PDA

View Full Version : Rarely Talked About Eli Strength

CDN_G-FAN
01-19-2012, 07:59 PM
.......his ability to play under the bright lights of the New York media and seem like he doesn't care.

i just read an article about Flacco and how he can't seem to keep his composure in an interview a week before the conference championship ("if we win, i'm sure no one with think i had anything to do with it ", paraphrasing).

That's freakin Baltimore. BALTIMORE.

Eli said he thought of himself as an elite quarterback and that was an 8 week story in New York, and i STILL BEING DISCUSSED IN THE PLAYOFFS.

There's no way some of these QBs that can't seem to handle the limelight in smaller less intense markets (cough cough, Ben....) would be able to handle the volume of criticism that a QB in New York takes.

these guys get a little national exposure and they start making stupid decisions and let the pressure of the position probably cloud their judgement.

anyway, i think we all underestimate how hard it is to play under the bright lights of the big city, and i wonder how much Eli's personality, which was thought of as a real factor holding him back originall, has actually let him succeed where other QBs would probably crack.

Axels15
01-19-2012, 08:02 PM
It actually is talked about a lot by the media, but before this year, it's always been referred to as a weakness.

Like Tiki calling him out as not being a leader in the locker room, all the media comparing him poorly to Rivers because he's not as firey.

That was always bull****, not every leader has to get in the face of his teammates to do something

ebick
01-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Easy E has ice in his veins and is tough as nails........pretty good qualities.

Drez
01-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah. I was reading an article about Eli yesterday and there was this one line (can't remember if it was from the writer, or whothat was for that matter, or a quote within the article) but it said something to the effect of, "It says something about Eli where he's been in the NFL for 8 years playing in the largest media market and the most controversial thing he's said is, 'I'm an elite QB.'"</P>

I do think Eli's attitude has helped him succeed here. He just doesn't let the outside stuff get to him... Like a Flacco or a Rivers.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
you're right, his quiet personality has been talked about alot, but never as a strength.

and its completely and utterly a strength, especially in New York.

you go down the list of guys at QB that don't seem like they could handle losing streaks or, god forbid, losing seasons, like our QB has.

CDN_G-FAN
01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah. I was reading an article about Eli yesterday and there was this one line (can't remember if it was from the writer, or who*that was for that matter, or a quote within the article) but it said something to the effect of, "It says something about Eli where he's been in the NFL for 8 years playing in the largest media market and the most controversial thing he's said is, 'I'm an elite QB.'"</P>

I do think Eli's attitude has helped him succeed here. He just doesn't let the outside stuff get to him... Like a Flacco or a Rivers.</P>

its funny, both QBs that were considered better than him only a few years ago, have had trouble in small markets with their perceived or real focus in regards to just playing football.

they guy who actually has the biggest light on him has been just awesome at keeping on the field.

and think about some of the issues that have come an gone, your start WR shooting himself in the leg, your former offensive team leader saying you don't have the stones to lead the team.

all that stuff are distant memories now and basically non-stories a couple weeks after they happened BECAUSE of how Eli personally handled them.

DandyDon
01-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Ben has 2 SB rings,and you have to respect that. But recently he cant seem keep his @#$@ in his pants, and hasn't looked that good lately. Maybe he is too old to scramble like he used to, or maybe his bad press is getting to him?

Rivers has never won anything, even with his big mouth, even in a looser division, even with some really good teams, even in a small market like SD.

Eli has been ridiculed daily/yearly,in a massive New York media market. He's won one SB, and has given every indication that he is a light's-out clutch QB despite massive pressure on the field and in the media.

Go figure. Go Gints!

GiantSteve1x
01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Yeah. I was reading an article about Eli yesterday and there was this one line (can't remember if it was from the writer, or whothat was for that matter, or a quote within the article) but it said something to the effect of, "It says something about Eli where he's been in the NFL for 8 years playing in the largest media market and the most controversial thing he's said is, 'I'm an elite QB.'"</P>

its funny, both QBs that were considered better than him only a few years ago, have had trouble in small markets with their perceived or real focus in regards to just playing football. they guy who actually has the biggest light on him has been just awesome at keeping on the field. and think about some of the issues that have come an gone, your start WR shooting himself in the leg, your former offensive team leader saying you don't have the stones to lead the team. all that stuff are distant memories now and basically non-stories a couple weeks after they happened BECAUSE of how Eli personally handled them.</P>

As I look back at Eli's career so far......I am truly amazed at his inner strength. If I am being honest with myself, I would have "lost it" under the intense scrutiny and criticism (some deserved/some not) that he endured. I think it was legit to question his "elite" status as a quarterback (prior to this year), but he has <U>always</U> proven himself as an man with an elite character. I very happy for him that the accolades are now raining down.</P>

Go G-men!</P>

bflo23
01-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Ben has 2 SB rings,and you have to respect that. But recently he cant seem keep his @#$@ in his pants, and hasn't looked that good lately. Maybe he is too old to scramble like he used to, or maybe his bad press is getting to him?

Rivers has never won anything, even with his big mouth, even in a looser division, even with some really good teams, even in a small market like SD.

Eli has been ridiculed daily/yearly,in a massive New York media market. He's won one SB, and has given every indication that he is a light's-out clutch QB despite massive pressure on the field and in the media.

Go figure. Go Gints!

Nice comparison. These 3 QBs will compared for many years.

Ben Roethlesberger- (bad character and has constant off the field issues with the ladies), regular season stats are somewhat similar to Eli's.... Where Eli surpasses him is in the playoffs. Eli has much better playoff stats and is more clutch. Ben has 20TD/17 INTs in the playoffs and is responsible for the WORST SUPER BOWL PERFORMANCE by a winning QB...(123 passing yards, 2 INTs, 9 comp, 22 QB rating)

Phillip Rivers- (another bad character, whiny)... he may have the best "regular season stats" but I think he has a huge advantage by playing in the beautiful perfect condition california conditions. And is there any comparison between AFC West and the NFC East when it comes to defense. These things matter and people can't just look at the regular stats and assume which QB is the best. And in the most important post season games..... He slumps.... 79 QB rating in the playoffs and has more INTs than TDs.

Eli Manning- We all know what he does. Mr. 4th Quarter. If not the most clutch QB, he is one of the most clutch. He makes big plays, plays in a terrible windy stadium and still makes the plays and he really didn't have receiving weapons in his career until the past couple years. Shockey was overrated and not good clubhouse guy. Older past the prime Toomer and a slow Plaxico is nothing compared to his current weapons. Look at Eli when he has speedy receivers. Give him that and he looks ELITE.

NWKEffectElement
01-20-2012, 01:42 AM
I actually think one of his most rarely talked about strength is his running and scrambling ability.

bflo23
01-20-2012, 01:47 AM
I actually think one of his most rarely talked about strength is his running and scrambling ability.

This year, Eli has had the best pocket presence in his career. I've seen so many times that some DE will be coming around behind him like a foot away and I'll be like "Watch out!", then Eli just steps forward a step or two and throws a bullet TD pass. Nice scramble ability but he is still so slow. Too bad his slow speed will never improve.

bansaw
01-20-2012, 01:56 AM
8 years and he's never messed up in the media
we've had some crushing losses and he's never thrown a single guy under the bus. hell Coughlin has a few times but never Eli, not once

I've always thought it was his biggest strength tbh

bansaw
01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Rivers would have snapped by now I'm certain

calzonesays
01-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Eli is one hell of a leader. Even during the losing streak he remained upbeat.

Gmen2005
01-20-2012, 02:11 AM
It's nice to hear him talk, he is well spoken which is rare for athletes these days.

rainierjef
01-20-2012, 02:18 AM
the fact that it's controversial to say i believe myself to be an elite QB in the nfl amongst the likes of brady is just ******ed. when did brady replace god? all these analyst and fans fear, love and idolize this guy. Eli was fair in his assessment look at it like this.

brady with belicheck in a system thats catered to whos under center, Cassel stepped in for a couple games and got the starting job somewhere else, Hoyer stepped in for a couple games and was talked about like he was a good QB brady to me is a system QB and great at it, put him anywhere else and he fails.

Eli thrust into a run first offense and game manage tempo did good enough to win a ring under it, all while progressing every year in stats, then the the dreaded year where most of our receivers got the injury bug plus the O-line he Put up record numbers but was forcing too much with too little thus the interception highs. finally gets his receivers back plus one stud in cruz, at least a better line than the year before. horrible beginning defense from what it was the year before carried it on his back, completely turned a run first offense into his own pass molded offense and doing great in it. cut his into numbers down, and with no running game to help him out.

^^^ that folks is not a SYSTEM QB that an <font color="#FF0000">ELI</font>TE quarter back. give him a better pass/run blocking O-line, give him a running back like might not even need that just a line and hell throw in a Megaton that can get triple covered and still get touchdowns or a Fritz ( just for ****s and giggles ) a Jason Witten / Gronkowski type TE that can block and catch. Sweet baby jesus wouldn't that be a sight to see.

I guess what i'm saying is these other QB's are privileged
Romo - witten, Austin, Dez "when his head is in the game." murray (recently) Robinson
Ryan - white / jones / gonzales / turner
Vick - maclin, Mccoy, Jackson " when he feels like playing" and his athleticism
Stafford - frickin Megatron
Rodgers - the entire wide receiver core and TE roster
Brady- welker, branch, hernandez, gronkowski
Brees - too many names too mention smfh!!!

Eli has been doing it with less for years in a system that doesn't really cater too the prolific passing QB and all these guys are arguable considered higher than Eli by the analyst.

Ps. yeah he might look loopy at times but whenever eli gets hit unless he knows it was blatantly a late hit he doesn't Look for the refs and cry for the flag like brady or complain about getting hit unlike other QB's like vick smfh

sc_markt
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
ELI the ICE man!

yatitle
01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Look the only recent NY athlete who can compare to Eli when it comes to scrutiny and the way he has handled himself is Jeter. And lets face it, as great a player as Jeter has been he has NEVER had the pressure to carry the franchise the way Eli ( or any NFL QB for that matter) has had. As an aside, Jeter's ability to date a slew of beautiful AND famous women over the years and never have a sniff of controversy or scandal is something that in the social media world we live in today, might never be duplicated.