PDA

View Full Version : Some will call it "luck," I call it mental toughness

ErnieReese
01-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Fumbles, penalties, dropped passes, ridiculous completions etc... are more likely products of mental toughness or lack thereof. The game was won today, just as it was won in Green Bay, because of mental toughness. Not luck, or because the other team was off.

You gotta have guts to make the throw Eli made to Tyree in SB 42. You gotta be mentally tough and unafraid. You gotta be mentally tough and disciplined to make the catch Hakeem Nicks made in the hail mary pass to him in GB. You gotta be mentally tough to not fumble the football while returning a kick.

Tired of haters, dubbing themselves "realists," attributing the success of the Giants, or any team, to luck. Negates everything. If you want to talk about luck, then anyone can go back to almost any point of any game and talk about that 1 "lucky" moment that could have made a difference. It's not really as valid an argument as some might think.

Blue58
01-23-2012, 12:51 AM
I call it Special Teams!!!!!

JJC7301
01-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Luck?!? Luck, my a**!! The better team won this game, pure and simple.

miked1958
01-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Fumbles, penalties, dropped passes, ridiculous completions etc... are more likely products of mental toughness or lack thereof. The game was won today, just as it was won in Green Bay, because of mental toughness. Not luck, or because the other team was off.

You gotta have guts to make the throw Eli made to Tyree in SB 42. You gotta be mentally tough and unafraid. You gotta be mentally tough and disciplined to make the catch Hakeem Nicks made in the hail mary pass to him in GB. You gotta be mentally tough to not fumble the football while returning a kick.

Tired of haters, dubbing themselves "realists," attributing the success of the Giants, or any team, to luck. Negates everything. If you want to talk about luck, then anyone can go back to almost any point of any game and talk about that 1 "lucky" moment that could have made a difference. It's not really as valid an argument as some might think.Lol the funny part About it is these people that call it luck are running out of teams for them to say will beat us

buddy33
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
How where they lucky?

SF4986
01-23-2012, 01:11 AM
I would go well beyond mental toughness. Our D was knocking the holy hell out of Eli and the guy kept getting up and balling. Seriously tough SOB.

miked1958
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I would go well beyond mental toughness. Our D was knocking the holy hell out of Eli and the guy kept getting up and balling. Seriously tough SOB.
Yes been saying it for a long time. He is now only QB in NFL History to win 5 Road Playoff games.

Taking nothing away from niners. I said it would come down to the inexperience of niners in a game this large. And it did. In a game this close in bad weather, having the experience Eli and others have to draw from helps. They didn't panic. They just kept playing and waited for niners to make crucial mistakes.

And turns out the guy replacing Ginn made both game changing turnovers

PatsFanNH
01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
why do you care? Luck, Skill, Devine intervention.. YOU WON...

BigBlue1971
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
I would go well beyond mental toughness. Our D was knocking the holy hell out of Eli and the guy kept getting up and balling. Seriously tough SOB. Yes been saying it for a long time. He is now only QB in NFL History to win 5 Road Playoff games. Taking nothing away from niners. I said it would come down to the inexperience of niners in a game this large. And it did. In a game this close in bad weather, having the experience Eli and others have to draw from helps. They didn't panic. They just kept playing and waited for niners to make crucial mistakes</P>

</P>

mental toughness comes from experience.</P>

i said in a thread last week i leaned towards the Giants in this game because of experience.</P>

i thought they were patient and took advantage of opportunities. </P>

Eli is a tough qb. i never realized until this game how tough he is. never changes.</P>

NYtoSanDiego
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
if the giants doesn't capitalize on those two TO we wouldn't be talking about luck. all the teams in history of sports that have moved on to the playoffs in has had some form of "luck". if this didn't happened what if.

bflo23
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Tired of haters, dubbing themselves "realists," attributing the success of the Giants, or any team, to luck. Negates everything. If you want to talk about luck, then anyone can go back to almost any point of any game and talk about that 1 "lucky" moment that could have made a difference. It's not really as valid an argument as some might think.

Luck has nothing to do with fumbles, penalties, dropped passes, "ridiculous completions", etc... Players either make the play (whether it is difficult or simple) or don't. The players are in complete control of those actions. Holding onto the ball in the NFL is a skill when defenders are barreling down on you and trying to knock it out. Dropped passes? You either make the play (simple or not) or don't. "Ridiculous completions"? There isn't such a thing. QB makes the pass and receiver has to make it. Eli broke a tackle and dropped a pass perfectly in between 3 patriot defenders to Tyree. Tyree just did his part in making great catch. No luck there..... Penalties are in control of the players. However, players aren't in control of bad penalty calls and we have seen plenty of those. Packers got 14 points just on terrible calls.

NYtoSanDiego
01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Luck?!? Luck, my a**!! The better team won this game, pure and simple.

i believe that.

alex smith had a great year and i was huge supporter when he came out of utah but he still has a lot go and niners fans in the back of their mind believe it too. the niners reminded me a lot of the 00 ravens with dilfer. now i'm not saying dilfer and smith are the same but eventually the qb has to make enough plays for your team to win which he did last week against the saints. example, if he had just dropped the ball into crabtree hands instead of throwing it up high where he couldn't catch and run they would've gotten the 1st down and who knows maybe a TD instead of a FG to tie. that's huge play right there.

sometimes the qb doesn't need to be great on every play but he needs to be on key situations. eli may not have driven the team down the field at the end of regulation or overtime but he made enough key plays in the end and in overtime to win the field position battle to set up the game winning fg. imagine if weatherford had to punt the ball near the endzone after the sacks, the niners would've gotten a much shorter field to kick a game winning fg.

pt1028
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
According to some posters, in the past 5 games, the Giants have been lucky to win.

Manning2Niks
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Mental toughness. No question.

All year I said that those games where we'd hang in there and pull it out in the final seconds would end up proving beneficial by the end of the season.

The talking heads said we stole victories, I said we were building confidence and staminia. Oh yeah....and mental toughness.

If not for all those games (even the losses to seattle, san fran, and gb) we may not have had what it takes to stay in the game last night and pull out a W.

This team is ALL IN! And guess what? So am I!

THE_New_York_Giants
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
If you go to the Cowboys forums, all they are talking about is how the Giants never win with skill but with "luck" and that the Cowboys have never been as lucky as the Giants.

MikeIsaGiant
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
If you go to the Cowboys forums, all they are talking about is how the Giants never win with skill but with "luck" and that the Cowboys have never been as lucky as the Giants.

Sad because they wish they had luck, so jealous

NYtoSanDiego
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM

they can talk all they want. teams like the cowboys and chargers will always have all the talent but they will never ever win the big one because they're mentally weak and that's not just on their players but moreso their coaches.

people can say all they want about coughlin but all players take cue and are a reflection of their coaches.

Pteryx
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
The 49ers were just as lucky that we blew coverage on Davis twice as we were lucky to recover two muffed kicks. It was an ugly defensive struggle all game, and the better team came away with win (on the road too).