PDA

View Full Version : SOP***

GiantWarfare
01-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Non-football related...sorry mods, you can move this thread if necessary

Anybody paying attention to this SOPA issue?

Crazy stuff man...

They're already shutting down sites...Megavideo is gone....

This "online piracy" war is gonna affect alot of folks' internet activities

DragonSoul
01-20-2012, 02:51 AM
based on politics, power, control and $$$. This is going in a very bad way. But all the lemmings are happy, so we are doing great.

myles2424
01-20-2012, 02:51 AM
I think alot of people are misunderstanding the Sopa issue....
People are taking it as a attempt to monitor & control what we do on in the Internet, rather than holding these big websites accountable for the copyrighted material they make tons of $$$ off of which doesn't come back to the music & film industry.....

I have a degree in the music business & can tell you YouTube and similar sites make Multi millions a year off of copyrighted movies/music...

When you hear a song on the radio,tv,commercial,or movie the copyright holder makes $$$....

When you see a rerun of a tv show, the company that's owns the rights make $$$...

When you see a movie on tv, the film company makes $$$$

But when Jo shmoe uploads a song on YouTube & receives millions of views, YouTube makes good $$ off of that and the original artist gets stiffed....

Also tons of sites where we download music & movies for free, make $$$ off of the site traffic by giving away a movie or songs that someone worked hard for and that potentially cost millions $$ to create & promote....

DragonSoul
01-20-2012, 02:56 AM
People are taking it as a attempt to monitor & control what we do on in the Internet, rather than holding these big websites accountable for the copyrighted material they make tons of $$$ off of which doesn't come back to the music & film industry.....

I have a degree in the music business & can tell you YouTube and similar sites make Multi millions a year off of copyrighted movies/music...

When you hear a song on the radio,tv,commercial,or movie they copyright holder makes $$$....

When you see a rerun of a tv show, the company that's owns the rights make $$$...

But when Jo shmoe uploads a song on YouTube & receives millions of views, YouTube makes good $$ off of that and the artist gets stiffed....

Also tons of sites where we download music & movies for free, make $$$ off of the site traffic by giving away a movie or songs that someone worked hard for and that potentially cost millions $$ to create & promote....No sites will be running, since they will fear members won't follow their TOS by uploading images, music and etc. So in turn for them not to be sued they will close down.

Under SOPA, you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song, one year more then the doctor who killed him.

It is a game changer, but if you do not pay attention to the issue and don't take an active roll in trying to stop it & expect someone else to do it then you have no use, using the net.

myles2424
01-20-2012, 03:12 AM

When you hear a song on the radio,tv,commercial,or movie they copyright holder makes $$$....

But when Jo shmoe uploads a song on YouTube & receives millions of views, YouTube makes good $$ off of that and the artist gets stiffed....

Also tons of sites where we download music & movies for free, make $$$ off of the site traffic by giving away a movie or songs that someone worked hard for and that potentially cost millions $$ to create & promote....No sites will be running, since they will fear members won't follow their TOS by uploading images, music and etc. So in turn for them not to be sued they will close down.

Under SOPA, you could get 5 years for uploading a Michael Jackson song, one year more then the doctor who killed him.

It is a game changer, but if you do not pay attention to the issue and don't take an active roll in trying to stop it & expect someone else to do it then you have no use, using the net.yea & that fear will result significant $$ lost for all parties involved.....
So it'll have to come to all these file sharing sites & sites like YouTube,Facebook, & twitter paying the standard royalties to copyright holders, just like radio,tv,film have been doing for years......

There's been years of fighting between music/film vs Internet over this issue and it'll come to a end soon.....

I feel just like everyone else does.....but sites like YouTube ect, are fairly new and difficult to monitor....on the otherhand, radio & tv have been running off a system that's had a standard liscening fee for broadcasting any copyrighted material for decades