PDA

View Full Version : O'Hara & Tiki Discuss Eli

JLee2911
01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I couldn't find a direct link for the video but if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can watch the video. Let me preface this post with the fact that I believe Tiki to be one of the all time great Giants RB's. With that said, I don't think he's that great of a person and I think that's evident in how a lot of his former teammates view him. So while I'll always respect and appreciate Tiki for what he did on the field, I don't care to follow him off the field now that he's retired.

From the video I particularly like how O'Hara puts Tiki on the spot with regards to his comments on Eli.
<a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1">
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1</a>

TrueBlue10
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
let's see here ... video is not loading ??

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
"Eli would make a exponential jump from year to year in his development........"

that's not what you said when you retired Tiki.

what a piece of work.

Drez
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
"Eli would make a exponential jump from year to year in his development........" that's not what you said when you retired Tiki. what a piece of work.</P>

Work isn't quite the word I'd use to finish off that sentence, lol.</P>

repeatchamps
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
I couldn't find a direct link for the video but if you scroll to the bottom of the page you can watch the video. Let me preface this post with the fact that I believe Tiki to be one of the all time great Giants RB's. With that said, I don't think he's that great of a person and I think that's evident in how a lot of his former teammates view him. So while I'll always respect and appreciate Tiki for what he did on the field, I don't care to follow him off the field now that he's retired.

From the video I particularly like how O'Hara puts Tiki on the spot with regards to his comments on Eli.
<A href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1">
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1</A>
</P>

Lupica's comment about Bradshaw makes me want to vomit. It was "clear he hadn't been stopped" before that fumble, it was clear his forward progress wasn't stopped. Really, Mike,really? Clear? Really?</P>

GmenFan1980
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM
"The 49ers got a terrible whistle, when it was clear Bradshaw hadnít been stopped"

pretty sure Bradshaw was moving backwards, but whatever you say lol

JLee2911
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM

<a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1">
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1</a>
</p>

Lupica's comment about Bradshaw makes me want to vomit. It was "clear he hadn't been stopped" before that fumble, it was clear his forward progress wasn't stopped. Really, Mike,really? Clear? Really?</p>

yea, he was only being moved backwards and practically sitting on the defender. I thought it was a close call for sure, but to see definitively was a bad/good call is just silly.

repeatchamps
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM

<A href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1">
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-heading-super-bowl-xlvi-play-tom-brady-patriots-magic-team-beat-england-super-bowl-xlii-article-1.1010269?pgno=1</A>
</P>

Lupica's comment about Bradshaw makes me want to vomit. It was "clear he hadn't been stopped" before that fumble, it was clear his forward progress wasn't stopped. Really, Mike,really? Clear? Really?</P>

yea, he was only being moved backwards and practically sitting on the defender. I thought it was a close call for sure, but to see definitively was a bad/good call is just silly.
</P>

It is typical Lupica. He hates the Giants always has.</P>

JLee2911
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
"Eli would make a exponential jump from year to year in his development........"

what a piece of work.

he's trying to save face at this point, which i understand. but be a man and stand behind what you said. i would have a ton more respect for tiki if he came out and said...you know what i criticized Eli because at the time that's how i felt. Clearly, he has proved me wrong. he's what the Giants thought he was and much more. I was wrong.

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM

what a piece of work.

he's trying to save face at this point, which i understand. but be a man and stand behind what you said. i would have a ton more respect for tiki if he came out and said...you know what i criticized Eli because at the time that's how i felt. Clearly, he has proved me wrong. he's what the Giants thought he was and much more. I was wrong.

i would SO be off his posterior if he would just say that.

the fact he doesn't speaks to his character.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM

what a piece of work.

umm when did tiki say eli wasnt good? i think a lot of it is made up in fans minds. he said many times he believed in eli. only that his first speech was comical because eli was young and akward.

tiki had an issue with TC treating vets like kids and later tc realized he was being too harsh on players . (had a history of it in jacksonville)

NYGRealityCheck
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Tiki: Gosh darn it, another NYG SB game I missed out on...

CDN_G-FAN
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM

what a piece of work.

umm when did tiki say eli wasnt good?** i think a lot of it is made up in fans minds.* he said many times he believed in eli. only that his first speech was comical because eli was young and akward.

tiki had an issue with TC treating vets like kids and later tc realized he was being too harsh on players . (had a history of it in jacksonville)

if we're going to play semantics, then i stand by my post.

he didn't say that eli was making exponential improvements each year when he retired.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:07 PM

what a piece of work.

umm when did tiki say eli wasnt good? i think a lot of it is made up in fans minds. he said many times he believed in eli. only that his first speech was comical because eli was young and akward.

he didn't say that eli was making exponential improvements each year when he retired.

true but he didnt say that Eli didnt make improvments by the year , either.
its no sematics its facts and fans use their perception of what they think Tiki meant rather than his direct quotes.

fact is fans got all hurt that Tiki wanted to retire and are still holding that grudge.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:07 PM

what a piece of work.

true but he didnt say that Eli didnt make improvments by the year , either.
its no semantics its facts and fans use their perception of what they think Tiki meant rather than his direct quotes.

fact is fans got all hurt that Tiki wanted to retire and are still holding that grudge.

yoeddy
01-23-2012, 10:10 PM

</P>

Lupica's comment about Bradshaw makes me want to vomit. It was "clear he hadn't been stopped" before that fumble, it was clear his forward progress wasn't stopped. Really, Mike,*really? Clear? Really?</P>

The thing is...it's not like there was a fumble and then the refs decided that forward progress had been stopped. Rather, the whistle definitely blew just as the ball was being ripped out...so the ref had already determined that forward progress had been stopped.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I personally think that Tiki not liking Eli was totally fabricated. In fact you cant even give me one quote (real quote) besides him saying Elis first speech was comical. I think it shows that fans wanted to hate tiki for retiring early and just had this agenda.

JJC7301
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM

what a piece of work.

i would SO be off his posterior if he would just say that.

the fact he doesn't speaks to his character.
Didn't it sound like that's what Tiki was saying? Even said that he himself was a veteran player looking for his last hurrah, and it was hard for him to see Eli doing that at the time.

Personally, I think Tiki's an ***, but he's eaten his crow. As an opinionist, you're supposed to give an opinion and quite frankly, he was saying what a lot of Giants were thinking about Tiki AND Coughlin at that time.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Didn't it sound like that's what Tiki was saying? Even said that he himself was a veteran player looking for his last hurrah, and it was hard for him to see Eli doing that at the time.

Personally, I think Tiki's an ***, but he's eaten his crow. As an opinionist, you're supposed to give an opinion and quite frankly, he was saying what a lot of Giants were thinking about Tiki AND Coughlin at that time.

i take it you meant eli and tc. i agree with you. dont like him thats fine, but i have a problem with fans that made up things to make Tiki seem like this giant hating guy.

now you will find some of the same things tiki said about eli and tc in Strahans book!!!!
but yet you dont hear fans hating mike do you?

whats the difference , the difference is Fans want to hate tiki for retiring "too early" in their opinion.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I personally think that Tiki not liking Eli was totally fabricated.* In fact you cant even give me one quote (real quote) besides him saying Elis first speech was comical. I think it shows that fans wanted to hate tiki for retiring early and just had this agenda.

WTF R U SPEWING? did u NOT see tiki on NBC Football Night in America or whatever show it was on that led up to the NBC sunday night games? during that WHOLE SEASON, tiki always "had the inside scoop" on why the giants were struggling, what eli wasnt doing, etc. etc. He FULL OUT CALLED OUT ELI.

listen, we all know how eli is about as even keeled a person there is. do u think eli would make the comment he made about tiki's remarks if tiki hadnt said something about him? fact is, tiki called eli's leadership comical. fact is, tiki called out eli's play ON SEVERAL occassions. FACT IS, TIKI USED THE STRUGGLES THE GIANTS HAD IN 07 AS A MEANS TO PROP UP HIS CAREER.

to say tiki "never called out eli" and there were never "real quotes" is patently false and absurd. cmon now man. some love tiki, some dont. u dont need to lie to try and dissuade peoples opinions.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
I personally think that Tiki not liking Eli was totally fabricated. In fact you cant even give me one quote (real quote) besides him saying Elis first speech was comical. I think it shows that fans wanted to hate tiki for retiring early and just had this agenda.

WTF R U SPEWING? did u NOT see tiki on NBC Football Night in America or whatever show it was on that led up to the NBC sunday night games? during that WHOLE SEASON, tiki always "had the inside scoop" on why the giants were struggling, what eli wasnt doing, etc. etc. He FULL OUT CALLED OUT ELI.

listen, we all know how eli is about as even keeled a person there is. do u think eli would make the comment he made about tiki's remarks if tiki hadnt said something about him? fact is, tiki called eli's leadership comical. fact is, tiki called out eli's play ON SEVERAL occassions. FACT IS, TIKI USED THE STRUGGLES THE GIANTS HAD IN 07 AS A MEANS TO PROP UP HIS CAREER.

to say tiki "never called out eli" and there were never "real quotes" is patently false and absurd. cmon now man. some love tiki, some dont. u dont need to lie to try and dissuade peoples opinions.

then get me a quote , get the quote where tiki said eli will never be good? we will see who is lying and fabricating things for their agenda to hate him.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM

i take it you meant eli and tc.* i agree with you. dont like him thats fine, but i have a problem with fans that made up things to make Tiki seem like this giant hating guy.*

now you will find some of the same things tiki said about eli and tc in Strahans book!!!!

whats the difference , the difference is Fans want to hate tiki for retiring "too early" in their opinion.

well maybe we were too hard for tiki announcing he was retiring mid season. i mean elway did it, strahan did it, montana did it, rice did it...oh wait, no, the greats DONT CAUSE FURTHER DISTRACTIONS FOR THEIR TEAM.

whose to say that had tiki not made that announcement, and not caused that media circus in the giants locker room, the giants wouldnt have won the super bowl a year earlier?

u can love tiki. i can respect that. but CMON, ur trying to make tiki to be this villainized person when truth is, everything that has happened to tiki was his own doing.

giantsfan420
01-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I personally think that Tiki not liking Eli was totally fabricated.* In fact you cant even give me one quote (real quote) besides him saying Elis first speech was comical. I think it shows that fans wanted to hate tiki for retiring early and just had this agenda.

then get me a quote , get the quote where tiki said eli will never be good?* we will see who is lying and fabricating things for their agenda to hate him.

lol. HAS ANYONE SAID TIKI SAID ELI WOULDNT BE GOOD???

im not even saying that some of the things tiki said were even wrong. BUT, he was a giant. he was in the locker room. the things he said and used to prop up his career were privallaged, private things THAT STAY IN HOUSE.

how many times do we hear players say, keep issues in house? just bc tiki quit on the giants doesnt mean he gets to quit on the honor the players base the team on: TRUST. tiki completely abused his positoin on the giants by making in house issues public, and then calling out coughlin and eli. DID TIKI SAY THAT IN THE HUDDLE ELI WAS COMICAL? DID TIKI SAY THAT THE WAY ELI LED WAS COMICAL? yes, he did. to say otherwise is a fabrication.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
well maybe we were too hard for tiki announcing he was retiring mid season. i mean elway did it, strahan did it, montana did it, rice did it...oh wait, no, the greats DONT CAUSE FURTHER DISTRACTIONS FOR THEIR TEAM.

whose to say that had tiki not made that announcement, and not caused that media circus in the giants locker room, the giants wouldnt have won the super bowl a year earlier?

u can love tiki. i can respect that. but CMON, ur trying to make tiki to be this villainized person when truth is, everything that has happened to tiki was his own doing.

i do agree that Tiki said some things about TC he should have kept to himself. i aslo think that what he said got repeated over and over and over and made it seem as if tiki said these things all the time. i truly believe that Fans held a big grudge for retiring.

heck even Reese called Eli skittish. it is what it was and eli is now better off for being called out. but at its core Tiki didnt lay into Eli and he never said some of the lies being spread about giant fans.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
whats wrong with us? last night we are toasting to one more game, and now fighting over tiki barber. lol such drama here.

JJC7301
01-23-2012, 10:40 PM

i take it you meant eli and tc.* i agree with you. dont like him thats fine, but i have a problem with fans that made up things to make Tiki seem like this giant hating guy.*

No, I am not at all trying to make Tiki out to be villainized -- he made his own bed.

My only point is that he opined what a lot of Giants at that time were thinking about when it came to both Eli and TC. He's been proven to be wrong, as were the other players; he missed out on a SB by 1 year; he looks like an ***, and I think he's been trying to make amends.

He's an ***, but he's our ***. He's been choking on the crow (rightfully so), so I wouldn't mind seeing the boot lifted from his throat. I'd like to see him to be able to be introduced at Giants stadium one day, after having eaten crow for years, and get some well earned applause, after getting his well earned boos over the past few years.

JLee2911
01-23-2012, 10:44 PM

what a piece of work.

umm when did tiki say eli wasnt good?** i think a lot of it is made up in fans minds.* he said many times he believed in eli. only that his first speech was comical because eli was young and akward.

true but he didnt say that Eli didnt make improvments by the year , either.*
its no semantics its facts and* fans use their perception of what they think Tiki meant rather than his direct quotes.

fact is fans got all hurt that Tiki wanted to retire and are still holding that grudge.*

Yes, it is semantics. Clearly your love for Tiki is well documented on these forums. And that's fine, but don't be naive. The barber brothers went on their Sirius radio show an basically mocked Eli for 2 hours. Tiki might not have flat out said Eli sucks but the implication was/is evident to everyone except for you. Someone who you see improving exponentially every year is not someone you bash and/or mock.

Bottom line is this: Tiki spoke his mind...right or wrong...and it was not well received by former teammates, the organization, or fans. BUT he had every right to say what he said if he felt that way. But IMO he was wrong and has been proving wrong. Admit to it, don't dance around it like your words were taken out of context.

TrueBlue10
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
<font size="5">:::THE FACTS:::</font>
~according to TrueBlue10~

-Tiki thought he was bigger than the Giants when he retired. And, though he was wrong, he was somewhere in the vicinity of right.

-Tiki thought the Giants would crash and burn without him and he would accentuate that/propel his new career by betting against them in the offseason and pouring fuel on the fire of criticizing Eli. A seeming win-win for Teeks!

-Oops! Eli and the rest of the team was not only able to win without him, but brought home a Lombardi trophy.

-Instead of immediately admitting he was mistaken, Tiki kept digging his hole deeper and deeper and instead of saving his career it kept ruining his credibility.

-Tiki has not done anything to make up for that, however, at least according to the video linked in this thread, I didn't see anything really bad from Tiki. Sure, he wasn't as glowing as some of the others, and some of those compliments were just mildly backhanded BUT... it really wasn't that bad. I bet in 5 or 10 more years Tiki will be back in the Giants' family.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 11:02 PM
<span class="newsText">"I am looking forward to providing my insights
for SNY's Big Blue Live post game show. Hopefully it will be after a
Giants win as they continue on the road to Indianapolis and the Super
Bowl," said Tiki Barber.

fans its time to let your resentment go. no one loved the old Mara and tisch like Tiki he gave 10 years of giant only service. sure he didnt get on with TC but back then few players did.

ps- I am very excited about Tiki Bears new career.
</span>

yatitle
01-23-2012, 11:16 PM
whats wrong with us?* last night we are toasting to one more game, and now fighting over tiki barber.* lol* such drama here.

Nobody would be talking about Tiki Barber if Tiki Barber hadn't said anything about Eli. Harooni you're the best. Yep its the fans fabricating quotes by Tiki about Eli. Given how tight both TC and Eli seem to be with Tiki it must be fans making a mountain out of a molehill.

Good to see Tiki back in the media. I'm sure SNY is just a temporary gig until he takes over for Matt Lauer on the Today show. If nothing else it will help pay for his alimony and child support payments.

Harooni
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
whats wrong with us? last night we are toasting to one more game, and now fighting over tiki barber. lol such drama here.

Nobody would be talking about Tiki Barber if Tiki Barber hadn't said anything about Eli. Harooni you're the best. Yep its the fans fabricating quotes by Tiki about Eli. Given how tight both TC and Eli seem to be with Tiki it must be fans making a mountain out of a molehill.

Good to see Tiki back in the media. I'm sure SNY is just a temporary gig until he takes over for Matt Lauer on the Today show. If nothing else it will help pay for his alimony and child support payments.

you are proving that fans are holding an old grudge, and yes a lot of it was exaggerated.

and im sure Tiki will be fine driving his aston martin with his young blonde in the front seat. He has a nice new job and im glad his luck is turning.

radar-ray
01-23-2012, 11:30 PM
whats wrong with us?* last night we are toasting to one more game, and now fighting over tiki barber.* lol* such drama here.

Good to see Tiki back in the media. I'm sure SNY is just a temporary gig until he takes over for Matt Lauer on the Today show. If nothing else it will help pay for his alimony and child support payments.Who's Tiki? Great player on the field, and a great POS off.

pj18
01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
That was great hearing O'hara call him out.

GMen869007
01-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Did you notice how he still knocks Eli's leadership style? "A lot of people will complain about how he carries himself.....he gets down" "His leadership style doesn't matter, he continues to play, he steps up"

To me, from the outside, the team seems to respect his leadership ability.

IAmTheFly
01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
He's a voice in the wilderness. He has no credibility. I echo the OP as far as I also love what he was capable of on the field. But he lost me as well as most people with his selfish little retirement tour when the Giants needed to be focusing on winning games and he was more concerned with auditioning for his 2nd career.

When we lost that WC game against the Redskins, I nearly vomited at the way he was handshaking, ***-slapping, and helping Redskins off the grass. I had never seen that in the NFC East. As soon as the gun was fired he had his helmet off and he was on the opposing sideline all smiles "way to go guys".

He could have been a historic Giant with his talent and the things he did. He isn't. No way he walks alongside the great Giants. You are true blue or you aren't and he has been taking shots since he left. I'll never respect that guy.