PDA

View Full Version : Think about this. We beat the number 1 Offense and #1 defense back to back.

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Not only were they number 1 in their respective categories, but they were also the number 1 and 2 seeded teams.

Not to shabby, when the team is healthy.

buddy33
01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
True, and it is good to know they where able to shut down a great offense like they did. They will face another very good offense in the Super Bowl but will not have to face a defense like they just did.

However, I'm sure they will try their hardest to work on it before the game so the Giants better not take it easy. Finish!

bigjeep
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Not only were they number 1 in their respective categories, but they were also the number 1 and 2 seeded teams. Not to shabby, when the team is healthy.</P>

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive! [:D]</P>

GameTime
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Not only were they number 1 in their respective categories, but they were also the number 1 and 2 seeded teams. Not to shabby, when the team is healthy.</P>

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive! [:D]</P>

</P>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

PatsFanNH
01-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Not only were they number 1 in their respective categories, but they were also the number 1 and 2 seeded teams. Not to shabby, when the team is healthy.</p>

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive! [:D]</p>

</p>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</p>

</p>

Also the #1 offense had a lot of DROPS so that helped the Giants a lot.... But BOTH SB contenders had their breaks.. (a kicker missing everything including the NET lol for the Pats comes to mind lol)
</p>

</p>

</p>

CTLadyBlue
01-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought the Saints had the No 1 offense? If so, then we beat the team which had the No 1 defense which had previously beaten the No 1 offense.

Still, that means squat. We barely won Sunday because of that defense. But the fact we hung in there and made a D which specializes in takeaways give the ball up was a testament to our resiliancy. I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty win. It was ugly. It was painful. It was muddy, rainy and dirty. But....in the end....someone had to win and we pulled it out.

I take nothing away from the Pats. They're a solid, ,well balanced team. However, I would not consider them a 'powerhouse' or 'dominant'. Talented, cohesive, smart and experienced -yes, all the way around. But we just scratched and clawed our way to the Superbowl by beating the defending champs and THE best D in the league whereas the Pats could've easily, hands down lost to the Ravens. Even Brady said after the game that it wasn't his best play. And Brady does not play his best when he doesn't have time and only a solid defense can screw up a QB/Receiver's timing (ahem, Rodgers)

We need to go into this Superbowl as if it were WW3. No mercy. A dog fight, just like Tuck said. We have to show everyone that we're not a fluke and just a product of 'peaking' at the right time while high-powered teams like the Pack and Saints may have been 'losing steam' or 'getting rusty'

buddy33
01-24-2012, 10:15 AM

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive!* [:D]</P>

</P>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble* on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</P>

*</P>

*</P>

*</P>

The offense also scored 2 TD's in the redzone against the best redzone defense.

The Giants defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays.

Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say they would have lost.

buddy33
01-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Not only were they number 1 in their respective categories, but they were also the number 1 and 2 seeded teams. Not to shabby, when the team is healthy.</p>

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive!* [:D]</p>

</p>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble* on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</p>

*</p>

Also the #1 offense had a lot of DROPS so that helped the Giants a lot.... But BOTH SB contenders had their breaks.. (a kicker missing everything including the NET lol for the Pats comes to mind lol)
</p>

*</p>

*</p>

Those drops didn't help Green Bay but they where beat in that game from the start. Everyone talks about the drops, but no one likes to bring up the drop Ballard had in the endzone. How about the fumble that wasn't? How about the personal foul called on Osi? What about when Ware ran for a 1st down on 3rd and 1 but the refs spotted the ball well behind where the ball was downed? What about the no helmet to helmet call on Eli?

Not all those drops where big plays and at least one was due to a hard hit. The Giants won that game.

Morehead State
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM

</P>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

The offense also scored 2 TD's in the red one against the best redzone defense. The Giants defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays. Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say thh would have lost.</P>

We beat the Nineres in every measurable. Yards, first downs, tunovers. third down conversions, time of possession and of course...points. There is essentially no phase of the game where we weren't better than them.</P>

I'm not apologizing for our glorious victory like some of you guys seem to be.</P>

Down-lifer
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
That is amazing. The Giants aren't getting enough credit for their playoff run.

GameTime
01-24-2012, 10:28 AM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#ffff00></FONT></P>

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">The offense also scored 2 TD's in the redzone against the best redzone defense. The Giants </FONT><FONT color=#000000><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00" size=4>defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays</FONT>.</FONT></FONT> Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say thh would have lost.</P>

You cant speculate on anything that "didnt" happen. That goes without saying. Like I said take nothing away from the Giants and I am in a state of ephoria that they are in the SB but I dont look at it like the Giants offense beat the #1 defense. That just isn't an entirely true statment. There are other factors. </P>

The Giants defense shut down the Niners offesnse with exception of two plays THAT scored 14 points and 150 yards of rushing to boot. Thats two scoring plays not "just" two big plays. </P>

My intent is not to argue the win I just dont want to lose sight of the whole picture of how and why the game was won. </P>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive!* [:D]</P>

</P>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble* on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</P>

*</P>

*</P>

*</P>What about Osis non-fumble recovery? We can play this game till we turn blue.

1st muff punt was on either the player and/or coach.

2nd fumble was a player making a play.

We made the plays, they did not. You have probably most of the stats. 49ers had nothing going on offense for 3 1/2 quarters.

Luck always has something to do with it. The refs called the non-fumble correctly, but I was worried because of bad luck we would get screwed. But for us it wasn't luck to have that call, but if the 49ers got that call, it would have been lucky.

But in general I believe if you are good/great at what you do, you get the breaks (as in coaching) Remember for 2-3 years if I recall we were near tops in + turnovers and i recall them showing them working on those drills in practice in years past.

LT_was_good
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM

True, had to stop the #1 offense and the next week the #1 defense. [Y] Pretty Impressive! [:D]</p>

</p>

the #1 defense kicked the Giants asses mostly. A botched punt and forced fumble on STs were huge and directly responsible for the win. I take nothing away from the Giants at all but you cant rest sundays victory on the Giants offense actually beating the Niners defense straight up....</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

The offense also scored 2 TD's in the red one against the best redzone defense. The Giants defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays. Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say thh would have lost.</p>

We beat the Nineres in every measurable. Yards, first downs, tunovers. third down conversions, time of possession and of course...points. There is essentially no phase of the game where we weren't better than them.</p>

I'm not apologizing for our glorious victory like some of you guys seem to be.</p>

AMEN!

Morehead State
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM

</P>

</P>

The offense also scored 2 TD's in the redzone against the best redzone defense. The Giants <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000080" color=#ffffff size=4>defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays</FONT>. Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say thh would have lost.</P>

You cant speculate on anything that "didnt" happen. That goes without saying. Like I said take nothing away from the Giants and I am in a state of ephoria that they are in the SB but I dont look at it like the Giants offense beat the #1 defense. That just isn't an entirely true statment. There are other factors. </P>

The Giants defense shut down the Niners offesnse with exception of two plays THAT scored 14 points and 150 yards of rushing to boot. Thats two scoring plays not "just" two big plays. </P>

My intent is not to argue the win I just dont want to lose sight of the whole picture of how and why the game was won. </P>

</P>

First of all that rushing stat is skewed by the fact that 42 yards of Smith scrambles pad that stat. Secondly we won the game because we played better than they did, in their stadium. It was us who didn't turn the ball over despite tough field and weather conditions. It was us who had more yards and far greater time of possession.</P>

Again, you seem to be complaining about "the way we won the game". I'm telling you that we won the game because we played better than they did.</P>

We were simply the better team on that field on Sunday. Any other outcome would have been a travesty. I really don't get your point here.</P>

ghwriter1976
01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
The Divisional Playoffs and the Conference Championship were two of the most complete games I've seen from these guys all year. We had the special teams making plays, getting us in good field position, causing turnovers and covering onside kicks. The offense took advantage of the field position and scored points off turnovers, and the defense kept the opposing scores low.

I couldn't be prouder of what this team has done this year and how they held together after the 4-game losing streak. To borrow from LadyBlue's avatar, we're literally playing with house money and the whole team knows it. They're loose, they're relaxed, they're laughing, they're joking (Even Coughlin is joking around with the press!) and they all have the mindset of "We're not supposed to be here, so let's shock them while we're here."

I just hope the veterans on the team paid attention to Coughlin's words on Sunday night and they're prepping the younger players not to get too caught up in the "happy to be here" feeling.

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
That is amazing. The Giants aren't getting enough credit for their playoff run.Are you surprised? I mean even when our own fans do not. I heard on the radio, people saying oh year if they didn't screw up the punts, or that abs non-fumble was a fumble. Some of them are just lemmings, and brainless.

No one mentioned all the non-calls, or OSI that didn't not recover a fumble because of the wet ground. Works both ways.

We were prepared, and made plays, they did not, and it was the ST at the end of the day that killed them. But i can say i felt very comfortable even if they didn't fumble. What offense did they have? 1 wr caught a pass for 3 yards? I think Smiths last 6-8 passes (plays) he gained -7 yards total if i heard correctly. Tell me how that offense was going to win it? Only by the defense or STs.

PatsFanNH
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
@buddy33

Umm I could be wrong but I thought the Ravens had the #1 Red Zone Defense? But hey doesnt matter how ya get to the SB as long as you get there.

GameTime
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

</P>

</P>

The offense also scored 2 TD's in the redzone against the best redzone defense. The Giants <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000080" color=#ffffff size=4>defense also shut down the 49ers offense with the exception of 2 plays</FONT>. Those special teams turn overs helped but we can not say that is the only reason they won the game. If they don't happen you can not say thh would have lost.</P>

</P>

First of all that rushing stat is skewed by the fact that 42 yards of Smith scrambles pad that stat. Secondly we won the game because we played better than they did, in their stadium. It was us who didn't turn the ball over despite tough field and weather conditions. It was us who had more yards and far greater time of possession.</P>

Again, you seem to be complaining about "the way we won the game". I'm telling you that we won the game because we played better than they did.</P>

We were simply the better team on that field on Sunday. Any other outcome would have been a travesty. I really don't get your point here.</P>

</P>

I knew this **** would happen. Come on man. I post on here all the time amd I ever a "Giants suck" kind of poster?? I don think I ever am and I dont think I am being that way now. I am not complaining about anything at all. I just like to look at the game with what took place. The Giants didnt turn the ball over and they took advantage of the turnovers they got. Eli got hammered all game and still didn throw a pick with 58 attempts in the rainwhich was freaking awesome!!!!!The defense held up mostly and kept the Niners in check.</P>

BTW....when a QB runs those are legit yards and I never take them away from rushing stats. Besides a few of Smiths runs were "designed" plays and not just busted scrambles. </P>

</P>

miked1958
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Yep. Awesome... We are again a team of DESTINY and FATE this year and the Jets, Cowboys, Atlanta, GB and SF just got in the way.....</P>

The Pats are next up Standing in the way trying to stop the run away TRAIN... but everyone knows the old saying....</P>

" YOU CANT FIGHT FATE".......!!!!!</P>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
@buddy33

Umm I could be wrong but I thought the Ravens had the #1 Red Zone Defense? But hey doesnt matter how ya get to the SB as long as you get there.
Honestly in the end thats all that matters, like the W in the end of any game.

It just sad how people like to skew things, and always seem to forget the other side of the game. No one enjoys being told they got lucky, or it was a fluke.

If the refs do not screw you then you made your own destiny.

SF had the best turnover differential, and even GB was near the tops. I did not hear how lucky they got with all of those turnovers. And it greatly covered the GBs defense, and SFs offense. Even the Pats I believe have a very good turnover differential.

So when they get turnovers its not lucky, just the status quo, but if we make the plays to get them, well your lucky they dropped the ball, didn't get the pick, fumbled. Interesting how that is hypocritical.

buddy33
01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought I heard the 49ers where the best redzone defense but I could be wrong.

Back to how they won the game, it's because they where the better team. Don't forget the gift the 49ers got when the ball slipped away from Osi. I'm just tired of hearing people make excuses why the Giants won. Like the other teams had everything going against them.

Morehead State
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

I knew this **** would happen.<FONT size=4> Come on man. I post on here all the time amd I ever a "Giants suck"</FONT> <FONT size=4>kind of poster??</FONT> I don think I ever am and I dont think I am being that way now. I am not complaining about anything at all. I just like to look at the game with what took place. The Giants didnt turn the ball over and they took advantage of the turnovers they got. Eli got hammered all game and still didn throw a pick with 58 attempts in the rainwhich was freaking awesome!!!!!The defense held up mostly and kept the Niners in check.</P>

BTW....when a QB runs those are legit yards and I never take them away from rushing stats. Besides a few of Smiths runs were "designed" plays and not just busted scrambles. </P>

</P>

</P>

Which makes your posts so surprising.</P>

We won because we were the better team on the field. Both defenses played very well but we moved the ball better and didn't turn it over, (in bad conditions)</P>

Thats "How we won".</P>

DragonSoul
01-24-2012, 11:02 AM

</P>

*</P>

<FONT color=#ffff00></FONT>*</P>

<FONT color=#ffff00></FONT>*</P>

</P>

First of all that rushing stat is skewed by the fact that 42 yards of Smith scrambles pad that stat.* Secondly we won the game because we played better than they did, in their stadium.* It was us who didn't turn the ball over despite tough field and weather conditions.* It was us who had more yards and far greater time of possession.</P>

Again, you seem to be complaining about "the way we won the game".* I'm telling you that we won the game because we played better than they did.</P>

We were simply the better team on that field on Sunday.* Any other outcome would have been a travesty.* * I really don't get your point here.</P>

</P>

I knew this **** would happen.<FONT size=4> Come on man. I post on here all the time amd I ever a "Giants suck"</FONT> <FONT size=4>kind of poster??</FONT> I don think I ever am and I dont think I am being that way now. I am not complaining about anything at all. I just like to look at the game with what took place. The Giants didnt turn the ball over and they took advantage of the turnovers they got. Eli got hammered all game and still didn throw a pick with 58 attempts in the rain*which was freaking awesome!!!!!*The defense held up mostly and kept the Niners in check.</P>

*</P>

</P>

Which makes your posts so surprising.</P>

We won because we were the better team on the field.* Both defenses played very well but we moved the ball better and didn't turn it over, (in bad conditions)</P>

Thats "How we won".</P>If Eli played like Alex Smith we would have lost by the first half.

Realize that Alex was only sacked 3 times I believe. He had a working run game, and a function offensive line, and arguably the best defense in the league.

Eli was hit about 25 times, had a very porous pass blocking from his line, and the run game was dismal. He was nearly getting hit on nearly every other passing attempt. If he passed 58 times and hit about 25 (number seems to change by 1-3 every time i hear it), that means he was hit 43% of the time.

He actually threw it well in a pretty windy day and add rain on top of it.

Smith was 1-13 on 3rd down (and that 1 completion was a hail mary at the end of the first half)
He only hit 1 wr for 3 yards
His last 6-8 plays that he threw for ended up in negative 7 yards.

And it was posted some where else, that we won every statistical battle. If all those numbers do not show how we won the game, then I do not know what does.

Down-lifer
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
That is amazing. The Giants aren't getting enough credit for their playoff run.Are you surprised? I mean even when our own fans do not. I heard on the radio, people saying oh year if they didn't screw up the punts, or that abs non-fumble was a fumble. Some of them are just lemmings, and brainless.

No one mentioned all the non-calls, or OSI that didn't not recover a fumble because of the wet ground. Works both ways.

We were prepared, and made plays, they did not, and it was the ST at the end of the day that killed them. But i can say i felt very comfortable even if they didn't fumble. What offense did they have? 1 wr caught a pass for 3 yards? I think Smiths last 6-8 passes (plays) he gained -7 yards total if i heard correctly. Tell me how that offense was going to win it? Only by the defense or STs.Also, let's not forget that the NFL comes down to execution and making plays! Williams didn't just let go of the ball and hand it to the Giants! Our rookie LB made a tremendous mid-air play and stripped the ball! The Giants made more plays and executed, that's why we won. Go Giants!!!!!!

JJC7301
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM

</P>

They beat the team with the # 1 D. They didn't do it on offense alone, but as a team. They won that game fair and square. It came down to who was going to make mistakes, and it wasn't the Giants.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

JJC7301
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
That is amazing. The Giants aren't getting enough credit for their playoff run.Are you surprised? I mean even when our own fans do not. I heard on the radio, people saying oh year if they didn't screw up the punts, or that abs non-fumble was a fumble. Some of them are just lemmings, and brainless. No one mentioned all the non-calls, or OSI that didn't not recover a fumble because of the wet ground. Works both ways. We were prepared, and made plays, they did not, and it was the ST at the end of the day that killed them. But i can say i felt very comfortable even if they didn't fumble. What offense did they have? 1 wr caught a pass for 3 yards? I think Smiths last 6-8 passes (plays) he gained -7 yards total if i heard correctly. Tell me how that offense was going to win it? Only by the defense or STs.</P>

I agree -- if the Giants had made those mistakes, it would have been said that the 49ers just played within their game and waited for us to make mistakes. Honestly though, I only see 49er supporters not giving us much credit.</P>

appletree943
01-24-2012, 01:22 PM
can a Giants fan honestly say they BEAT the 49ers defense?

GameTime
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
can a Giants fan honestly say they BEAT the 49ers defense?</P>

They beat them in every aspect of the game as another poster pointed out. They did get timely turnovers. One was unprovoked and they other was forced. So whats the problem. I had posted that the Giants did win but there was fortunate plays. But that happens in many games all the time. they took advantage of the things during the game. </P>

So yeah the Giants beat the Niners. The Niners made it hard on thmselves to win with the bothched punt and ****ty offense. 1 completion to a WR the whole game. 1 third down conversion. The abandon the run too soon. They also didnt plat safe with the ball. They ****ed up. You **** up in the NFL and you lose...</P>

Then again you are an Eagles fan you should befamilarwith losing.....Or at least not winning the big one....</P>

rick5292
01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I thought the Saints had the No 1 offense? If so, then we beat the team which had the No 1 defense which had previously beaten the No 1 offense.
<font size="5">
Still, that means squat</font>. We barely won Sunday because of that defense. But the fact we hung in there and made a D which specializes in takeaways give the ball up was a testament to our resiliancy. I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty win. It was ugly. It was painful. It was muddy, rainy and dirty. But....in the end....someone had to win and we pulled it out.

I take nothing away from the Pats. They're a solid, ,well balanced team. However, I would not consider them a 'powerhouse' or 'dominant'. Talented, cohesive, smart and experienced -yes, all the way around. But we just scratched and clawed our way to the Superbowl by beating the defending champs and THE best D in the league whereas the Pats could've easily, hands down lost to the Ravens. Even Brady said after the game that it wasn't his best play. And Brady does not play his best when he doesn't have time and only a solid defense can screw up a QB/Receiver's timing (ahem, Rodgers)

We need to go into this Superbowl as if it were WW3. No mercy. A dog fight, just like Tuck said. We have to show everyone that we're not a fluke and just a product of 'peaking' at the right time while high-powered teams like the Pack and Saints may have been 'losing steam' or 'getting rusty'

<font color="#FF0000">Yeah, it really doesn't matter that we beat two of the top teams in the league.....

<font color="#000000">Re-read Dargon's post. He's just making a simple point that we beat them in general...seriously. It's nice to know that we OUTPLAYED both of the best teams in the league imo</font>
</font>

EZ_E
01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
can a Giants fan honestly say they BEAT the 49ers defense?

I can honestly say we beat the 49ers defense. We drove down the field for the 1st TD pass to Pascoe and drove down the field for a FG before the half. Cruz was torching Pro Bowl CB C.Rogers and that defense in the 1st half.

In the 2nd half the 49ers did what all great defensive teams do and made adjustments, shutting down our offense. After the 1st punt turnover, our offense again beat the 49er defense on a 3rd & 15 for a TD. One could argue if we don't beat the defense for a TD and instead have to settle for a FG, we lose the game right there and the "Kyle Williams excuse" becomes a moot point.