PDA

View Full Version : First round DE

Spizi
01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
The Giants are known for their pass rush up front and it will be in need of an upgrade after next year. Why? Because after next year Osi will be gone, and Tuck will be 30 and coming into a contract year. If you draft a DE now he will be ready to replace Osi when he leaves.

Who do you guys like?

bLuereverie
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I understand the Osi leaving assumptions. But I prefer not to talk about it as if it already happened.

Osi playing with the Giants next year is still not a far-fetched notion.

Raptor22
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I understand the Osi leaving assumptions. But I prefer not to talk about it as if it already happened.

he said "after next year", He's counting on Osi playing out his contract.

Given the draft position, The only one I really like is Melvin Ingram. I think his lack of height will drop him down boards, but he really reminds me of Tuck: Long arms, good athleticism, non-stop motor, and already plays all around the D-Line.

Mercilus is probably the best DE in the draft, but he'll be long gone the time JR steps up to the plate. (Note: I'm thinking Perry gets nabbed by NE before us, he can play OLB or DE, and they need a pass rusher)

Fletcher Cox is a good choice at DT, as well. I'm not ruling out Austin, but how many times have we seen a position of strength and depth wiped out by injury? I'd prefer that NOT happen to the D-line, thank you very much.

Spizi
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Given the draft position, The only one I really like is Melvin Ingram. I think his lack of height will drop him down boards, but he really reminds me of Tuck: Long arms, good athleticism, non-stop motor, and already plays all around the D-Line.

Mercilus is probably the best DE in the draft, but he'll be long gone the time JR steps up to the plate. (Note: I'm thinking Perry gets nabbed by NE before us, he can play OLB or DE, and they need a pass rusher)

Fletcher Cox is a good choice at DT, as well. I'm not ruling out Austin, but how many times have we seen a position of strength and depth wiped out by injury? I'd prefer that NOT happen to the D-line, thank you very much.

thank you for pointing out that I said "after next year."

Melvin Ingram is an athlete!! but honestly I see him going 2nd after coples. I checked scouts incs top 32 and Mercilus isn't even on it. Probably because he is a one year wonder but regardless he knows how to get to the QB and he has ideal size.

I just saw a star on ESPN and it was showing that the Giants hit the QB over 80% of drop backs with only their front 4 or something like that. We need to keep it up so DE is definitely an option.

myles2424
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Melvin Ingram is an athlete!! but honestly I see him going 2nd after coples. I checked scouts incs top 32 and Mercilus isn't even on it. Probably because he is a one year wonder but regardless he knows how to get to the QB and he has ideal size.

I just saw a star on ESPN and it was showing that the Giants hit the QB over 80% of drop backs with only their front 4 or something like that. We need to keep it up so DE is definitely an option. Ingram & mercilus will both be gone.......what doesn't anyone think about that DE from Marshall? I forget his name, good size, great production, comes off the ball nicely......
Personally I want Fletcher cox or Dwayne Allen

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Ingram & mercilus will both be gone.......what doesn't anyone think about that DE from Marshall? I forget his name, good size, great production, comes off the ball nicely......

vinny curry. Could be a nice target in the 2nd

Redeyejedi
01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Ingram & mercilus will both be gone.......what doesn't anyone think about that DE from Marshall? I forget his name, good size, great production, comes off the ball nicely......

vinny curry. Could be a nice target in the 2ndNice player havent watched him as much as the other guys. Im not a big fan of Ingram though.Slow first step and where do u play him. Im not really liking the DE's in this class. i liked Montgomery and the LB from Georgia Jarvis Jones but neither came out

Shockeyitus
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Chandler Jones, DE - Syracuse.... Built like Tuck, but quicker. Great athlete and has good gene's. His brothers are "Bones" Jones (UFC Champ) and Arthur Jones, DT for the Ravens. Solid pick up in Round3 or 4.

Shockeyitus
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Chandler Jones, DE - Syracuse.... Built like Tuck, but quicker. Great athlete and has good gene's. His brothers are "Bones" Jones (UFC Champ) and Arthur Jones, DT for the Ravens. Solid pick up in Round3 or 4.</P>

Another guy to look at.....</P>

Donte Paige-Moss, DE - UNC.... a lot of people think he is overrated, but the kid is a genetic specimen just like JPP. He will be surrounded by great DE's and can learn and develop. Definately worth a 4th or 5th round selection. </P>

Spizi
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM

I just saw a star on ESPN and it was showing that the Giants hit the QB over 80% of drop backs with only their front 4 or something like that. We need to keep it up so DE is definitely an option. Ingram & mercilus will both be gone.......what doesn't anyone think about that DE from Marshall? I forget his name, good size, great production, comes off the ball nicely......

Dwayne Allen would be the pick if I was gm but I could see Reese drafting another de lol

nycsportzfan
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
The Giants are known for their pass rush up front and it will be in need of an upgrade after next year. Why? Because after next year Osi will be gone, and Tuck will be 30 and coming into a contract year. If you draft a DE now he will be ready to replace Osi when he leaves.

Who do you guys like? WHitney mercilus is a dream scenario for me so that tells u how i feel about it.. I think this "stock your positon of power even when it seems stocked because its what your good at" method that Jerry Reese seems to like to use is working for us and WHitney is the exact kinda player that can keep the run of DE's and Dt's that are game changers going for us.. Strahan an Keith "hammer" Hamilton to Tuck and Osi and Cofield to Kiwi and JPP and now Linval to Whitney mercilus(hopefully).. Thats our philosophy and with injuries and what not u need to keep stocking the positons that make u successful and basically since 2000 the Dline has been our bread and butter..

nycsportzfan
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM

FLetcher Cox is right at the top of my list of hopefuls(being the possible realistic guys that could be available) that i hope are there at the END of RD 1.. Cox is a flat out Brute and playmaker from the DT positon.. I think u put him next to Linval Joseph and u got one of the best DT pairings in the league! It could possibly be one of the strongest(pure strength) DT pairings in the league! Cox could also step outside on Run plays if need be with his versatility.. I love watching him put his head down and drive into the back field...lol I think Cox is right there with Devon Still as the Best DT in this yrs draft .. Still is ahead of em but by very little in my opinion..

Blue daddy
01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I would rather see LB or RB maybe more help in the secondary or how about someone who's a threat in punt or kick returns.

bLuereverie
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

I was assuming the after next year was in regards to Tuck. Even then, I still believe [and hope] in the possibility of Osi getting an extension of 2-3 years.

nycsportzfan
01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I would rather see LB or RB maybe more help in the secondary or how about someone who's a threat in punt or kick returns. Lets not forget Jerrell Jerrnigan is only a Rook coming outta small Sun Belt confrence.. He still could be our answer to the KR issues..

Raptor22
01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Two other later round d linemen to keep a eye on are Mike Martin out of Michigan, and Jarred Crick out of Nebraska. Martin's a powerhouse with great hustle, but average athleticism. Crick is a LONG athlete, but for his height he's a little underweight, but he's got the athleticism to be a versatile defender (and he's a ferocious hitter). Also, if he can't work out at the combine he could be the steal of the draft on day 3.

Shockeyitus
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
I like the Crick pick and if he is around in round 4... he is definately worth grabbing. Like you said, he is versitile and can play DE/DT. Reminds me of a poor mans JJ Watt.

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I like the Crick pick and if he is around in round 4... he is definately worth grabbing. Like you said, he is versitile and can play DE/DT. Reminds me of a poor mans JJ Watt.

theres still talk of crick being a first rounder. probably more of a 2nd rounder, but falling to the end of the fourth round just is not going to happen

nycsportzfan
01-23-2012, 05:58 PM

theres still talk of crick being a first rounder. probably more of a 2nd rounder, but falling to the end of the fourth round just is not going to happen ya there is no way Crick goes even to the end of RD 3 let alone RD 4.. Hes at worst a <span id="_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ForumDescription">mid to late 2nd rder with late 1st possiblity.. Shoot even the giants are a possiblity for Crick in RD 1..
</span>

gmen0820
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I like the Crick pick and if he is around in round 4... he is definately worth grabbing. Like you said, he is versitile and can play DE/DT. Reminds me of a poor mans JJ Watt.I loved Watt and those 5T DE's. I had Watt as my top DE last year.

I know the Giants have scouted Crick closely from last year. I can definitely see him being a possibility at the end of round two if he made it that far.

Raptor22
01-23-2012, 09:45 PM

theres still talk of crick being a first rounder. probably more of a 2nd rounder, but falling to the end of the fourth round just is not going to happen ya* there is no way Crick goes even to the end of RD 3 let alone RD 4..* Hes at worst a <span id="_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ForumDescription">mid to late 2nd rder with late 1st possiblity.. Shoot even the giants are a possiblity for Crick in RD 1..
</span>

A healthy Crick, absolutely. But, with his injury, if he can't go at the combine, I can see GM's shying away.

Great prospect for the Giants though: versatile, ferocious hitter, fluid, and very high character. I'd give him the Tuck treatment; situational inside rusher (just think of him and Austin stunting while Tuck and JPP come off the edges, and Kiwi blitzes), and brought along as LDE as Tuck ages.

BlueSanta
01-24-2012, 03:52 AM
I would rather see LB or RB maybe more help in the secondary or how about someone who's a threat in punt or kick returns. Lets not forget Jerrell Jerrnigan is only a Rook coming outta small Sun Belt confrence.. He still could be our answer to the KR issues..

I had high hopes from him coming out of college as a special team returner. But I have not liked what I have seen from him in that capacity. Its not a skillset people usually develop either, its more instinctive than anything and I havent seen those instincts at all.

Raptor22
01-24-2012, 08:15 AM

I had high hopes from him coming out of college as a special team returner. But I have not liked what I have seen from him in that capacity. Its not a skillset people usually develop either, its more instinctive than anything and I havent seen those instincts at all.

I don't think he has to learn it per say, but just get used to the speed of the game. He was electric with the ball in his hands in college, and that was with the whole defense keying on him. Give him time before judging (like any rookie, but I think that's especially true with this year).

Besides, the Giants haven't had a returner in YEARS who even looked decent (Hixon would bust a good one occasionally to skew the averages, but overall, they always had a 5-10yrd disadvantage in field position). It doesn't matter WHO they've got back there if the blocking doesn't improve. Hopefully Izzo will replace Quinn this offseason and teach guys how to block.

Redeyejedi
01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Im really not high on the earlier guys. I would take a guy like Jonathan Massaquoi later and hope they can teach him how to play Football. The other guys just dont have the edge rushing ability Im looking for to replace a guy like Osi if he indeed leaves.

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM

I don't think he has to learn it per say, but just get used to the speed of the game. He was electric with the ball in his hands in college, and that was with the whole defense keying on him. Give him time before judging (like any rookie, but I think that's especially true with this year).

Besides, the Giants haven't had a returner in YEARS who even looked decent (Hixon would bust a good one occasionally to skew the averages, but overall, they always had a 5-10yrd disadvantage in field position). It doesn't matter WHO they've got back there if the blocking doesn't improve. Hopefully Izzo will replace Quinn this offseason and teach guys how to block.
Your 100pct right on about Jerrnigan.. He hasen't even returned kicks for a full season for us and is coming outta smaller confrence in the Sun Belt which is way diffrent with the speed of the game.. Who knows how his confidence is right now(due to his pre-season and not playing basically at all this yr) and if he can get a big kick return or punt return it could be all it takes to get his confidence up and start realizing he does belong here.. I would never lose hope on a guy who hasen't even done the job for a full yr yet and is still a rookie.. Jerrnigan could certainly not be a good returner but its clearly to small a sample size especially for a kid whos used to playing all the time and had a rocky start to his career(with the drops in preseason).. I think alittle confidence can go along way with jerrnigan.. We definetly gotta give em more time as a player in general doing anything at all on the football field.. He basically gets a free pass in my opinion this yr especially on the WR end of things and yes as a returner as well

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:54 AM

theres still talk of crick being a first rounder. probably more of a 2nd rounder, but falling to the end of the fourth round just is not going to happen ya there is no way Crick goes even to the end of RD 3 let alone RD 4.. Hes at worst a <span id="_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ForumDescription">mid to late 2nd rder with late 1st possiblity.. Shoot even the giants are a possiblity for Crick in RD 1..
</span>

A healthy Crick, absolutely. But, with his injury, if he can't go at the combine, I can see GM's shying away.

Great prospect for the Giants though: versatile, ferocious hitter, fluid, and very high character. I'd give him the Tuck treatment; situational inside rusher (just think of him and Austin stunting while Tuck and JPP come off the edges, and Kiwi blitzes), and brought along as LDE as Tuck ages. I'd be shocked if he dosen't go in RD 2 even if he dosen't go to the combine and participate.. I think his versatility and the possiblity of having a guy who can rush the passer from end or tackle is gonna be to much for teams to pass on.. If Cricks there when we pick in RD 2 and we didn't go Dline in RD 1 i think we'll take em..

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Im really not high on the earlier guys. I would take a guy like Jonathan Massaquoi later and hope they can teach him how to play Football. The other guys just dont have the edge rushing ability Im looking for to replace a guy like Osi if he indeed leaves. I can't believe your not high on mercilus.. THe guys a playmaker with perfect 4/3 DE size who forces turnovers just like OSI and is a complete player unlike Osi.. mercilus and jpp would form one freakishly good DE DUO going forward..

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
If the Giants wait on a DE untill mid rds I'd take a good hard look at Tyrone Crawford DE Boise St.. Hes not the fastest player off the edge but has a great big and strong frame and a great feel for the game.. Some guys just know how to play this game and Tyrone Crawford is extremely underrated and whoever gets him will get a very nice value pick in the mid rd's

Shockeyitus
01-24-2012, 01:33 PM
If the Giants wait on a DE untill mid rds I'd take a good hard look at Tyrone Crawford DE Boise St.. Hes not the fastest player off the edge but has a great big and strong frame and a great feel for the game.. Some guys just know how to play this game and Tyrone Crawford is extremely underrated and whoever gets him will get a very nice value pick in the mid rd's
</P>

</P>

Chandler Jones, DE - Syracuse... 6'5, 270ish... long and athletic! Round 3-4</P>

BlueSanta
01-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Your 100pct right on about Jerrnigan.. He hasen't even returned kicks for a full season for us and is coming outta smaller confrence in the Sun Belt which is way diffrent with the speed of the game.. Who knows how his confidence is right now(due to his pre-season and not playing basically at all this yr) and if he can get a big kick return or punt return it could be all it takes to get his confidence up and start realizing he does belong here.. I would never lose hope on a guy who hasen't even done the job for a full yr yet and is still a rookie.. Jerrnigan could certainly not be a good returner but its clearly to small a sample size especially for a kid whos used to playing all the time and had a rocky start to his career(with the drops in preseason).. I think alittle confidence can go along way with jerrnigan.. We definetly gotta give em more time as a player in general doing anything at all on the football field.. He basically gets a free pass in my opinion this yr especially on the WR end of things and yes as a returner as well

I kind of disagree.

As far as JJ as a WR I do agree. We need to give him time to develop. I am 100% fine with that, its too early to judge and he absolutely gets a free pass.

But as a return man, its about instincts. Its not about getting used to anything. He could improve a bit with confidence, but I do not see those instincts yet. I see a guy who doesnt set up his blockers on returns. He doesnt always make the proper cut and he doesnt seem to have the vision.

If you are not a good return man the day you enter the NFL it is very unlikely you will develop into 1. You might learn some tricks but if the instincts arent there, they arent there. He has not been an instinctive return man at all.

Redeyejedi
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Im really not high on the earlier guys. I would take a guy like Jonathan Massaquoi later and hope they can teach him how to play Football. The other guys just dont have the edge rushing ability Im looking for to replace a guy like Osi if he indeed leaves. I can't believe your not high on mercilus.. THe guys a playmaker with perfect 4/3 DE size who forces turnovers just like OSI and is a complete player unlike Osi.. mercilus and jpp would form one freakishly good DE DUO going forward..
There not going to get Mercilus I think he will be picked

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
There not going to get Mercilus I think he will be picked Oh i coulden't agree more.. He'll be gone way before as i perdicted about a month ago that he'd be gone in the top 20picks(actually guranteed it i believe?) .. Hes a guy i knew was gonna be a high riser.. Way to dominant in a pretty good league to not rise.. Hes also a complete DE that can stop the run and cause havoc as a pass rusher..

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM

I kind of disagree.

As far as JJ as a WR I do agree. We need to give him time to develop. I am 100% fine with that, its too early to judge and he absolutely gets a free pass.

But as a return man, its about instincts. Its not about getting used to anything. He could improve a bit with confidence, but I do not see those instincts yet. I see a guy who doesnt set up his blockers on returns. He doesnt always make the proper cut and he doesnt seem to have the vision.

If you are not a good return man the day you enter the NFL it is very unlikely you will develop into 1. You might learn some tricks but if the instincts arent there, they arent there. He has not been an instinctive return man at all.

I don't know about that.. The guys barley returned anything this yr.. Theres a 100pct diffrence in the speed of the game even on ST's when going to the pros from the Sun Belt.. Hes gotta get more chances then hes had to come up with even half a conclusion on what kinda returner he is.. Right now we have no clue on what kinda returner hes gonna be.. He just hasen't had that many opps

Raptor22
01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

I kind of disagree.

I don't know about that.. The guys barley returned anything this yr.. Theres a 100pct diffrence in the speed of the game even on ST's when going to the pros from the Sun Belt.. Hes gotta get more chances then hes had to come up with even half a conclusion on what kinda returner he is.. Right now we have no clue on what kinda returner hes gonna be.. He just hasen't had that many opps

My thoughts exactly.

Although, my thoughts also include "Set up his blockers... WHAT BLOCKERS!?" In all honesty, we could have Devon Hester back there and he'd look like a bum.

nycsportzfan
01-24-2012, 09:38 PM

I kind of disagree.

My thoughts exactly.

Although, my thoughts also include "Set up his blockers... WHAT BLOCKERS!?" In all honesty, we could have Devon Hester back there and he'd look like a bum.
ya thats true our blockers are bad