PDA

View Full Version : Saints fan here, Could you guys school me on Spags?

bnrwhodat
01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

Anyway, can any of you guys school me on Spagnuolo? We hired him as our new DC since Gregg Williams went with his old buddy Jeff Fisher.

I liked Gregg Williams, but he blitzed a little too much for my liking. He always said "live by the blitz, die by blitz" and thats what we did against San Fran (blitzing while in single coverage on V.Davis, when ur protecting a 3 pt lead with less then a minute left in the game?!?! Really?!)

But anyway, you guys had him as your DC for a few seasons so maybe you can give me some insight. Unfortunately, our D-Line isnt as talented as yours was (and still is) so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

sc_markt
01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

Anyway, can any of you guys school me on Spagnuolo? We hired him as our new DC since Gregg Williams went with his old buddy Jeff Fisher.

I liked Gregg Williams, but he blitzed a little too much for my liking. He always said "live by the blitz, die by blitz" and thats what we did against San Fran (blitzing while in single coverage on V.Davis, when ur protecting a 3 pt lead with less then a minute left in the game?!?! Really?!)

But anyway, you guys had him as your DC for a few seasons so maybe you can give me some insight. Unfortunately, our D-Line isnt as talented as yours was (and still is) so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

One thing I noticed while he was our D coach were second half adjustments that were made that actually worked. If we were getting run over or a team was passing at will against us, our D seemed to come back in the second half and put the kabosh on their offense. He's also a players coach. A lot of us here wanted him back, me included.

JJC7301

He's awesome, we all love him, and probably must of (including me) wanted him back before the D started playing a lot better of the past 4 weeks since getting bodies back.

He disguises the blitz very well. I don't remember him overly blitzing because we had a lot of star pass rushers, but brought the blitz to change things up, confuse the offense, and also if it were necessary. The D loved playing for him.

Congrats -- you got a keeper. I was hoping that he would hold off until whenever our season ended incase our current DC (Fewell) became a HC somewhere else.

miked1958

Well he designed the defenses that stopped TB, Dallas, GB and the 18-0 Patriots in 07. He is a great defensive mind.. He did not do well as a head coach but will turn your D around

JJC7301
01-19-2012, 10:06 PM

One thing I noticed while he was our D coach were second half adjustments that were made that actually worked. If we were getting run over or a team was passing at will against us, our D seemed to come back in the second half and put the kabosh on their offense. He's also a players coach. A lot of us here wanted him back, me included.
Great point -- his adjustments always seemed to be on target. That has been one strike against Fewell (our current DC). Hopefully Fewell has changed.

miked1958
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Well he designed the defenses that stopped TB, Dallas, GB and the 18-0 Patriots in 07. He is a great defensive mind.. He did not do well as a head coach but will turn your D around
Kind of scares me to think your Saints could have a defense as good as your offense. Scary thought. U could be unstoppable for seasons to come

Voldamort
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Players coach,will be better then Greg Williams!!! His blitzes always seem to get there! Good-Luck next year!!

gmen0820
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
He can do well with marginal talent IMO. People like to think we had an incredible amount of talent, but he took over a pretty bad defense.

The DL, that was always pretty good.

The LBers, he took Kawika Mitchell, Antonio Pierce and Reggie Torbor and won a SB with them.

Secondary was a wreck when he took over. We beat Philly in 2007 with Craig Dahl an UDFA and Michael Johnson 7th round rookie. Webster was a nobody. Ross was a rookie, Sam Madison was old, R.W McQuarters was a pretty bad starter.

He is a players coach, he runs a sound scheme, and as a DC he has had success (granted 2 years). There isn't much more you can do as a DC.

bnrwhodat
01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

gmen0820
01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Keep in mind, if some of this feedback seems unbelievably good, it probably is. We had two great years with Spags, and when he left, his legend just grew and grew.

He isn't god, but he is a good football coach who will run a sound scheme.

jhamburg
01-19-2012, 10:27 PM

I haven't followed him since he left the Giants really.

Like someone said, he doesn't bring the house every other play like Williams did, but he does love disguised/delayed/misdirection type blitzes. If your lineman are even remotely able to drop into coverage you can expect a lot of zone blitzes from him.

And as far as what you were saying about the Saints blitzing with a 3 pt lead and a minute left- Spags will absolutely keep his foot on the gas in that situation too. In fact he did blitz Brady in exactly that situation in the Super Bowl.

BigBlueOnes
01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
See if you can find our early Washington game when we were dropping games and all hope seemed lost. We wondered what we did with this guy. He got on a knee and said to them "It will come, you have to believe in it, believe in the system. I believe in you guys, trust in yourselves." (So maybe some paraphrasing there). They went out, had a goal line stand against the 'Skins and we had a SB ring at the end of the season. He can motivate, he can coach defense, and he's still missed around here. Good luck, I'm a tad jealous...

logan9839
01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Simply stated one of the best DCs in the league. He will be a HC again.

slipknottin
01-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Spags is actually less aggressive than Williams.

He generates pressure with zone blitzes more than he sends extra rushers.

GiantSteve1x
01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
He sucked.....so you should probably just send him back to us [;)]

TuckYou
01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Spags is actually less aggressive than Williams.

He generates pressure with zone blitzes more than he sends extra rushers.

He was pretty aggressive though. Bit yeah, he hid what guys were coming in and when. Problem is, I don't think the Saints have the personel we did. He may have to blitz a bunch more to protect their secondary.

JMFP2
01-19-2012, 11:23 PM

</P>

Spags will be a big improvement over Williams. Williams basically handed SF that game by not blanketing Vernon Davis.</P>

Spags picks his spots....he'll bring the house, but the other team might not realize it until too late....or he'll show blitz and drop back. The dude is very creative.</P>

Then again, he had Strahan, Tuck and Osi.....but he sure as hell used them properly.</P>

DandyDon
01-20-2012, 12:26 AM

I think Spags is huge for the Saints. Both GB and NO could have used him this year.

His HC thing was bad breaks/bad team, but the Saints will be nasty next year with him IMHO.

And better than him goin to the E'gals for me ;-)

SweetZombieJesus
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
He was Eagles LB coach for 8 years and then we picked him up as DC in 2007 for that Super Bowl year and the following year when they went 12-4 and lost in the first round (thanks, Plax!)

Great defensive mind, he out-Belichicked Belichick (whose SB XXV game plan is in the Hall of Fame for holding the unstoppable Bills offense). Held the highest scoring offense in NFL history to 14 points.

Very good at playing to player strengths and putting them into position to succeed, very aggressive and creative and his blitzing schemes had opposition in fits not knowing who's really coming and who isn't, and add in delayed blitzes. But he didn't blitz all the time, but enough to make you fear it every snap.

It didn't work out for him in St. Louis and as has been said many of us were hoping to see him back here.

BlueSanta
01-20-2012, 06:17 AM
His players will love playing for him. I wouldnt be suprised to see you guys steal away any good young rams defenders who hit free agency in the next few years.

All you have to know about him can be seen in the 2007 Superbowl. He stopped the offense that nobody else could. He stopped the WR(moss) that nobody else could either. He did this with defensive backs most non Giant fans couldnt name at the time.

GCGiant
01-20-2012, 06:49 AM
I don't think anyone is a miracle worker. Ask him how things worked out in St. Louis. He did well in NY because he had thoroughbreds playing for him. I don't see those guys on the Saints roster yet.

brad
01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Spags is a great defensive mind, but will need the right personnel to run his 46 d the way he did in NY. With this move I would expect NO to try to pick up a few DE's in the draft since his defense relies on the front 4 to set the tone. Much like Williams, he will get aggressive, relying on pressure to stop the passing game more than the secondary. It may take some time, but he will make that defense very good

jomo
01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Players like playing for him. He is fiery and the players feed off of that. He likes coaching from the sidelines so he can get the troops pumped. He is a teacher at heart. He is very good in developing game plans and excellent with mid game adjustments. He is creative in the use of personnel. He is definitely one of the better DC's in the league and maybe the best one available right now. Most of us here in NY would have him back in a heartbeat.

TuckYou
01-20-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't think anyone is a miracle worker. Ask him how things worked out in St. Louis. He did well in NY because he had thoroughbreds playing for him. I don't see those guys on the Saints roster yet.</P>

I really hate when people say things like this...</P>

Ask Bill Belichick how things worked out in Cleveland! </P>

Spags had absolutely ZERO talent in STL and this season he was hit hard with injuries, very hard, even more then the Giants. </P>

Spags is a great defensive minded HC, and when he has some players with talent, he works wonders and makes them all better. Thats what he did hear. He motivates the players and they absolutely love him and love playing hard for him. He is a great game planner and he adjusts at the half better then most coaches Ive seen. He will be very good in NO as a DC, along with that high octain offense, you guys could be rolling into the Superbowl net season, JUST HAVE TO RESIGN BREES!!. </P>

BTW, You're welcome for Spags and Sean Peyton.... jerks lol</P>

easterbeast
01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
i have noticed he is a players type coach.and a motivator.
saints will be a very very scary team with him onboard.

JesseJames
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Spags is a smart DC who can adjust his game as it unfolds and can be very aggressive when he needs to be, we loved him when he was here and you guys will be very happy you have him..

galaxy10
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM

galaxy10
01-20-2012, 10:45 AM
1. Fits his schemes to the players abilities
2. Is a players coach
3. Good half time adjustments
4. Blitzes well
5. Is creative in his defenses

An excellent DC, the Saints just got scarier to us.

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Simply put ... you guys are going to be unstoppable next year.

Having said that, Spags is A LOT like Williams in that he loves to blitz blitz blitz.

However I happen to think Spags blitz packages are more creative (and effective) then Williams' are.

Spags loves to overload blitz from either side, both disguised and straight up (ala the old Jimmy Johnson Eagles defense whom he learned under).

You guys do need a little more depth on your DLine though which I'm sure will be addressed this off season.

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind, if some of this feedback seems unbelievably good, it probably is. We had two great years with Spags, and when he left, his legend just grew and grew.

He isn't god, but he is a good football coach who will run a sound scheme.

This was compounded by the fact that we replaced a really good DC with possibly the worst DC I've ever seen (Sheridan).

Going from a top 5 defense to one of the worst in the league in the span of 1 season is a large part of why we all think Spags is god.

But he's definitely quality and as good if not better than Williams. I'm totally jealous and am another Giants fan that was hoping he'd come back here.

burier
01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
The only thing you really need to know about Spags is that he immediately gives your defense an Identity because he actually has a philosophy that he sticks to game in and game out.

He wants to get the offense in 3rd and long and then put the QBs face in the dirt.

This philosophy is predicated on stopping the run obviously.

Once he gets the third and long he'll dial up some fairly exotic blitzes unless he doesn't like the one-on-one matchups in coverage or he doesn't like the matchup with The QB.

In those cases he'll put the ownus on the frount 4 to get immediate pressure.

Simple but effective.

He brings stability. You know what you're going to get week in and week out. He's not experimenting like our current D-coordinator did most of the season. He understand what it takes to play defense. Considering that Saints have pretty good talent on that side of the ball as it is I believe you've got yourself quite a significant upgrade in the coaching staff.

Atomic1
01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm just glad he didn't go to the Eagles and we won't have to face him until next years NFCChampionship game !

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 11:15 AM

your going to LOVE spags

Knows how to bring pressure with different blitz schemes and gets the most out of players... alot of overacheivers.

We were at first hoping that Fewell would get fired and we'd get him back. Then after these past two weeks of success we were hoping Fewell gets the TB job so we can get him back

well some of us...

Spags is legit.

G-Man67
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
thank god you hired him ... now maybe some on the board will remember that we are playing in the championship game this week

the thing that impressed me most about Spags was his ability to communicate with Aaron Pierce between plays ... there were times where we seemed to know exactly what play the other team was going to run

however, there is still a question about whether the players made the coach or the coach made the players .... when you have Strahan, Osi, Tuck and Kiwi all pointed towards the opposing QB ... that's going to make you look pretty good and these players were successful either pre-Spags / post-Spags or both

obviously the rest of the league is hoping that it is the latter, b/c you guys are nearly unbeatable at home ... if you put together a road warrior type defence, well it could be trouble for the rest of the league

Raptor22
01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Congrats on getting Spags (dammit...)

Spags builds from the D-line out, and bases his entire defensive philosophy on getting pressure on the QB.

Ideally he wants to get pressure with the front 4 on 1st and 2nd down, and then mix things up on 3rd down. However, he also tends to believe "When in doubt: Blitz". He's a VERY aggressive DC, and does not shy away from sending the house, and he CAN get burned by a good screen game.

The way I see it, the biggest difference between Spags and our current DC (Fewell, who you may wind up seeing in Tampa) is that Spags breaks the defense up into the front 7, and back 4, while Fewell divides it into the front 4 and back 7. As far as Spags is concerned, the job of the secondary is to keep the ball in the QB's hand long enough to get him on the ground (See: SBXLII). If they come up with a turnover, that's gravy.

I'd expect his first few games to be rough, as he gets used to your personnel and they get used to him, but once he starts molding it to how he wants it... well, I just hope our game is the first one on the schedule.

Dammit, you guys owe us a W, you got Peyton AND Spags from us (after a bit, but still).

Voldamort
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Sit back and watch,Spag's is good!

stumms
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I love spags but how much credit can I give him if perry wins with the same group? I think when John Fox was here our defense was awesome but we had no offense with Kanel at QB. I think the Saints defense will be better but unless Brees takes a pay cut or they get lucky in the draft they have no rushers..

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, I see it like this... The places where he's had success, he's had the players. In St Louis it's hard to compare seeing as he was the HC not just DC. I think his success/failure in NO is dependent on whether or not your front office is willing to get him his players or not.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I love spags but how much credit can I give him if perry wins with the same group? I think when John Fox was here our defense was awesome but we had no offense with Kanel at QB. I think the Saints defense will be better but unless Brees takes a pay cut or they get lucky in the draft they have no rushers..

same group?

we have better DTs, OLBs, and safteys than we did in 07

you can debate CBs

and i'll give Pierce of 07 was better than blackburn

but DEs push.... JPP is a beast much like Strahan was that year.

lawl
01-20-2012, 12:54 PM

same group?

you can debate CBs

The 08 squad was even worse and our defense was better that year.

GiantInNorway
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Seriously, watch Super Bowl 42 again. Spags is a god around here :) He was the real MVP there.

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Seriously, watch Super Bowl 42 again. Spags is a god around here :) He was the real MVP there.

Only to some. Personally I believe it's more about the players. But as far as his style of play calling I do like an aggressive D and he certainly does that well.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:06 PM

same group?

you can debate CBs

i guess - good point

a50yrfan
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Spags is a great fit for you guys. Our great fear was that he would end up on Philly but much better that you have him he is a geat coach. I believe he was the main factor for our awesome defenses in the Super bowl and the year after when we were 12-4 with the toughest schedule in football. I think he and Saen Peyton will get along very well. In my book he is better than Greg Williams. I think Williams and Peyton probably did not get along too well. Glad for you guys. We giants fans all loved spags.

jjj45
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM

same group?

you can debate CBs

i guess - good point
hey Matt, please check ur pm.

stumms
01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I think he would of been better to take the Philly job thank god he didn't because they have a great d roster. I think the saints will be a notch better but unless they draft all defense and Brees take a pay cut they will have no money to spend on the defense.

BParcells777
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
he is the best in the business......kudoos to you and our ex coach Sean Payton

pino
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Loves the zone blitz, and a product of legendary Jim Johnson. Not sure what his plan will be with the Saints, but he's a smart guy.

I think he's an improvement over Gregg Williams. He was not given the chance or the personnel to turn the Rams around (their offense was a joke).

bnrwhodat
01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. Gave me some great insight.

Obviously I know we wont have a 07 Giants type of defense, because simply do not have that type of talent on the defensive line like you guys had. But we do have some young players that look like they have some untapped potential. But its sad when you 3 leading tacklers on defense are all DB's. We will definetily need to get better at linebacker, we literally have the worst linebacking corps in the league, even with Vilma. It seems like Gregg Williams wasnt good at developing some of these guys, and it seems like he put too much on them instead of just leading them play. Too many damn formations.
Our offense will continue to hum so we dont need a Top 5 defense, Im just hoping he can get our defense to be physical, create turnovers, knockout some QB's, and make teams earn it!

Anyway, good luck to you guys this weekend and I hope you guys go all the way. How hilarious would it be if you guys face the Patriots in the Super Bowl and beat them again. LMAO

hungrrrry
01-20-2012, 07:57 PM

He is every bit as good as Williams but you guys did lose a good DC...but you didn't lose an edge on D. You may have even gained one. Spags is going to be great for you...He will Blitz if your talent level is mediocre but dont worry you will never have a soft defense