PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh highly frustrated, says non fumble like tuck rule:

TuckYou
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Jim Harbaugh's inner world is not for sale.</P>

During his season-ending press conference Monday, the 49ers coach grew frustrated with questions he deemed too chatty in the wake of Sunday's NFC championship loss to the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers#menu=highlights).</P>

"How did you spend your time after the game? What did you do last night?" a reporter asked.</P>

The Press Democrat reported (http://m.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120123/sports/120129791/1010/cohn_harbaugh_gets_in_touch_with_his_inner_child;j sessionid=3A93516BB544116E2F9386E0CB6BA153.m1) that Harbaugh emitted an awkward giggle before diving headfirst into a bristling account of life on the West Coast.</P>

"Is it just California -- that everybody just wants to know how you feel?" Harbaugh asked the room. "Care about what you thought, what you did, how you felt, how your pinky feels."</P>

"Is that just a California thing? Back where I come from, nobody really cares. In my opinion, it is a California thing."</P>

Harbaugh insisted he didn't "feel comfortable" discussing his feelings, calling that "a Midwestern thing."</P>

Please.</P>

Harbaugh isn't exactly fresh off the bus. Michigan roots aside, he attended Palo Alto High School before stints with the Raiders, the University of San Diego, Stanford, and now the Niners. In a season that offered a heavy dose of joy in the streets of San Francisco, Harbaugh left the Bay Area shaking its head this time around.</P>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82646c6d/article/49ers-harbaugh-takes-california-to-task-in-mondays-presser?module=HP11_around-the-league</P>

Earnest Byner made championship game history with <FONT color=#364c88>The Fumble</FONT> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8boPbIfG0M). Twenty-four years later, the 49ers are lamenting The Fumble ... That Wasn't.</P>

It happened with 2:29 remaining in regulation of <FONT color=#364c88>Sunday's NFC Championship Game</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers). With the score tied at 17, Giants running back <FONT color=#364c88>Ahmad Bradshaw</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmadbradshaw/profile?id=BRA254359) caught a pass from <FONT color=#364c88>Eli Manning</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/players/elimanning/profile?id=MAN473170) and had the ball stripped before he went to the ground at New York's 21-yard line. The 49ers recovered the ball, putting them in prime position for the winning score.</P>

But the play was blown dead, with game officials ruling Bradshaw's forward progress had been stopped before the ball popped loose.</P>

The Giants retained possession and punted the ball out of their territory. The 49ers never sniffed the red zone again in <FONT color=#364c88>a heartbreaking 20-17 overtime loss</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers).</P>

"In my opinion, that was a fumble," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said during his news conference Monday. "I'm sure the league will defend it and the officials will defend it. But to me, that play was still going on. There was still struggling by Bradshaw. ... I felt like it was analogous with the tuck rule."</P>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8263fcc3/article/niners-harbaugh-nofumble-call-analogous-with-the-tuck-rule</P>

galaxy10
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Geez, is it a mid west thing to blame the loss on the refs? How about acting like a class act and say you were beaten by the better team and move on.

SackingMyths
01-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I spent the whole season trying to figure out who was the real scumbag- Harbaugh or Jim Schwartz.

Turns out the answer was- BOTH

GmenFan1980
01-24-2012, 10:15 AM
like i said in the OTHER Bradshaw fumble thread...........Bummer! :/

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I spent the whole season trying to figure out who was the real scumbag- Harbaugh or Jim Schwartz.

did you see his BS handshake with Coughlin ... i mean Coughlin is one of the real good guys in the sport and he pulls that stuff ... i realize he wears his emotions on his sleeve, but give Tom a proper congrats and then go whine to the press

miked1958
01-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Jim Harbaugh's inner world is not for sale.</P>

During his season-ending press conference Monday, the 49ers coach grew frustrated with questions he deemed too chatty in the wake of Sunday's NFC championship loss to the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers#menu=highlights).</P>

"How did you spend your time after the game? What did you do last night?" a reporter asked.</P>

The Press Democrat reported (http://m.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120123/sports/120129791/1010/cohn_harbaugh_gets_in_touch_with_his_inner_child;j sessionid=3A93516BB544116E2F9386E0CB6BA153.m1) that Harbaugh emitted an awkward giggle before diving headfirst into a bristling account of life on the West Coast.</P>

"Is it just California -- that everybody just wants to know how you feel?" Harbaugh asked the room. "Care about what you thought, what you did, how you felt, how your pinky feels."</P>

"Is that just a California thing? Back where I come from, nobody really cares. In my opinion, it is a California thing."</P>

Harbaugh insisted he didn't "feel comfortable" discussing his feelings, calling that "a Midwestern thing."</P>

Please.</P>

Harbaugh isn't exactly fresh off the bus. Michigan roots aside, he attended Palo Alto High School before stints with the Raiders, the University of San Diego, Stanford, and now the Niners. In a season that offered a heavy dose of joy in the streets of San Francisco, Harbaugh left the Bay Area shaking its head this time around.</P>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82646c6d/article/49ers-harbaugh-takes-california-to-task-in-mondays-presser?module=HP11_around-the-league</P>

Earnest Byner made championship game history with <FONT color=#364c88>The Fumble</FONT> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8boPbIfG0M). Twenty-four years later, the 49ers are lamenting The Fumble ... That Wasn't.</P>

It happened with 2:29 remaining in regulation of <FONT color=#364c88>Sunday's NFC Championship Game</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers). With the score tied at 17, Giants running back <FONT color=#364c88>Ahmad Bradshaw</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmadbradshaw/profile?id=BRA254359) caught a pass from <FONT color=#364c88>Eli Manning</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/players/elimanning/profile?id=MAN473170) and had the ball stripped before he went to the ground at New York's 21-yard line. The 49ers recovered the ball, putting them in prime position for the winning score.</P>

But the play was blown dead, with game officials ruling Bradshaw's forward progress had been stopped before the ball popped loose.</P>

The Giants retained possession and punted the ball out of their territory. The 49ers never sniffed the red zone again in <FONT color=#364c88>a heartbreaking 20-17 overtime loss</FONT> (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers).</P>

"In my opinion, that was a fumble," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said during his news conference Monday. "I'm sure the league will defend it and the officials will defend it. But to me, that play was still going on. There was still struggling by Bradshaw. ... I felt like it was analogous with the tuck rule."</P>

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8263fcc3/article/niners-harbaugh-nofumble-call-analogous-with-the-tuck-rule</P>

</P>

If any team needs to stand up on a soap box and scream about bad calls or non calls its the Giants. PLEASE</P>

PatsFanNH
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
GAWD:

1. the whistle blew thus the play is DEAD.. it doesnt matter if you think its a fumble or not the whistle blew...

2. The Tuck Rule was CALLED CORRECTLY! It sucks as a rule but it was called 100% correct!

I am so tired of CALIFORNIA teams whining about why they lost, as an impartial outsider it was sad one of the two teams had to lose, BOTH deserved to win and played hard and well enough to win. But with this comment I am so glad he lost.

NYFan221
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/09000d5d8263fe84/Bradshaw-s-controversial-near-fumble

look where the ref "spots" the ball after it gets ripped out. he is 2-3 yards up the field from where the ball was stripped. bradshaw had stop moving forward at the spot the ref set, was going backwards, still was struggling, but was in the process of falling down (backwards) when the ball was ripped out.

i don't get whats wrong about that. if i was in their position i would probably feel the same way, but theres no way that was the wrong call.

NYFan221
01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
make that 1-2 yards, not 2-3*

Scarfacee71
01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

did you see his BS handshake with Coughlin ... i mean Coughlin is one of the real good guys in the sport and he pulls that stuff ... i realize he wears his emotions on his sleeve, but give Tom a proper congrats and then go whine to the press

Yea that bothered me. He didn't even look at coughlin

ikebibby91
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Who says that they would have won had the gotten possession. It is a bit presumptuous considering the fact that our D shut them completely down in the fourth quarter. Sour grapes.

buddy33
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Lol. Really? Of course he does.

It was not a fumble and it was probably the easiest call the refs made all day. So what would be the right call? To have an offensive player held up, pushed back, and stripped of the ball? So I guess when a guy makes a 1st down but then gets pushed back he losses the 1st down?

The play that happened the other day happens all the time and is a non issue. It's not even like its a new rule. Did the whistle even matter? He was stopped and pushed back. Play over.

ikebibby91
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Who says that they would have won had the gotten possession. It is a bit presumptuous considering the fact that our D shut them completely down in the fourth quarter. Sour grapes.

I meant a score, who can say.

blueomaha
01-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Yea that bothered me. He didn't even look at coughlinJ. Harbaugh is a very good coach with no class....

gmen0820
01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Whistle was blown, FP was ended, no fumble can't challenge.

G-Dawg92
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
So does this mean that the 9ers will go into football oblivion for 7+ years, ala the Raiders?

Great!

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Funny.</P>

in my opinion, SF lost because you put the ball in the hands of a QB who had 1 reception to a WR all day, and out of the hands of your RB who averaged 4.6 yards per carry.</P>

oh, and you didn'tspend 9.5 seconds walking up to your ST returner after he DOVE to catch a fair-catch punt and say "i don't care how many yards you get on a return,ball security is your #1 priority"</P>

So you can say you thought that was a fumble, and i can say if you would have coached up your team and gameplan properly, you wouldn't have needed that call like a crack-head needs a hit.</P>

nihan87
01-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I feel like its Jim not letting go on that, which is totally understandable. They had so many more chances to makes something happen, so he can't really blame the lose entirely on that.

ny06
01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Here's what I think about your opinion Harbaugh.</P>

http://righttruth.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c49a69e201538e1ed9d6970b-320wi</P>

TuckYou
01-24-2012, 10:38 AM
oh, and you didn'tspend 9.5 seconds walking up to your ST returner after he DOVE to catch a fair-catch punt and say "i don't care how many yards you get on a return,ball security is your #1 priority"</P>

</P>

Wow. Totally forgot about that. When I saw that, me and my buddies were like "Jim is going to take him out of the game for that right there." And he didnt. That was even dumber then him getting stripped in the end. The one that went off his knee was pretty stupid too. The fumble he had on the reverse play was a horrible play call by Jim though.</P>

Kruunch
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Ironically we'd be busting a coronary right now had our positions been reversed.

I understood the call and agree with it ... and I also knew instantly that if I was a 49ers fan, I'd have lost my **** all over the place.

However in any really tight game, you can look at any of a couple of dozens of things that happened and say to yourself "if only ...".

Tough way to lose ... but it's a loss just the same.

SackingMyths
01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Totally, my man. It was hard to miss. All the more reason that I have the utmost respect for TC and am proud to call this my team.

Win or lose with class...it's a dying philosophy

TuckYou
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM
They are about to talk about this on 1st Take. Watch it now on ESPN2

CA Jints Fan
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
As Mariucci said it best years ago after the "snap" debacle...."BUMMER!"

JJC7301
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
It was the right call. AB already got the 1st and he was wrapped up, sitting on top of a 49er or two basically not able to defend himself. If they refs didn't blow the whistle, what's to prevent a 49er from just taking a free open blast at him. The whistle was blown, correctly, because the play was done. </P>

If it happened to us, for me it would have just hurt momentarily but I would have accepted the call because I know it was right. And I highly doubt that TC would have been complaining about that call.</P>

galaxy10
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Totally, my man. It was hard to miss. All the more reason that I have the utmost respect for TC and am proud to call this my team.

Win or lose with class...it's a dying philosophy

Right on. Harbaugh disgusts me. Good to see his brother has some class though. At least his parents taught one on them how to lose with class.

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Ironically we'd be busting a coronary right now had our positions been reversed. I understood the call and agree with it ... and I also knew instantly that if I was a 49ers fan, I'd have lost my **** all over the place. However in any really tight game, you can look at any of a couple of dozens of things that happened and say to yourself "if only ...". Tough way to lose ... but it's a loss just the same.</P>

at the time i thought it was a good call, and suggested the same thing you did, which is you have to picture gore carrying and the quick whistle due to forward progress being stopped.if itwas gore, i would still think it was a good call.</P>

i had the game taped and rewound it a couple times and it seemed like the right call, was the whistle quick? Maybe, but there were 3 guys on Bradshaw and he was pushed back a yard.</P>

the clips i've seen online sound like the whistle was after the fumble but i know for a fact that during the actual broadcast, buck, aikman and pereira all agreed the whistle was blown before the ball came out and forward progress was stopped.</P>

and Harbaugh hasn't argued that the whistle came after the fumble, only that the whistle was quick.</P>

</P>

OX1
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Why didn't the "better team" just go out and score somemore points then. Easy enough
if your the "better team".

Mohann
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Ironically we'd be busting a coronary right now had our positions been reversed.

I understood the call and agree with it ... and I also knew instantly that if I was a 49ers fan, I'd have lost my **** all over the place.

Not true. I'm stunned at the fuss being made. Forward momentum had stopped. The play is supposed to be stopped dead there. Why? So one guy doesn't hold up the ball carrier and the other strips it while he's helpless. The rule is designed to prevent exactly what SF wanted to happen. Too bad for them. This is an unbelievable display of poor sportsmanship. Not for a second did I think it should be called any other way, no matter who it was called on.

nygfanmaybe
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I felt the moment that I saw the play that his forward progress was stopped and they should blow the whistle...but I have to admit that when that ball popped-out my heart almost jumped out of my chest.

M0rbid
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Someone remind him, his team got away with so many penalties, its not even funny.

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Why didn't the "better team" just go out and score somemore points then. Easy enough
</P>

given the conditions and how we struggled with gore, the game shouldn't have been nearly as close as it was.</P>

they had our offense locked down in the 2nd half, they should have given the ball to gore 30 times and worked off the play action and used akers to kick a bunch of field goals.</P>

how do you screw that up?</P>

now we've got 4 starting quality DEs playing in a dome with one of the fastest fields in the NFL.</P>

TuckYou
01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
</P>

given the conditions and how we struggled with gore, the game shouldn't have been nearly as close as it was.</P>

they had our offense locked down in the 2nd half, they should have given the ball to gore 30 times and worked off the play action and used akers to kick a bunch of field goals.</P>

now we've got 4 starting quality DEs playing in a dome with one of the fastest fields in the NFL.</P>

</P>

And we wont have to really worry about Brady breaking out of the pocket and running the ball like Smith and Rodgers.</P>

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
</P>

</P>

And we wont have to really worry about Brady breaking out of the pocket and running the ball like Smith and Rodgers.</P>

</P>

exactly. Now we've got a QB who's EXCLUSIVELY a pocket passer and a really fast field.</P>

the SF fans are all cheezed at Williams and the refs.</P>

meanwhile, the winning formula was under their noses and none of them seem to see it.</P>

i think the emotional win over the Saints really tainted the coach's judgement for our game.</P>

they racked up 150 rushing yards on us, and in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, plus overtime, i think they ran the ball 3 times?</P>

they decided "Alex Smith got us here, let's put the ball in his hands".</P>

Can't imagine how frank gore felt standing their thinking, i'm almost 5 yards a carry today, what's your ****ing damage coach? "</P>

</P>