PDA

View Full Version : Home Team Advantage: Niners Known to Water Down Field

AngryAZN
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
A few years ago when Bill Parcells was part of one of the pregame shows (don't remember which one it was during the PATS spygate incident), Steve Young and Parcells went back and forth about some of the tactics the franchises used as part of their home team advantage.

Young contended that Parcells would have the stadium doors opened at both end when the opposing team had a FG attempt.

Parcells rebutted that SF would water down their field to slow the game down and disadvantage the opposing team.

Considering Jerry Rice's comments and their "weather analysis," I wonder whether these time honored traditions are continuing to play out.

krygny
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I've heard all that too but I don't see how soaking the field would have given the '49ers the advantage. They were the more explosive team, with almost no running game. Passing teams like a fast track.

stormblue
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I've heard all that too but I don't see how soaking the field would have given the '49ers the advantage. They were the more explosive team, with almost no running game. Passing teams like a fast track.

the thinking is that a sloppy field favors the offense because they know what route they are running and the sloppy footing makes it hard for LB's and DB's to react and change direction.

Firenugget
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

If you believe the theory that the WR has the advantage because he knows when he's gonna cut, etc..it makes some sense. I'm not one who buys into that so much, myself. Just because knowing where you're cutting doesn't make your feet unable to slip anymore than the defenders.

G-Man67
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM

If you believe the theory that the WR has the advantage because he knows when he's gonna cut, etc..it makes some sense. I'm not one who buys into that so much, myself. Just because knowing where you're cutting doesn't make your feet unable to slip anymore than the defenders.

right, it's a trade off ... certainly WRs are less likely to slip than DBs, since they know where they are going, but timing and rhythm is so critical for offenses ... if Eli is accustomed to realeasing a pass at 2.25 seconds on a certain pattern and now the WR isn't there until 2.5 seconds due to having to make a slower cut ... well you can see how that can be a problem

to me conditions almost always favor the home team b/c momentum becomes a bigger factor and the crowd can feed the momentum ... here's to hoping any "conditions" were exaggerated

MikeIsaGiant
01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't believe in such nonsense

TheCatchIII
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Funny, Saint fans were saying the same thing before last week.

It didn't happen.

The rain is falling right now though. You can blame God if the field is muddy on Sunday.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
The biggest effect the slippery field has is on players that rely on speed, whether on offense of defense. The slippery field simply slows everyone down and helps to even the odds for a slower team. </P>

The helps the 49ers b/c of how much we rely on the big play, quick strike to get the momentum in our favor and turn the game. Harder to get those on a muddy field. </P>

It also slows down pass rushers, as it's hard for them to anchor and get leverage. </P>

Kruunch
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
A few years ago when Bill Parcells was part of one of the pregame shows (don't remember which one it was during the PATS spygate incident), Steve Young and Parcells went back and forth about some of the tactics the franchises used as part of their home team advantage.

Young contended that Parcells would have the stadium doors opened at both end when the opposing team had a FG attempt.

Parcells rebutted that SF would water down their field to slow the game down and disadvantage the opposing team.

Considering Jerry Rice's comments and their "weather analysis," I wonder whether these time honored traditions are continuing to play out.

I don't think they'll need to soak the field.

God is taking care of that already.

fansince69
01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't believe in such nonsense

You do not believe that it hinders footing? or you don't believe teams water down the field?

Either way I think you are being naive....All teams do things in their home stadiums to gain advantage...In baseball teams that bunt let the grass grow longer to slow the ball down for example...It happens all the time.to believe otherwise is foolish

giantsfan39
01-20-2012, 02:42 PM
The biggest effect the slippery field has is on players that rely on speed, whether on offense of defense. The slippery field simply slows everyone down and helps to even the odds for a slower team. </p>

The helps the 49ers b/c of how much we rely on the big play, quick strike to get the momentum in our favor and turn the game. Harder to get those on a muddy field. </p>

It also slows down pass rushers, as it's hard for them to anchor and get leverage. </p>

But we can also throw short passes and rely on getting YAC. If the DB slips Nicks can take a 5 yards route for a 70 yard TD. Seems stupid.

pino
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Unless the Niners have webbed feet, I don't see how they will have an advantage in mud. The only advantage I see is Akers.

GameTime
01-20-2012, 03:15 PM
wet field provides the same advantages and disadvantages for each team...</P>

its a wash..(pun intended..lol)</P>

</P>

</P>

BlueBlitzer
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't think they want to tackle a wet BJ or AB.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
The biggest effect the slippery field has is on players that rely on speed, whether on offense of defense. The slippery field simply slows everyone down and helps to even the odds for a slower team. </P>

The helps the 49ers b/c of how much we rely on the big play, quick strike to get the momentum in our favor and turn the game. Harder to get those on a muddy field. </P>

It also slows down pass rushers, as it's hard for them to anchor and get leverage. </P>

But we can also throw short passes and rely on getting YAC. If the DB slips Nicks can take a 5 yards route for a 70 yard TD. Seems stupid.
</P>

True, that could happen, I'm just pointing out the effect the mud has on the game. Just historically, it's often had the bigger effect on the teams that rely on big plays down the field. Not to say it will cripple out offense, but it can have an effect. </P>

</P>

TrueBlue@NYC
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Unless the Niners have webbed feet, I don't see how they will have an advantage in mud. The only advantage I see is Akers.</P>

I actually think that helps us, since we generally score TDs' more in the redzone as opposed to SF who relies more on kicking FGs' for points. </P>

JPP
01-20-2012, 03:32 PM

I think the theory, not only do the offenses know where they are going and the defenses don't, is that because it is their stadium they will be used to the already watery conditions and would be more familiar with it and on top of that factor in home crowd and it isn't hard to see why it could be considered an advantage.

VD&Crabs85
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
49er fan here! Wet field made Darren Sproles slip early in the game last week that could've been a TD. Wet fields to me means it's going to be a running game. The "Stick" will be drenched on Sunday and it's POURING like crazy over here right now. They always cover the fields with tarps and then right before kick off, take the tarps off & throwing the water on the visitors sideline...like they did against the Cowgirls in the 94-95 NFC Championship!

BlueBlitzer
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
And that's something to Brag about? Does your Mommie know your on the lap top again Skippy.