PDA

View Full Version : Victor Cruz, and shades of the Run and Shoot Offense

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 03:24 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7481235/chris-brown-victor-cruz-new-york-giants

a great look at streak, switch, go, and choice routes

for those who refuse to understand how this actually works

:)

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 03:57 PM
bump for a great article

CGYgiant
01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7481235/chris-brown-victor-cruz-new-york-giants

wow excellent read. I love how if the deep ball is covered it gives the WR and the QB options to get a completion. Excellent article.

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
thanks!

the arguments Ive been in on this forum about whether the giants still use the run and shoot principles

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
thanks!

the arguments Ive been in on this forum about whether the giants still use the run and shoot principles

ive been in countless arguments about this route system on this forum .....mostly with folks who haven't a clue of how it works

hopefully this could shed some light with the in article links that go into great detail

chasjay
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Good read! I wasn't familiar with that site. Is that quality of information typical of what you find there?

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Good read! I wasn't familiar with that site. Is that quality of information typical of what you find there?

my first experience with them ....maybe others will know

well written article though

slipknottin
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Ive never read it either, but they have Bill Barnwell as a writer too.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7466943/bill-barnwell-delivers-highlights-last-weekend-playoff-action

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Ive never read it either, but they have Bill Barnwell as a writer too.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7466943/bill-barnwell-delivers-highlights-last-weekend-playoff-action

seems to be a quality source

BlueBlitzer
01-20-2012, 04:35 PM

</P>

Fantastic read. It really brings home why we have such a balanced attack. </P>

Manning2Niks
01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow. Great article. I had a very vague understanding of the route concepts and that article helped make it a little clearer.

The page from the playbook was very cool to see.

G-Man67
01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
good stuff, yeah modern passing offenses are light years from us as kids drawing down and in and down and out routes in the dirt

NYtoSanDiego
01-20-2012, 05:00 PM

GREAT READ! thanks for posting it.

gilbride actually talkes a little about it in his thursday press conference. 9:50, http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/Offensive-Coordinator-Kevin-Gilbride/24b0897b-f5e0-4d5c-ae68-f797099c201e

and troy brown of the patriots on espn radio this morning talked about why ochocinco is having a difficult time grasping the patriots offense. "he doesn't know what to do in their (site adjustment) offense.

NYtoSanDiego
01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
that's the difference in the giants passing attack vs. say the packers with their hybrid west coast offense or the chargers with their hybrid air coryell.

i remember neil odonell two ints in the SB and wondered how that could happen. or more recently eli 3+ int games and this explains a lot. if the qb is doing all the studying and wr/te are not, it can look really bad offensively especially for the qb.

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 05:43 PM
that's the difference in the giants passing attack vs. say the packers with their hybrid west coast offense or the chargers with their hybrid air coryell.

i remember neil odonell two ints in the SB and wondered how that could happen. or more recently eli 3+ int games and this explains a lot. if the qb is doing all the studying and wr/te are not, it can look really bad offensively especially for the qb.

for sure

and there is always that grey area of....who was wrong?

its all about the receiver being able to read the field like a QB

which is extremely difficult to do while running a route and takes time to develop

we have some good route runners.....but I think soely in terms of the complexity of the choice route......Cruz has grasped this theory a bit quicker than most who have gone through it as far as his decisions based on what he thinks Eli sees

EliTE
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
i wish madden could convey this in the plays in the game for the giants playbook. there are very few option route plays in madden and usually it's a TE or RB simple option. i wish while playing madden my receivers would adjust their routes to get open lol

YATittle1962
01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
i wish madden could convey this in the plays in the game for the giants playbook. there are very few option route plays in madden and usually it's a TE or RB simple option. i wish while playing madden my receivers would adjust their routes to get open lol

they actually do sometimes

if they have a go and you see the safety drop and throw it quick the receiver will adjust

BlueSanta
01-20-2012, 07:41 PM
The funny part about the run and shoot is, it was a horrible offense design for its time. I say this because during that time DBs were permitted to really disrupt WRs. The offense used a lot of 3 step drops and was predicated on the timing between WRs and QB being good. This is the main reason physical defenses always had such success vs it.

But today, with all the rule changes, DBs have a much harder time disrupting the timing between WR and QB. I wouldnt be surpised to see this type of offense come back unless they revert some rules.

I would argue that our offense has far more big differences from a Run and shoot than it does similarities. But that doesnt mean , like this article says, that we dont use pieces of it.

Coincidentally, I have always said that the 1 reciever Victor Cruz reminds me of in playstyle is Andre Rison(playstyle only, not character). He played his best in the R and S. They were both guys who were far more physicl than their size would inidcate, they both had good football speed, and they both were very good at yards are the catch.

poppa smurph
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Great read, thanks YA.</P>

Would be very cool to have a continuous thread about offensive and defensive philosophies.</P>

Knowledge is power and makes us better appreciate what we see on the field.</P>

This MBhas some very smart people posting on it, which is why I joined. To become a more knowledged fan.</P>

Big thank-you to these threads.</P>

YATittle1962
01-21-2012, 10:32 AM
bump for the awesomeness of this article

those who havent read it......check it out

understand more of what we do offensively