PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin pre game speech?

TheBookOfEli
01-23-2012, 04:52 AM
I remember Pam Oliver on the sidelines talking about how emotional Tom Coughlin got and how he held back tears.

Now i don't know what exactly he said but i get this strong feeling, whether we win or lose, this will be Tom Coughlin's last game.

No he won't get fired of course, but i think he's going to retire. He looked so deflated after our win against SF.

Anyone think he'll retire after the Superbowl?

BlueBlooded1979
01-23-2012, 05:18 AM
I remember Pam Oliver on the sidelines talking about how emotional Tom Coughlin got and how he held back tears.

Now i don't know what exactly he said but i get this strong feeling, whether we win or lose, this will be Tom Coughlin's last game.

No he won't get fired of course, but i think he's going to retire. He looked so deflated after our win against SF.

It is possible. I think it is easier for him if they win. I would hate to see him leave but it would be a great send off for him to walk away a champion.

I remember when Bill Cowher retired he said he couldn't do it after a Super Bowl because it would have left the team in disarray having to find a new coach in mid Feb. The new league year and FA starts in early March.

SweetZombieJesus
01-23-2012, 05:53 AM

I'm starting to think so. Makes sense to go out on top, and it's starting to look like the coaching staff is going to get raided (supposedly other teams have already asked to interview Gilbride and Fewell for head coaching positions).

So does TC want to start that mountain climb all over again with new assistants (and there will probably be a lot of player turnover)?

We may just get Cowher after all.

gmen46
01-23-2012, 06:00 AM

It's quite possible, of course. He IS 65 after all. If we win the SB it would make some sense.

But I believe if he truly is thinking about it, he will have given Mara and Tisch a heads up as soon as he arrives (if he arrives) at that decision. He won't pull a Bill Parcells on them. There's too much mutual respect among the three, it's obvious.

Having said that, I would really hate to see him go.

All the Coughlin haters will finally feel the pain of the "beware of what you wish for" syndrome.

TheEnigma
01-23-2012, 06:12 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I questioned if Coughlin still had this team believing in what he was selling to them during that slump but he's obviously made me look like a fool and you have no idea how happy I am to type that.

As for the future of this team, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was Coughlin's last year. What better way to go out than going out with two Superbowl appearances, beating an undefeated team, most wins on the road in the playoffs, taking a franchise to the AFC championship, and so forth.

It's always a possibility that they could hand the keys over to Gilbride or Fewell. Now I'm not sure if I want to hand the HC keys to Gilbride when I think he's just a coordinator at best and Fewell might work but there isn't really enough to go off of when he was HC at Buffalo for those 4 games.

I really don't want a Cowher or a Gruden because while they are good at their respective areas of expertise, Cowher has his shares of dramatic playoff loses and Gruden and the Buccaneers sunk after his Superbowl win.

If there's a dark horse candidate out there I'd like, it would probably be Hue Jackson. He seemed to have that Oakland team heading in the right direction before the new GM fired him to go with his own guy.

CTLadyBlue
01-23-2012, 08:26 AM

I'm starting to think so. Makes sense to go out on top, and it's starting to look like the coaching staff is going to get raided (supposedly other teams have already asked to interview Gilbride and Fewell for head coaching positions).

So does TC want to start that mountain climb all over again with new assistants (and there will probably be a lot of player turnover)?

Someone please explain to me why Cowher or Gruden was always the answer for the Giants anytime you were displeased with Coughlin????

Voldamort
01-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Was very moving I love the old man!!! ALL IN!

Kruunch
01-23-2012, 08:36 AM

He was just happy that he saved a lot of money on his car insurance by switching to Geico.

SweetZombieJesus
01-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Someone please explain to me why Cowher or Gruden was always the answer for the Giants anytime you were displeased with Coughlin????

I don't know about Gruden, but Cowher is still relatively young and had a decades-long relationship with the Rooneys (who are the Maras biggest counterparts and there's even some inter-family marriage). Cowher has been pining for the Giants job for years. He's very similar to Coughlin in terms of discipline and no-nonsense approach to the game, he fits the mold of a Giants coach.

Now, can someone answer the question -- will 65 year old Coughlin stick around to climb the mountain again with new coordinators?

Mercury
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I say, he takes a 5 year extension. Mrs. Coughlin doesn't want him around watching football in his underwear. Really, who would?

r1000
01-23-2012, 09:20 AM

OMG!!! seriously!!! thank you for that....

I for one would NEVER want Cowher here... i'm not that impressed

Gruden I do like though.. i won't lie!!!

Gromit
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I think it must have been like this one below. At least that was what I was reminded of when I heard Ms Oliver recount the event...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvmLDkAgAM

or if you want it in a NY accent...

<span id="yui_3_2_0_1_1327413323568136" class="yiv2146487926tab">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzAYrVvI8cA

Whatever Coughlin said, it must have been similar to Shakespeare's famous 'band of brothers' speech given by Henry V.
</span>

GameTime
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Anyone think he'll retire after the Superbowl? I'm starting to think so. Makes sense to go out on top, and it's starting to look like the coaching staff is going to get raided (supposedly other teams have already asked to interview Gilbride and Fewell for head coaching positions). So does TC want to start that mountain climb all over again with new assistants (and there will probably be a lot of player turnover)? We may just get Cowher after all.</P>

that sig pic is ****ing great!!!!!!</P>

galaxy10
01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I really think that coughlin is going to retire. I think that Cowher has been waiting for the coaching position to open up. He has ties with the Giants. Just a feeling. I have had this feeling for the past six months regarding Coughlin. It is a tough job and can be very emotionally and physically draining.

TrueBlue07
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
He answered these Q's in SF. He said "I love what I do. Why would I retire? Retire...to do what?"

He isn't going any where.