PDA

View Full Version : Baas is not the answer for us at center

Warchild
01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Baas got pushed around tonight and in my opinion is a major reason why we have failed to run the ball effectively this year. He is average in pass protection and below average at getting leverage / opening holes in the run game. He seems like a nice enough guy, but we need a mauling center who can push people around. This is NYG football, we need to run the ball!

It is beyond obvious when Petrus came in at LG and Boothe shifted to center that we played better overall. If we as fans can notice the difference, then you know Reese has to see it. If we fail to make changes next year it's because Reese has too much pride to admit the Baas signing was a poor one.

ErnieReese
01-23-2012, 08:49 AM
This offense line as a whole didn't play as well as it could have, but they get a bit of a pass considering the defense. Only a bit.

Boothe isn't very good at snapping the ball, and if you've seen Dilfer talk about what bad snaps do--even when they are a tiny bit off-- to the Qb's read, we would both be in agreement that there needs to be many changes, and one of them is to not have Boothe as a center.

This issue will hopefully be dealt with in the offseason.

Mercury
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
That was a tough team and a really good front 7. Baas is our center for one more game this season. So can we just give him our support for that one game and worry about changes in the off season?

buddy33
01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
They where playing a very good defense, but I thought they looked very good when Boothe and Petrus where in there.

Kruunch
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Baas got pushed around tonight and in my opinion is a major reason why we have failed to run the ball effectively this year. He is average in pass protection and below average at getting leverage / opening holes in the run game. He seems like a nice enough guy, but we need a mauling center who can push people around. This is NYG football, we need to run the ball!

It is beyond obvious when Petrus came in at LG and Boothe shifted to center that we played better overall. If we as fans can notice the difference, then you know Reese has to see it. If we fail to make changes next year it's because Reese has too much pride to admit the Baas signing was a poor one.

Dude THAT"S what you got out of the game last night?!

(even though I agree)

bansaw
01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Bass looked like **** out there.

Kareem got raped too lol

good thing Eli is a tough SOB

GO GIANTS !!!

Voldamort
01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
YOUR RIGHT

Kruunch
01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Kareem got raped too lol

GO GIANTS !!!

Wow no kidding ... Kareem got absolutely used like a prison inmate last night.

Firenugget
01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

<u>Kareem got raped too lol</u>

GO GIANTS !!!

You ain't kidding. I think Beatty will end up at RT (I don't think he makes a very good LT)next year and hopefully we can draft a stud LT or sign one in FA. I don't think he's gonna make it another season.

Warchild
01-23-2012, 09:46 AM

<u>Kareem got raped too lol</u>

GO GIANTS !!!

You ain't kidding. I think Beatty will end up at RT (I don't think he makes a very good LT)next year and hopefully we can draft a stud LT or sign one in FA. I don't think he's gonna make it another season.

I agree with you totally, I don't think Beatty makes it as LT with us, better off on the right side.

Go Giants!

NorwoodBlue
01-23-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree the running game gets way better when Boothe and Petrus are in. Kevin Boothe has been a big factor in keeping the team together this season. Who'd have thought at the start of the season that Boothe, Blackburn, Ballard and Cruz would play such huge roles in this season. I thought Cruz would be good; but nothing like this.

TuckYou
Baas is horrible, but he did get hurt again and maybe that had a lot to do with it. Anyone know what the deal was in the middle of the season? What was his injury?

TheEnigma
Draft Peter Konz. A center at 32 overall isn't shabby and he's better value than that. Just have to hope the Lions don't snag him up first.

davmac2BB
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
That was a tough team and a really good front 7. Baas is our center for one more game this season. So can we just give him our support for that one game and worry about changes in the off season?

Well said. Some fan are forgetting that the 49ers were a top five defense this year and that they are scary good. Also people are forgetting that Baas had no offseason to work with the team. Give the guy a break please.

Oh yeah and we WON THE GAME LAST NIGHT!

NY_Eli
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
That was a tough team and a really good front 7.* Baas is our center for one more game this season.* So can we just give him our support for that one game and worry about changes in the off season?

Well said. Some fan are forgetting that the 49ers were a top five defense this year and that they are scary good. Also people are forgetting that Baas had no offseason to work with the team. Give the guy a break please.

Oh yeah and we WON THE GAME LAST NIGHT!

+1

DandyDon
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM

(even though I agree)

amazin post the day after your team gets into the superbowl.

are you kidding me?

MattMeyerBud
01-23-2012, 10:33 AM

I agree.. Baas has been a disappointment.

I think Canty and Boley have always been debated as good or bad signings... but its hard to say this was good

I think it was more of a need with little time and a bad FA class...

Firenugget
01-23-2012, 10:35 AM

(even though I agree)

are you kidding me?

I see your point but it's also a day after our QB was almost torn in half and a non existent running game.

Robert21156
01-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Kareem got raped too lol

GO GIANTS !!!
</P>

WOW! Strong words about Eli coming from Bansaw!! Yeah, seems like a combination of our average at best O-line along with their excellent front 7. What was amazing was that we ran the ball well right at the end of overtime with Bradshaw. I think we could have scored a touchdownjust by running it in. Perhaps the 9'ers knew the inevitable by then.</P>

RonJon
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Baas played well against a ferocious front four. He's played better since coming back from those headaches. MacKenzie is clearly the weak link on the line though. He's the most likely to be replaced after this season

bansaw
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Kareem got raped too lol

GO GIANTS !!!
</p>

WOW! Strong words about Eli coming from Bansaw!! Yeah, seems like a combination of our average at best O-line along with their excellent front 7. What was amazing was that we ran the ball well right at the end of overtime with Bradshaw. I think we could have scored a touchdownjust by running it in. Perhaps the 9'ers knew the inevitable by then.</p>dude I love Eli ever since his first win against Dallas

DandyDon
01-23-2012, 10:58 AM

(even though I agree)

are you kidding me?

I see your point but it's also a day after our QB was almost torn in half and a non existent running game.

no, I dont think you see my point.

we played possibly the best defense in the NFL, and won. we are in the superbowl. and first post the next day complains about the center?

just WOW...

sligoker
01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Did you see Baas's snaps yesterday. They were for the most part down at Eli's ankles!

sligoker
01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Baas has been miserable all season--not just against 49ers. Go review games, we actually ran the ball when he wasn't in there.

gumby742
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Baas was a need FA signing. We paid a rediculous amount but I think we needed to in order to stay competitive. That being said, I'm giving him one more year before i put this one on Reese.

trenken311
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Not really a Baas fan at all. In fact if you look at the numbers, our running game is MUCH better when Baas doesnt play. I blame this on the coaches for not making a change at center due to this stat alone.

The whole O line just got murdered and overmatched yesterday. Just not even in the same league as that Niners D. Possibly some a change or 2 coming there in the offseason.

Warchild
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Baas has been miserable all season--not just against 49ers.* Go review games, we actually ran the ball when he wasn't in there.

My point exactly!

jomo
01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Not really a Baas fan at all. In fact if you look at the numbers, our running game is MUCH better when Baas doesnt play. I blame this on the coaches for not making a change at center due to this stat alone.

The whole O line just got murdered and overmatched yesterday. Just not even in the same league as that Niners D. Possibly some a change or 2 coming there in the offseason.We don't need to spend money on running backs but we do need to spend it on the OL.

BrianK
01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Baas has been miserable all season--not just against 49ers.* Go review games, we actually ran the ball when he wasn't in there.
exactly

lilredk
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Could it be that Baas is out of position, since most of his career he was a guard???? Sometimes its a rough transition.....IMHO..

MikeIsaGiant
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I just can't believe how amazing the 49ers defense is, kudos to them.

In the offseason, I hope Reese addresses this issue.

IN REESE WE TRUST

whakka
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
to see eli go through that punishment yesterday was horrible. whether or not the game was won is really irrelevant when questions like this are asked, because win or lose, its valid when you think about the grand scheme. i think that when your invests so much into a quarter back, and id hope we can all agree that eli is an elite top 5 qb that deserves that investment, we also need to invest in his protection. i think that is the point. big blue is primarily a pass team this year, and a lot of us would rather see a balance so that opposing defenses arent able to tee off on our investment on every down, is all. and that balance isnt there, and i do not think the difference in the running game between when baas is there or not is coincidence. it is what it is.

how many years does eli have left? how many if we have a dominant o-line, how many if we see many more games like last night? those kind of games take their toll. sure they are a special defensive unit and all, but that really just exacerbated a preexisting situation.

JJC7301
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
OL as a whole needs to seriously re-evaluated and upgraded. We need to be able to run the ball as well.

MattMeyerBud
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
OL as a whole needs to seriously re-evaluated and upgraded. We need to be able to run the ball as well.

well I think McKenzie is gone next year

Its clear that Boothe and Petrus at guard is better than baas and boothe at guar