PDA

View Full Version : Here's an example of ALL IN..

RoanokeFan
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
And why we will win tomorrow:

GIANTS' DEFENSIVE BACKS GET IT TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF WEEKLY GET-TOGETHERS (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/01/giants_cornerbacks_get_it_toge.html)

"Aaron Ross was in a hurry to leave the Giants (http://www.nj.com/giants/)’ practice facility the other day,
though he took time to answer a question about the meetings the defensive backs
have held on their own.

In fact, that’s why he was scrambling to get out of the Timex Performance
Center in East Rutherford.</p>

“We’re going right now to go do ’em,” the Giants cornerback said. “It’s been
helping us a lot. We get a chance to go through the film and go over with the
coaches the next morning. We might see something we don’t like and ask the
coaches if we can change it.”</p>

The defensive backs started these meetings earlier in the season, once per
week at the players’ houses, about an hour in length. It was a way of conducting
the meetings at their own pace and with them taking the lead.</p>

It wasn’t a mutiny against the coaching staff by any means, but rather a
chance to take control of the remote and talk about what they see on film — not
only what they’re supposed to see.</p>

Before the game against the Washington Redskins, in which Corey Webster and
Kenny Phillips grabbed interceptions early on, the frequency of the
get-togethers increased. Now, as the players prepare for Sunday NFC Championship
Game against the San Francisco 49ers, they’re up to three sessions per week.</p>

And the fact they even have the chance to get ready for this game is a
testament to what the meetings have done for their on-field communication since
a few communication breakdowns earlier in the season against the Niners, Dallas
Cowboys and New Orleans Saints.</p>

“It’s crisp. Everything is coming out fast, it’s coming out loud,” said
linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka, who can hear the chatter behind him. “There are no
questions about who is saying what or who has what. The communication has been
tremendous.</p>

“If you watch how they played (on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers),
there was obviously a difference. You could see it, and you could hear it on the
field, too.”</p>

Instead of Dez Bryant running free, Laurent Robinson breaking up the seam or
Jabar Gaffney catching an uncontested touchdown, the Giants have often seen Tony
Romo, Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers holding the ball longer while
looking for an open receiver — and many times, not finding one.</p>

In the 13 games before the meetings were increased, the Giants allowed 263.7
passing yards per game and a 61.4 percent completion rate. In the five games
since, they’re allowing 215.6 yards per game and a completion percentage of 59.9
percent.
</p>“The chemistry is just crazy right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to say
it’s just the meetings, but guys are just dialing in to what we’re doing.”

He continued: “It’s knowing what the other guy’s going to do. You don’t have
to talk on every play. If I see something, I just come off and go get it and
somebody will cover me up. There’s been a lot of that going on.”</p>

Phillips’ house is the closest to the stadium, so he’s often the host for the
meetings. Sometimes, they’ll order pizza or wings, though the sessions often go
uncatered.</p>

Everyone gets a chance to work the remote and go through the calls based on
the looks the offense is given — even the rookies.</p>

“Everybody has their opinion,” rookie safety Tyler Sash said, adding with a
wry smile: “Even though some people’s opinions are respected more than
others.”</p>

The opinions of veterans Deon Grant and Antrel Rolle mean a ton to defensive
coordinator Perry Fewell, who admits he has gotten better at accepting
feedback.</p>

“Because I know the players a lot better, definitely,” said Fewell, in his
second year with the Giants. “I think that as a coordinator, and as a leader,
you’re most effective when you’re listening, not talking.”</p>

Fewell simplified the game plan a bit before the victory over the Jets, in
part because of the suggestions that came from the players’ off-site
meetings.</p>

“We jot it down and say, ‘We think it’ll be a lot easier for us to play it
like this,’” Grant said, “and he has an open ear when it comes to that.”</p>

NYGFaninILL
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
That is awesome in so many ways!

ALL IN

IamGiantsfan
01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice to know the secondary is working together to get better, It has certainly shown with less miscommunications since the redskins game, let's hope they can improve, and play lights out against the 49'ers.

Let's GO GMEN

YATittle1962
01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
that is awesome

its up to 3 times a week now?

fantastic!!

in these times its all about the extra effort

and the fact the Fewell listens and takes into consideration what the players feel comfortable with speaks volumes about him as a coach

MikeIsaGiant
01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice to see the players knowing the problems and taking time to work on it themselves.

ALL IN! Let's go giants

RoanokeFan
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Being willing to put in "overtime" to watch film in a comfortable setting and then bring their thoughts to the coaches who hopefully figure how to work what the players see into the game plan is HUGE.

Pierre-Paul
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
As a fan for more than 3 decades, I have always taken for granted that players did this sort of stuff all the time. I have only recently realized that most players don't work that much after practices and games. After meeting some players and seeing them outside of games, they became much more like ordinary people and much less like superstars only there for my entertainment. I figured they all had private chefs and butlers. Tutors for their kids. Personal assistants for all the "running of the household" stuff that most people have to do. Who would've thought that players like Victor Cruz actually have to get up in the middle of the night to rock a crying baby back to sleep?

Now I can appreciate that these players are putting in this extra time, and that they want to do it to win games. Playoffs are a perfect time to be putting in extra effort. In two words - ALL IN. Maybe the best team slogan of all time.

Mod_C
01-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Great read and great work ethic on the part of the players.

ebick
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
the results are showing</P>

DemandedAce
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
This is awesome, I'm really happy they're doing this and it's obviously paying dividends. Barring questionable calls last week they really have gone against two potent offenses without allowing them to score and no one running wide open. Great job to them, we should call our secondary "The Overacheivers" because our whole team has this season and I couldn't be happier about it.

I made the ALL IN graphic with Nicks for the NFC Champ game my Facebook picture, GO BLUE

BlueBlitzer
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Four solid Veterans hitting the books ( er video ) with the rest of the secondary is fantastic. Can you imagine what this " think Tank " is doing for the rooks ( Prince, Sash ).

DemandedAce
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Four solid Veterans hitting the books ( er video ) with the rest of the secondary is fantastic. Can you imagine what this " think Tank " is doing for the rooks ( Prince, Sash ).

Prince has looked quite a bit later of late with his reduced snaps, I think you can definitely attribute a lot of that to these sessions

jomo
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks RF, I am pumped. Wish I could split some lumber today but the snow will preclude that!</P>

</P>

Go Blue!!</P>

RoanokeFan
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks RF, I am pumped. Wish I could split some lumber today but the snow will preclude that!</p>

</p>

Go Blue!!</p>

We are poised for greatness and we seem to have the right mindset to get it done.

RoanokeFan
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
There are ALL IN sign everywhere if we look for them. On one of those fourth down plays in the Atlanta game, Deon Grant was up on the line SCREAMING, "DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE" meaning wait for the ball to be snapped. Obviously no one should move but he was making sure they ALL waited for the snap.

One of the best management tools I used in my career was "take care of the little things, and the big things will take care of themselves." This absolutely has always worked for me and it's what Deon Grant was doing. Don't move an inch and we'll hold them!

The synergistic effect of "one for all and all for one" cannot be calculated. It's an intangible, and we have it.

chasjay
01-21-2012, 01:54 PM
ALL "N"ew york football giants

great info

OX1
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
synergistic

LOL!! Ya just had to say it, didn't ya.........

Mod_C
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
synergistic

LOL!! Ya just had to say it, didn't ya.........

It explains the inexplicable

Voldamort
01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Alli in GO G-MEN!!!

egyptian420
01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Great article...this is how players take the character of their head coach

What's happening with the Jets right now is also an example of this.

AntB
01-21-2012, 02:43 PM
On paper they have the potential to be a great unit; but, the only thing that counts is what happens on the field on any given Sunday.

jjj45
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
UM.. No,,,

They better worry about tackling Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter..

Deon Grant is a liability in coverage and we 9ers got bad blood with Antrel Rolle.. Its on!

You better prayOoh five rings...

You sound like those Packer fans who always bring up their "thirteen" championships.

chasjay
01-21-2012, 03:16 PM
UM.. No,,,

Deon Grant is a liability in coverage and we 9ers got bad blood with Antrel Rolle.. Its on!

You better pray

Our prayers have already been answered! We got SF in the NFCCG.

Mod_C
01-21-2012, 04:34 PM
UM.. No,,,

You better pray

Smack talk is not allowed in this forum.

BigBlue1971
01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
nice article about the secondary.</P>

if they play like they did in GB, it could be a long day/nite for the 9ers!</P>

TopleyBird
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Glad these guys are preparing so well. The results have indeed shown on the field.

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-21-2012, 05:30 PM
This is one of the best things about just football. When the team meshes and actually spend their free time going for the same goal. And the fact that it is OUR Giants doing it is the icing on the SB cake! Hats off to the secondary who must have been in here reading our comments and felt they could change the way things happen on the field!!!!!

rainierjef
01-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Do you know if the Line backers or D line men are having similar meetings like this ?

FIFTY6G-MAN
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Do you know if the Line backers or D line men are having similar meetings like this ?
I was wondering samething except forgot to post it. I have a feeling that these guys are all putting in the extra effort such as this, but to actually know from a verified source would help me relax.

bLuereverie
01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
ALL IN > Can't Wait

NY_Eli
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Excellent read, that is the definition of ALL-IN right there

JJC7301
01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
It is awesome that the unit is doing whatever it takes to improve themselves. They were too talented to be playing as poorly as they were. Go Ross, Go Secondary, Go Giants.

byron
01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Yes sir it is awesome... I feel bad I got down on TC so hard the last couple of years ...Look at how he's got this guys playing, thinking and working it... its Giants football the kind of Giants football we all grew to love...no matter what happenstomorrow I'm proud of them.. I couldn't be happier for TC they are playing hardfor him...Its easy to talk the talk but when you walk the walk like this team has for last 4 weeks, if that's not all in I don't knowwhat is...TC found the rightspot and drove it home ...they're believing and soam I....</P>

its getting closenow.... Go Giants!!!</P>

bubblesmcgee
01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
this has me so pumped. Game time cant come quick enough

RoanokeFan
01-22-2012, 03:14 PM
this has me so pumped. Game time cant come quick enough

[Y]