PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jacobs IS SOFT!!!

elitime
01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
I have written this before , a 6'4 265LB man should run harder than Jacobs does. RUN through the friggin line, dont studder step and take it the outside. there are no more Campbells,bettis, hell even a Natrone Means...Bradshaw runs harder.

slipknottin
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
The best HBs in the NFL are the ones who are patient and wait to hit holes instead of running into the backside of their offensive linemen.

Jacobs has more of an issue with balance than being "soft".

Higher center of gravity = less balance to begin with.

Thats why lower guys can run with more power. Low man wins.

Jacobs trys to get low, then stumbles and falls foward.

EliTE
01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
to be fair i've seen jacobs run hard into the line plenty of times, he usually plows right into his own o-linemen's back because they create no holes. also there's plenty of times he smashed right into the line when he should have bounced it outside.

BillTheGreek
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Jerry Rice said Jacobs is SOFT........Jacobs replied....Let him try and Tackle me.........
"GO GIANTS"

elitime
01-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Really? He is soft. A patient runner? Im sorry I have a 265Lb RB I will tell him to destroy whoever is in his way. He does not have the speed to bounce outside runs, and he does run hard when he is called out then the next game he gets tripped up by a CB. awesome! He should be a pounder not a patient runner. Sorry that is just me. We have our speed, he should be our punisher. who cares if he only lasts 5,6,7 years his job is to run over people. Like I said Earl Campbell ran like the defense slapped his mother everydown. I care less what happens after there carrers are over...millions of dollars paid, do it consistently. Bye Bye Jacobs. It might sound like Im not a fan but I just expect more from players.

TheCatchIII
01-19-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm not saying this as a Niner fan, but as a FF player as well.

I have to say, Jacobs has always seemed like a little big man to me. Runs to upright. I always thought he could make better use of his size.

2 pennies....

fourth&forever
01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
BJ needs a larger opening to run through than Bradshaw does.

ashleymarie
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Ask Terence Newman how soft Jacobs is.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:08 AM
* Runs to upright.*

Thats because hes 6'4.... Hard to run small when you are the tallest HB in the league.

elitime
01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Newname weighs 100Lbs less than jacobs. He should be running him over. The guy weighs as much or even more than some DE in the league. I have played with big guys and im not a big man..5'9" 225Lbs when i played but it seems like a team should not draft running backs that are 6'4" they are too tall...I've seen it ..they cant get low enough. what a waste. Low man does win I broke more tackles than the other BIG men.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Newname weighs 100Lbs less than jacobs. He should be running him over. The guy weighs as much or even more than some DE in the league. I have played with big guys and im not a big man..5'9" 225Lbs when i played but it seems like a team should not draft running backs that are 6'4" they are too tall...I've seen it ..they cant get low enough. what a waste. Low man does win I broke more tackles than the other BIG men.

Considering Jacobs has had a couple 1000 yard seasons, and has been pretty damn productive... I would think you are wrong.

Could a shorter Jacobs be even more productive? Probably, but he cant get shorter.

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 12:14 AM

How'd Eric ****erson do ?

DEgiants89
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
The best HBs in the NFL are the ones who are patient and wait to hit holes instead of running into the backside of their offensive linemen.

you have to admit though, sometimes he is patient but the holes arent there at times so he gets to be too patient back there =\

poppa smurph
01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
It'd be funny if, in a twisted world everybody who says stuff like, " He's soft..", " He's gotta run harder..", be made to line-up against the guy.</P>

You're right ashma, ask Terrence Newman...</P>

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:17 AM
you have to admit though, sometimes he is patient but the holes arent there at times so he gets to be too patient back there =\

Hes been better lately about just taking the 2 or so yards he can get when there is no hole to run through.

elitime
01-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Eric did great ..umm...but he was also how much faster than Jacobs? Speed kills..no matter how tall you are. ****erson had the speed to do what Jacobs is trying to do.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:26 AM
And this nonsense about Jacobs being slow is annoying. Jacobs is faster than bradshaw once he gets going. He just doesnt have the agility and the stop/start bradshaw does.

elitime
01-20-2012, 12:31 AM
YOU ARE RIGHT...sorry but you are Bradshaw's 40 time...4.55. Jacobs 40 time...4.56. Wow! your right seems like Bradshaw is faster ..he is just quicker. I can admit when Im wrong about something...but I just dont like jacobs. ha,ha.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:34 AM
There was an article a season or two ago that Jacobs is now running in the 4.4s.

DandyDon
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM

Most good NFL RBs are thick and short for a reason. Lower center of gravity for cuts, less tackle area, harder to see (duh).

BJ is so tall and runs so upright that he is prone to be tackled easily low, especially behind the LOS. But give him that 3-4 yards downhill, he can and does scare LBs and DBs and make big plays

He is what he is - my only beef with him is on short yardage plays. I think if he got as low as he can (or used his hight to leap?) he would convert more short yardage plays.

But I WOULD like to see Jerry Rice try to tackle him head on....OUCH.

GiantWarfare
01-20-2012, 12:39 AM

As slipknottin said, its an issue of balance more so than "soft".

"Soft" implies reluctant to be physical or shying away from physicality, and I'm sure its common knowledge that Jacobs with a head of steam is untackleable (sure thats not a word...lol) if the defenders dare take him on high...

but when you go for his legs (a pretty big target considering he's 6'4), then he's gonna go down.

Jacobs is as physical a football player as there is.

Though he's not an effective runner anymore, and his production has gone down, you can't deny the dude's toughness.

Bradshaw can be harder to take down because he has a very low center of gravity to go along w/ his physical style of running.

Low man wins, nothing to do w/ "soft".

elitime
01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Now all that you have said..seriously why draft a guy like that? I personally would have stayed away from him..yeah i know he has had a couple good seasons, but your right he is not a short yardage back.weird to say because he is huge. You guys can make fun a Rice but what can you say about the way he played? Think he is one of or the best at his postion. Rice tackle him? ok lets see Jacobs cover Rice..come on guys/girls. He is not the back we want , we havent really ,i think, found that 1 guy to be the stud.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:45 AM
He was a fourth round pick who has had multiple 1000 yard seasons. Thats why he was drafted... He was/is a damn good back. Not an elite back, but still plenty useful.

His ypc for his career is 4.5... thats better than ****erson for comparison.

bflo23
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
This is what I think of Jacobs.

1. When he started his career, he was really upright when he ran. Then he learned to run lower and he was running great. This year, he isn't running as low as he was just last season. Running lower probably gets you an extra .5-1 yard after a tackle. Running high kind of helps defensive players because it is easier to aim for his legs. Maybe if he just lowers a half foot, there may be big difference. (More upright running style)
2. The holes in the line aren't there compared to last season. It isn't for either Bradshaw or Jacobs. And when there is a hole, it is probably a small opening just for a split second. This is where Bradshaw's quickness takes advantage. Jacobs has speed for his size when he is going but of course he doesn't have the quickness like a Bradshaw to hit the hole up the middle. (Blaming O-line)
3. Hole recognition hasn't been there. Sometimes we see him bounce off his o-line's backs or will just miss the hole and run in the wrong spot and get a short carry. (Could improve on recognizing holes)
4. Blame play selection! When he comes in, defenses zone on him because they believe it will be a handoff and then it is. I know he doesn't block great or run receiving routes much but if they did use Jacobs for other things than constantly just rushing, defenses won't zone on him and expect running all the time. (Blame play selection)
5. I keep on seeing people say "Don't run outside when he is so big." Can defenders run him down from behind? Yea sometimes but Jacobs also had plenty of his biggest runs running on the outside. I'm pretty sure Jacobs had his highest avg yards running to the outside right in 2010 season. Jacobs is fast enough to outrun a LB and a defensive lineman. And cornerbacks and safeties want no part of tackling him. He runs over the smaller defenders like a train. That is why he runs to the outside!

poppa smurph
01-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Now all that you have said..seriously why draft a guy like that? I personally would have stayed away from him..yeah i know he has had a couple good seasons, but your right he is not a short yardage back.weird to say because he is huge. You guys can make fun a Rice but what can you say about the way he played? Think he is one of or the best at his postion. Rice tackle him? ok lets see Jacobs cover Rice..come on guys/girls. He is not the back we want , we havent really ,i think, found that 1 guy to be the stud.Jacobs is not calling out Jerry Rice.</P>

Jacobs could give 2 ***** about Jerry Rice right now.</P>

More importantly, why draft a guy like that???</P>

Take yourself back to that draft and ask yourself, " You can have this guy for 7 years and he'll ultimatetly lead your franchise in career TD's rushing. "</P>

You'd be an idiot to say no.</P>

Giant stuck in Texas
01-20-2012, 12:54 AM
What a dumb thread........

appodictic
01-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Now all that you have said..seriously why draft a guy like that? I personally would have stayed away from him..yeah i know he has had a couple good seasons, but your right he is not a short yardage back.weird to say because he is huge. You guys can make fun a Rice but what can you say about the way he played? Think he is one of or the best at his postion. Rice tackle him? ok lets see Jacobs cover Rice..come on guys/girls. He is not the back we want , we havent really ,i think, found that 1 guy to be the stud.Jacobs is not calling out Jerry Rice.</p>

Jacobs could give 2 ***** about Jerry Rice right now.</p>

More importantly, why draft a guy like that???</p>

Take yourself back to that draft and ask yourself, " You can have this guy for 7 years and he'll ultimatetly lead your franchise in career TD's rushing. "</p>

You'd be an idiot to say no.</p>

+1 man Jacobs is a Warrior. Tiki was great right? But Jacobs came in and the giants won a championship. He is running strong now and he might get two rings.

His skill is waiting for holes to open up and hitting them with good speed. Also he is just demoralizing to the other team at times. If jacobs gets rolling you see players not want to tackle him. Especially once the giants get ahead.

He looks really strong this year too.

poppa smurph
01-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Now all that you have said..seriously why draft a guy like that? I personally would have stayed away from him..yeah i know he has had a couple good seasons, but your right he is not a short yardage back.weird to say because he is huge. You guys can make fun a Rice but what can you say about the way he played? Think he is one of or the best at his postion. Rice tackle him? ok lets see Jacobs cover Rice..come on guys/girls. He is not the back we want , we havent really ,i think, found that 1 guy to be the stud.Jacobs is not calling out Jerry Rice.</P>

Jacobs could give 2 ***** about Jerry Rice right now.</P>

More importantly, why draft a guy like that???</P>

Take yourself back to that draft and ask yourself, " You can have this guy for 7 years and he'll ultimatetly lead your franchise in career TD's rushing. "</P>

You'd be an idiot to say no.</P>

+1 man Jacobs is a Warrior. Tiki was great right? But Jacobs came in and the giants won a championship. He is running strong now and he might get two rings.

His skill is waiting for holes to open up and hitting them with good speed. Also he is just demoralizing to the other team at times. If jacobs gets rolling you see players not want to tackle him. Especially once the giants get ahead.

He looks really strong this year too.
[Y]</P>

</P>

DandyDon
01-20-2012, 01:29 AM
He was a fourth round pick who has had multiple 1000 yard seasons. Thats why he was drafted... He was/is a damn good back. Not an elite back, but still plenty useful.

His ypc for his career is 4.5... thats better than ****erson for comparison.

Yup?

bflo23
01-20-2012, 01:39 AM
I have written this before , a 6'4 265LB man should run harder than Jacobs does. RUN through the friggin line, dont studder step and take it the outside. there are no more Campbells,bettis, hell even a Natrone Means...Bradshaw runs harder.

I don't understand the ripping on Jacobs on what he has done for the Giants.

1. 4th round pick
2. 4.5 yards per rush FOR HIS CAREER
3. 56 rushing TD (All-time rushing record)
4. 2 time 1,000 yard rusher (could be more but he splits carries now)
5. 15 RUSHING TDs in one season..... Soft?
6. He had 5.6 yards per rush last season

Nobody in their right mind would take Natrone Means 3.7 yards per rush (career) over Jacobs career.

shotcalla39
01-20-2012, 02:47 AM

Stupid thread... He used to run everyone over and he's slowed down with age and wear and tear.... But he's still very effective late in games and fires up this teak.... He's and integral part of our success... He brings a lot of toughness to the giants ... Im sure many defenders are a nit intimidated by him even when he's only gaining q couple yards

miked1958
01-20-2012, 04:36 AM
Really? He is soft. A patient runner? Im sorry I have a 265Lb RB I will tell him to destroy whoever is in his way. He does not have the speed to bounce outside runs, and he does run hard when he is called out then the next game he gets tripped up by a CB. awesome! He should be a pounder not a patient runner. Sorry that is just me. We have our speed, he should be our punisher. who cares if he only lasts 5,6,7 years his job is to run over people. Like I said Earl Campbell ran like the defense slapped his mother everydown. I care less what happens after there carrers are over...millions of dollars paid, do it consistently. Bye Bye Jacobs. It might sound like Im not a fan but I just expect more from players.True. But over his career he has actually scored several TDs bouncing outside. Did It on the game clincher and the GB DBacks and LBers could not catch him

miked1958
01-20-2012, 04:39 AM

Stupid thread..X. He used to run everyone over and he's slowed down with age and wear and tear.... But he's still very effective late in games and fires up this teak.... He's and integral part of our success... He brings a lot of toughness to the giants ... Im sure many defenders are a nit intimidated by him even when he's only gaining q couple yards
Agreed. Very good asset to have. It will be stopped for 1yard gain, stopped for no gain. Then a 20 yard run while running over 2or 3 guys. How many time has he been stopped and then u se the pile move 3 or 4 more yards

miked1958
01-20-2012, 04:40 AM
J. Rice is stupid for saying that. There is no way a statement like that can benefit his team this sunday

Slunk3AM
01-20-2012, 06:10 AM
J. Rice is stupid for saying that. There is no way a statement like that can benefit his team this sunday

I don't really understand all these people talking about how soft Jacobs is. Running is more than just the ability of the runner. In fact, the runner RELIES on the offensive line to open up gaps for them to shoot through. I agree he looks stupid when our running game isn't working but this isn't 100% his fault.

Our offensive line is much better at pass protection than run blocking.

Also somebody mentioned that he would have Jacobs run THROUGH the line... but, uh, he has tried to do that. I don't think its that simple to just run over OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINEMEN who are much larger and stronger than Jacobs is.

Most of the struggles running the ball are on the offensive line.

Slunk3AM
01-20-2012, 06:10 AM

I don't really understand all these people talking about how soft Jacobs is. Running is more than just the ability of the runner. In fact, the runner RELIES on the offensive line to open up gaps for them to shoot through. I agree he looks stupid when our running game isn't working but this isn't 100% his fault.

Also somebody mentioned that he would have Jacobs run THROUGH the line... but, uh, he has tried to do that. I don't think its that simple to just run over OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINEMEN who are much larger and stronger than Jacobs is.

BillTheGreek
01-20-2012, 06:30 AM

JACOBS IS SOFT AS A MACK TRUCK ! RUN THEM OVER BRANDON ! THIS WEEK TRY RUNNING ON THE OUTSIDE, YOU DO BEST THAT WAY, YOU PICK UP MOMENTUM, THEN THEY CAN'T STOP YOU. **GO GIANTS** !

JerseyFamily
01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I Love all Giants fans, but some of you seem to be hatin' on Jacobs. The man is NOT soft. He's got HEART and he is very strong and he is VERY large/solid he needs a path, but every other team knows he is a huge threat if he gets the chance. I have seen Jacobs run through guys-----hell i've seen him run through guys while other guys are still hanging on to his legs. Maybe lately it seems that way some how, but I have been watching Jacobs for years. The man is a beast.
We all Luv Ya JACOBS*****GO GIANTS******

JimC
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I see why Jacobs is always getting tripped up. When he takes a running step forward his feet are only a couple of inches up in the air. When an offensive lineman is blocking Jacobs can't lift his feet up high enough to step over legs etc. that are in the hole, so he trips and falls down. If you look at his running style it looks like a cross country skier.

BillTheGreek
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I see why Jacobs is always getting tripped up.* When he takes a running step forward his feet are only a couple of inches up in the air.* When an offensive lineman is blocking Jacobs can't lift his feet up high enough to step over legs etc. that are in the hole, so he trips and falls down.* If you look at his running style it looks like a cross country skier.

DON"T WORRY: JimC THIS SUNDAY HE WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE, AND LIFT HIS FEET REAL HIGH FOR THE TD's...GO GIANTS

BillTheGreek
01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
YOU ARE RIGHT...sorry but you are Bradshaw's 40 time...4.55. Jacobs 40 time...4.56. Wow! your right seems like Bradshaw is faster ..he is just quicker. I can admit when Im wrong about something...but I just dont like jacobs. ha,ha.

JACOBS, LISTEN TO YOUR UNCLE SAM TODAY, RUN ON THE OUTSIDE......
RUN BRADON, RUN BRADON, LET BRADSHAW Run THROUGH THE MIDDLE ! BEATING the 49ers isn't everything; it's the only thing !

look@dafilm
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Except for when it "motivates" Jacobs to run harder and he ends up fumbling 3 times in the SF rain.

Blue daddy
01-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Jacobs has good reason to run hard due to the fact that the Giants most likely will not be able to keep him next year . He's playing for a job next year which makes him very dangerious. What a better way to show what you have then to run your way into another Super bowl win. To him SF is just another speed bump in the way.

swordfish
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM

How'd Eric ****erson do ?Eric ****erson had size and blazing speed, plus he hit the hole like a smaller back, Jacobs from my viewpoint misses the open hole too many time, instead of hitting the hole he tries to run over his blockers backs, and he should stop trying to run east and west, go north and south, running 5-10 yards sideways is never a good idea, even for a smaller back.

T.Rice57
01-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Our offensive line doesn't open holes, and our backs get hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. On short yardage plays we get blown off the ball and produce 0 push. Our problems in the running game stem directly from the inability of our line to open holes and create a push....our RB's are not the problem

Voldamort
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Jacobs will be a BEAST TODAY!!!

Mod_C
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM

And yet he's one of the top franchise running backs

chasjay
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Jacobs will be a BEAST TODAY!!!

Even Patrick Willis doesn't <u>want </u>to go full front impact with Jacobs. Not suggesting he'll shy away from it - not for a minute - but even Willis will give BJ an extra yard for the chance to take an angle on him instead of head on. IMHO!