PDA

View Full Version : cant advance a fumble? thats stupid rule

BigBlueFanNJ
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
The play that hit the returners leg makes it a fumble why would they make a rule that you cannot advance the ball when every other fumble you can seems inconsistent to me!!!

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why.

Mark444
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
so is forward progress. an eye for an eye

MikeIsaGiant
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Nevermind, wrong punt.

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
The returner never had the ball and the ball touched him that is why the defender can't run with it since he can down the ball at the spot on returns.

Kruunch
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
The play that hit the returners leg makes it a fumble why would they make a rule that you cannot advance the ball when every other fumble you can seems inconsistent to me!!!

Assumably the rule is there to keep the kicking team from squibbing it at their opponents.

Bad rule imo.

Blue daddy
This. Clearly you know the rules.

buddy33
so is forward progress. an eye for an eye

Why is that a stupid rule? The player is stopped and being pushed back. So them they should down him where they tackle him?

Joe Morrison
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why. hmmmm, but he was progressing no? Wouldn't that count as a fumble? If he was standing still and dropped it, wouldn't that be a muffed punt?</P>

I learned this one the hard way while coaching pee wee football and one of our guys picked up a muff and went all the way only to get the ball at the spot of the muff, another stupid rule.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why. hmmmm, but he was progressing no? Wouldn't that count as a fumble? If he was standing still and dropped it, wouldn't that be a muffed punt?</P>

I learned this one the hard way while coaching pee wee football and one of our guys picked up a muff and went all the way only to get the ball at the spot of the muff, another stupid rule.</P>

Was speaking about the wrong punt, I got confused haha

Ruttiger711
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes the rule is you cant advance a muff... but the real question is why? </P>

For all those so quick to say "its the rule", yeah ok no one's doubting that but what's the spirit of the rule?</P>

TheStomach
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Giants also got lucky at the end of the game when they didn't call a fumble on whoever it was. Guy clearly fumbled it but idiot ref blew his whistle way early. Ref clearly cost the 49ers the game but giants played well.

Blue daddy
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Giants also got lucky at the end of the game when they didn't call a fumble on whoever it was. Guy clearly fumbled it but idiot ref blew his whistle way early. Ref clearly cost the 49ers the game but giants played well.
His foward progress was stopped and he was actually moveing backwards when he was stripped. and not to mention the whistle.

SF4986
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Are you going to post this in every thread? You're embarrassing us. Starting to sound like the Nawlins fans last week. Let it go and just admit we were outplayed on a couple of key plays and made too many mistakes.

buddy33
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
His foward progress was stopped and he was actually moveing backwards when he was stripped. and not to mention the whistle.

Forget the whistle, his forward progress was stopped an he was being pushed back. It's just like when a guy make s catch for a 1st down and gets pushed back. They give him the ball where his forward progress was stopped. They did not get lucky there. It is a rule and not a new one. Very easy call for the ref to make.

Kruunch
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Are you going to post this in every thread? You're embarrassing us. Starting to sound like the Nawlins fans last week. Let it go and just admit we were outplayed on a couple of key plays and made too many mistakes.

I thought you guys played an awesome game.

In close games like that, ANYTHING can happen (and usually does).

TheStomach
01-23-2012, 12:02 PM

the 49ers were not outplayed. Why can't people admit that? the better team yesterday was the 49ers. One player made 2 costly mistakes. Is he part of the team? yes. But if you look at the majority of the players...the majority of the team, the 49ers were better and played well enough to win.

By the way I am not a 49ers fan at all. If i had to choose between the two teams I would be a giants fan before a 49ers fan. Don't include me in your "us" - that's a group i don't want to be a part of.

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
By the way I am not a 49ers fan at all. If i had to choose between the two teams I would be a giants fan before a 49ers fan. Don't include me in your "us" - that's a group i don't want to be a part of.

if you arent a 9ers or a giants fan, why the hell are you here?

TheStomach
01-23-2012, 12:04 PM

if you arent a 9ers or a giants fan, why the hell are you here?

because I can be bro

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM

the 49ers were not outplayed. Why can't people admit that? the better team yesterday was the 49ers. One player made 2 costly mistakes. Is he part of the team? yes. But if you look at the majority of the players...the majority of the team, the 49ers were better and played well enough to win.

By the way I am not a 49ers fan at all. If i had to choose between the two teams I would be a giants fan before a 49ers fan. Don't include me in your "us" - that's a group i don't want to be a part of.Yes they were outplayed since they still had to finish the game and could have gave it back with a fumble or a fumble exchange between the C and qb.

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
because I can be bro

cool story bro.

BigBlueFanNJ
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

The 49ers Defense played very well but so did the Giants D aside from 2 big pass plays the 49ers offense did not do much it was very evenly matched game.

also the play that set up the FG was a great special teams play the guy did not just drop the ball it was a great strip!!

jhamburg
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Assumably the rule is there to keep the kicking team from squibbing it at their opponents.

Bad rule imo.

How would you do that on a punt anyway?

DJloves
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM

The majority of the 49ers played well enough to win... but ALL of the Giants played well enough to win. There's your difference. We can play the "if" game all day (Williams was also the guy that recovered the fumble when Osi should have had it; Davis could have stepped out of bounds; the refs should have called offsides and a face mask against the 49ers; etc etc), but lets strip this down to what matters - both teams played great, but only one could win. We won, thus making us the better team yesterday.

And rotf - you know you're a 49er fan pretending you're not.