PDA

View Full Version : That loss was Harbaugh's fault, not Kyle Williams

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
made this point all day.

he had a guy in on ST that wasn't his regular starter, dove for a fair catch punt in the 1st half, then had one bounce off his leg.

on the other side of the ball, after the bounce off on Williams, Coughlin switches to Aaron Ross and tells him to catch and secure the ball get your yards and go down before contact.

in OT, WIlliams gets stripped on a pretty simple play.

If Harbaugh wanted him to stay aggressive on his returns, then he wasn't paying attention to the conditions or situation, or he didn't trust is offense, or both.

bottom line, our coach saw the danger and adjusted, there's gambled and lost.

Don't blame the player for that, blame the coach. he had enough signs on the field already that he should have said something to him (assuming he didn't obviously).

bflo23
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
On the botched punt off his knee..... He let the ball bounce and it took a very aggressive bounce forward that would have kept on rolling for the Giants favor. When he saw the bounce, he rethought about stopping the ball from rolling and changed his mind because the odd bounces. He simply couldn't make up his mind and the ball hit his knee..... You either go after the ball or STAY AWAY. Big mistake. Coaching couldn't help him with that brain f@rt.

On the fumble, I don't blame him for running hard (he had a big return earlier) but he better always have 2 hands on the ball when he is running. This is a playoff game here. People will forget about it in the regular season but not now. I blame the player.

GmenFan1980
01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
made this point all day.

he had a guy in on ST that wasn't his regular starter, dove for a fair catch punt in the 1st half, then had one bounce off his leg.

on the other side of the ball, after the bounce off on Williams, Coughlin switches to Aaron Ross and tells him to catch and secure the ball get your yards and go down before contact.

If Harbaugh wanted him to stay aggressive on his returns, then he wasn't paying attention to the conditions or situation, or he didn't trust is offense, or both.

Don't blame the player for that, blame the coach. he had enough signs on the field already that he should have said something to him (assuming he didn't obviously).

He is still an idiot for not securing the ball correctly :P.

But I agree all the same. Don't try to be a hero, just get what you can and go down.

Markroman
01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I made the point that for some reason on the last 3 49er possessions, Harbaugh abandoned the run.

Watching the game, the biggest thing i feared was Gore running on the last 3 series. Having Smith try to be TOm Brady was non sense.

chuckedafter5yards
01-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Great point, that diving catch early in the game could have been disaster. The 49er offense is just not an NFL offense and it would appear neither are their special teams.

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I made the point that for some reason on the last 3 49er possessions, Harbaugh abandoned the run.

Watching the game, the biggest thing i feared was Gore running on the last 3 series. Having Smith try to be TOm Brady was non sense.

seriously!!!

3 passing plays that chews up 18 seconds at the end of the game?

when smith had the ball with under 2 minutes to go, i thought, jeez, with gore and a VD pass, they could be in FG range with no time left on the clock.

and then 3 passing plays?

not alot of focus on Harbaugh in this loss at all.

Sarcasman
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
On the botched punt off his knee..... He let the ball bounce and it took a very aggressive bounce forward that would have kept on rolling for the Giants favor. When he saw the bounce, he rethought about stopping the ball from rolling and changed his mind because the odd bounces. He simply couldn't make up his mind and the ball hit his knee..... You either go after the ball or STAY AWAY. Big mistake. Coaching couldn't help him with that brain f@rt.

On the fumble, I don't blame him for running hard (he had a big return earlier) but he better always have 2 hands on the ball when he is running. This is a playoff game here. People will forget about it in the regular season but not now. I blame the player.

Blaming the player is ridiculous.

Win and lose as a team. The offense didn't exactly bail him out any.

That kind of weak crap is for fans looking for a scapegoat.

The 49er players interviewed after the game were all great, not one would even entertain blaming Williams. Everyone of them defended him. That's a real team.

gfanblue
01-23-2012, 09:29 PM
That loss was lucky, Bradshaws fumble non-call was too close for me

gmen0820
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Greg Roman is at fault IMO.

The interior of the Giants DL was collapsing almost every running play by Iupati-Goodwin-Snyder. Roman never exploited it. They could have demoralized this defense by shoving it down our throats. It had been a while since I had seen that DL get beat at the POA consistently.

And then like someone else said, that 18 second drive and all those shotgun runs just were bad play calls. I mean, they could line up and run it, we couldn't. Harbaugh was even asked by reporters about all those shotgun runs and that 18 second drive.

NYGRealityCheck
01-23-2012, 09:41 PM
When Aaron Ross fielded punts in the rain, he ran for a little and immediately went to the ground giving SF no chance for a fumble strip. He understood the situation at hand.

SF failed to do that and ultimately paid the price.

Good call and gameplant from ST coach and Tom Coughlin.

bflo23
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Blaming the player is ridiculous.

Win and lose as a team. The offense didn't exactly bail him out any.

That kind of weak crap is for fans looking for a scapegoat.

The 49er players interviewed after the game were all great, not one would even entertain blaming Williams. Everyone of them defended him. That's a real team.

I am not blaming the 49ers loss on him. I am just blaming the botched punt and the fumble on him. The team didn't "botch" the punt and had it go off their knee. However, Giants outplayed the 49ers and deserved to win though.

Blue_Buddha
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM

seriously!!!

when smith had the ball with under 2 minutes to go, i thought, jeez, with gore and a VD pass, they could be in FG range with no time left on the clock.

That is the problem with most ex-QBs being coaches . They try to relive their career through the QBs they coach. Kubiak did the same thing to end Houston playoff run. You see Garret making mistakes like this also.

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM

seriously!!!

That is the problem with most ex-QBs being coaches . They try to relive their career through the QBs they coach. Kubiak did the same thing to end Houston playoff run. You see Garret making mistakes like this also.

wow.

really good call. didn't even consider that.

and it explains having a 4.6 yd/carry RB in your back pocket when you haven't had more than 1 reception at WR and you don't call more than one run play in your last 3 possessions.

canadians have alot to learn about football.

damn.

Sarcasman
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM

seriously!!!

wow.

really good call. didn't even consider that.

and it explains having a 4.6 yd/carry RB in your back pocket when you haven't had more than 1 reception at WR and you don't call more than one run play in your last 3 possessions.

canadians have alot to learn about football.

damn.

If you were gonna re-live the career of someone wouldn't you pick someone who was good?

Why the hell would he want to relive his own crappy career? He sucked.

BlueSanta
01-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I agree.

Regarding he "off his leg" punt muff:Williams was too deep on that punt. It was perfectly fieldable, but he let it bounce. Thats a big no-no in the world of punt returning(unless your inside your own 10.) You do not let it hit the turf if you can help it. There are times when you cant help it, this was not 1 of them. That punt was fieldable.

Punt returners who get nice returns like Williams are crowd pleasers. But the primary function of punt returner is ball security. There is a reason the Giants won a SB with Phil Mckonkey as a punt returner. There is a reason won another SB with Rw McQuaters as a punt returner. Both those guys were not very good at actually returning punts. But they were 1st class at fielding punts and then securing it.

Harbaugh left a guy in at PR who had already shown he didnt make good descisions with regards to fielding punts and securing the ball.

Bohemian
01-24-2012, 01:07 AM
It is great to see people talking strategy. I have a brother who is a huge niners fan, he was a super athlete in his 20s and was involved in many big name sporting events at the college level. The day before the game he said something that really resonated with me, and it was that, at this point the coaches make a way bigger difference than the players on the field. Watching the game yesterday, it could not have been clearer.

I am a huge Eli fan, so when he asked about why I was so confident about the game when the niners had the lead going to the last quarter. I told him that he could not underestimate Manning's capacity to bring his team back. Like his hero (Joe Montana) did so many times, Manning has a never die attitude about him and his team, so if given a chance, he will take the game back for good.

What I did not know, was that Harbaugh would absolutely make sure that we did have a shot of taking the game over. It is one thing to be aggressive, but it is quite another to gamble be careless. In fact, both Harbaugh brothers seemed to make dumb decisions yesterday. On the one hand, Jim chose not to control the time of possession by running Gore 25+ times, and this I believe this was the second biggest strategic mistake. The biggest mistake that Jim Harbaugh made in the game was in simply giving the punt return responsibilities to a big eyed, awed and overwhelmed rookie. Kyle Williams made some nice returns, and put his team in some great field position for most of the game... but when it was all on the line, and uncertainty crept its head up, one needs composure and a safety-first approach... and by now, we all know the result of not having a clear headed veteran handling such situation. Regarding John Harbaugh's mistake on his game; it was simply in not getting his kicker ready, but unlike his younger and inexperienced brother, John did run his star running back 20 times to take over some control of his game.

All in all, I go back to my brother (the niners fan.. LOL!). He was completely on the dot when telling me about the difference between coaches and players in games like the one we saw.

Another part of the brotherly rivalry between him and I. He was not feeling well all day on Sunday, and he had to go to bed after the niners scored that third quarter go-ahead TD. I did not say anything, knowing that he was not well, but wondered whether or not he was overly confident on Manning's inability to win against his team. Well, I saw him today, and during breakfast he had the looked of shock in his eyes. "Your Giants won. I can't believe it!" He stated, "I went to bed thinking that it was in the bag" he added. I just replied by telling him that he should know better by now, as between the Giants and 49ers, no game is ever over until the last whistle sounds. Me and my brother have had a long standing rivalry as fans, and it was great to be able to beat him once again. But he was right about the importance of great coaching on big games, when the players' talent makes no significant difference in determining the outcome. Coughlin's experience and understanding of how to keep his team composed and prepared for the unexpected beat Harbaugh's tendency to look for the big play, and it was this tendency that cost him turn overs.

Go Blue!

calzonesays
01-24-2012, 01:11 AM

it was definitely a close call. AB has been pretty good with ball security ever since getting into TC's doghouse towards the end of last season for it..just need him to be careful with the rock in Indy.

and yes, the return games shows the coaches two different philosophies in the rain/poor field conditions.

harbaugh: aggressive, fielding the punts and trying to create a big return, not as careful with the ball.

coughlin: conservative, just field the punt and advance a few yards, fall down and don't allow SFs turnover creating defense to even get a chance to strip the ball or hit you hard.

Sarcasman
01-24-2012, 07:42 AM
It is great to see people talking strategy.* I have a brother who is a huge niners fan, he was a super athlete in his 20s and was involved in many big name sporting events at the college level.* The day before the game he said something that really resonated with me, and it was that, at this point the coaches make a way bigger difference than the players on the field.* Watching the game yesterday, it could not have been clearer.

I am a huge Eli fan, so when he asked about why I was so confident about the game when the niners had the lead going to the last quarter.* I told him that he could not underestimate Manning's capacity to bring his team back.* Like his hero (Joe Montana) did so many times, Manning has a never die attitude about him and his team, so if given a chance, he will take the game back for good.

What I did not know, was that Harbaugh would absolutely make sure that we did have a shot of taking the game over.* It is one thing to be aggressive, but it is quite another to gamble be careless.* In fact, both Harbaugh brothers seemed to make dumb decisions yesterday.* On the one hand, Jim chose not to control the time of possession by running Gore 25+ times, and this I believe this was the second biggest strategic mistake.* The biggest mistake that Jim Harbaugh made in the game was in simply giving the punt return responsibilities to a big eyed, awed and overwhelmed rookie.* Kyle Williams made some nice returns, and put his team in some great field position for most of the game... but when it was all on the line, and uncertainty crept its head up, one needs composure and a safety-first approach... and by now, we all know the result of not having a clear headed veteran handling such situation.* Regarding John Harbaugh's mistake on his game; it was simply in not getting his kicker ready, but unlike his younger and inexperienced brother, John did run his star running back 20 times to take over some control of his game.

All in all, I go back to my brother (the niners fan.. LOL!).* He was completely on the dot when telling me about the difference between coaches and players in games like the one we saw.

Another part of the brotherly rivalry between him and I.* He was not feeling well all day on Sunday, and he had to go to bed after the niners scored that third quarter go-ahead TD.* I did not say anything, knowing that he was not well, but wondered whether or not he was overly confident on Manning's inability to win against his team.* Well, I saw him today, and during breakfast he had the looked of shock in his eyes.* "Your Giants won.* I can't believe it!" He stated, "I went to bed thinking that it was in the bag" he added.* I just replied by telling him that he should know better by now, as between the Giants and 49ers, no game is ever over until the last whistle sounds.* Me and my brother have had a long standing rivalry as fans, and it was great to be able to beat him once again.* But he was right about the importance of great coaching on big games, when the players' talent makes no significant difference in determining the outcome.* Coughlin's experience and understanding of how to keep his team composed and prepared for the unexpected beat Harbaugh's tendency to look for the big play, and it was this tendency that cost him turn overs.

Go Blue!

This pretending that the 49ers would have won if only Williams hadn't played is complete nonsense.

How many years does one need to have in the league before he's allowed to return punts? Is the bar really all that high? Their regular returner is about as run of the mill as it gets so a talented young player is no good but a veteran journeyman who couldn't make it in the league in the position he was drafted is?

What a crock. Williams' isn't a rookie. The 49ers had plenty of opportunities to win the game, but they didn't. How that all of a sudden became WIlliam's fault is just excuse making.

ErnieReese
01-24-2012, 07:49 AM
made this point all day.

Absolutely right. Not trying to saying Harbaugh is a bad coach, obviously, but that mistake was on him. He's gotta know his players well enough. That's why when our KRs or PRs fail to field a punt of kick, they are usually benched.

nygsb42champs
01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Excellent point. It is little things like that that so why TC is such a good coach.

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
made this point all day.

Absolutely right. Not trying to saying Harbaugh is a bad coach, obviously, but that mistake was on him. He's gotta know his players well enough. That's why when our KRs or PRs fail to field a punt of kick, they are usually benched.First no one was complaining when the kid had a good return on us earlier.

The first one was on Williams for not staying away from a bad punt (their perspective), whether it was a dumb move by him (like our dodge) or he wasn't coached up.

The reason I think Ross was put in their, was because of blackmons screwed up fair catch that cost us a flag and a handful of yards.

swimeasy
01-24-2012, 09:07 AM

it was definitely a close call. AB has been pretty good with ball security ever since getting into TC's doghouse towards the end of last season for it..just need him to be careful with the rock in Indy.

and yes, the return games shows the coaches two different philosophies in the rain/poor field conditions.

harbaugh: aggressive, fielding the punts and trying to create a big return, not as careful with the ball.

coughlin: conservative, just field the punt and advance a few yards, fall down and don't allow SFs turnover creating defense to even get a chance to strip the ball or hit you hard.

To me the Bradshaw no fumble call was clearer than the Davis stepping out-of-bounds call. Bradshaw was being stood up and yanked back- he wasn't still going forward. It is ironic that a priority coaching caveat for their year was ball security and avoid turnovers even to the extent of losing yardage via taking sacks and this ultimately contributed so significantly to their loss.

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
great point

Harbaugh had plenty of warning to pull the guy ... he obviously lacked confidence and ability ... still J. Williams made the play by attacking the ball on the tackle

i don't ever remember any rival fan telling us that they only won b/c of good luck

GMENAGAIN
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
made this point all day. he had a guy in on ST that wasn't his regular starter, dove for a fair catch punt in the 1st half, then had one bounce off his leg. on the other side of the ball, after the bounce off on Williams, Coughlin switches to Aaron Ross and tells him to catch and secure the ball get your yards and go down before contact. in OT, WIlliams gets stripped on a pretty simple play. If Harbaugh wanted him to stay aggressive on his returns, then he wasn't paying attention to the conditions or situation, or he didn't trust is offense, or both. bottom line, our coach saw the danger and adjusted, there's gambled and lost. Don't blame the player for that, blame the coach. he had enough signs on the field already that he should have said something to him (assuming he didn't obviously).</P>

Excellent point</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
great point

Harbaugh had plenty of warning to pull the guy ... he obviously lacked confidence and ability ... still J. Williams made the play by attacking the ball on the tackle

i don't ever remember any rival fan telling us that they only won b/c of good luck

Harbaugh actually gave us acouple of openings to win that game.

He stopped running gore, not reduced his carries, he basically stopped running gore in the last 3 or 4 possessions in the game.

their defense had been really stingy in the 2nd half, but to have alex smith throw 3 times on a 3 and out with under 2 minutes to play only taking 18 seconds off the clock, if we march down the field on that possession the game is over.

does the same thing in overtime after their defense stops us on our first possession.

and of course he didn't seem to tell williams what his priorities should be on ST.

we didn't struggle stopping smith's passing game, we did struggle stopping gore, and he put the ball in smith's hands like this was a hollywood movie.

SF fans say we got lucky, i say we picked one of the opportunities Harbaugh served us on a silver platter in order to win the game.</P>

swimeasy
01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
great point

</p>

</p>

</p>

Harbaugh actually gave us acouple of openings to win that game.
</p>

He stopped running gore, not reduced his carries, he basically stopped running gore in the last 3 or 4 possessions in the game.
</p>

their defense had been really stingy in the 2nd half, but to have alex smith throw 3 times on a 3 and out with under 2 minutes to play only taking 18 seconds off the clock, if we march down the field on that possession the game is over.
</p>

does the same thing in overtime after their defense stops us on our first possession.
</p>

and of course he didn't seem to tell williams what his priorities should be on ST.
</p>

we didn't struggle stopping smith's passing game, we did struggle stopping gore, and he put the ball in smith's hands like this was a hollywood movie.
</p>

SF fans say we got lucky, i say we picked one of the opportunities Harbaugh served us on a silver platter in order to win the game.</p>

Agree totally. He took away Gore and gave it to Smith even though he couldn't buy a conversion on third downs.

Weren't we also "lucky" in the 2007 run as well? [;)]

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 09:56 AM
great point

Harbaugh had plenty of warning to pull the guy ... he obviously lacked confidence and ability ... still J. Williams made the play by attacking the ball on the tackle </P>

i don't ever remember any rival fan telling us that they only won b/c of good luck </P>

</P>

Harbaugh actually gave us acouple of openings to win that game. </P>

He stopped running gore, not reduced his carries, he basically stopped running gore in the last 3 or 4 possessions in the game. </P>

their defense had been really stingy in the 2nd half, but to have alex smith throw 3 times on a 3 and out with under 2 minutes to play only taking 18 seconds off the clock, if we march down the field on that possession the game is over. </P>

does the same thing in overtime after their defense stops us on our first possession. </P>

and of course he didn't seem to tell williams what his priorities should be on ST. </P>

we didn't struggle stopping smith's passing game, we did struggle stopping gore, and he put the ball in smith's hands like this was a hollywood movie. </P>

SF fans say we got lucky, i say we picked one of the opportunities Harbaugh served us on a silver platter in order to win the game.</P>

Agree totally. He took away Gore and gave it to Smith even though he couldn't buy a conversion on third downs.

Weren't we also "lucky" in the 2007 run as well? [;)]
</P>

other than blow-out SBs, every winner is 'lucky'.</P>

they can call it whatever they like, as long as we win, no one will be talking about 'lucky' in 5 years.</P>

bansaw
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
saw someone bring up RW McFaircatch. god I hated him on PR but he really never had any gaffs that stand out to me

also it was like Harbaugh out coached himself. did you see him gasping for air at times? I did ... he'll do better if he gets another shot, that game was too big for him, overwhelmed

bansaw
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
they can call it whatever they like, as long as we win, no one will be talking about 'lucky' in 5 years.</p>all I ever see is people saying we were lucky in 42 ... lucky Asante didnt get the INT, lucky catch yada yada

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
they can call it whatever they like, as long as we win, no one will be talking about 'lucky' in 5 years.</P>

all I ever see is people saying we were lucky in 42 ... lucky Asante didnt get the INT, lucky catch yada yada
</P>

its only be 4 years! i said it takes 5 !</P>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
they can call it whatever they like, as long as we win, no one will be talking about 'lucky' in 5 years.</p>all I ever see is people saying we were lucky in 42 ... lucky Asante didnt get the INT, lucky catch yada yada
There was a play earlier in that game that broke lucky for the pats, but no one remembers or brings it up.

bansaw
01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
they can call it whatever they like, as long as we win, no one will be talking about 'lucky' in 5 years.</p>

all I ever see is people saying we were lucky in 42 ... lucky Asante didnt get the INT, lucky catch yada yada
</p>

its only be 4 years! i said it takes 5 !</p>touche

saw this on another board, kinda fits and is pretty lol

Yeah, it's sour grapes. I'll admit it. Can you blame me?
We were the first and only team to go 16-0 in the regular season. We went 17-0. We went 18-0.
And
we didn't just barely do it... we did it in spectacular fashion. We
were hailed as the greatest football team in the history of the NFL. We
shattered just about every offensive record their was to break. We took
spiteful allegations of cheating and rammed it ruthlessly down everyones
throats.
We were absolutely unstoppable. We were going to force the
entire world to say that we were the indisputable greatest football team
that ever existed.

And you took it all away from us with quite
easily the biggest bunch of lucky BS i've ever seen in my entire life.
You didn't deserve to win that Superbowl - we did. We were supposed to
go 19-0 and that was the way it was supposed to happen. You have no idea
how emotionally devastating that loss was to us...

I'm sure
you're laughing about this post so far. That's fine. I'm not afraid to
be honest. You know who the New England Patriots are and so I have no
reason to be insecure about my football team.

I really don't even
want to "talk smack" to you. I did it with the Broncos. I did it with
the Ravens. I don't even want to with you. It's honestly beyond tha

I just want to be honest.

I want to break your hearts.

I don't even want a competitive, entertaining Superbowl that goes down as an epic rematch.

I hope it's a blow out. I hope everything that can go wrong for you does go wrong for you.
I
hope the Patriots sideline celebration can begin by the start of the
3rd quarter. I hope you have to play 30 minutes of football looking at
the scoreboard and already knowing you lost. I hope by the 4th you don't
even want to watch it anymore.

I hope we humiliate you. I hope we break your hearts. I hope we make you hate football on Superbowl Sunday.

I
don't want to go into why you beat us this season. I don't want to
dwell on the fact that Brady was injured, or that we were playing 3rd
and 4th string players, or that Sergio Brown had no business playing
cornerback and handed you the game with the PI in the endzone.

I know that isn't the Patriots you'll be playing in two weeks and so do you.

I
just want to embarrass you. I want you to have reason to hate us in
ways you cannot even fathom right now. I want to destroy you so badly
that the NFL agrees that you didn't even deserve to be there - that Kyle
Williams handed an inferior team a trip to the Superbowl.

I want to crush your spirits.

I don't normally invest a lot of emotion in any NFC teams, positive or negative, but I hate the Giants. I'll never forgive them.

I hope we break your hearts.

bansaw
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
oh lord it was copy pasted from the smack talk forum...LOOOOOL

what a loser lol

GMen869007
01-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I always love the argument that such and such a team would win if not for such and such a player. It is a TEAM! That's like saying the Patriots wouldn't have won if not for Tom Brady.

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM

i would define lucky as Lee Evans dropping a TD and Billy Cundiff missing a 31 yard FG ... when Asante Samuel isn't able to jump high enough for an INT=not lucky and Tyree was wide open

freeoscar
01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
its just mind boggling that Patriots fans can't appreciate that they've had their fair share of lucky breaks in big games over the years. As have the giants. Including both teams this past weekend. And we've had some tough breaks too. Its called football.

JJC7301
01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
I made the point that for some reason on the last 3 49er possessions, Harbaugh abandoned the run. Watching the game, the biggest thing i feared was Gore running on the last 3 series. Having Smith try to be TOm Brady was non sense. seriously!!! 3 passing plays that chews up 18 seconds at the end of the game? when smith had the ball with under 2 minutes to go, i thought, jeez, with gore and a VD pass, they could be in FG range with no time left on the clock. and then 3 passing plays? not alot of focus on Harbaugh in this loss at all.</P>

I couldn't agree more. I turned to my friend during the game and said, "Wow, they only took 18 seconds off the clock." They should have stuck with their bread and butter, the run.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I made the point that for some reason on the last 3 49er possessions, Harbaugh abandoned the run. Watching the game, the biggest thing i feared was Gore running on the last 3 series. Having Smith try to be TOm Brady was non sense. seriously!!! 3 passing plays that chews up 18 seconds at the end of the game? when smith had the ball with under 2 minutes to go, i thought, jeez, with gore and a VD pass, they could be in FG range with no time left on the clock. and then 3 passing plays? not alot of focus on Harbaugh in this loss at all.</P>

I couldn't agree more. I turned to my friend during the game and said, "Wow, they only took 18 seconds off the clock." They should have stuck with their bread and butter, the run.</P>

</P>

we couldn't stop gore, or any of their RBs for that matter, and they had one 3 yard reception by a WR all game.</P>

how do you not run gore? i was on the edge of my seat thinking "they're gonna pound this down our throats and we can't put 8 on the line this late in the game", and then i was staring at the screen amazed and literallysaid out loudthey wanted to make the highlight reel more than win the game.</P>

Gianthunter
01-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Harbaughs error was not employing tactics ala Coughlin instead turning to the kill-shot.

Markroman
01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Fox made a whole thing about how "Harbaugh saved Smith"...I think Harbaugh wanted to Smith to win the game more than the 49ers.

I disliked Harbaugh the day I saw him act like an idiot with the Detroit coach. Classless punk. He was equally classless as Qb with Bears and Colts.

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Great points about the handling of the ST and their running attack (or lack thereof) at the end of regulation.

Hadn't considered that but you're right ... Harbaugh basically out coached himself. However I think it's understandable given that he's a rookie NFL Head Coach and that team being dog crap for so long.

EliTE
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
when i rewatched the game, i realized that williams also fumble the ball on that lame double reverse play they tried to run early in the game, the one where osi fell right on the ball but somehow didn't recover.

after that and him diving for the other punt to catch it, harbaugh should have benched him right there.

so i agree this is completely on harbaugh. he probably knew it was a risk but weighed the risk vs reward as far as the possibility of him breaking off a big return vs him muffing a punt and decided it was worth the risk.

so yes, harbaugh deserves all of the blame. as a coach if you see a player fumble it, dive for a punt, let a ball bounce off his knee, at that point you have to bench him and play it safe, instead he left him in there and we all know what happened.

i'm not complaining though lol.

pino
01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Dude I agree with you 100%. I've been telling Niner fans here. We seen this kid struggling all game (remember when he dove for one). Why didn't Harbaugh tell him to fair catch the ball? In sudden death, that seems like the smart thing to do, especially when they had decent field position. I swear I had a feeling he was going to make another mistake somewhere in the game.

Oh well, sucks to be them.