PDA

View Full Version : Delay of game before field goal in OT

eastbayblue
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Turns out Tynes says it was a good thing, quote "We actually in hindsight got a really good spot after the delay of
game," Tynes said. "Because [the spot for] 26 was pure sand and dirt.
And then we go back 5 and it's just a nice little patch of grass. So
that was cool."

<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">

</div>

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Turns out Tynes says it was a good thing, quote "We actually in hindsight got a really good spot after the delay of
that was cool."

<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">

</div>

i wasn't happy at the time .. .especially with our FG horror show history at SF, but a great point is that Cundiff missed his FG with 1 sec. on game clock, so those 5 yards were probably well worth giving the whole FG unit time to collect themselves and execute

CDN_G-FAN
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Turns out Tynes says it was a good thing, quote "We actually in hindsight got a really good spot after the delay of game," Tynes said. "Because [the spot for] 26 was pure sand and dirt. And then we go back 5 and it's just a nice little patch of grass. So that was cool."

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

</DIV>

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>see? we only won because of luck......</FONT></P>

JJC7301
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Turns out Tynes says it was a good thing, quote "We actually in hindsight got a really good spot after the delay of game," Tynes said. "Because [the spot for] 26 was pure sand and dirt. And then we go back 5 and it's just a nice little patch of grass. So that was cool."

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

</DIV>

i wasn't happy at the time .. .especially with our FG horror show history at SF, but a great point is that Cundiff missed his FG with 1 sec. on game clock, so those 5 yards were probably well worth giving the whole FG unit time to collect themselves and execute\</P>

Me neither. I couldn't believe that they actually had a delay of game penalty on a game winning kick in OT of the NFC championship game. The Giants are the champions of delay of game penalties. </P>

Good thing it didn't cost them -- can you imagine THAT conversation.</P>

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 01:34 PM

</DIV>

i wasn't happy at the time .. .especially with our FG horror show history at SF, but a great point is that Cundiff missed his FG with 1 sec. on game clock, so those 5 yards were probably well worth giving the whole FG unit time to collect themselves and execute\</P>

Me neither.* I couldn't believe that they actually had a delay of game penalty on a game winning kick in OT of the NFC championship game.* The Giants are the champions of delay of game penalties.* </P>

it may have been calculated ... A. we didn't want to kick a fire drill FG like Baltimore did and B. we didn't want to use our only timeout (did we even have one?, they give you 1 in OT) ... in the event we needed to challenge something if Tynes missed it and the game continued

miked1958
01-24-2012, 01:41 PM

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

</DIV>

</P>

I keep saying over and over its Fate at work again for these Giants. And we all know the old saying about it.. You Cant Fight Fate</P>

NYG4ME
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Let us also give credit for coughlin and the coaches for NOT calling timeout and Icing our own kicker.. We'll leave that for Jason Garrett and the cowboys lol.

Zaggs
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
that was cool."

</div>

Or in reality Tynes was thinking "Geez Weatherford, I know you're on the cusp of going to the Superbowl for the first time but even Eli on the sideline sees the clock winding down so please hike the damn ball". Except he'll cover for Steve in public. Sarcasm aside, you know Steve was nervous as anything.

Zaggs
01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Let us also give credit for coughlin and the coaches for NOT calling timeout and Icing our own kicker.. We'll leave that for Jason Garrett and the cowboys lol.

Delay of game does the same thing as a time out.

Gianthunter
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM

</DIV>

Me neither. I couldn't believe that they actually had a delay of game penalty on a game winning kick in OT of the NFC championship game. The Giants are the champions of delay of game penalties. </P>

Good thing it didn't cost them -- can you imagine THAT conversation.</P> it may have been calculated ... A. we didn't want to kick a fire drill FG like Baltimore did and B. we didn't want to use our only timeout (did we even have one?, they give you 1 in OT) ... in the event we needed to challenge something if Tynes missed it and the game continuedNo challenges in OT.

krygny
01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
It was a low-pressure kick:
It was a chip-shot. It was only 3rd down. It wasn't do-or-die. If he misses, the game just continues.

Ruttiger711
01-24-2012, 02:25 PM

<LI>It was a chip-shot.
<LI>It was only 3rd down.
<LI>It wasn't do-or-die. If he misses, the game just continues.</LI>

</P>

A kick to get in to the superbowl is low pressure? With Tynes?</P>

- There is no chip shot for Tynes - He shanked the extra point after the Pascoe td... it barely got in.</P>

- His other field goal - also 31 yards was straight yes... it was also about a foot from the upright... </P>

Tynes - cardiac kicker for the ages - never low pressure - never a dull moment. </P>

GmenFan1980
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM

<LI>It was a chip-shot.
<LI>It was only 3rd down.
<LI>It wasn't do-or-die. If he misses, the game just continues.</LI>

</P>

A kick to get in to the superbowl is low pressure? With Tynes?</P>

- There is no chip shot for Tynes - He shanked the extra point after the Pascoe td... it barely got in.</P>

- His other field goal - also 31 yards was straight yes... it was also about a foot from the upright... </P>

Tynes - cardiac kicker for the ages - never low pressure - never a dull moment.* </P>

That's why he is our kicker ;). Never a dull moment with this team lol

G-Man67
01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
No challenges in OT.

ah right, all booth reviews, altho you could really stretch it and say that sometimes a coach will call a TO to give the booth more time to decide they want to stop the game and take a look at a play

it is funny how similar the situations with Baltimore and the Giants were then ... neither coach wanted to ice their own kicker, but both probably shoulda called timeout

yatitle
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
that was cool."

</div>

Reality is if Tynes misses that FG and Giants lose the game, TC would have been skewered for not calling TO. I love TC to death but when they showed Eli trying to get him to call a TO it sure seemed like TC was having a "senior moment".

nygsb42champs
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
That is one penalty that worked out well for us.

TRZ
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
FWIW, we had 3 timeouts. In the postseason, each team gets 3 timeouts for overtime. We definitely should have taken a timeout.

freeoscar
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
the unheralded part of the game was Bradshaw picking up all those yards after the fumble recovery. All 60mm people watching the game knew he was going to get it, they were going up against the best rush D in the league, and he did a fantastic job.

JPP
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM

</DIV>

Me neither.* I couldn't believe that they actually had a delay of game penalty on a game winning kick in OT of the NFC championship game.* The Giants are the champions of delay of game penalties.* </P>

The best was Eli running up to Coughlin trying to say take a time out, it isn't like Eli is the best at avoiding delay of game penalties so I found it pretty funny.

vcruz2013
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
It was a chip-shot. It was only 3rd down. It wasn't do-or-die. If he misses, the game just continues.

I'm pretty sure if he misses it would be a TB, San Fran ball... if the holder spiked it because of a bad snap or something, he would have another opportunity.

giantsforce
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Giving credit for not calling TO? So the penalty does not have the same effect as a TO? i.e. interruption of the game? Give me a break, this shows that none of the coaching staff had any clock awareness.

vcruz2013
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Giving credit for not calling TO? So the penalty does not have the same effect as a TO? i.e. interruption of the game? Give me a break, this shows that none of the coaching staff had any clock awareness.

lol

Markroman
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
When the ball was at the 9 or so...I seriously thought Eli should playaction and throw the fade to Nicks in the corner.

With the sloppy conditions, I thought a shot to the end zone would totally mess up the 49ers.

Hell...that is just me.

giantsforce
01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
When the ball was at the 9 or so...I seriously thought Eli should playaction and throw the fade to Nicks in the corner.

With the sloppy conditions, I thought a shot to the end zone would totally mess up the 49ers.

Hell...that is just me.Oh Man. You are asking for imagination out of Killdrive? Not going to happen! On the other hand, do we really want to take a chance at an INT?