PDA

View Full Version : Holt says Mario best Giants route runner.

nYg24
01-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Tory Holt when talking about the Giant receivers mentioned that MM might be the best route runner out of the group. Thought this was pretty funny because that is his bigger flaw, or at least it was. He seems to be doing a better job lately.

NY_Eli
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Tory Holt when talking about the Giant receivers mentioned that MM might be the best route runner out of the group. Thought this was pretty funny because that is his bigger flaw, or at least it was. He seems to be doing a better job lately.

He's been a very good route runner for the last few years, I would be inclined to believe Holt. His biggest problems are focus and consistency.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 12:43 AM
In terms of pure route runner I would agree.

But MM has the mental lapses and doesn't always run the one he is supposed to.

BlueBlitzer
01-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Remember when all the cynics were saying, He was too stupid to learn the playbook. I just saw too many Wolverine games to know He was NFL material.

nYg24
01-20-2012, 12:57 AM
I guess when he runs the right route he's good but i often notice Eli looking at him like "what are you doing". MM is my favorite out of the bunch, he has great physical ability but for as long as he's been he's proven that he's not to intelligent.

nYg24
01-20-2012, 12:57 AM
I guess when he runs the right route he's good but i often notice Eli looking at him like "what are you doing". MM is my favorite out of the bunch, he has great physical ability but for as long as he's been he's proven that he's not to intelligent.

bearbryant
01-20-2012, 01:41 AM
He is quick, fast... speedy!!!! Has lapses of those routes, once in a whilethough.

Gmen2005
01-20-2012, 02:24 AM
His fakes are incredible. He just needs to get the mental part down.

miked1958
01-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Nice.
It's pick your poision with those 3

pt1028
01-20-2012, 05:38 AM

I still remember the Giants/SF game this season where Eli threw an interception - it was debated whether it was Eli's mistake or if Manningham just stopped his route.

jomo
01-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Tory Holt when talking about the Giant receivers mentioned that MM might be the best route runner out of the group. Thought this was pretty funny because that is his bigger flaw, or at least it was. He seems to be doing a better job lately.Tory has clearly taken one too many blows to the head! [:D]</P>

MM has been doing a better job lately.</P>

GMENAGAIN
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
He may run a good route, but he doesn't always run the route he is supposed to run . . . that's the problem

Kase-1
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Mario has def stepped his game up (especially after that route he gave up on last time in SF) but by no means is he our best route runner.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Mario is getting a HUUUGE deal next year, it just won't be with us

not unless we let Cruz walk away

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 09:46 AM

I don't think so. On either account.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM

def not letting Cruz get away I would think

but Mario is getting a big contract next year somewhere.

MikeIsaGiant
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
He's looked good as of late, but so far IMO, Cruz has looked amazing

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 10:45 AM

I caught that this morning and had to laugh at these "analysts". Although it just might be a failing of not following the particular team closely and/or seeing a particularly good game of the player in question and assuming he always plays like that.

But yeah, saying MM is our best route runner is like saying Brandon Jacobs is our best punter.

Voldamort
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
He mite have the worst hands of the 3?

NYtoSanDiego
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM

i'm just happy eli has three to five guys he can trust. watching the gilbride interview yesterday he talked about cruz and his development "our offense is not just run a 12yd curl or 10yd in cut". just this morning on espn radio troy brown was on the radio talking about why ocho cinco isn't playing well and he said it's because of the patriots "site adjustment offense, which he isn't used to".

9:50 http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/Offensive-Coordinator-Kevin-Gilbride/24b0897b-f5e0-4d5c-ae68-f797099c201e

so, wonderlic aside i think mario for the past two years has done a great job knowing our offense.

Itlan
01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
He mite have the worst hands of the 3?He has the highest catch rate of any receiver. What the hell are you talking about?

And Mario IS our best route runner. He is in and out of his breaks faster than any of our receivers, and never tips his routes like Nicks does.

G-Man67
01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
well Holt would know ... the guy was a great route runner ... Mario's confidence seems to have come back and he could be a huge weapon for us Sunday

Zaggs
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Pretty sure any time there is "miscommunication" it mostly seems to involve Manningham.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Pretty sure any time there is "miscommunication" it mostly seems to involve Manningham.

thats a pretty bland statement

there was a miscommunication last game vs the 9ers and it involved Mario, but it was actually Eli's fault. He missed a read

Itlan
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Really? Because this season, communication breakdowns have come with Cruz? How many times did Eli throw that wheel route and Cruz ran an in route?

The blind hatred for Manningham is ridiculous.

Redeyejedi
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM

But MM has the mental lapses and doesn't always run the one he is supposed to.LMAO. Mario man that was a sweet skinny post but the call was a Bubble screen.

I really like Mario it would be nice if they could keep him but I have my doubts he will be resigned

Zaggs
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Really? Because this season, communication breakdowns have come with Cruz? How many times did Eli throw that wheel route and Cruz ran an in route?

Cruz is in reality a first year player, thats supposed to happen with him. Manningham doesn't have that excuse.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:24 PM

But MM has the mental lapses and doesn't always run the one he is supposed to.LMAO. Mario man that was a sweet skinny post but the call was a Bubble screen.

I really like Mario it would be nice if they could keep him but I have my doubts he will be resigned

no shot

we have to keep cruz over him, we won't have alot of cap space, and somebody is going to pay that man...

Carolina or SD are my early guesses

edit: or chitown

Firenugget

I think we can find a way to pay him "enough" to want to stay and/or structure a contract that doesn't kill us for what he's worth. But if someone is willing to pay him way over his worth, then sure, he'll be gone and we'll move on. As much as I like him (and I definitely do) he's not irreplaceable.

Also why do you keep saying we have to sign Cruz? He's signed for another year and is a RFA in 2013. How does he have anything to do with Manningham? It's not a given they will rework his contract after 1 year of production.

Kruunch

That's been a recurring theme in KG's offense since 2009.

MM has a bad habit of running a sloppy route. A good example of this is how he tends to wander to the side line on a go route (instead of giving a sideline cushion for Eli to be able to place the ball over the top of him).

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM

I think we can find a way to pay him "enough" to want to stay and/or structure a contract that doesn't kill us for what he's worth. But if someone is willing to pay him way over his worth, then sure, he'll be gone and we'll move on. As much as I like him (and I definitely do) he's not irreplaceable.

u guys are really undervaluing him

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM

He's produced big in some big spots.

My favorite memory of MM is him stepping up his consistancy during the 2009 season when we couldn't keep a receiver on the field.

However he's not worth big money and I sincerely doubt he will get that kind of contract (and virtually no chance of getting that with the Giants).

He's just not that great of a receiver. Unreliable hands, not a speed vertical guy, sloppy route running and not particularly bright.

I would say his next contract will be somewhere in the area of $4mil and change a year for 3-4 years barring any amazing amount of heroics in the next two games.

Zaggs
01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

there was a miscommunication last game vs the 9ers and it involved Mario, but it was actually Eli's fault. He missed a read

Eli is going to take blame no matter what. But Manningham stopped his route. Replay on NFL network and what do they say? Manningham stopped his route. The middle was clear for Manningham to make the play.

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM

...39 Receptions and 4 TD's (Reg season) how is anyone undervaluing him? His big play ability is tough to replace, I'll give you that, no question. But if we were to lose him we aren't up the creek exactly unless WR's start dropping from injury.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM

My favorite memory of MM is him stepping up his consistancy during the 2009 season when we couldn't keep a receiver on the field.

However he's not worth big money and I sincerely doubt he will get that kind of contract (and virtually no chance of getting that with the Giants).

He's just not that great of a receiver. Unreliable hands, sloppy route running and not particularly bright.

I would say his next contract will be somewhere in the area of $4mil and change a year for 3-4 years barring any amazing amount of heroics in the next two games.

actually I am going to recant a little on the money just because the FA class for WRs are insane.

but Manningham is a game breaker. We're not in good cap shape and Mckenzie, Goff, T2, Ross, Cruz, Ballard, and Manningham are all FAs next year. All of them except for McKenzie are on **** contracts. Mix in the fact that Jacobs has seemingly earned his spot here next year and we have no idea what we are going to do wtih Osi - we're not looking good money wise.

We're not going to have the money to even give Mario a 4mil a year deal and keep Cruz, IMO. We're still going to have to sign Nicks in two years and give him a huge deal. Nobody has had a better start to their career except Randy Moss statistically. Let us win a ring this year and Nicks is going to get DOUGH.

What kind of contract do u think Cruz is getting?

Manningham has proved his worth. He had like a bad run of drops that people won't forget. That kid stepped up to the plate and PRODUCED. Legit #2 and can be a #1 on a ****ty WR core like Jax, Chi, or even SF. I'll take Manningham over Crabtree.

Hes a WR that produces, his routes and hands aren't nearly as bad as some would reference here. Like I said, hes just another non-fan favorite. All that seems to be remembered is the bad and not the great plays hes made for us

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM

...39 Receptions and 4 TD's (Reg season) how is anyone undervaluing him? His big play ability is tough to replace, I'll give you that, no question. But if we were to lose him we aren't up the creek exactly unless WR's start dropping from injury.

how many football are played with?

just curious because u make it seem like there were opportunities between his injury and the fact that Cruz exploded.

I notice u left out the fact that he only played 12 regular season games.... so really as a third receiver he was on pace to like 40-45 receptions, 700-800 yards, 5-7 TDs

u forget that last year he was the second part of the best statistical duo of WRs in the NFL

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Eli is going to take blame no matter what. But Manningham stopped his route. Replay on NFL network and what do they say? Manningham stopped his route. The middle was clear for Manningham to make the play.

no, it was absolutely on Eli. He missed the sight adjustment.

The only thing clear was where Mario was running, Eli threw it across the middle with 4 defenders there.

Im somebody whose been labeled an Eli apologist as well, so theres no agenda here. I thought the same thing and got into a debate here. I then went to the video and watched it and it was clear that Manningham was making the adjustment and Eli didn't. Eli then threw in the middle of 4 defenders while Manningham was alone

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 01:48 PM

just curious because u make it seem like there were opportunities between his injury and the fact that Cruz exploded.

I notice u left out the fact that he only played 12 regular season games.... so really as a third receiver he was on pace to like 40-45 receptions, 700-800 yards, 5-7 TDs

u forget that last year he was the second part of the best statistical duo of WRs in the NFL

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not suggesting he isn't a very good 3rd WR or that he couldn't be a 2 or 1 somewhere. My only point is that no team is breaking the bank to get him and if they do, they're stupid and that we aren't "screwed" if we were to lose him.

I'm not saying I want to replace him, just simply that he can be.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not suggesting he isn't a very good 3rd WR or that he couldn't be a 2 or 1 somewhere. My only point is that no team is breaking the bank to get him and if they do, they're stupid.

not breaking the bank and i take back the money thing only because of the FA WR class next year which includes: Reggie Wayne, Wes Welker, VJack, DJack, Dwayne Bowe, Colston, Stevie Johnson, and Brandon Lloyd.

all legit #1 WRs... it will hurt Mario's value.

But Mario is a legit #2 WR, low end #1 in this league. His game breaking ability gives him that respect. Otherwise he would of been overpaid by somebody in the open market

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM

He's just not that great of a receiver. Unreliable hands, sloppy route running and not particularly bright.

actually I am going to recant a little on the money just because the FA class for WRs are insane.

but Manningham is a game breaker.* We're not in good cap shape and Mckenzie, Goff, T2, Ross, Cruz, Ballard, and Manningham are all FAs next year.* All of them except for McKenzie are on **** contracts. Mix in the fact that Jacobs has seemingly earned his spot here next year and we have no idea what we are going to do wtih Osi - we're not looking good money wise.

We're not going to have the money to even give Mario a 4mil a year deal and keep Cruz, IMO. We're still going to have to sign Nicks in two years and give him a huge deal. Nobody has had a better start to their career except Randy Moss statistically. Let us win a ring this year and Nicks is going to get DOUGH.

Manningham has proved his worth. He had like a bad run of drops that people won't forget. That kid stepped up to the plate and PRODUCED. Legit #2 and can be a #1 on a ****ty WR core like Jax, Chi, or even SF. I'll take Manningham over Crabtree.

Hes a WR that produces, his routes and hands aren't nearly as bad as some would reference here.* Like I said, hes just another non-fan favorite. All that seems to be remembered is the bad and not the great plays hes made for us

The problem with MM is while he's given you flashes of greatness, he's never been consistant enough to be thought of a great receiver (at least in my mind).

To my way of thinking he's a solid #2 (not particularly great but solid) and a great #3. But I can understand the warm and fuzzies about him .... he does produce and he is a Giant ... home grown and all. However as you pointed out, I doubt we keep just from a cap perspective.

Cruz is going to be really rough and the ball is totally in his court. He could ask for HUGE money and he would get it from another team. If I'm the Giants FO, I'm praying that he still thinks of himself as a shlub who has to make the roster next year and not an *emerged* super star. Again if I'm playing FO guy, I offer him a contract similar to what we did with Osi and Tuck ... 7 years $40 mil and half of that guaranteed and hopefully blind him with dollar figures and not length of terms.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM

but Manningham is a game breaker. We're not in good cap shape and Mckenzie, Goff, T2, Ross, Cruz, Ballard, and Manningham are all FAs next year. All of them except for McKenzie are on **** contracts. Mix in the fact that Jacobs has seemingly earned his spot here next year and we have no idea what we are going to do wtih Osi - we're not looking good money wise.

Hes a WR that produces, his routes and hands aren't nearly as bad as some would reference here. Like I said, hes just another non-fan favorite. All that seems to be remembered is the bad and not the great plays hes made for us

The problem with MM is while he's given you flashes of greatness, he's never been consistant enough to be thought of a great receiver (at least in my mind).

To my way of thinking he's a solid #2 (not particularly great but solid) and a great #3. But I can understand the warm and fuzzies about him .... he does produce and he is a Giant ... home grown and all. However as you pointed out, I doubt we keep just from a cap perspective.

Cruz is going to be really rough and the ball is totally in his court. He could ask for HUGE money and he would get it from another team. If I'm the Giants FO, I'm praying that he still thinks of himself as a shlub who has to make the roster next year and not an *emerged* super star. Again if I'm playing FO guy, I offer him a contract similar to what we did with Osi and Tuck ... 7 years $40 mil and half of that guaranteed and hopefully blind him with dollar figures and not length of terms.

ehh i disagree. I think that "inconsistancy" knock is dramatically overrated. I think hes produced for us when hes had his chance to step up.

Its really not that, its just his ability to be a big play receiver. Hes shown he can do it and putting him in a place where he'll have more room to succeed will be better fo rhim. I just think the inconsistancy knock is overblown. The fact that he is our #3 is why I think we have the best WR core inthe league, because hes not a #3

Ha unfortunately, coupled with the fact that he grew up in Paterson (which is a 10 min ride to stadium) and having every walk of life tell him how great hes doing, I can't see him still being THAT humble. But maybe staying home will intrigue him. In Jerry we trust I guess. I mean too many times hes proven us all wrong even if we swore it wouldn't work out. A ring this year would really affirm how great of a GM Reese is.

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 02:07 PM

but Manningham is a game breaker.* We're not in good cap shape and Mckenzie, Goff, T2, Ross, Cruz, Ballard, and Manningham are all FAs next year.* All of them except for McKenzie are on **** contracts. Mix in the fact that Jacobs has seemingly earned his spot here next year and we have no idea what we are going to do wtih Osi - we're not looking good money wise.

Hes a WR that produces, his routes and hands aren't nearly as bad as some would reference here.* Like I said, hes just another non-fan favorite. All that seems to be remembered is the bad and not the great plays hes made for us

ehh i disagree. I think that "inconsistancy" knock is dramatically overrated. I think hes produced for us when hes had his chance to step up.

Its really not that, its just his ability to be a big play receiver.* Hes shown he can do it and putting him in a place where he'll have more room to succeed will be better fo rhim.* I just think the inconsistancy knock is overblown.* The fact that he is our #3 is why I think we have the best WR core inthe league, because hes not a #3

Ha unfortunately, coupled with the fact that he grew up in Paterson (which is a 10 min ride to stadium) and having every walk of life tell him how great hes doing, I can't see him still being THAT humble.* But maybe staying home will intrigue him. In Jerry we trust I guess. I mean too many times hes proven us all wrong even if we swore it wouldn't work out. A ring this year would really affirm how great of a GM Reese is.

You could argue that he lost us the 49er game this year with that dropped TD.

And he started as our #2 this year and got beat out by an UFA from a really small school (granted you could argue Cruz is really our #1 receiver right now but still ... ) for a reason. He *doesn't* produce as well as we hoped. But that doesn't mean he's not a *good* receiver. He can make the big play on occasion but when's the last time you were praying Eli connects with MM?

I agree about Reese and I jumped his case earlier this year. I'm still not crazy about his cap management, but I can't remember when the Giants had as much talent as we've had under him so far.

Now if only someone would show him what a LBer is.

MattMeyerBud
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Its really not that, its just his ability to be a big play receiver. Hes shown he can do it and putting him in a place where he'll have more room to succeed will be better fo rhim. I just think the inconsistancy knock is overblown. The fact that he is our #3 is why I think we have the best WR core inthe league, because hes not a #3

Ha unfortunately, coupled with the fact that he grew up in Paterson (which is a 10 min ride to stadium) and having every walk of life tell him how great hes doing, I can't see him still being THAT humble. But maybe staying home will intrigue him. In Jerry we trust I guess. I mean too many times hes proven us all wrong even if we swore it wouldn't work out. A ring this year would really affirm how great of a GM Reese is.

You could argue that he lost us the 49er game this year with that dropped TD.

And he started as our #2 this year and got beat out by an UFA from a really small school (granted you could argue Cruz is really our #1 receiver right now but still ... ) for a reason. He *doesn't* produce as well as we hoped. But that doesn't mean he's not a *good* receiver. He can make the big play on occasion but when's the last time you were praying Eli connects with MM?

I agree about Reese and I jumped his case earlier this year. I'm still not crazy about his cap management, but I can't remember when the Giants had as much talent as we've had under him so far.

Now if only someone would show him what a LBer is.

awful play

but i could also argue Eli missing the sight adjustment and throwing a pick instead of hitting Mario for a TD killed us

I could argue special teams having their heads up their asses for an onside kick killed us

I could argue giving Vernon Davis a free release and Kiwi choosing to be 5 seconds too late to try and cover him for a TD killed us

It was a bad play - but it didn't define Manningham. He played alot of good underrated ball for us for the past three years

thats a stretch. Where Cruz came from makes no difference. That guy put up numbers this year that rivaled only Calvin Johnson. Bottom line is Cruz made his mark this year

I prayed for a connection to mario just as much as i did to cruz or nicks...

Can't really kill him on the Boley and Kiwi move so much anymore...

I mean Boley's coverage and blitzing has really helped define this defense, not to mention his leaderhsip.

Kiwi is really a run stuffing beats for us...

hes def slacked at MLB, but somethings gotta give somewhere

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
awful play

but i could also argue Eli missing the sight adjustment and throwing a pick instead of hitting Mario for a TD killed us

I could argue special teams having their heads up their asses for an onside kick killed us

I could argue giving Vernon Davis a free release and Kiwi choosing to be 5 seconds too late to try and cover him for a TD killed us

It was a bad play - but it didn't define Manningham. He played alot of good underrated ball for us for the past three years

Hehe that's the second time I've seen you say that Eli missed the sight adjustment .... that play was SOOOOOO on MM (he just stopped his route for no reason).

And sure, there were a bunch of other plays that turned in our favor, might have won us that game I agree. But we were talking about MM specifically.

MM is good ... no doubt about it .... but not great. I think that's where we differ on him.

Here's my caveat though: I tend to be less of a homer when it comes to our players then some other fans ... for instance I think we should look to be cutting ties with Brandon Jacobs after this year (even though I love him when he's running hard).

That and I tend to be critical of the guys who drop TDs http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-5.gif

*EDIT* - I agree that Boley is finally playing up to his contract (and possibly beyond).

I still don't like Kiwi at LBer .... he's such a natural pass rusher (and as you've said, a damn good run stuffer) that it's a crying shame when he's not up on the line on every single snap. But even I have to admit that he's improving as a LBer.

Reese's strategy this year of throwing a bajillion people at the LBer position and seeing what sticks might have paid off in Williams. He's got some real promise.