PDA

View Full Version : Who has a better overall secondary than us?

hadenough
12-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Just curious what people think. Now that Prince is in the mix...I think we have a pretty good one.

Not saying the best but certainly one of the better ones.

Say what you want about our safties but they are pretty good. Webby and Prince are both good cover guys. What other teams can say that?

jaygoon
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
How you came to a conclusion that prince is a good cover guy is beyond me, he's got potential.

I'll tell you this, Aaron Ross is horrible in every sense of the word. Teams pick on him. I don't care if he has 3 picks this year, he's let up countless touchdowns and long pass plays plus the fact he seems to fumble every other punt return.

Teams who have a good secondary usually have a great dline, a dline that doesn't give the wr and qb 10 seconds to get open, like our line.

GameTime
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Just curious what people think. Now that Prince is in the mix...I think we have a pretty good one. Not saying the best but certainly one of the better ones. Say what you want about our safties but they are pretty good. Webby and Prince are both good cover guys. What other teams can say that?</P>

There is lot more to the secondary than just two CBs....</P>

How do you know what Prince is even like yet?? He has been in two games...</P>

Webster is a good to very good. Overall the Giants pass D sucks....as does their run D.</P>

Ross...overall is decent. </P>

A lot has to do with no pressure from the Dline and the LBs are non existent underneath.</P>

I also think Rolle and Phillips get on the play too late for the over top help or in double coverage. Or maybe they are making up for the poor LB coverage. Grant.....too slow and takes angles like he can get there when he cant. </P>

nhpgiantsfan
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Just curious what people think. Now that Prince is in the mix...I think we have a pretty good one. Not saying the best but certainly one of the better ones. Say what you want about our safties but they are pretty good. Webby and Prince are both good cover guys. What other teams can say that?</P>

</P>

Your posting this 4 days after we got torched by Drew Brees and the Saints offense??? They certainly didnt look like anything special on Monday night.</P>

hadenough
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
So who has a better secondary?

eastbayblue
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
It certainly will be a lot better with Terrell Thomas and Chad Jones in the mix next year. Right now not so good.

cowboysblow
12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
MOST teams have a better secondary than the Giants. I don't like our secondary at all, I think it's very overrated, with some big names that don't actually produce much. Look at last year... any game where the pass rush was held in check by the opposing teams' O-line? Our secondary got absolutely torched. From the Colts game early in the year to the 2nd Cowboys game against Kitna, to the Packers game that basically ended our season. Is this year any different? The Saints hold our pass rush in check, and our secondary is completely helpless.

Giantsin04
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Most teams do. The entire defense has been an absolute embarrassment for three straight years now.

midnite_nj
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM

*</P>Lol. I know right.

Your posting this 4 days after we got torched by Drew Brees and the Saints offense???* They certainly didnt look like anything special on Monday night.</P>

jomo
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
It certainly will be a lot better with Terrell Thomas and Chad Jones in the mix next year. Right now not so good.
Chad Jones? Good kid, potential great story but easy on that prediction.

Kase-1
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
So who has a better secondary?Well its hard to say who's 2ndary is better. Better in terms of least amount of yds allowed in the air, most ints, most passes broken up, fewest tds allowed?????

Personally Id go by yds allowed, so in that aspect 25 teams are ranked ahead of us (Top 5: Cleve, Hou, Pitt, Jax, Bmore)

In terms of INTs we're 9th
In terms of Tds allowed we're 13th (we gave up 13th most tds in the air)
In terms of completion % we're 16th (16th worst that is)

What ive gathered is that our 2ndary is straight up AVERAGE...... We have a bunch of quality players, but the product we put on the field is straight up MEDIOCRE

GMENAGAIN
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Our secondary is vastly overrated on these boards.</P>

Webster is not a #1 CB as you saw when he got targeted and abused by Brees and Colston on Monday. He is a solid #2. Maybe Prince will turn out to be a #1, but it's too early to tell.</P>

I do not want to see Ross in a Giant uniform again after this year. Blown coverages, missed tackles, bad tackling and fumbled punts . . . . this guy does it all!</P>

Grant is shot. He will not be on the team next year.</P>

Rolle and Phillips are average on their best days. They make virtually no impact plays. It's time to face the reality that KP's knee injury will prevent him from being the superstart that we thought he would be when we drafted him.</P>

</P>

jhamburg
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Just curious what people think. Now that Prince is in the mix...I think we have a pretty good one.

Not saying the best but certainly one of the better ones.

Say what you want about our safties but they are pretty good. Webby and Prince are both good cover guys. What other teams can say that?

How about the one we're playing on Sunday?

bleedinblue27
12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
31 other teams!

bansaw
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
i dont even ....

burier
12-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Poor timing on the thread but.

I feel like if the OP was looking for teams rankes higher in Pass defense he could have looked that up himself.

I think what the OP really wanted to know was on paper who's better.

Between Ross (1st rounder) Webster (2nd rounder) KP (1st rounder) Rolle (1st rounder) and Grant (2nd rounder) We really should be very difficult to throw the ball on.

But Webster I thought was ready to make the leap and become a shutdown corner and he hasn't...He's actually having a down year in my opinion and most of his picks are due to terrible throws.

Ross has been a complete dissapointment as he been injury prone and prior to this season and excluding his rookie season he has been completely worthless the few times he has been healthy.

This season Ross has acutally been alot better but still not great. Was pathetic monday night wich may cause some to be a bit harder on him with respect to this seasons entire body of work than they should.

Both Ross and Webster have been hurt by Fewells shady zone concepts.

KP just isn't a star player. We thought he would be but he's not. He plays like a third round draft choice not a first. Maybe the injury?? But He never blew me away before the injury. I do like him as a player though. He's good just not a star.

It seems like Deon Grant and and Antrell Rolle where brought here to cover up deficiencies we have at LBer which is really unfair to them. If we needed linebackers (and we did) we should have signed linebackers.

Deon's age has caught up with him and its a wrap.

Rolle will be great for us when he can actually PLAY SAFETY and ball hawk and do all those things.

Right now I hate to say it but the Scheme is holding our players back.

The day we start running a traditional 4-3 defense with man coverage underneath and two safeties over the top is when we will see what we really can do.

myles2424
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Lbs that can't cover, DTs that get no push, & average safeties hold this D back.....

pino
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
We are ranked what? Rank 25 or 26 in pass defense?

BK07071
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Most teams do. The entire defense has been an absolute embarrassment for three straight years now.

Ever since Spags left!!!!

mike kennedy
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
3/4 of the league has a better secondary then us. You must be watching some old Giants reruns because the G-MENS secondary has been getting torched the last few weeks. Webster is average by himself.
End of story.

shotcalla39
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM

In week 12... Everybody

EJ Blue
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Is this thread a joke? is this satire? Am I being trolled right now?

Robert21156
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Totally agree - almost every team has a better COVERAGE secondary than we do. We do tackle pretty well with safeties if they are down in the box already tacking a RB. But as far as coverage - we are terrible. Honestly, how many yards could the Saints have thrown for on us if they needed to? 600 maybe?

gumby742
12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I think the OP meant talent wise. As a unit, we suck. And that falls on coaching.

Talent wise? We're one of the best. TT, Webster, Philips, Rolle are all solid starters on almost any NFL team.

Although you can argue that Polamalu counts as 3 people. lol.

tonyt830
12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Just curious what people think. Now that Prince is in the mix...I think we have a pretty good one. Not saying the best but certainly one of the better ones. Say what you want about our safties but they are pretty good. Webby and Prince are both good cover guys. What other teams can say that?well there are different aspects/categories that can make a team's secondary good or not so good. You have to take into account schemes, personnel, coaching, execution. Then you have to figure, does a team have a lot of yards given up in passing because the opposing team has to play a lot of catch up? Does the team have few passing yards allowed because their opposition is able to run the ball against them?</P>

</P>

So take for instance the Browns---statistically they give up the fewest passing yards allowed at 174.7 per game, but then you look at their rushing yards allowed--138.6, 29th in the league.</P>

</P>

Then you have the Packers---they have a respectable/about middle of the road rush D, 13th in the league at 105.5, but their pass yards allowed is #31 in the league, at 287.8. But there again, you have a lot of teams playing catch up against them. But the Packers are #1 in the NFL in interceptions at 22. Plus the Packers are #2 in the league with 71 passes defensed.</P>

</P>

The 49ers---great in rush yards allowed, #1--75.5 per game, but #21 in the league with 241.2 passing yards allowed per game. But they are number 1 in the league with 77 passes defensed and tied a respectable 7th in the league with 15 ints.</P>

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics</P>

</P>

No doubt the Giants have some talent and potential in the secondary, but talent and potential alone are not enough to make a good to great secondary.</P>

</P>

</P>

nycisgreat
12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
How you came to a conclusion that prince is a good cover guy is beyond me, he's got potential.

I'll tell you this, Aaron Ross is horrible in every sense of the word. Teams pick on him. I don't care if he has 3 picks this year, he's let up countless touchdowns and long pass plays plus the fact he seems to fumble every other punt return.

Teams who have a good secondary usually have a great dline, a dline that doesn't give the wr and qb 10 seconds to get open, like our line.

I agree 100%.

GiantWarfare
12-03-2011, 10:30 PM
OP is guilty of homerism...

I'll at least wait to see how Prince develops before I can make a definitive assessment

miked1958
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Lots of teams better then ours that don't have the injuries we do

hadenough
12-04-2011, 07:34 AM
A lot of interesting replies.

Question....how did we win a superbowl with a less talented secondary?

In 2009....we got blasted by the Saints by about the same margin....had some different pieces in the secondary but Sheridan was coaching.

The 2011 Rams don't have a better secondary talent wise....how did they beat the Saints?

Is it our secondary? I doubt it is.