PDA

View Full Version : Deion Sanders' "I believe..." a joke...

yoeddy
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Watching Deion on NFL Network after the game...and he basically admiited that prior to yesterday, his "I believe in Eli" was said as a joke, but Eli has finally proven to him that he is a "good QB"....

Ruttiger711
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
He's trying now to get the "Gomer Pile" nickname to stick to Eli... saying it over and over and over... trying real hard..

BigBlueFanNJ
That's strange last week before the Packers gameon their pregame show, he said he knows it sounds like a joke when he says it but he really means it!!

He sounded sincere to me

nygfanmaybe
That's his way of eating crow...

Mr Excitement
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
A good QB....thats the understatement of the year....Eli is the best in football in my opinion...never gets rattled...took a beating yesterday and still lead us to victory over the best D in football....Deion is a tool....

burier
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
A good QB....thats the understatement of the year....Eli is the best in football in my opinion...never gets rattled...took a beating yesterday and still lead us to victory over the best D in football....Deion is a tool....

Deion is a tool and Eli is the best.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
huh i watch nfl network and there is no joking when sanders says that.

for gods sake he was even singing i believe in eli.

never heard him say he jokes when he says that, he debates the other nfl guys and they all say eli is elite and top tier and is more clutch then peyton.

sanders DOES believe in eli

yoeddy
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM

never heard him say he jokes when he says that, he debates the other nfl guys and they all say eli is elite and top tier and is more clutch then peyton.

So are you saying he lied yesterday when he said he usually means it as a joke?

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 11:51 AM

sanders DOES believe in eliI agree with you.

BigBlue121
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
seemed like all season he was the only one that bELIeved in Eli.

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM

I would like to see this quote and the context of it.

He may very well be saying that the way he says "I BELIEVE!" is a joke, but he legitimately thinks ELi is a really good QB...

Ive seen enough of it from him to think that he doesnt think its a joke.

giantsforce
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
A good QB....thats the understatement of the year....Eli is the best in football in my opinion...never gets rattled...took a beating yesterday and still lead us to victory over the best D in football....Deion is a tool....Along with that idiot Skip Bayless. He is just saying that Eli is not elite but he will be if he beats Brady in the SB! Actually he thinks that Big Ben is elite because he has 2 rings! Man, I was not a big fan of Eli, but after what he has done this year, I think he is one of the best out there and certainly he is the best come 4th qrt. No denying that. I just cannot see how you cannot admire how calm he was despite all the pressure.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 11:56 AM

i watched the entire post game nfl network show like 3 times and not once did i hear him say he is joking when he says i believe in eli.

he's said it so many times when eli makes huge plays, is he joking then? i've seen him tell irving "see i told u i believe, now do u?" and irvings like i do believe in eli now.

get a clip of where he says he's joking and ill tell u what i think but from what i saw he didnt say he is joking

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Watching Deion on NFL Network after the game...and he basically admiited that prior to yesterday, his "I believe in Eli" was said as a joke, but Eli has finally proven to him that he is a "good QB"....No, he said sometimes they joke around in the studio but when he says he believes in Eli, he means it. What's the matter with you... insecure?

Pakman
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
He always says "people think I'm joking when I say it, but I'm not."

HE ALWAYS SAYS THAT.

He believes in Eli

slipknottin
01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d8263d197/Let-s-Go-Primetime

And Ill be honest, Irvin was the worst when he started on NFLN, but hes growing on me. He really does love Nicks and Cruz

Marvelousmik
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM

never heard him say he jokes when he says that

thats what i was thinking. ive kept nfl network on all night after the game and on all morning and have not heard this myself

Pakman
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d8263d197/Let-s-Go-Primetime

And Ill be honest, Irvin was the worst when he started on NFLN, but hes growing on me. He really does love Nicks and Cruz

Same here, but not only for his love of our WR's, he really seems like he appreciates the game.

GiantsFan27
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
let me tell you guys exactly how the whole "I BELIEVE IN ELI" thing started.

deion said it years ago when eli was inconsistent as heck and would make a handful of dumb throws every other game. he said it completely sarcastic back then as a joke because he's a cowboys fan at heart.

now that eli has proven to be legit, he knows there's no doubting he's elite so now he's acting like he meant it seriously all along which he absolutely did not.

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM

And Ill be honest, Irvin was the worst when he started on NFLN, but hes growing on me. He really does love Nicks and CruzI think Irvin is hilarious. Sometimes I don't know if I'm laughing with him or laughing at him.

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

And Ill be honest, Irvin was the worst when he started on NFLN, but hes growing on me. He really does love Nicks and Cruz*double post*

Voldamort
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Every ex-cowboy pick the 49ers!! Irvin likes to take credit for all the wrs. that wear 88!!! NOW HE LOVES NICKS!!! keep picking againest the Giants!!!

Pakman
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM

deion said it years ago when eli was inconsistent as heck and would make a handful of dumb throws every other game. he said it completely sarcastic back then as a joke because he's a cowboys fan at heart.

now that eli has proven to be legit, he knows there's no doubting he's elite so now he's acting like he meant it seriously all along which he absolutely did not.

It was pretty embarrassing the year we won the superbowl he said it as a joke. After the superbowl win he is talking to Eli and he said I always believed in you Eli..

Yeah that was great..but tiki interviewing Eli was the best in superbowl 42

Zaggs
01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Watching Deion on NFL Network after the game...and he basically admiited that prior to yesterday, his "I believe in Eli" was said as a joke, but Eli has finally proven to him that he is a "good QB"....

Oh jeez, he was saying how he SAYS it is a joke. Ya know, when he says its like "I beeellleeeeevveee in Eli.", not him actually believing in Eli. They all clown around like that. But him actually believing in Eli is not a joke. After beating the Patriots (I think) he went around the table and had Eisen and Irvin say they believe in Eli as well. Hell one time he was interviewing Romo and said Romno needed to play a real game and only then would he believe in him like he does with Eli.
The "Gomer Pile" comment was about the look on Eli's face and it was part of Deion saying how no matter what happens, Eli stays level. Considering how many on this board call it Eli's "Aw schucks" look, its a bit late to complain.

DEgiants89

sanders DOES believe in eliI agree with you.

same to the both of you

slipknottin

this is all wrong.

GiantsFan27
01-23-2012, 12:35 PM

this is all wrong.

http://tf2chan.net/gmod/src/131116432168.jpg

jimsgints
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Actually I'm very impressed with Deon. He is doing a good job of being professional while he's eating his big plate of fat crow! Ha!

egyptian420
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

me too....him and michael irvin are actually both very respectful when it comes to the giants and they give us tons of credit

P_Simms_#11
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I liked how he had Eli at #1 in his "Primetime" segment. I was laughing when they all were singing "I Believe in Eli".

There was a time when i couldn't stand Deion Sanders, but over the years he has grown on me.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
just to end this, did anyone see the deon sanders prime time top 5 players of sunday?

he was singing I believe in Eli, I believe he can touch the sky. Think about him every night and day...ya know to that song from space jam i believe?

there aint no way deon is kidding around when he says he believes in eli. he even said to romo that he needs to get to the NFCCG before he believes in romo like he believes in eli.

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I liked how he had Eli at #1 in his "Primetime" segment. I was laughing when they all were singing "I Believe in Eli".

There was a time when i couldn't stand Deion Sanders, but over the years he has grown on me.

For some thought in my head, someone is at opposite ends. They liked Sanders but after a while, they are hating on him.

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
just to end this, did anyone see the deon sanders prime time top 5 players of sunday?

he was singing I believe in Eli, I believe he can touch the sky. Think about him every night and day...ya know to that song from space jam i believe?

there aint no way deon is kidding around when he says he believes in eli. he even said to romo that he needs to get to the NFCCG before he believes in romo like he believes in eli.Lol @ Space Jam. R Kelly sung that song but I believe it was a woman that originally sung it. I'm gonna google it.

burier
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM

there aint no way deon is kidding around when he says he believes in eli. he even said to romo that he needs to get to the NFCCG before he believes in romo like he believes in eli.

As I recall it Deion started with I believe in Eli stuff during the 07 SB run and it was more or less to Mock Eli.

"Eli sucks but he had a good game so I'm gonna be obnoxious about it and scream I BELIEVE"

Basically the same way alot of people on this board behave.

After The Giants beat the Packers Rich Eisen said look "Eli is an elite QB and we shouldn't be snickering if he says so"

Deion basically agreed saying that he does do the I believe stuff to have fun but that he does mean it....etc etc.

I do believe that it was started to Mock Eli but has really continued just because he's been doing it so long.

SweetZombieJesus
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Deion Sanders is, I believe, a joke

THE_New_York_Giants
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I remember after the packers game he kept saying it over and over. Deion believes in Eli. It isn't a joke. Deion bELIeves in Eli! The OP is trolling.

rebelfan1966
01-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I remember before the Giants / Cowboys game, he said "it does not matter which one of these teams win, they will be one and done in the playoffs".

BigBlue1971
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
this thread itself confirms one thing, there is no clear majority about Deion!</P>

to me the way he says it at times has me doubtful that he means it!</P>

most fans can tell when analysts are clear on 1 subject or the other, butDeions "I beleive in Eli" deal is a little suspect to me!</P>

nygfanmaybe
01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
IMO, it absolutely began as a "joke' or "mock"...whatever...and Eli did what he has done to so many other detractors...shoved it down their throats and said, "Believe that!!"

Vtgmenfan89
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Actually he's been saying that he really means it when he says it and has definitely sounded sincere when he does....he's done nothing but praise him as of late

Raffi
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
That's his way of eating crow...

What exactly is crow? It that like eating grits?

JMGGIANTS
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I didn't hear that and like othersI watched NFL Network for about 4 cycles already. It certainly has not been a joke by Deon. He truly believed in Eli. Talk about an erroneous report...come on Yoeddy.

burier
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
so what about the Gomer Pile comment??

You guys really can't tell when you're being mocked?????

JMGGIANTS
01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
STFU don't know what you are talking about. get lost

pino
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
That's strange last week before the Packers gameon their pregame show, he said he knows it sounds like a joke when he says it but he really means it!!

He sounded sincere to me

I heard that too. He said he has always believed in Eli.

Zaggs
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM

The comment was about Eli's look on his face. Its the same when Giants fan call it his "Aw shucks" look. All he was saying is that Eli is always even keel. If you had listened to the show when he said it, you would realize he was giving Eli a compliment.

BigBlue2010
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I suspect both sides to this debate are true. He believed in Eli but he also carried on about it to be humorous because of how much everybody else doubted him.

P_Simms_#11
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM

For some thought in my head, someone is at opposite ends. They liked Sanders but after a while, they are hating on him.

My dislike was mostly back when he was still playing.

GmenFan1980
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQXOhvvvT68

TrueBlue@NYC
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
He always says "people think I'm joking when I say it, but I'm not."

HE ALWAYS SAYS THAT.

He believes in Eli

Yep, he's been saying it all year, even when the GMEN were losing he was saying he believed in Eli. He makes fun of it and all, but he's truly been backing Eli all year.

Deon has been sincere about it all season, actually the whole NFL network crew has been nothing but positive about him.

It's the ESPN guys that have been the other way most of the season.

Ruttiger711
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
so what about the Gomer Pile comment?? You guys really can't tell when you're being mocked?????

The comment was about Eli's look on his face. Its the same when Giants fan call it his "Aw shucks" look. All he was saying is that Eli is always even keel. If you had listened to the show when he said it, you would realize he was giving Eli a compliment.
</P>

In no world is calling someone Gomer Pile a compliment... he might as well have been callinghim Simple Jack. </P>

burier
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM

The comment was about Eli's look on his face.* Its the same when Giants fan call it his "Aw shucks" look.* All he was saying is that Eli is always even keel.* If you had listened to the show when he said it, you would realize he was giving Eli a compliment.

No offense but your are crazy. Gomer Pile has nothing to do with being even keeled...that's about being dumb and its disrespectful.

Zaggs
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM

If that doesn't convince people, try this one: Eli's Greatness (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d823dcbb7/Greatness-for-Eli)

Zaggs
01-23-2012, 03:14 PM

No offense but your are crazy. Gomer Pile has nothing to do with being even keeled...that's about being dumb and its disrespectful.

One more try. The LOOK. It wasn't about Eli's IQ. Once again, listen to what Deion actually said. He said he had a Gomer pile look on his face regardless of what happened. Not Eli was Gomer Pile.

JMGGIANTS
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Obviously they don't watch much of NFL Network. If they did they would know Deon has believed in Eli for at least a couple of years now.

Ruttiger711
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Obviously they don't watch much of NFL Network. If they did they would know Deon has believed in Eli for at least a couple of years now.</P>

Its all I watch ..</P>

Deon's been saying it for years and having fun with it ....at the same time loading it with ambiguity...just so he can have fun with it.. its Deon thats what he does...</P>

The Gomer Pile thing last night was really odd to me... because THAT was uncharacteristic of the whole "I believe" thing... its goofing on him, on his appearance plain and simple... there is nothing complimentary whatsoever about calling someone Gomer Pile.... if it wasnt Deon's intent then just chalk it up to ignorance on his part. </P>

zimonami
01-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Oh jeez, he was saying how he SAYS it is a joke.* Ya know, when he says its like "I beeellleeeeevveee in Eli.", not him actually believing in Eli.* They all clown around like that.* But him actually believing in Eli is not a joke.* After beating the Patriots (I think) he went around the table and had Eisen and Irvin say they believe in Eli as well.* Hell one time he was interviewing Romo and said Romno needed to play a real game and only then would he believe in him like he does with Eli.
The "Gomer Pile" comment was about the look on Eli's face and it was part of Deion saying how no matter what happens, Eli stays level.* Considering how many on this board call it Eli's "Aw schucks" look, its a bit late to complain.

You and GiantFan27 have it right. It was a joke for years with Deion... and, you are right... it was right about the time we beat the Pats this season that Deion continued to make it sound like he was being facetious, but he was finally emphasizing how it was not a joke anymore. For sure It was sometime this year that he truly did turn, but he never stopped the "I Belieeeeeve" Schtick... and now they are singing it to Seal's song... it was kind of fun.

burier
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

The comment was about Eli's look on his face.* Its the same when Giants fan call it his "Aw shucks" look.* All he was saying is that Eli is always even keel.* If you had listened to the show when he said it, you would realize he was giving Eli a compliment.

One more try.* The LOOK.* It wasn't about Eli's IQ.* Once again, listen to what Deion actually said.* He said he had a Gomer pile look on his face regardless of what happened.* Not Eli was Gomer Pile.

Dude he called him gomer pile multiple times and said *Mockingly* you can't hurt Gomer Pile. You're kidding yourself if you think that being called Gomer Pile is any way shape or form a compliment and everything he says about Eli even when its complimentary is with a wink and a nod as if to say "We all know he sucks"

Don't tell me you were the kid that all of the other kids used to make fun of right infront of his face.

rebelfan1966
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
You know what is great, Eli is the caliber of QB who does not pay attention to the critics... or even the people heaping praise on him. He does his thing to the best of his ability and lets his play do the talking.

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
My father heard Eli talk for the 1st time last night and called him "Moose" (meaning an idiot football player). That's the aura Eli tends to give but who cares, we all know he's not dumb by any stretch... just misunderstood.

Manstache
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Watching Deion on NFL Network after the game...and he basically admiited that prior to yesterday, his "I believe in Eli" was said as a joke, but Eli has finally proven to him that he is a "good QB"...."good" qb? smh.... elite is more accurate.

JMGGIANTS
01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
My father heard Eli talk for the 1st time last night and called him "Moose" (meaning an idiot football player). That's the aura Eli tends to give but who cares, we all know he's not dumb by any stretch... just misunderstood.</P>

I learn something new every day...Moose means idiot football player...first time I heard that. BTW Eli does not sound like an idiot...sigh.</P>

JesseJames
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
who gives a damn what Deion Sanders says, he's just a washed up has been with a monstrous ego

BurnerNYG
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
My father heard Eli talk for the 1st time last night and called him "Moose" (meaning an idiot football player). That's the aura Eli tends to give but who cares, we all know he's not dumb by any stretch... just misunderstood.</P>

I learn something new every day...Moose means idiot football player...first time I heard that.* BTW Eli does not sound like an idiot...sigh.</P>It's an inside joke, I wouldn't expect you to understand. My father is old school and he calls every player he thinks is dumb "Moose". Eli was saying "uh" a lot so that's why he called him that. He was joking.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 05:17 PM
no who i lost a ton of respect to, marshall faulk. before the game, he was saying that eli shouldnt have been a number one pick bc of his collegiate record. how "the numbers didnt indicate he was worthy of the 1rst pick"...hey FAULK U, thats why ur an announcer AND NOT A SCOUT.

i'd say eli has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that eli, like his brother, are arguably the greatest 1rst pick QB's to EVER play the game. those two and Elway, imagine being a 1rst pick IN NY, and PROVING it was the right decision.

eat crow faulk u.

bflo23
01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I think Deion Sanders was being honest. He sang "I believe Eli" like that "I believe i can fly" song and then picked the Giants to win. He must like how Eli is playing. I heard Sanders compliment Eli and called him AN ELITE QB!

Watch the link and he says he believes in Eli and calls him ELITE.

JMFP2
01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Home or away, dome or mudpit, hot or freezing, Eli competes. Can't ask for much more than that.

People that just rely on stats would consider Brett Favre to be a better QB than Bart Starr....but ask any hardcore Packer fan who their alltime best QB was.

P_Simms_#11
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Home or away, dome or mudpit, hot or freezing, Eli competes. Can't ask for much more than that.

People that just rely on stats would consider Brett Favre to be a better QB than Bart Starr....but ask any hardcore Packer fan who their alltime best QB was.

Good point. Same people who think Philip Rivers is better than Eli. It's the fantasy football mindset.

yoeddy
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM

@burier...you and I are in agreement on this. Deion has been mocking Eli all along, but now that Eli has gone WAY BEYOND proving how good he is, Deion has no recourse other than to finally acknowledge Eli's abilities, and now has to disparage him with things like the Gomer Pyle thing...

yoeddy
01-23-2012, 10:08 PM

If that doesn't convince people, try this one: Eli's Greatness (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d823dcbb7/Greatness-for-Eli)

IN the first link above, the entire reason why Rich Eisen poses the question directly to Deion is because Rich knows how much it pains Deion to say anything positive about Eli.

Listen to how Eli talks about other QBs...when he likes a QB, the praise is unconditional. But when he gives Eli any kind of praise, it has all sorts of descriptors and caveats around it....

Anyways, I don't really care other than it's Deion that keeps me from watching NFL Network...

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 10:12 PM

he admited a month ago that eli is a fantastic QB.

i'm a huge Eli fan and the whole aww shucks gomer pile thing is funny.

Diamondring
01-23-2012, 10:18 PM

he admited a month ago that eli is a fantastic QB.

i'm a huge Eli fan and the whole aww shucks gomer pile thing is funny.I examin both Gomer and Eli and Eli does remind me of him by the looks of their faces. Someone should put both of their faces on here to compare them.

Bing Crosby
01-24-2012, 12:20 AM
I'll admit that I never watched the NFL network before this year, but I've watched Deion defend Eli multiple times on air and not just during GameDay Final. He's defended him on No Huddle twice at the very least. Once against Irvin and another time against Warren Sapp. Did it all start as a joke? Maybe, but even if it did Deion ate his crow and has continued to defend him when he had no reason to. He easily could have talked down Eli like Irvin and Sapp but he didn't. And as he reminded Irvin "You can't pick based on your heart man!"

Also I believe Deion's heart is more with Atlanta then it is with Dallas anyways.

foosball
01-24-2012, 02:24 AM
He ate his crow and admitted he was being an idiot. Good for him.