect for Strahan as a football player and a person.

burier
10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Decon jones never got 12 sacks in a game...cool points for whoever knows who did

redbeardxxv
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Decon jones never got 12 sacks in a game...cool points for whoever knows who did

Norm Wiley of the Eagles, was supposed to have gotten Conerly 12 times back in the 50's, but that record is unofficial. Unofficially there were 17 sacks that game. I wasn't a Giants fan back then, cause I wasn't alive, so this info is based on here-say from those who were. Of course the accounts differ from person to person, and of course, whether they were cheering NY or Philly that day.

FresnoGiant
11-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Back to the OP's original question. Yes. Absolutely it will be broken. If not this year then next year. As the league continues to turn into a pass happy throw-fest, the numbers make it all but inevitable. If you look at average number of sacks per pass attempt through the years, they are pretty consistent. But as the sheer number of passes keep climbing, so will the sack totals. A guy like J. Allen might get 200 more sack opportunities in a season compared to Stray 10 years ago.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Allen is a better pass rusher than was number 92. But if you give a guy that many more opportunities, someone will break the record sooner rather than later.

BTW I wouldn't mind seeing Ware break it. Even though he is a Cowturd, I think he is one of the best D players in a long time. Classy too. Actually reminds me a lot of Big Mike.

jhamburg
12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Update:

17.5 sacks for Allen, needs 5 more to tie record in 3 games:

WAS (9th in sacks allowed)
NO (26th in sacks allowed)
CHI (7th in sacks allowed)

giantsforce
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

now that we know more about Favre's character it all makes sense Obviously you and people who think like you have not really watched Favre play. The naked bootleg was a staple move of his for many years.

BlueSanta
12-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Fact is, we dont know if Favre went down for him or not.

But we do know that Strahan deserved that record. Gastineu, who preveiously held it, played in an era where sacks were MUCH easier to come by. In fact, todays NFL does all it can to protect QBs from sacks. QBs could not throw it away outside the pocket and Mobile QBs were pretty much nonexistant. Most QBs were just immobile sitting ducks back there.

Even if you take away that sack from Favre, Strahan should still be considered the record holder simply because the rules made aquiring sacks so much harder.. If Allen breaks it, then he deserves it even more since the league seems only interested in protecting QBs. .

bleedinblue27
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM

F off Strahan hater!!! it is what it is!!! i guess the other 21 sacks didnt count eather!! your such a tool!!