PDA

View Full Version : Honestly what do you think of AB's fumble?

AllDayEli10
01-23-2012, 02:01 AM
What's your take on AB fumble?? Whistle blown early?? What do you think?

Spytheweb
01-23-2012, 02:02 AM
It was the right call, no fumble.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 02:03 AM
close but right cal. imo

jhamburg
01-23-2012, 02:04 AM

I dunno, I mean when is "too early"...Clearly he was wrapped up and not going anywhere, I don't think anyone can argue that. Are the refs supposed to give you an extra couple of seconds to go for the strip?

AllDayEli10
01-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Bunch of friends of mind, (49er fans) complaing was called to early. But I dunno, don't think he was going anywhere either. If it was on other foot, maybe I think differently.

SF4986
01-23-2012, 02:12 AM
I thought it was blown a little early but not to the point that I think the refs were wrong to blow it. Realistically, the refs could have easily gone either way with the call and there would have been controversy but neither call would have necessarily been wrong. Tough call, and at this point I don't think it merits controversy.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 02:15 AM

I dunno, I mean when is "too early"...Clearly he was wrapped up and not going anywhere, I don't think anyone can argue that. Are the refs supposed to give you an extra couple of seconds to go for the strip?

well in the old days before this forward progress rule. the back would go down before he fumbled instead of keeping to fight off the tackles.

but i think the refs made the right call with the rules as they are now.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 02:15 AM
to be perfectly honest, i thought it originally it was a bad call. but when u see the replay, he clearly had lost his forward momentum. when it was shown in slow motion u could clearly see he was wrapped up and being gang tackled.

but, we've gotten the shaft on a ton of calls, im glad one went our way for once.

but i think they need to re-evaluate the "blown dead cant challenge" rule, it just seems like it gives the refs the ability to allow a ****ty call to stay

TrueBlue@NYC
01-23-2012, 02:16 AM
Tough call, but the ref got it right.

1, AB had already been carried back about 3 yards from his foward progess.

2. AB was sitting the defender on the ground when the ball got stripped.

3. Whistle was blown before the strip, so it played no effect on how the ref saw it.

About the only thing that makes the call controversial was how quickly it happened, everything else points to it being the right call.

ajd121
01-23-2012, 02:23 AM

He was going backwards, That is the whole Gist of Forward progress.

AllDayEli10
01-23-2012, 02:29 AM
What was time on the clock of that call???

BlueSanta
01-23-2012, 02:41 AM
The ref blew the whistle when ABs progress was stopped, prior to the fumble. See the replay.

In light of that, it was the right call. You cannot allow things that happen after the whistle to stand. Players are taught to play to the whistle.

DragonSoul
01-23-2012, 02:42 AM
close but right cal. imo
yep, especially when they said the play is dead once forward motion is stopped.

JMFP2
01-23-2012, 02:43 AM
The ref blew the whistle when ABs progress was stopped, prior to the fumble. See the replay.

In light of that, it was the right call. You cannot allow things that happen after the whistle to stand. Players are taught to play to the whistle.
</P>

Exactly.....after the whistle blows, the play is over. I clearly heard a whistle after he was stacked up and pushed back.</P>

After the whistle, players let up.</P>

calzonesays
01-23-2012, 02:45 AM
Pretty quick whistle, but fair. Wasn't a blown call like the Greg Jennings fumble.

AllDayEli10
01-23-2012, 02:55 AM
How much time left in game when that happened??

Itlan
01-23-2012, 03:00 AM
They will always blow the whistle early when the runner is being gangtackled and moving backwards. Bradshaw was literally lifted into the air and Bowman was ripping at the ball lol.

ajd121
01-23-2012, 03:15 AM
If a quarter back going backwards like Bradshaw throws the ball it would be a sack not an incomplete pass.

SRTtoZ
01-23-2012, 04:31 AM
It was a legit call (no fumble) but the whistle was blown wayyy too quickly IMO. It happens...no big deal really. All I know is if the roles were reversed id be pissed that the whistle blew THAT quick.

sc_markt
01-23-2012, 09:23 AM

I thought it was a fumble. Somebody at the party I was at said a whistle had blown but I couldn't hear anything to confirm his claim.

Firenugget
01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I think it's about damn time a call went our way, that's what I think.

Zaggs
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
If it were reversed and the call happened on a 49ers, I might be mad at the early whistle, but on replay I would have accepted it.

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 09:27 AM
I think of it like this. Brad heard the whistle and he knows the rules so maybe he just loosen his grip of the ball.

NY_Eli
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I think it was the right call, but that wouldn't stop me from being pissed off if I was a 9er fan.

MattMeyerBud
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM

his forward progress WAS stopped

the ref DID start to blow the whistle before the ball came out

BUT in my opinion, the ref stopped the play a lil early. I've seen plays continue longer than that with the forward progress stopped

Providence
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Forward progress was clearly stopped. Even if they ruled it a fumble Coughlin could have challenged it and he would have won it. Once forward progress is stopped there can't be a fumble.

THE_New_York_Giants
01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
coulda gone both ways

MattMeyerBud
01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Forward progress was clearly stopped. Even if they ruled it a fumble Coughlin could have challenged it and he would have won it. Once forward progress is stopped there can't be a fumble.

i don't think you can challange forward progress except on a spot

buddy33
01-23-2012, 09:36 AM
The whistle should not have mattered anyway. Forward progress was stopped and they where pushing him back when it came out. Easy call to make.

jgrangers11
01-23-2012, 09:36 AM
They tend to give the ball carrier the benefit of the doubt on those. There's no doubt his forward progression had stopped and he wasn't going anywhere.

MattMeyerBud
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
The whistle should not have mattered anyway. Forward progress was stopped and they where pushing him back when it came out. Easy call to make.

i've seen plenty of footballs get stripped ina similiar situation...

if the whistle wasn't blown before the ball came out then i think san fran would have legit gripes

EZ_E
01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Honestly, correct call. Bradshaw's momentum had stopped and whistle was blown.

It's funny, when the Niners stack a guy up and three teammates strip the ball away, they call it "great defense". That's been the way they've played all season. But when a single Giants player strips the ball away on a punt return, they call it giving it to them (Giants).

What a bunch of Whiner-Niner fans!

Medisleman
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
The call was correct because they blew the whistle. Now I don't think they should whistle it dead that early, but it is consistent with what they did all season. A few times Jacobs had plays blown dead when he was still running and could have broken free so it all evens out. We should have had a TD on the special teams off the knee play, but that one was blown dead early too. Now we still scored but early whistles I can live with. Blown calls like that fumble in the Green Bay game I can't live with.

Vtgmenfan89
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Quite honestly, we're really really lucky. However if they hadn't blown the whistle I don't necessarily think that he'd had fumbled, very possibled he loosened his grip when he heard it blow. However I have no idea or proof or this just a guess. We are lucky they called that one dead early because that would have been huge. Not gonna lie refs were in our favor on a few plays...I think we deserved it after getting screwed over more often than not

Providence
01-23-2012, 10:11 AM

i don't think you can challange forward progress except on a spot

Perhaps you are right. I thought for sure I have seen coaches challenge it before. Could be wrong.

Nevertheless, AB's forward progress was still completely stopped and in the interest of keeping players safe the whistle needed to be blown.

BigBlue2010
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Extremely often the defense begs for the early forward progress whistle when a runner has a shot to go out of bounds.

AngryAZN
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM

It was the right call. There has been an movement in the league to protect the "skilled players" and while I question the extend of some of the new rules and their application, the foward progress rule is sound. There is no reason to allow a defense to stand a ball carrier up and take shots at a the defenseless player. It would cause needless injuries.

It was the right call, AB was stopped and driven backwards 5+ yards, the refs blew the whistle and stopped the onslaught.

hungrrrry
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Actually I thought the whistle was a little delayed...I saw him being pushed back and not properly protecting the ball and I had time to think to myself "he is stopped" before the whistle was blown. I was about to blow my top thinking we had lost the ball, because I didn't hear the whistle...I was screaming he was being pushed back and forward progress was stopped...

I absolutely believe the right call was made...i only worried because we have been getting hammered with bad calls prior to this game, most notably against GreenBay

Bluesmagoo
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I think anyone who has to question it is a pathetic miscreant with too much time on his hands and no analitical powers.

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
What's your take on AB fumble?? Whistle blown early?? What do you think?</P>

the way to answer that properly is to pose it this way:</P>

what do you think of frank gore's fumble? Whistle blown to early?</P>

</P>

Markroman
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
The whistle came well before the ball came out.

It really was not that close.

gumby742
Actually I thought the whistle was a little delayed...I saw him being pushed back and not properly protecting the ball and I had time to think to myself "he is stopped" before the whistle was blown. I was about to blow my top thinking we had lost the ball, because I didn't hear the whistle...I was screaming he was being pushed back and forward progress was stopped... I absolutely believe the right call was made...i only worried because we have been getting hammered with bad calls prior to this game, most notably against GreenBay</P>

imo, the fact that we got big a breaks from those fumbles off of the 49er kick returner was just pay back for the horrid officiating prior. The slate is wiped clean imo.</P>

TuckYou
He was going backwards when the whistle blew and still had the ball. Right call, but we got lucky. Normally they wouldnt get the whistle blown that early. But it was the right call.

burier
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
If we're all being honest we'd look at that play as if we were in the 9ers situations.

If the Giants had forced that same fumble and the whistle was blown we'd all be pissed.

TroyArcher
01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
It was borderline but by the rules the correct call. I really don't care as it is the first call the Giants have gotten in a month.

Tony Bruno
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I think its about time something went our way!!!

Personally I think the whistle was blown a bit early but the forward progressed stopped and they blew the whistle... Enough for me!!!

elaherb
01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't care it is about time we get a break inttthese poor referrees clls/

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
If we're all being honest we'd look at that play as if we were in the 9ers situations. If the Giants had forced that same fumble and the whistle was blown we'd all be pissed.</P>

+1</P>

i think it was the right call either way.</P>

but your post nailed it.</P>

everyone thinks its the right call not because it was, it's because it was in our favor.</P>

BParcells777
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
forward progress had stopped and he was being held up and forced backwards

according tot the rule book that ends the play and the whistle had blown

what is the issue?

The big miss of the weekend was Baltimores catch and strip in the end zone........they did not even review it WTF?????

Manning2Niks
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Whistle trumps all.

/end thread

JJC7301
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't even care. We had so many calls against us this year, that I just don't care as long as it went our way. Sorry SF.</P>

paul007
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
His forward progress was stopped. He was clearly going backwards as shown on replay.
That was when ball was stripped.

Therefore it was the correct call and consistently called this way all year for all teams.

DJloves
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
If we're all being honest we'd look at that play as if we were in the 9ers situations. If the Giants had forced that same fumble and the whistle was blown we'd all be pissed.</P>

+1</P>

i think it was the right call either way.</P>

but your post nailed it.</P>

everyone thinks its the right call not because it was, it's because it was in our favor.</P>

I do not agree with this.

I don't like to win by "luck," and if the same situation happened to us, I would feel dismayed but would also realize that it was the right call. Bradshaw had gotten as far as he could, a defensive player had him wrapped up and was forcing him backwards - as Bradshaw was sitting on top of the player, another 49er tried to strip it from him. Clearly, forward progress should be given - it was the right call.

What Frank Gore fumble were you referring to?

giantsforce
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
forward progress had stopped and he was being held up and forced backwards

according tot the rule book that ends the play and the whistle had blown

what is the issue?

The big miss of the weekend was Baltimores catch and strip in the end zone........they did not even review it* WTF?????
I guess it is becoming an issue because the rule is not enforced consistently. Most of the times the refs let it go a bit longer. But you would think that if the RB is knocked backwards, that will be a clear case of forward progress been stopped and that they should blow the whistle at that point which it happened in this case.
The Baltimore non-TD reminded me the GB game. We had a similar situation and they called it a TD against us. So again, the rules are not enforced consistently. However, for not reviewing that, it shows that there are some flaws in the system that need to be addressed.

swordfish
01-23-2012, 12:03 PM
It was on ref that blew the whistle, since Bradshaw was clearly stopped and was getting pushed back 2 yards with 3 guys trying to strip the ball, the runners forward momentum was clearly stopped and was not going anywhere with three Niners clobbering him, go back and pay attention to when the whistle blew and how much later after that Bradshaw was stripped. It's all in the NFL rulebook, once the runners forward progress has been stopped and has no chance, as on Bradshaws case 3 49ers" trying to mug him., the play is over, no need to get the guy killed.

On another note, that Smith guy is a beast, this 49ers team once they get some receivers and a QB will be hell to deal with.

buddy33
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
What? I have seen the refs blow the whistle on a play like that a lot. It was probably the easiest call they made all night. When a guy is ring pushed back from where he made forward progress it's a dead play. That's why they always spot the ball where his forward progress was. It doesn't matter where he was brought down or if someone pokes the ball out after his forward progress was stopped and he is being pushed back.

Seriously it was such and easy call and a non issue.

OX1
01-23-2012, 12:06 PM
A few times Jacobs had plays blown dead when he was still running and could have broken free so it all evens out. </P>

Yes, we got one due to supposed consistancy. Although in our case, jacobs was still progressing, so maybe not so consistant afterall.</P>

</P>